Vanilla Play - A Fresh View

Owiin

A different and challenging way to play -

The rules:

Create a strategic deck using no EXes or Pokemon with abilities.

The goal of Vanilla Play is to create fun, close games - a way of playing for thinkers and fun-seekers, the skilled and the unchallenged and the up-and-coming and just about anyone. If you're not interested in playing this way, don't play this way.

A few others and I have started playing Vanilla and it's nothing new or inventive, I know - but I felt there needed to be an organized forum for it - I couldn't find one easily by searching. All our games have been great and intense, and it seems like a lot of people would rather see other ways of play such as this.

I'd like our thread to be a place where we can discuss Vanilla Play and post our thoughts and play games together. So, post and let me know if you wanna play a game with your Vanilla deck! :]

No EX and no abilities? I used to try look for games like this in the lobbies and I didn't get a lot of responses :(

It could maybe have a different name from vanilla? (Vanilla is usually synonymous with boring, and games like this are much more exciting than battles against generic decks.) But it would be great if more people played like this :) :)

Well, Vanilla implies no necessary extras. Simple; tasteful. I got the term from Minecraft, playing with no modifications or anything is called Vanilla, and it's my favorite way to play. I'd definitely like to find more people who play like this, and I'd definitely like a rematch with you using my Vanilla deck, Bethany!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could probably whip up a decent vanilla deck. ^^

EDIT: Oh, turns out I have a decent Steel/Electric deck that fits the criteria. Any preference on types or generation? Aka are Steel, Dark or Dragon types ok?

• 2 weeks later...

i reeeeeeaaaaaalllllly like the sound of this. I always think when things go vanilla you're true skills are tested rather than the power of the game you are playing.

I'll defo be setting up a vanilla deck. count me in! are we having tournaments? even without prizes that would be sweeeeeet

I'm not so sure about removing abilities from play but I do really like the idea of being able to play an EX free game. Abilities show up on everything from basics to stage 2's, as well as the ex's. Just a little check box or button some where like the modified or unlimited, to remove ex's from play would make for another fun, fair and interesting way to play.

Archived