The Trading Card League!

AlexManectric

The Trading Card League!

Take on the Gym Leaders as you prepare to face the Elite Four

I'M BACK BABY!

This first page is FULL of information so here's a content list! If you're new to the Trading Card League please read on to discover why we're the most popular tournament here on the Forums!

Homepage Content:

Message #1: Gym Leader Challenge | Elite Four Challenge | Rules | FAQs | Player Comments

Message #2: I don't know why that's there.. But it's true!

Message #3: Headline News | Hall of Fame

Message #4: Active Challenger List | Cooldown List | Ban List

Message #5: Stories from Alex

Message #6: The Gym Leader Board | Gym Leader Rankings

Message #7: Top Tips: How To find Gym Leaders

Message #8: Player Rankings (Coming Soon!)

The Gym Leader Challenge

Prove your strength in battle against the Gym Leaders. Each of the 10 Gym Leaders represent their own elemental type: their decks will only contain Pokemon of that type, but don’t think that means victory will be easy!

Challengers may use any deck they wish, with as many different types as they want. However, once you begin your first battle, you will be unable to change your deck until you either succeed against all 10, or fall in defeat.

You will begin your challenge with three lives, within which you must defeat all the leaders. Defeating all 10 leaders will merit your place in the Gym Challenge Hall of Fame and win a selection of prizes! However, if you lose all three lives, you must restart your challenge from the very beginning.

Every time you are defeated in a battle, you will lose one life and must wait a cooldown period before battling again, however you will not lose any badges you have already earned as long as you have lives remaining. You will not lose any lives if you haven't won any badges yet. If you are unsure what a cooldown is, view the Frequently Asked Questions section below. The date your cooldown ends can be viewed in Message #4

If you believe you are ready to take on the Gym Leaders, all you need to do is select a level and challenge your first Gym Leader, after which registration will be handled automatically.

To make sure there's something for everyone, there are a huge variety of levels to play at:

Modified Levels

These Levels use cards from expansions listed under the current Modified Format.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 680]

[TD=width: 150] Level Code[/TD]

Level Details

Mod: Advanced

All Cards within the Modified sets are permitted

Mod: Intermediate

All Cards within the Modified sets, except Pokemon-EX are permitted

Mod: Limited

Only Pokemon from the Modified sets with 90HP or less may be used *

[/TABLE]

* Hypnotoxic Laser, Virbank City Gym and ACE-Specs are not permitted at this level.

Please note that Modified Challengers will be reset when a new expansion is released.

[/TABLE]

Black & White Levels

These Levels use cards from the 10 Black & White expansions.

Level Details

BW: Advanced

All Cards within the BW sets are permitted

BW: Intermediate

All Cards within the BW sets, except Pokemon-EX are permitted

[/TABLE]

Alternate Levels

These Levels use cards from all expansions not listed under the current Modified Format.

Level Details

Alt: Advanced

All Cards within the Alternate Sets are permitted *

Alt: Limited

Only Pokemon from the Alternate sets with 90HP or less may be used * *

[/TABLE]

* The Dragon Gym is not available to challenge at this level.

* Excluding Pokemon-Prime

[/TABLE]

You may only challenge one level at a time, but you can restart your challenge at any time. If you have any difficulty understanding the Levels, including exactly which sets are allowed in which Level, or you want to know how to request a reset, view the FAQ below where there is more information.

The Gym Leaders

[TABLE=width: 520, align: right]

[TD=width:120]

Fire

[/TD]

[TD=width:200]

FreeSpirit87

[/TD]

[/TD]

Grass

AlexManectric

Water

kfisherman

Lightning

jynxedorange

Fighting

ESCGoat

Psychic

Grizzlych

Steel

SuperNova51D

Colourless

ImMrFlubaDub

Dark

Yakinta

Dragon

Rolfeddyboy

[TD]

[/TABLE]

The Gym Leaders are ready for you, so go and get challenging!

The Elite Four Challenge

Prepare yourselves well.

Defeat all four members of this formidable team and you will enter the Elite Four Hall of Fame: The Ultimate Achievement for any Player. You will also receive numerous Treasures.

Each member of the Elite Four will challenge you to a Unique Format battle. You will need to contact the Elite Four Members to discover their rules before your challenge.

Should you be defeated by any member of the Elite Four, must restart your Gym Challenge. After an Elite Four Challenge ends, you must also wait a cooldown period.

The Elite Four

Da_Granny

AlexManectric

Matthew69

The Elite Four may be challenged once after you have defeated all 10 Gyms.

Rules

Please read the following rules before starting your challenge.

1) Cooldown lasts for three days. You may not challenge any Gym Leader during this time.

2) Leaders may use Basic Pokemon of any type provided they evolve into a Pokemon of their Element.

3) Card Rarity restrictions apply to ALL CARDS in every level - Trainers, Energy and Pokemon

4) Exploiting bugged cards is not permitted and will result in an automatic loss for challengers

My decision is final. Unless I make a mistake, in which case my correction will be final.

Frequently Asked Questions!

Is this Tournament still running?

It's hard to believe it, but this tournament is still active! New challengers are always welcome. You can start your challenge today by battling your first Gym Leader. Registration will be handled by us after your first battle is complete.

What are the Prizes?

Prizes are the same no matter what level you challenge at! These are randomly generated from selections based on what I have abundances of, but could include Full Art cards, Secret Rares and Packs. We are always happy to accept donations for Prizes!

I don't understand the cooldown system...

The cooldown system is there to help reduce the burden on Gym Leaders, as well as to prevent Challengers from spamming challenges. If you lose against a Gym Leader you will be placed under cooldown for three days, which means you will be unable to challenge any Gym Leader during this time. You can check the date at which your cooldown ends by viewing Message #4 below. Failing to follow this rule will result in a ban from this tournament.

Can I Change My Deck/Level?

Mainly to prevent players from simply exploiting weaknesses, you are not allowed to change any card in your deck once you begin your gym challenge, even if a new expansion is released, for the whole of your Gym Challenge. This also adds to the significance of challengers who have reached the Gym Challenge Hall of Fame. This rule does not apply against the Elite Four.

If you do ever wish to change your deck, this can be done by posting a message to this thread and asking for your challenge to reset. All your Gym wins will be cleared and you may begin again with a brand new deck of your choosing, at any level you want.

Can I be a Gym Leader?

I get asked this question a lot, so though personal, I think it's best to write my answer here.

There is a lot more to being a Gym Leader than simply winning battles. I am very careful when selecting Gym Leaders to ensure the maximum enjoyment for both challengers and other leaders and it is a process even the current Gym Leaders aren't aware of. At a time when the TCGO Community is so diverse this is never an easy decision to make but I feel right now I have the best 10 people operating as Gym Leaders, and have no immediate plans to change that. Please do not bug me over this matter nor ask to be a Gym Leader, as it will almost certainly cement a negative response for you in the future.

I can't find a Gym Leader to Battle!

Some Gym Leaders can be extremely busy, but I have made sure I have as wide a range of time-zones covered as possible. For more advice on how to contact Gym Leaders, view Top Tip 1 in Message #7 below.

Which sets are allowed in the Alternate Format?

The Alternate Format allows the use of 7 sets: HGSS-Base set, HGSS-Unleashed, HGSS-Undaunted, HGSS-Triumphant, HGSS-Call of Legends, BW-Base set, BW-Emerging Powers and BW-Noble Victories. It also allows the use of all HGSS Promotional Cards, and BW Promotional Cards numbered 32 or less. The Booster packs for these sets can be viewed in the shop if you are still unsure.

Which sets are allowed in the BW Format?

The BW Format allows the use of cards from any of the 10 Black & White Expansions, from BW-Base Set through to BW-Plasma Blast

Which sets are allowed in the Modified Format?

The Modified format is identical to the Modified Format in real life. The current Modified format allows the use of any card (or reprint) from the BW-Next Destinies set and any more recent releases. It also includes any BW Promotional Card numbered 33 and upwards (This includes Tropical Beach)

What else do you do on the Forums Alex?

Things worth checking out on the Forums:

Gravybeast's Trade Thread (Trading) - I am Gravybeast's aid and help with trades from time to time.

Forum Guides - My guides achieved sticky status on 04/07/2013. (Thank you Moderators!)

How can I contact you if there's a problem?

Simply post a reply to this thread, or add me as a friend in game to chat to me. I will try to make time for you, but please remember I'm a very busy girl - and sometimes you might have to wait a while!

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to post a message here - there are plenty of people able to help you! I am always happy to receive feedback and suggestions in the same way :)

Player's Comments!

We get a lot of feedback about the League - and I just wanted to share some of these messages here both as thank yous for such fantastic comments and also to remind our incredible team what a difference they've made to Player's experiences!

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that you guys are doing an amazing job. I think this is one of the coolest ideas. I've played three different gym leaders now, and they all had cool decks and were super nice and fun to play against. I got some really good advice on strategy and deck building from them. Thanks to everyone who's making this Trading Card League possible, you are the people that are making this community awesome.

zbtguest - Long-Term Challenger

I don't know what to expect but it is a great format and sounds fun :)

honslo - New Challenger

Everyone has been really kind and helpful, and I wish every challenger the best of luck. Hopefully this tournament will go on for a long long time, and I might see everyone sometime again :)

Goldenvoid - Dragon Gym Leader and Former Challenger

It's absolutely amazing the initiative you are taking in setting up this entire tournament, for however long it's been up. The ideas you come up with and the steps you take to achieve those goals are mind grasping. Theres quite a few tournaments in PTCGO that are excellent, but yours just seems to be steps ahead of the rest. Due to me not being able to enter many tournaments (either I'm late for sign up or theres no more room), I find myself quite bored doing random battles with no real reward or "journey". Since I joined this year, I have found myself enjoying your tournament more than anything else PTCGO provides. I enjoy battling up the ranks to try and have my name etched on that "Hall of Fame" spot. It's quite an honor and privilege to be a part of something so wonderful. Thank you and thank you to ALL of your gym leaders and aids for giving me that opportunity. Much love.

BlueSanity - Long-Term Challenger

I wish the best of luck to all Challengers, as well as to my Gym Leaders and fellow Elite Four members. Drop me a Private Message if you have questions, I'm always happy to help. Please be aware I have a life so forgive me if I'm occasionally too busy. I'm online every now and then, and will probably check this thread 2-3 times a day so you should be able to find me either way! My Birthday is coming up on the 14th September.. Just letting you know! :)

Best Wishes!

TCGO Queen,

AlexManectic

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headline News

Following on from the reset, I have made considerable changes to the front page - please take some time to read them :)

We will be back LIVE on the 30th August!

Check out the newest feature: 'Stories from Alex'!

Hall Of Fame: Gym Leader Challenge

These Challengers defeated all Gym Leaders to earn a place in the Hall of Fame!

Advanced Level (Original Format)

Deck: Darkrai EX/Mewtwo EX/Sableye/Smeargle

March 2013

[/TABLE]

Goldenvoid

Deck: Darkrai EX/Hydreigon (Dark Trance)

April 2013

[/TABLE]

Supernova51D

Deck: Sunflora/Vileplume/Lilligant/Victini/Accelgor/Shaymin EX

April 2013

[/TABLE]

Please read Message #33. This is out of date.

Active Challengers:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 1100]

[TD=width: 160]Username[/TD]

[TD=width: 120]

Level

[/TD]

[TD=width: 60]

Lives

[/TD]

[TD=width: 10] [/TD]

[TD=width: 10] [/TD][/size]

Deck

Sample Player

Stories from Alex

Every so often I'll post a little story or thought to share with you. It might be about the Trading Card League, something else going on in TCGO or something that's happened in my life that I really want to talk about! Enjoy reading - it's just a little insight into my crazy life! :)

I'm back.

Things have finally been resolved. It's a relief. There's many a story I'd like to share with you all over the coming weeks - and I hope I'll be able to find you all personally to do so. Please don't be a stranger, say hello if you see me online!

To business: SuperNova, contact me ASAP to discuss the Challenger List. It would be great if you could keep updating it for the time being until I put alternative measures in place - but I will discuss this when I speak to you.

To anyone wishing to challenge me: The best times to find me will be from 7-8pm GMT +1 for the time being - but I will be on at random times as well.

I sincerely apologise for being away for so long, but it is credit to the community and the amazing team we have gathered here that things have not gone completely to shot in my absence :)

Once again, I've missed you all and can't wait to catch up with you!

Best Wishes,

TCGO Queen,

AlexManectric x

The Gym Leader's Board

This Board is for Gym Leader's use only - however, you might find it an interesting read :)

Important Messages:

ALL GYM LEADERS need to find me on the 28th or 29th August for briefing and updates. There is a Gym Leader meeting on the 28th at 3pm GMT - it would be very helpful if you could be online at that time.

When you post the result of a challenger, can you please make it clear whether they are a new or existing challenger. You must also post the level they are challenging at. It is important to also include your progress through the Gym Leader Rankings by posting your current level and Progress through the next level.

An example of the correct way to report a battle is below:

I defeated existing challenger Gavino17 at Standard Level 6-3

Good game, thanks :)

Rank 1 Expert. Rank 2 Progress: 3/5

With regards to Gym Leader rankings, you begin at 0. Completing the first challenge will make you a Rank 1 Beginner, and you should notify me by posting "Rank 1 Beginner: Completed" when you report the battle that qualifies your for that Rank.

As you complete and progress through subsequent challenges, you need to post your current rank and progress through the next rank at the bottom of EVERY battle report. When you complete the Rank above your current one, you need to post, for example: "Rank 2 Student. Rank 3 Student completed" and then in your next report you will begin "Rank 3 Student". Challenges marked with a * will earn you a small prize upon completion!

If any of that doesn't make sense let me know in game and I will make sure you understand it :)

Gym Leader Rankings

Follow the Path to becoming the Ultimate Gym Leader.

Details on how to track this are above.

Beginner

1) Win a battle

2) Deal 100 damage in a single attack

3) Win a game 6-2 or better

Student

1) Evolve 6 Pokemon in a single battle

2) Play 7 games in a single week*

3) Win 2 battles in a row

Apprentice

1) Win a game 6-1 or better

2) Deal 120 Damage with one attack

3) Introduce and battle 2 new challengers in one day

Gym Leader

1) Play 10 games in a single week*

2) Introduce and battle 3 new players in one day

3) Defeat a challenger without losing a prize

Professional

1) Deal 150 damage in one attack

2) Win 4 consecutive games*

3) Defeat a challenger on your first turn

Veteran

1) Win two games in a row, taking 4 or more prizes, without losing a prize

2) Deal 180 damage in a single attack

3) Play 15 challengers in one week*

Expert

1) Evolve 16 Pokemon in one battle

2) Introduce 5 new players to the League in one day*

3) Win two consecutive battles without losing a prize card

Elite

1) Win an Advanced BW or Modified Game without using Pokemon-EXs

2) Win 7 games in a row*

3) Deal 300 damage with one attack

Legendary

1) Introduce and battle 15 new challengers in a single week*

2) Win 3 games in a row without losing a prize

3) Take 6 prizes without taking damage*

Ultimate

Win 12 Battles in a row*

Top Tip 1: How to organise Battles

1) If you Open the Friends tab (Symbol with 3 people in the Menu Bar) and type the Gym Leader's username into the white search bar, then hit enter, the Gym Leader will automatically be added to your friends list. Double clicking that Leader's username will then start a Private Chat - use this to contact Gym Leaders to organise Battles

2) Gym Leaders may be busy! Sometimes you may have to wait before battling

3) Leaders should have all the other leaders added. Your best bet if stuck is to Private Message another online leader to help you organise games

4) Check the list below to find out what time Leaders are normally on. This is a rough guide, and doesn't necessarily mean leaders can be found at these times - but most leaders will be on from 5PM onwards at their local time :)

[TABLE= width: 640]

Gym

Leader

Timezone

Fire

FreeSpirit87

GMT +1

Grass

AlexManectric

GMT +0

Water

kfisherman

Random

Colourless

ImMrFlubaDub

GMT +1

Lightning

jynxedorange

GMT -4

Fighting

ESCGoat

GMT -7

Psychic

Grizzlych

GMT +2

Steel

SuperNova51D

GMT +0

Dark

Yakinta

GMT

Dragon

Goldenvoid

GMT + 0

[/TABLE]

Some Gym Leaders may be away on Holiday - you can find details of that right here :)

If you are lucky enough to be able to challenge the Elite Four, it is best to leave a message here on this thread notifying the Elite Four Team when the best time to find you online is. Give them as wide a range of times as possible, and they will do their best to meet you during those hours :)

Challenger Rankings

Coming soon!

These will be of a similar style to Gym Leader Rankings - and will feature characters from the Video Game series as the ranks (eg. Bug Catcher, Trainer, Professor)

Thx for answering my questions guys. :)

But i have one more question lol

How long will the cooldown last? (Found answer on the front but I do have 1 more question lol)

Are reprints from HGSS allowed when playing Matthew69?

1) AM i only allowed to use one deck?

2) Do i have to beat all gym leaders to challenge an Elite 4

3) how do i sign up? do i just ask in the chat or stat somewhere on the forums.

4) Is it possilbe to Donate still?

Sorry if some of these were already answered.

just checking the time.

alex it say you posted this at 12.01 AM from my view. ( i was supposed to quote the last post)

what does it say on yours from your view?

Archived