Anti EX Cards

SanityJames

Hey all, I've recently gotten bored of PvP on this game due to the fact i'm often loosing to the same few EX heavy strategies. So I started looking for cards that are Anti-EX cards.

I remember that years ago I had a ninetales from the original ex expansions which was unaffected by ex pokemon, and found that my Bouffalant has a nice Anti-EX attack. Of the cards that are currently on Pokemon TCG Online I am aware of only a few listed below, and was curious if there was any other cards out there that I have missed.

Sigilith

Bouffalant

Scizor

The reason I ask this is because even though I have some EX cards myself, I don't always like to use them, and would like to build a deck with a counter to EX cards without necessarily containing EX cards themselves. Thanks in advance for any help, but please no negative comments about how EX cards are "the thing" and only silly people don't use them or something, I simply want to know my options :)

Since the EX cards are all Basic Pokémon, if you're playing in Unlimited you could use the Machamp card that KO's any Basic Pokémon in one hit.

Even though it isn't exclusive to ex, retaliation terrakion (noble victories and super rare in boundaries) is a nice card. They rock your non ex, lose one prize. You in turn rock their weakened ex, gain 2 prizes.

Other rogue EX Counters:

Garbodor (Have you ever seen anyone use an EX without some kind of ability energy accelerator/mover?)

Scizor Prime (Special Energies are used throughout the game now - with the possible exception of Keldeo)

Vileplume (x4 Weakness means you need to do only 50 damage for a OHKO)

Carnivine (Let them set up an EX/Ability Stage 2, then wipe it back into their hand!)

Coming soon: Klinklang Ability (Frankly the most popular EX counter there will be)

Also Victini Ex, HP: 110

® - u attach 2 Basic energys which u get from your deck an atttch to your benhed pokes any wy u like.

®©© -same attack effect of boufaluants 60+ (60 if pokemon is an EX)

it quite clearly is petit to most ex. but potentially in the first turn, if u have a skyla or even its

Ace Spec(Victory piece: if attached to victini Ex,it needs no energy to attack) in your hand you could be knocking out pokemon ex or even basic pokemon like squirtle. all you need is the right ingredient.

and sableye will get back your tool card back in your hand hundred percent, unless the opponent plays a N or the new supporter Ghetsis, or discxard random cards from your hand etc

Also Victini Ex, HP: 110

I think Victini EX will be the one of the most popular Energy Accelerator now - it's 100% reliable AND a BASIC!! and can provide ANY energy type. 2 Prizes (assuming it does get KOed) will be a worthwhile loss in exchange for a RAPID set up. Don't run this without Victory Piece however! You'd look a bit silly if your opponent runs it and is able to KO your Victini T1 with no energy!

• 2 weeks later...
I think Victini EX will be the one of the most popular Energy Accelerator now - it's 100% reliable AND a BASIC!! and can provide ANY energy type. 2 Prizes (assuming it does get KOed) will be a worthwhile loss in exchange for a RAPID set up. Don't run this without Victory Piece however! You'd look a bit silly if your opponent runs it and is able to KO your Victini T1 with no energy!

I personally doubt Victini EX will be that popular for 2 main reasons:

1. Energy acceleration that uses up an attack is too wasteful.

2. Weakness to water and only 110HP make it a super easy 2 prizes.

Also the new Raticate works nicely against EX's also with it's attack reducing the defending pokemons HP to 10. So the bigger they are the harder they fall. Team raticate up with bench hitters and those EX's wont be able to hide without Max Potion or a lucky flip of the coin with SSU.

• 2 weeks later...

Articuno EX/Garbodor/Plasma Frigate would be fun. Garbodor DRX covers for Articuno EX pretty well, because it takes away Keldeo EX's Rush In and Plasmaklang's ability. Plasma Frigate is there so that Articuno won't be OHKOed by Cobalion. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Hkespeon, Alex was referring to the Dragons Exalted Garbodor, whose ability is as follows;

"If this Pokémon has a Pokémon Tool card attached to it, each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities (except for Garbotoxin)."

Also, i've been using recently the steel type Bisharp, since with 3 metal energy for his 2nd attack, he deals 100 damage, with 20 more for each steel energy after that. Also a dark deck that utilises Dark Claws and the special Darkness Energy is a good way to boost damage. Especially when using Krookodile who deals increasing damage for each prize you have taken.

Currently my favourite anti-EX cards are two I've got in my psychic deck - the BeeHeeYem from Plasma Storm for his 60 point damage reshuffling attack, and the Gallade from the same set. Ok, so they're both evolutions, but the BeeHeeYem being able to soak 60 damage a turn and dump it onto the attacking pokemon without worrying about resistance or someone plonking an Evolite on the EX helps, and the Gallade's Powerful Storm attack gets insane - I obliterated a Mew EX (or was it a MewTwo EX?) last night with 520 points of damage after the weakness was taken into effect...

If you can get it set up, Raticate is amazing against EX's. Against non-EX's it only hits for like 80-120 damage, but against an EX you can rack up 170 for just 3 energy, or an OHKO if you have a laser.

Lucario Dual Armor is great late game with its Hurricane Kick gets stronger each time a prize is taken by an opponent and if it has a steel energy it benefits from Klingklangs Plasma Steel ability making it invulnerable to EX's damage. So... yeah... all those EX's only decks going to have a bad time.

If you can get it set up, Raticate is amazing against EX's. Against non-EX's it only hits for like 80-120 damage, but against an EX you can rack up 170 for just 3 energy, or an OHKO if you have a laser.

There's a great story of that working on a thread called 'Online Discussion Zone' in the PvP Section of the forums on Page 4 :)

Archived