Stalling Early Game :P (I need help!)

Holygryphon

Hey guys, Holygryphon here! (Writing this for the second time since my page crashed >.>) But anyways, so while im waiting for the Maintenece to finish up i figured i would hope on the forums and ask for some advice :) Ive always played the pokmon games, and collected cards but im brand new to the TCG! So if anyone could help it would be great! So early game i like to throw out a basic and pretty much sack him, i dont even attach energy to him. And while im doing that i set up another basic on my beach. Is this wise to do? or am i just making a big mistake? Thanks for your replies! :D

Nowadays, with cards like Crushing/Enchanted Hammer, Catcher and (fine, it's HGSS) Seeker, don't EVER feel that your bench is a safe place to hide your Pokemon whilst you tank up! Don't forget, every turn you stall for, your opponent has a turn too - and if he or she is smart, they will neutralise you whilst setting up themselves. Your strategy isn't a bad one, but you're MUCH better off going for an openning Pokemon which will accelerate your set up or stall your opponent heavily (Emolga with Call for Family, Victini EX coming soon in Plasma Gale and Sableye with Junk Hunt are all good options). Being able to attack should be seen as an asset, and not something worth skipping if you can possibly avoid it!

Thanks alot for the advice, currently the only thing i have is an elygem. i put him in to get the 2 basics on my bench. should i get another of him? :) or should i find a different opening basic?

Thanks alot for the advice, currently the only thing i have is an elygem. i put him in to get the 2 basics on my bench. should i get another of him? :) or should i find a different opening basic?

Emolga DRE is a better opening basic, as his basic searching attack gets the same two pokemon, but is colourless and has free retreat. Very useful in most stage 2 builds (asides from Blastoise and some rogues). Sigilyph DRE also helps prevent your opponent making early game pushes with big EX pokemon such as Tornadus EX and Mewtwo EX.

I used to do that too - I'd put my second choice as my active while putting my first choice on the bench and putting Energies on them. But after playing some more I saw several problems with that - they use the time wisely as well, instead of attacking my active right away; or worse, use status effect or bench-damaging attacks; or the worst, using Catcher to get my first choice out JUST when I finally have enought Energies on it.

I'd suggest that if you have a choice, start with a Pokemon that has a neutralizing attack/ability, or start with whoever you want to attack with right away. Don't put a Pokemon on your bench during your first turn EXCEPT maybe if your active has low HP or something - there's always time to fill the bench after you've see what kind of Pokemon your opponent has.

Hey mate thanks for responding! :) now i like emolga alot better then elgyem now that ive looked at them side by side. Now how many of those do i wanna run in my deck, why not wasting to many cards but still keeping consistant. 2?

you can try to stall using an active pokemon to take damage, if u have pokemon that can sleep stall so there active cant retreat/attack it can give u more saftey for setting up benches. but then its luck on coin flips, and from BW.on, i cant think of a pokemon that can withstand damage and sleep stall at the same time,

the upcoming togekiss can be a good staller(resists fighting), although some may prefer gothitelle magic room,

overall togekiss does the *** better

its one retreat is better than goths, and its attack of drawing upto 6/7 cards in your hand can be used if u like,

it is coloreless and can use any energy also it is not weak to the popular play of psyhcic types.

but the downside is they are both stage 2. however i do imagine togekiss making some difference nevertheless.

shud be considered if there is some space in the deck:)

Interesting stalling methods I've tried:

Munna ability - You dont have to use it as your active pokemon but it's best if you build a deck around some kind of strategy so you dont take a hit yourself for being asleep (Musharna that can atk while asleep/Flygon and Chandelure still damages an opponent while asleep & so on).

Excadrill Dig Uppercut - Offensive staller you could say. Catcher or Gold Potion every turn? yes please!

Chansey & Blissey - Chansey has 100HP+a guaranteed sleep, and if it ever gets onto the bench you can just evolve it into a Blissey for additional protection later on.

Mincino & Cincino ability - Micnino isn't really a staller but Call for Family is a good opening, Cincino ability however can be extremely annoying to fight.

Sigilyph Reflect - Combine it with Eviolite;) not particularly effective against the stronger decks.

Baby pokemon - Choose the one that helps your strategy the mest & start sing your lullabies...

Archived