(For new players.) A very detailed guide to Pokemon TCGO.

Bethany1234

Hello! :) I made a VERY detailed guide that I can almost guarantee will answer ALL of your questions about the game (tokens, how to get free cards, etc). I hope it helps! :)

NOTE: This will be updated again sometime in the first two weeks of May 2013 :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents:

0. Part Zero: My personal comments

I. Frequently Asked Questions

II. The Game

II.1. Play (the right arrow icon)

II.1.A. Trainer Challenge

II.1.B. Versus Mode

II.1.C. Tournament Mode

II.2 Profile (the person icon)

II.3. Avatar (the t-shirt icon)

II.4. Collection (the card icon)

II.4.A. Cards

II.4.B. Packs

II.4.C. Items

II.4.D. For Trade

II.4.E. Wanted

II.5.*. Review

II.5. Deck Manager (the deck icon)

II.5.A. Deck Wizard

II.5.B. New Deck (how to build a deck)

II.5.C. Deck details and cloning

II.6. Trade (the circular arrows icon)

II.6.A. Public Offers

II.6.B. ffers to Me

II.6.C. My Trade Offers

II.6.D. New Public Trade

II.6.E. New Private Trade

II.6.*. Trade History

II.7. Shop (the bag icon)

II.7.A. Shop Home

II.7.B. Cards

II.7.C. Gameplay Items

II.7.D. Avatar Items

II.7.E. Redeem Codes

II.7.*. Buy Gems

II.7.G. Account History

II.8. Notifications (the envelope icon)

II.9. Friends (the people icon)

II.9.A. Requests

II.9.B. Public

II.9.C. Friends

II.9.D. Blocking and reporting people

II.10. Settings (the cog icon)

II.11. Help (the question mark icon)

III. Final Comments

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Zero: My personal comments:

So, this is, by my count, the third player-made guide here in the Pokemon TCGO PvP sub-forum, after imobvmafia's "ACTUAL Frequently Asked Questions" and AlexManectric's "New Players Guide 1.0." Since I have no life and usually tend to hang around in the lobbies answering questions, I thought I would try making my own guide as well :cool:

The first part of this guide has the most Frequently Asked Questions in the game. The second part is a (hopefully) complete guide to every aspect of the game :)

I. Frequently Asked Questions

1. TOKENS = What are tokens for? Tokens are for the Trainer Fun Zone of the official Pokemon website. In the future, they will be used to buy cards and items, though it has not been confirmed exactly when that will be.

2. BINDER = What is a binder and how can I look at one? A binder is somebody's collection of the cards/packs/decks/coins that they have for trade. You look at somebody's binder by going to "Trade," then "New Private Trade," then typing in the person's name on the left, then click "In Exchange For," then click "Add," then unclick "Show Only Items I Want." That is their binder of cards for trade.

3. CARD VALUE = How do I know what my cards are worth? You can find out by going to the "Online Trading Zone" subforum and looking at player-made value guides...but read the comments first, because some guides are more respected than others!

4. CONTACT = In the game, how do I add somebody as a friend or send them a private message? This is explained in lots of detail in the "II.9. Friends (the people icon)" section of this guide :)

5. FREE CARDS = How can I get free cards? The first way is through beta rewards, which will give you a free pack every five days. The second way is to type "boundariescrossed" or "plasmastorm" in the Redeem Code section for the Free Power Relay deck. You can do this as many times as you like to get lots of copies of all the cards in that deck.

6. GLITCH = What is the binder glitch? For some people, the cards they tag for trade cannot be seen by others. When they tag cards for trade, the tags disappear after they log out and everything is untagged again when they log back in. Every time. This binder glitch has affected several people and the first noted occurrence (to my knowledge) was right after the February 6-7 game update when Plasma Storm was introduced. So if it looks like somebody has no cards for trade, it may be better to ask them if they have this glitch, before screaming, "U LIER U HAV NO CARDZ 4 TRAD!!!one!!11!" :( :cool: :cool:

7. NO TRADABLE VERSIONS = Why is the game saying that I have "no tradable versions" of a card? Cards that the game gave you for free (from free decks/boosters) cannot be traded :cool:

8. REDEEMING = How do I get packs or theme decks? You buy a pack or theme deck in real life. Each has ONE code card that you can use in the online game.

9. TRADING = How do I trade? This is explained in lots of detail in the "II.6. Trade (the circular arrows icon)" section of this guide :)

10. TOURNAMENTS = How do I get tournament keys and join tournaments? Officially, the tournament feature or anything related to it is not yet available.

11. WANTED = Where can I see a complete list of cards in the game to add to my wanted list? This is explained in lots of detail in the "II.4.E. Wanted" section of this guide :)

II. The Game

II.1. Play (the right arrow icon)

---

II.1.A. Trainer Challenge

Explanation: The Trainer Challenge is kind of like the “story mode” of Pokemon TCGO. Zach and Ella, two trainers, welcome you to their store. The purpose of the Trainer Challenge is to familiarize players with the mechanics of the game.

The Leagues: There are three Leagues in the Trainer Challenge: The Gold League, the Platinum League, and the City Championship. You need to defeat twelve players in each League, in that order (Gold --> Platinum --> City), before moving on to the next League. You do not win any special cards or items if you fully complete the entire Trainer Challenge.

The Decks: The only three decks you can use in the Trainer Challenge are the Basic Blue, Basic Green, and Basic Red decks. If you use them against the trainers, you can unlock a few cards for each deck. If you win with a deck seven times, then you will be able to use that deck outside the Trainer Challenge (like in Practice Battle Mode and PvP mode).

---

II.1.B. Versus Mode

Opponent Type: There are three types of opponents: Practice Battle, Player VS Player, and Friend Battle.

Practice Battle means that you can choose from four difficulties (Beginner, Intermediate, Hard, Expert) where you will play against a random trainer from the Trainer Challenge.

Player VS Player means that you will be playing against other people. There is NO difference between Novice and Expert; some people use advanced decks in Novice and some people use basic decks in Expert.

Friend Battle lets you play against a person who is on your Friends list.

Play Type: There are three types of play modes: Modified, Unlimited, and Theme.

Modified means that you can only use cards that are allowed in real-life tournaments. This means cards from the Black & White expansion onwards, since the cards from the HeartGold & SoulSilver series have been rotated out of official use.

Unlimited means that you can use ANY of the cards available in the game, including cards from HeartGold & SoulSilver expansions and the Black & White expansions.

Theme means that you can only use pre-packaged theme decks, including Basic Yellow/Orange, Basic Blue/Green/Red, and any official theme decks you bought in real life and redeemed online (like Night Hunter).

My Deck: This is where you choose your deck. You will not be able to choose a deck that is incompatible with the play type you have chosen (for example, you cannot choose a custom deck if you want to play a theme battle). (Basic Orange is the only basic deck you can use in Modified, because all the other basic decks have cards from the HeartGold & SoulSilver expansions.)

---

II.1.C. Tournament Mode

Explanation: Tournament mode is NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when it WILL be available.

II.2 Profile (the person icon)

Explanation: This has some interesting statistics for you to look at: how many cards you have, how many battles you have won/lost in total, etc.

II.3. Avatar (the t-shirt icon)

Explanation: Here, you can choose an in-game avatar that only you will be able to see. This is not related in any way to your forum avatar.

II.4. Collection (the card icon)

---

II.4.A. Cards

Explanation: This is where you can see all the cards you have.

---

II.4.B. Packs

Explanation: This is where you can see all the packs and unopened decks you have. When you get a pack, you need to come here to open it and get the cards inside. Same with decks: if you buy a deck online and redeem a code for it here, this is where you find it. Double-click a pack to open it; also, double-click a deck to open it and be able to use it.

---

II.4.C. Items

Explanation: Items are NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when they WILL be available.

---

II.4.D. For Trade

Explanation: This is where you see everything you have marked for trade. These are the cards/packs/decks/coins you want to trade.

How to tag things for trade: To mark something for trade, right-click a card. Look below and click on the orange button that says "Tag For Trade." Unfortunately, there is NO WAY to select all of your cards together to tag them for trade. You have to tag them ONE AT A TIME.

---

II.4.E. Wanted

Explanation: This is where you see everything you have marked as wanted. These are the cards/packs/decks/coins you want to have.

How to tag things as wanted: To mark something as wanted, right-click a card. Look below and click on the green button that says "Tag As Wanted." If there are two or more identical versions of the same card, you should mark them all as wanted.

Where to find a complete list of all the cards/items in the game to tag as wanted: Go to "Trade," then "New Public Trade," then "In Exchange For," then "Add." In there, you will be able to see ALL of the cards and items available in the game.

---

II.5.*. Review

Explanation: This is where you see everything you have marked as for review. For example, you want to use Pikachu in your deck, but you're not sure which Pikachu card to use. You can "tag for review" all the Pikachu cards in the game, and then look at them all together here, side by side, to see which one you would like to use.

How to tag things for review: To mark something for review, right-click a card. Look below and click on the blue button that says "Tag For Review."

Where to find a complete list of all the cards/items in the game to tag for review: Go to "Trade," then "New Public Trade," then "In Exchange For," then "Add." In there, you will be able to see ALL of the cards and items available in the game.

II.5. Deck Manager (the deck icon)

---

II.5.A. Deck Wizard

Explanation: This is like Deck Building 101. The game guides you though how to choose cards and helps you to build a deck.

---

II.5.B. New Deck (how to build a deck)

Explanation: This is where you build your own deck. When you click on this button, you will be asked whether you want to build a Modified (HGSS cards & BW cards) deck or an Unlimited (only BW cards; no HGSS cards) deck. Inside, you will be able to choose cards to build your deck. Only four copies of the same card are allowed in a deck, and your deck must have sixty cards (with at least one Basic Pokemon) for that deck to be playable.

Deck box, coins, sleeves, playmats: You can choose unique designs for deck boxes, flip coins and card sleeves for your deck. If you click on "Choose Deck Box," "Choose Coin," and "Choose Sleeves" to see all your available choices. (There is only one playmat choice at the moment though.) The choices you see in "Choose Deck Box," "Choose Sleeves," and "Choose Playmat" are the only ones available; but for "Choose Coins," coins are tradable in the game, so if you want other coins, either buy a theme deck (each deck has one coin inside) or trade with other players for coins.

---

II.5.C. Deck details and cloning

Explanation: When you select a deck, you can see some details about it on the right: how many times you have used the deck, the coin/sleeves/playmat you have assigned to the deck, etc.

Cloning a deck: If you want to make some changes to a deck but still keep the original, you can clone a deck. To do this, click on the deck, and then click on the "Clone" button (it's under the coin and sleeve pictures). This will make a second copy of the deck you chose, so you can experiment with new cards but still have a copy of the original deck.

II.6. Trade (the circular arrows icon)

---

II.6.A. Public Offers

Explanation: This is where you can see the public offers people have put up. When you put up a public offer, it's usually out of the way until the last half hour or so.

How to see ALL available public trades: Go to Trade, then Public Offers, then unclick "Show Only Offers I Can Accept" (you want it to be a red X, not a green check), then click Refresh. This way, you get to see people's great offers that YOU can't accept :cool:

---

II. Offers to Me

Explanation: Here, you can see the offers other people have sent you. You can either Accept, Decline, or Counter.

How do I counter a trade? Double-click a trade offer that was made to you, then click Counter. After that, you can choose cards from both player's trade binders to send them a trade offer that YOU are comfortable with.

---

II.6.C. My Trade Offers

Explanation: These are trade offers that you have made, both public offers (to everybody) AND private offers (to one person in particular). You can cancel a trade offer at anytime.

---

II.6.D. New Public Trade

Explanation: Here, you can make a new public trade that will be available to everybody for the next eight hours.

How to make a Public Trade: To do this, go to "Trade," then "New Public Trade," then "I'm Trading," then click on "Add," then unclick "Tagged for Trade only." Here, you can see all the cards, coins, and decks you have, and you can choose one by one (there is no way to select multiple copies at the same time) which ones you are willing to put in that particular offer. After that, go to "In Exchange For," then "Add." Here, you can choose all the things you want to receive. After that, unclick "Use Like For Like Trading," and then click "Create Offer."

The number of cards you can choose at a time: The biggest trade I have made where I tagged all the cards myself was 70 cards. If you want to offer/receive more than that, you run the risk of getting the heap sections error and all the things you tagged going to waste as the game kicks you out.

---

II.6.E. New Private Trade

Explanation: Here, you can make a new private trade that will be available to one specific person.

How to make a Private Trade: To do this, go to "Trade," then "New Private Trade." On the left (Friend/Public), type in the person's name and click on it. Then go to "I'm Trading," then click on "Add," then unclick "Tagged for Trade only." Here, you can see all the cards, coins, and decks you have, and you can choose one by one (there is no way to select multiple copies at the same time) which ones you are willing to put in that particular offer. After that, go to "In Exchange For," then "Add." Here, you can choose all the things you want to receive. After that, unclick "Use Like For Like Trading," and then click "Create Offer."

The number of cards you can choose at a time: The biggest trade I have made where I tagged all the cards myself was 70 cards. If you want to offer/receive more than that, you run the risk of getting the heap sections error and all the things you tagged going to waste as the game kicks you out.

---

II.6.*. Trade History

Explanation: You can see the details of the last twenty-five trades you made here.

II.7. Shop (the bag icon)

---

II.7.A. Shop Home

Explanation: This is the first screen of the shop.

---

II.7.B. Cards

Explanation: If you have booster credits, this is where you can choose which packs you want to get with them. You choose an expansion you want to get packs for (Boundaries Crossed, for example), then choose how many you want and 'purchase' them using your booster credits.

---

II.7.C. Gameplay Items

Explanation: Gameplay items are NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when they WILL be available.

---

II.7.D. Avatar Items

Explanation: Avatar items are NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when they WILL be available.

---

II.7.E. Redeem Codes

Explanation: If you have a code from a real-life booster pack or theme deck, this is where you can use it. You type in the code under "Redeem Codes Manually" and then click "Continue." If the code is valid, then on the right you should click on it and then click "Claim."

How to get booster code: You buy pack or theme deck in real life. Each of those has one code card inside for this game.

A free code: If you type in the code "boundariescrossed" then you get the Free Power Relay deck! You can do this as many times as you want to get free Eelektriks, Cilans, Professor Junipers, etc :)

---

II.7.*. Buy Gems

Explanation: Gems are NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when they WILL be available.

---

II.7.G. Account History

Explanation: The details for your account history are NOT YET AVAILABLE in this game, and there is no confirmed date for when they WILL be available.

II.8. Notifications (the envelope icon)

Explanation: When you complete a trade, you get a notification of the trade's details. You also get notification when your public trades have not been accepted after eight hours.

II.9. Friends (the people icon)

---

II.9.A. Requests

Explanation: This is where you can Accept or Decline friend requests that people have made to you.

How to make a friend request: Click on "Friends," then "Public." You will see a list of people who are in the same lobby/chatroom you are currently in. Type in their name, and when you see it, click on the plus sign next to it to create a friend request.

---

II.9.B. Public

Explanation: This is where you can see the names of all the people in the lobby/chatroom you are in.

How to send a Private Message: Go to "Friends," then "Public," then type in the person's name. Double-click their name and a box will pop up below where you can send them a Private Message.

---

II.9.C. Friends

Explanation: This is where you can see the names of all the people that you have added as a friend.

---

II.9.D. Blocking and reporting people

Blocking/Ignoring: Below your friends list is the list of people you have blocked. You block people by clicking the "No" sign next to their name (between the plus sign and the question mark).

Reporting: If somebody has been behaving inappropriately, you can report them by clicking on the exclamation point next to their name and giving details and why you are reporting them.

II.10. Settings (the cog icon)

Explanation: This is where you can configure your game's settings; such as animation settings, sound setting, etc.

II.11. Help (the question mark icon)

Explanation: This is pretty self-explanatory :cool: But this is where you can see the game's FAQs, Rules, and Tutorial. You can also Report A Problem if something is wrong.

III. Final Comments: I think this is it, but please let me know if there is anything else I should add! :) I hope this has helped some of you! :)

EDIT: As of February 22, 2013 (I think), this thread has reached Sticky status. Thank you to all of those who helped it get here! :) :)

(Aside: "Mwhahaha... Step one is complete..." :cool:)

Guide wars is coming?

Joking, I actually like how you took the time to organize your guide with Bold letters, letter sizes, the spacing between sections, all the numbering (chapters, sub chapters etc).

I think you did a pretty good *** with this, its understandable and easy to find specific stuff.

My approval!

Awesome guide Bethany!

I just want to add in Trainer Challenge I have unlocked more than just the 3 basic decks (around 4 more).

I am not sure how I did that though, probably because I beat all the trainers with the 3 basic decks.

Hey! This works! Profs, can we please make this a sticky thread? Or move it to the Help Forum where I know sticky threads are possible? :)

Guide wars is coming?

This is all about helping new players - and anyone who helps should receive high praise for taking the time to do it! There's no need for anything like that - we're all friends!

A couple questions (which of course will also help bump the thread):

In the Public Offers, it only shows a few dozen offers. In the earlier versions, there was a "show more" button which you could repeatedly click to show more offers. Is there any way to view more than a few dozen offers?

In the Public Offers, is there any way to search for specific packs? (Aside from marking only those packs, and nothing else, as "wanted"?) The search box doesn't seem to search for packs, or pack name words like "storm".

@Wriden

If you have redeemed any other decks, they also show up in the deck list for the Trainer Challenge, even if you can't use them there. Those could be the decks you saw?

@PikaB

I wasn't here for the old version, but I think the only way to see more public offers is to uncheck the "Only show offers I can accept" button. But sometimes it takes time to see offers even when you do that... I didn't think marking things as wanted had anything to do with which public offers showed up, since you can see all of the ones that you can accept anyway. Maybe there were no public offers including packs at the exact time you tried, since I typed in "storm" just now and two offers showed up :)

NOTE: As of February 22, 2013 (I think), this thread has reached Sticky status. Thank you to all of those who helped it get here! :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
NOTE: As of February 22, 2013 (I think), this thread has reached Sticky status. Thank you to all of those who helped it get here! :) :)

Step one in your plan to take over the PokéWorld? Oh dang... I spoiled the plan...

Great thread, but i have a question which i could not find the answer for in the op. (Maybe i am blind? I just jused ctrl+f and read through some parts quickly)

I cannot tag any of my cards for trade. Not a single card. How come i "dont own a tradable verision" of my cards? :/

Why can't we trade cards we get from packs which we redeem? Like plasmastorm or those booster packs we get from loggin in.

Admin FETT wrote: "And in a day or 2 you should receive 5 booster packs full of cards for you to open and use in-game. Also if you continue to log in each day you will receive booster pack rewards about every 5 days or so; This will also allow you to obtain new cards. If you pull any cards that are rare, other users may wish to trade you booster packs for them and this will gain you cards too."

[/****************=#333333]

in my thread in the help section. He clearly states that i can trade the cards i get from free booster packs. So the admin is just lying to me?

Great.

Why can't we trade cards we get from packs which we redeem? Like plasmastorm or those booster packs we get from loggin in.

Admin FETT wrote: "And in a day or 2 you should receive 5 booster packs full of cards for you to open and use in-game. Also if you continue to log in each day you will receive booster pack rewards about every 5 days or so; This will also allow you to obtain new cards. If you pull any cards that are rare, other users may wish to trade you booster packs for them and this will gain you cards too."

[/****************=#333333]

in my thread in the help section. He clearly states that i can trade the cards i get from free booster packs. So the admin is just lying to me?

Great.

That's really weird; everybody in the lobbies says that you can't trade anything given to you for free, and that's been my experience as well.

Either it's a simple mistake (maybe they were still thinking of the store-bought booster packs when they typed that) or maybe they know something we don't...? Maybe it's a surprise for us in the next game update...? If only XD :D

• 1 month later...

Good stuff. However, this guide needs to be updated to reflect the recent changes to the Trainer Challenge & the rewards (up to 45 free random booster packs) that are now available there.

[quote name='Bethany1234;756622

Part Zero: My personal comments:

So' date=' this is, by my count, the third player-made guide here in the Pokemon TCGO PvP sub-forum, after imobvmafia's "ACTUAL Frequently Asked Questions" and AlexManectric's "New Players Guide 1.0." Since I have no life and usually tend to hang around in the lobbies answering questions, I thought I would try making my own guide as well :cool:[/quote']

Yay for the namedrop :) And though quite late, this is beautifully made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great guide!!!! This doesn't only help with the newer players, but it can also help with the older players, saying that the server keeps changing.

Archived