Sign in to follow this  
Gordo778

Recieving free cards in the final game.

Gordo778

Hi guys, I posted this in the suggestions thread a few days ago but it is a large wall of text and I figured I should give it its own thread to see what others think of it.

I believe this has been said before but I would like to try to fully explain the idea, so please hear me out.

In the final version of the game, there has to be some way to get booster packs without paying for them. The packs with codes are at no major retailers and not everyone lives close to a card shop. Plus, (if not already then definately by launch) the majority of players in this game are going to be too young to have jobs, and actually buy card packs on a regular basis (and would not even be able to buy online wiithout their parents help). If they can't get packs for free, then they lose 80% of their games, get angry/annoyed/bored and leave the game. Players who actually buy packs, either because they have jobs or their parents buy packs for them, will also be angry/annoyed/bored with the amount of people they are playing who only have the yellow starter deck and leave as well.

Now, im not saying that everyone will leave, but im saying a reasonable amount of people will. So here are my suggestions:

Decks: When someone new joins, allow them a choice of starter deck. The fire, water, lightning, and grass decks are already good, maybe throw in phsychic and fighting decks too. Now, they can look inside the decks, and pick one to be their starter deck, which the get for free, the rest would have to be purchased (through maybe an in game money that traslates to real money or however you want to do it). Theme decks (current and future) could not be obtained for free, they would have to be purchased.

Boosters: Now, ways to get free boosters, there are quite a few ways this could be done, im going to fully explain my favorite. I suggest a third currency system (next to tokens and gems) call it what you like, for now ill just refer to them as CT(card tokens). You could gain CT in a number of ways, but I suggest winning a ranked match gives you 1 CT (you could also get them as rewards for being a member for X weeks, or for acheivments, on top of winning ranked matches). You can buy 1 card pack of 10 cards for 10 CT(This could be higher or lower, but i suggest 10). Now, on to the packs and codes that people buy with real money. To keep this balanced with CT, how about a code that came with, for example, a black and white pack, would translate to 5 black and white packs in-game? Think about what the people who wants new cards say to themselves. "I can win 50 ranked matches, or i can go and spend $4". See? CT is an alternative for people who cant buy codes, but it does not replace buying them, because buying them is easier and faster. Maybe new packs could even cost more CT than older packs (The newest pack costs 20 instead of 10, until a newer pack comes out, then it costs 10 just like the others). This would encourages purchasing of packs with real money even further.

Bottom line

People who can't get codes for whatever reason can still thoroughly enjoy the game and are not at a huge disadvantage.

The game still makes money off of card packs and theme decks. When you think about it, the people who would buy codes if this wasn't implemented, probably still would even if it was. Collecting all of the cards in 1 booster set would take 150+ wins. So, please impliment some or all of the above idea, or come up with you own, but please allow some way of getting boosters with out money, it will give this game a much longer life than it would have otherwise.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Love it? Hate it?

jami33

I am sure they will implement somthing along the lines you laid out although I think they will still have 1 booster code equal 1 booster and the tokens or gems redemption rate would less generous although depends on how you earn the token etc

josh7799

I am in total agreement with you; this is the type of thing I was expecting. Although I would say more like 20 wins for a booster pack, just so it is much easier to buy in stores, because you can easily do 10 in about two hours. And also what the above poster said; 1 booster bought = 1 booster on here, as 20 wins is already quite a lot for just one booster. But the new ones could maybe just be 25 instead of 20.

Also, they should make all boosters in stores the ones which can be entered online, to make it more profitable.

And I agree; it would be quite upsetting if there were no way of getting cards in a way similar to this.

However, for this to work, we need a lockout system. If somebody just leaves a game, the game should have a quick respose so that it tells you the other person has left (if they didn't press concede) and you should win by default. However, to prevent abuse of the system of one 'CT' per ranked win, you should only be able to have one ranked match with a friend (ie someone on your friends list) per hour, so that you don't spam games with that person in order to get more 'CT'. In addition to this you could also have a limit on how many ranked games you can do in a day or hour? Simply to prevent people from getting boosters really fast or whatever? Just thinking of a sensible way of doing this.

All in all though, a really good idea.

Personally I wouldn't actually mind if the game distanced itself from the real one a little bit, and instead had a monthly subscription of something small (like £3 or $5 a month) and you can get things for free much more easily on the website, but buying in store still is quicker. Just to boost profits and stuff; because to be honest although it would be great I can't see nintendo giving us free stuff for nothing. It just seems a little too unrealistic, unfortunately.

Gordo778

True, I larger number may be better. As for the making money, maybe you can only get CT after redeeming a code?

Berquet50

I couldn't agree with you anymore. As for monthly sub, I'd give it, but it would limit if not much but a few kids. But CT is an amazing idea. I thought about "runs" where you can select before you start dueling. Let's say a HGSS booster is 15 CT. but if you beat 10 people in a row, you get that. but you must select that "run" from a menu that is not there yet. And if you fail to beat specified amount of people, you get half the CT you would have earned if you had beaten that many people. How did that sound?

Gordo778

Interesting idea, but what if a player would receive an odd number?

Berquet50

well, then it's up to Nintendo to give the extra CT :)

heracross77

I like this idea. It would also be cool if you can get boosters for certain achievements.

tolken

If they impliment a way to earn free packs they will most likely limit it by either time, activity or expansion set.

Examples:

Limiting the amount of free packs that can be earned per day/week/month/whatever.

Limiting the amount of time free players can play per day without paying.

Limiting which expansions have earnable boosters (*IE: Older expansions are freely earnable, newer releases are not and must be traded for or payed for)

Limiting the activites of free players (*Limiting free players into practice only brackets, etc)

--I fully expect them to have free aspects to reel players in, and then give them plenty of reasons to spend money ^_^

stormthrash

hope there is a win based currency system... ill have so much currency

antley

I don't like the idea of winning games to get tokens for more booster packs. People are already complaining about the resh, zekrom decks out there, why would anyone want to use any other kind of deck? It would also mean the strong just keep getting stronger while the weaker decks just keep losing.

josh7799

I don't like the idea of winning games to get tokens for more booster packs. People are already complaining about the resh, zekrom decks out there, why would anyone want to use any other kind of deck? It would also mean the strong just keep getting stronger while the weaker decks just keep losing.

That brings up a very good point. Hence why, agree with me or not, I think banning these cards online would be a good idea. Whether we are using a CT system or not. Because really it is just going to unbalance the game and everyone would just use zekrom/reshiram decks, basically homogenising the game so that everyone uses the same deck, or a deck based around these cards. However this will probably happen whether we adopt a system where you can earn points online or not. It still wipes out the competition, and it stops people from making a decent deck instead of one where you can win all of the time.

cannib

What if the amount of points you recieved was based on the pokemon you used to win your games? They could reward you with more points for using more rarely seen pokemon and less points for using more commonly used ones. They would have to use some sort of tracker, but it would not have to be that sophisticated, just track a % of games that each pokemon or pokemon line was used. It might encourage people to try new decks now and then and add some diversity in battles.

burtyy

• I don't understand why everyone thinks that because this game is online, they are entitled to free stuff. Here's just the facts:
  • Just because virtual cards don't cost any money, bandwidth and servers still do.
  • The online game is MUCH cheaper than in real life. Real-life packs cost $4. Buying packs online costs $1 or less. I made a deck with 4 Mew Primes, 2 Absol Primes, 4 Pokemon Collectors, 4 Pokemon Comunications, DCE, and many other staples, with just ~$30 worth of online packs. In real life, this deck would have costed me MANY times what I paid.
  • You say that if we don't give people enough packs, then the "rich" people will dominate the game. If we give people enough free packs to be very good, then people will simply stop buying packs.
  • The bottom line is, the game is cheap enough. It costs far less than the real life game, and I am totally satisfied with there it is right now. You don't need to be rich AT ALL to play it (I certainly am not). It's cheap as is, and that's how it should stay. Asking them for handouts is like asking McDonalds to lower their prices on their Dollar Menu. Just be thankful that it's so incredibly cheap.

tolken

I don't understand why everyone thinks that because this game is online, they are entitled to free stuff.

Because free sells better than pay. Seriously, free games that reel in people then convince them to pay for more of something almost always do much much better than games that ask for money upfront. See Facebook, every mmo (even WoW) and more.

Just because virtual cards don't cost any money, bandwidth and servers still do.

No one here has really been advocating a 100% free game, we all realistically understand that this exists to earn a profit somewhere. You're tied into the black/white it's either free or it isn't mindset.

The online game is MUCH cheaper than in real life.

You don't know that yet, no one actually does because they haven't yet announced what the actual system will be. As an example, Magic the Gathering actually costs more to play online because Wizards forced in charging MSRP, with most comic shops selling under.

You say that if we don't give people enough packs, then the "rich" people will dominate the game. If we give people enough free packs to be very good, then people will simply stop buying packs.

My counter again is there are plenty of ways to realistically charge and give some away. Examples: Charge based on time, Charge for certain newer expansions and only allow freebie packs on the oldest expansions. Charge to play in the ranked brackets (practice being free)

The bottom line is, the game is cheap enough.

Again, you don't know that yet, you are assuming that they will just keep the exact same system as they have in beta...which is highly doubtful.

Gordo778

Excactly. Burtyy, you completely ignored my statement about the fact that the majority of players will be children and have little to no money to spend on packs. I am suggesting this because I don't want this game to fail. Have you noticed that MMOs with subscriptions are failing but free ones with buyable items are doing much better?

Prince_Ludwig

Excactly. Burtyy, you completely ignored my statement about the fact that the majority of players will be children and have little to no money to spend on packs. I am suggesting this because I don't want this game to fail. Have you noticed that MMOs with subscriptions are failing but free ones with buyable items are doing much better?

And yet those same children somehow get the money to buy Nintendo game systems and Pokémon software...

Gordo778

The difference is its a one time purchase. These can be gotten for birthdays and holidays, monthly or weekly spending of money often requires an income.

Bhadeti

I personally do not think it is a good idea. When it comes to a business like this, a TCG. There is not an actual way to implement the giving out of free cards like being proposed. In any case, they could offer the starter deck of Grass or Fire like they are allowing currently in the Training Mode. Which therefore would not be tradeable cards. In this case anyone can play the game making this a Free to Play game. Anyone who wishes to purchase more cards to better their decks would then purchase either a card pack or a card deck therefore giving them the availabality to more options, more trades, and better chances of winning their matches. Some other games also do a daily point system for playing one hour or more per day giving them a daily point, which then in turn could be used to purchase cards within an auction house or something of the sort.

tyllelly

Such a good idea! I've been looked for a game like this for long on top1apk. If it becomes true, that will be great. However, it can cause some restrictions for players who don't have money. I mean the players might be children. 

SKBellmore
Posted (edited)

If you paid attention this thread is from 2011. This was super necro’d

Edited by SKBellmore
  • Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this