Please Help A Fellow Trainer!

A_Pain313

hi i am just getting interested in the card game i am 17 my self and have always watched the shows and played the games. but i am willing to spend around 50 U.S $ to start a deck and go to my lolcal leauge but...what do i do how do i get energies do i buy boosters do i buy themed decks? do i buy coins a mat deck holder sleeves? how do i know what cards are leagle please help a fellow trainer thanks :)

Buy a couple of theme packs, getting set of theme packs and then buying the rel;evant boosters is the best way to start. That way you get the coin, energy, mat, etc.

Hello A_Pain313,

I would suggest you to check out http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-trading-card-game/pokemon-trading-card-expansions/]pokemon.com to check all the TCG expansions by series to discover all their packs and cards.

Also to start I would recommend that you unlock the basic decks "Red, Blue and Green" on "Pokemon Trainer Challenge". You can unlock each basic deck by wining 8 games against different trainers using the same deck. You can also trade cards with other players to ameliorate your Decks.

I strongly recommend that you keep an eye on the forums and website for all updates and great ideas about Deck construction and many other information and fun sides of the game.

good luck!

Hello A_Pain313,

I would suggest you to visit pokemon.com to check all the TCG expansions by series to discover all their packs and cards.

Also for a start, I would recommend that you unlock the basic decks "Red, Blue and Green" on "Pokemon Trainer Challenge". You can unlock each basic deck by wining 8 games against different trainers using the same deck. You can also trade cards with other players to ameliorate your Decks.

I strongly recommend that you keep an eye on the forums and website for all updates and great ideas about Deck construction and many other information and fun sides of the game.

good luck!

With $50, you'll have to avoid a lot of the more expensive cards (Pokemon Catcher can be over $15 by itself!), as well as most of the currently meta decks.

Any card from the Black and White set onwards are currently legal in Modified (the current) Format. Dice are more commonly used to mark damage as well as for coin flips (Heads is Even, Tails is Odd), so investing in a tub of dice is worth it. Sleeves are also important since cards get very easily damaged, and marks on the ack of your card from unsleeved use can be interpreted as cheating. Make sure you buy Regular size sleeves though, as Small sleeves only work for Yu-Gi-Oh!.

While you're not going to be getting many EXs with a $50 budget, I would personally recommend an Empoleon/Aerodactyl deck. While not amazingly competitive, it's really fun to use and also cheap to assemble. Using Trollandtoad.com for prices, I came up with this list:

Monsters (16) ($16.58)

2 Emolga (Dragons Exalted) ($0.98 for both)

4 Piplup, 2 Prinplup, 4 Empoleon (Dark Explorers) ($14.60 for the lot)

4 Aerodactyl (Dark Explorers) ($1 for all four)

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (35) ($31.53)

3 Twist Mountain (Dark Explorers) ($0.75 for all 3)

4 N (Dark Explorers) ($7.16 for all 4)

4 Cheren (Dark Explorers ($1 for all 4)

3 Random Receiver ($1.47 for all 3)

2 Juniper ($2.98 for 2)

4 Rare Candy (Dark Explorers) ($11.16 for all 4)

4 Old Amber Aerodactyl (Dark Explorers) ($1 for all 4)

4 Pokemon Communication (Black and White) ($1 for all 4)

2 Level Ball (Next Destinies) ($2.38 for both)

3 Switch (Loads of sets) (Heartgold Soulsilver ones are $0.75 for all 3 on T&T)

2 Super Rod (Noble Victories) ($1.88 for both)

Energy (9) ($1.62 for base set ones, most players will give you energy though)

9 Water Energy

The whole list totals up at $49.73, just about within your $50 budget. With a higher budget, I'd have added Max Potions and Skylas, but this list should be good enough to get you started.

wow thanks so much i have found a pre assembled gothita garchomp deck and am purchasing a mewtwo ex tin the premade deck comes with sleeves a mat coin and deck

Choose the Theme deck based on two guiding rules:

1) get as many useful trainers as possible. This means getting a theme deck from BWbase onward. There is at least one theme deck which has 2x N, AIR.

2) select theme deck which has the energy which you will need for your deck. Theme decks tend to put entirely too many energies in their decks. So if you select a deck like Blue Assault (BW), you would get 12 Water Energies, 2 Energy Search, 2 Potion, 2 Energy Retrieval, 2 PokeBall, and 2 Juniper. All of those are useful trainers. There are probably even better theme decks. But this is an example of how you should go about choosing one.

It is far more efficient to buy (or trade for) single cards, than to buy packs and cross your fingers to get a specific card for deck-building.

Good luck.

Archived