Catcher Value Post-Basic Orange

Intimidator

Hi guys. My name's Intimidator, and I've been on here for almost 2 years now. This thread is about the value of Pokemon Catcher now that the Basic Orange Deck has come out. Yes the value of catcher has dropped, but by NO means is it worthless. Here's why. As most people know, the Basic Orange Deck comes with 2 Pokemon Catchers. However, since there is no way to get more than one Basic Orange Deck, and since most competitive decks run 4 catchers, that leaves 2 more catchers for a person to get. Since the catchers that come in Basic Orange are not tradeable, the only way to get more catchers is to trade with someone who has pulled catchers from Emerging Powers booster packs. This is why catcher is still valuable. Before Basic Orange came out, the value of catcher was 5 or more packs per catcher. Now, I can see the value of catcher being around 4 packs per catcher. Let me know what you guys think! Don't be shy to voice your opinion!

-Intimidator

I believe 4 packs per catcher was what I went by before Basic Orange came out. Anything else was too Over-Priced. I could see it now being 2-3 packs due to you need 4 in almost every deck.

Yeah, catcher should def stay in the 3-4 pack range. Its still a MUST PLAY in every competent deck. Even if someone has 2 catchers they would have to use Skyla to chance getting 1 of the 2 assuming one or more arent prized. Value is based on playability/pull-rate/demand- and none of those have changed. Wailord I will gladly buy 5 catchers off of you for 10 packs tho ;)

I would say Catchers are two packs apiece now. While they are useful, players can also choose to leave space for some other useful cards (Crushing Hammers, Eviolite, Skyla...), so the two free ones would be enough for most people I think. The extra two would be just in case and not a priority.

...Maybe that's just what I think, since I've only ever used one in a deck so far :P

Prob 2.5 would be a good spot for them, still a need for them and the holo one and the gold catcher will likely see no change in value as there is always someone wanting to bling out a deck with all holos. I haven't had anyone make an offer for one since that deck came so it does seem demand is down for them at least for now.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Keep it coming! This helps the community all together. I'm thinking of maybe putting more threads up like this one for more playable/popular cards so we can get a community feedback on card value. Let me know what you guys think! As for catcher, I think once PS comes out and the demand for cards in general rises again, I'll start selling my catchers at 3.5 a piece.

People are still paying 3 packs per catcher at the moment but i can see the price rising again in the future though because there really is no proper competetive deck running any less than 3 catchers with the huge majority of top decks running 4 catchers. Also condsider that catcher is one of very few cards of actual demand in the EPO set and now the new sets released wont be able to be redeemed for older set boosters here. 2 is not enough to construct a decent deck so there is still demand for Catcher.

League play is going to get players 4 more Catchers for the current season, so the value for non-league catchers might drop even more for the short term.

Now that everyone only needs 2 catchers instead of 4, they're become a lot easier to get. I can't see them going above 3 packs. Golden Catchers, on the other hand, are going to be worth the same, if not more than they were. They may become dearer because of both the now code redemption business and that people are going to have more chance to experience how good catcher really is.

I don't see catchers ever going above 3 packs again - not everyone is going to want/need 4 of ***. That said, RF catchers still seem to be maintaining a high value, and I wouldn't be surprised to see gold catchers go up a little more.

I'm also curious to see how catcher values, along with other cards will play out, once the token system is set up for single card purchases.

I am looking forward to the token system. Finally I can use my 2000 tokens for something other than the stuff for my avatar on the play pokemon site. I just hope they do not go crazy and ask for 1000 tokens for 1 good card.

Archived