Can people stop using souped-up EXs in the novice section?!

AkikoFTW

Look, I've got no problem with EXs. But I just fought a match, in the novice section of the PVP, where someone busted out a Mewtwo EX and a Mew EX within the first few turns, and had another Mew EX in their hand. This isn't fair to other players in the novice section who want to be able to just fight a relaxed match. They demolish me all the time. I've got no problem going to the expert section if I want to be schooled on super pokemon battles. In fact, I've fought in the expert section before and did fairly well sometimes. But these EXs in the novice section are too much.

I think we should either have a block on EXs in the novice section...or EXs should be limited to only a couple per deck. They've done that with souped-up cards before, so why not?

Opinions?

I agree with Akiko. If the company won't fix this lets atleast try to make a gentlemens agreement to not use EXs in novice. Even the worst EXs can give you a run for your money...

With EXs banned there would just be three other decks then become the most dominate.

My understanding was that Novice was created to allow for experimenting. Novice did not count against your rating, allow for experimenting with decks.

Have anyone though about creating a NON-EX league. You can the friend others that want to play without EXs? Then do friend battles with like minded players?

Well, I'm not against EXs totally. I just think its horribly unfair to go into the novice section with a deck built for EXs knowing you're going to demolish the average player there. I can do friend battles of course, and I'm sure most of them would be agreeable if I requested no EXs, but that's not really the point. I mean, remember when they had those pokemon with the stars by their names? You were only allowed 1 per deck. and the EXs are as strong as those, for the most part. So it seems silly not to have some sort of regulations. Especially when dealing with novice players. Often, in the novice section, if my opponent starts dropping EXs, I'll forfeit the match to save myself the aggravation. :(

My 8 year old son plays novice games using EX pokemon. He makes all of his own decks and refuses to play anything found on the net. If he loses a couple of games he changes his deck. If he wins a couple of games he uses his deck on expert. I think banning EX pokemon from novice is an overreaction. I do understand how it can be frustrating to play against EXs when your fun decks can't compete with them. On the other hand, there are a lot of people looking to play casual games online. Find them then send friend requests. People also can request no EX games through the chat option.

I think perhaps just an option checkbox to tick for "No EX Pokemon" would solve the issue. That way people would still be able to play with EXs in Novice if they wanted the challenge of that but not Expert, as well as allow those who don't like getting curbstomped by EXs to enjoy a more casual game.

While many people would agree with this option, they have many more issues that need more imediate attention. Horrible lag going from screen to screen, memory leaks, heap section errors and so on... The list of bad game bugs is at least several long and this would be on the back ****** behind all of them. Def a problem that needs to be addressed in some fashion but it will likely take some time. For now the best option may be what was suggested above and thats converse with people in the public chat and find someone willing to do a non-EX battle.

I think with all the EX's out there, and the ones that are sure to be released in the future...it's going to be something you HAVE to have in your deck just to compete with other players.. If you can't beat em, join em.. Hah! I got lucky enough to open one in a pack I got, and it really helped improve my chances of surviving an all-out assult with multiple EX cards in one deck.. And the two prize card rule really helps as well..it definely turns the game around if yoiu can manage to build a deck to keep up with the fast-paced decks others create.

I think perhaps just an option checkbox to tick for "No EX Pokemon" would solve the issue. That way people would still be able to play with EXs in Novice if they wanted the challenge of that but not Expert, as well as allow those who don't like getting curbstomped by EXs to enjoy a more casual game.

This would be nice to see implemented so people don't get annoyed by these cards, as I too use a No EX" rule when playing friends sometimes. But at the moment the only other real way to have a fun, eventful game where the game twists and turns in random directions is to play theme deck v theme deck. Those are equally balanced and don't have those nasty endgame setups, plus your likely to get a new obstacle to fight against in every match.

Props to your brother brady, that's the spirit!

I went the other way Toubabo_Koomi... if you can't beat ***, study them & then crush them like a bug!

It is possible to make a pretty good deck without EX cards, even though I will admit that the best decks all contain at least a few EXs. If you are trying to build your collection I would suggest going after supporters before worring about EXs. Cards like Proffesor Juniper, N, Bianca, and Cheren are cheap and easy to get. More importantly however, they will help your deck more than any EX. I think the tins are a great way to add quality EX cards to your real and virtual collections. For the price of 4 packs you get a card like Darkrai or Mewtwo for more or less free.

Hey! If you guys want Serious Non-EX Battles, why not try out the Trading Card League? You can battle all the Gym Leaders in Non-EX Battles, and there are prizes to be won as well!

You can make many good decks without EXs. Anything running a Stage 2 like Empoleon DEX or Garchomp DRX probably won't be running EXs. There are good EXs to pair with them, but they aren't necessary.

My 8 year old son plays novice games using EX pokemon. He makes all of his own decks and refuses to play anything found on the net. If he loses a couple of games he changes his deck. If he wins a couple of games he uses his deck on expert. I think banning EX pokemon from novice is an overreaction. I do understand how it can be frustrating to play against EXs when your fun decks can't compete with them. On the other hand, there are a lot of people looking to play casual games online. Find them then send friend requests. People also can request no EX games through the chat option.

It seems like your son will have a great attitude with sportsmanship. Way to go dad! We need more of this in the gaming community.

This would be nice to see implemented so people don't get annoyed by these cards, as I too use a No EX" rule when playing friends sometimes. But at the moment the only other real way to have a fun, eventful game where the game twists and turns in random directions is to play theme deck v theme deck. Those are equally balanced and don't have those nasty endgame setups, plus your likely to get a new obstacle to fight against in every match.

I agree. I am almost exclusively doing them deck. I find it a more satisfying game and all decks have a good chance to win. Although the Orange deck seems to be overpowered against any theme decks.

I clicked on novice last week and before my turn the opponent laid down 4 ex's and had my active pokemon poisoned...etc. This is a novice section post but EX's are out of control. I would love to see a no EX expert section.

I agree with this. I'm already fed up using the bad theme decks we have to start out with. Seeing someone just lay down 3 EX's is just brutal. There should be a playable format that bans EX's, cause one thing's for sure, they don't attract new players at all.

It doesnt make sense to ban exs in novice especially since some aren't that great, especially without support. There are the few exceptions to this of course such as mewtwo, darkrai, landorus, etc. but for the most part many are pretty lacluster without the other cards that back them up. Take a mew ex its pretty bad alone along with celebi zekrom reshiram.. etc. As TBurrows had mentioned before but you guys have seem to ignore completely is that some people want to see how a deck runs without hurting their. Doesn't mean they are playing to just get some easy victories. They could just be playing to see how fast they can get their board setup so when they play an expert game they will bee more prepared

While many people would agree with this option, they have many more issues that need more imediate attention. Horrible lag going from screen to screen, memory leaks, heap section errors and so on... The list of bad game bugs is at least several long and this would be on the back ****** behind all of them. Def a problem that needs to be addressed in some fashion but it will likely take some time. For now the best option may be what was suggested above and thats converse with people in the public chat and find someone willing to do a non-EX battle.

I do believe that this is a problem- but at most a minor one. Honestly there are just as many non EX Pokemon that can destroy a deck. I play decks with EX's and i have a few with none. When I'm battling someone and they put out an EX against my non-ex decks I consider it a challenge for me to try and defeat them.

I also believe that if a "No EX" button is added people will find ways of building decks with non-EX Pokemon that will infuriate new players as much as the EX's do right now. EX's aren't the problem here; it's poor communication between players.

If you don't like EX's then find people of a like mind and Friend battle them. Don't go complaining because other people have a different mindset.

I do believe that this is a problem- but at most a minor one. Honestly there are just as many non EX Pokemon that can destroy a deck. I play decks with EX's and i have a few with none. When I'm battling someone and they put out an EX against my non-ex decks I consider it a challenge for me to try and defeat them.

I also believe that if a "No EX" button is added people will find ways of building decks with non-EX Pokemon that will infuriate new players as much as the EX's do right now. EX's aren't the problem here; it's poor communication between players.

If you don't like EX's then find people of a like mind and Friend battle them. Don't go complaining because other people have a different mindset.

What a silly reply. "Poor communication"? There's no such thing as communication when you're forced to play with random people. And I'm pretty sure most of the people that resorted to this online game didn't have anyone to play with irl. I wouldn't be playing on here if my friends were interested in this game.

Anyway, there should be a separate format that bans EX's. We already had to use those pathetic theme decks in Trainer Challenge for a whopping 37 matches. Give us a break.

Seriously - if you want to play Battles without EXs, challenge the Trading Card League (on any of the 3 Non-EX Levels) by checking the Forum Thread in PvP Discussion, or why not sign up for some of the more formal Non-EX Tournaments being hosted on the Forums? :)

There are plenty of options if you don't want to play EX Games, and plenty if you don't! There's no need for these kinds of quarrels. Why not turn this into a 'Hey, I want to play Non-EX Games, add me as a friend in game and send me a challenge' thread? At least then you can play with like-minded people?

That is our key option now~ building the community of non EX battlers! I guess if they added a Training Section on top of Expert/Novice it would not work to well. Training decks against training decks!?

At this moment I can only hope that the EX decks in novice are for those testing and not just fishing for easy victories ( If i was a easy victory fisher, i would look into myself, and see a weak person )

Either way As I see the only method now is to join non EX tournaments, and post some non EX battles. I will do that!

Tho I really do hope our battle search options grow in the future. I find myself not enjoying Pokemon as much when its the same mewtwos over n over.

• 1 month later...
What a silly reply. "Poor communication"? There's no such thing as communication when you're forced to play with random people.

put simply, you're not forced to play with randoms. ask around in lobbies or check the tournaments here. There are -tons- of people who are on the "zomg ex cards are so op, nerf them and never use them!" bandwagon that i'm sure you'll find a huge playerbase happy to battle you non ex style.

look how many people complain about them, every few days there's a new "stop ex" topic in hope that complaining enough will get the rules of a well established game changed. These people obviously don't use ex cards themselves (or they are hypocrites) so you can easily battle them if you ask

Archived