Sign in to follow this  
DialgaChampion

How will the TCG Online Shop work starting in February?

Wriden
Actually this move will likely make cards from older sets much harder to get, increasing their prices. Something that will be worse for new players.

New players will want old cards, old players will want new cards. I don't see a problem at all, both sides should be able to get what they want. In the future we will also be able to get cards with tokens,that should help as well.

Maybe I am wrong, but I will wait to see how this will work then I will complain if I see it is unfair for most players.

NinjaDethStrike
New players will want old cards, old players will want new cards. I don't see a problem at all, both sides should be able to get what they want. In the future we will also be able to get cards with tokens, that should help as well.

Maybe I am wrong, but I will wait to see how this will work then I will complain if I see it is unfair for most players.

That's true, but the old players still have the same access to the new cards that the new players do. It's not like the old players will simply stop buying packs/codes and need to rely on new players for their supply. While the new codes will be harder to get equally across the board, the old card will be exclusive to the old players.

I definitely agree that being able to buy singles with tokens will help (assuming they're reasonably priced), but that still doesn’t solve the problem of why this is happening now? Why force the change prematurely before they’re properly prepared with ways for new or foreign players to have access to the cards they want? I don’t understand why they didn’t simply wait to initiate this change until the gem system was ready to go.

Ledgon

Great, now I have 200 booster credits I can't use. I was looking forward to playing with Plasma Storm cards online and testing decks for tournaments (not to mention opening pack is exciting), but now all that I have been looking forward to for the past three months is out the window. I am terribly disappointed in the PTCGO team. If I had known about this before the Bondaries Crossed release, I could have spent all my credits at that time when the cards from that set were more valuable. Now if I bought a bunch of packs from sets prior to Plasma Storm, I won't be able to get nearly as much for those cards in trades, etc.

I expect the user population of the game to drop after this path hits and everyone realizes what has happened. What a slap in the face to the foreign players as well.

LegendExcal

Is this for the second market? cause i dont understand it. You guys are making it HARDER for everyone. not easier.

My_Real_Name

I agree with everyone else. This is a money ploy and nothing else.

00nicojk

pure marketing.

cassion86

so that makes getting packs harder since that is in a place that cant go and buy packs becuse thay dont sell them. so know i have know reason to play this game any more. so thanks for destroying the hole game for sume people like a soldier that is deployed that this is the only way they can play.

Edited by Prof_Wolphee

Videoland

From what I have been able to see the plasma storm cards gets more valuable, and not the other way around. Because the new players are much less than all the old players who already have everything they need from the older sets and now just want the new plasma storm cards! Just look at the chat and public trades, everyone is looking for plasma storm card and packs.

This really messes with all the foreign players who can't get the cards day 1, and those who don't collect the cards IRL who now have to buy cards from ebay for a much higher price because of skyrocket demand and no gems available. If they had made the gems available at the same time as this change, it would have been okay, but this is just a horrible decision who takes a way a lot of the fun for people who can't get the plasma storm cards as fast, and everyone who had been saving up packs and was looking forward to open Plasma Storm packs at the release!

Mod_Hairpower

Hello Guys,

I see that you have some questions and opinions about "What happened to the old the booster codes". I recommend that you check out the [thread=32505]Prof_Mahis Thread[/thread] for more information about the booster credits changes.

Good Luck

Keyser7

I live in France, so i can't buy real Plasma Storm pack in my country. Plasma Storm is not availble in France for the moment (wait 2 month) Boundaries Crossies is still not avaible.

I can't buy pack in PTCGO, because gems or token is not avaible too.

So tell me how to get Plasma Storm cards ???

Zekoslav
I live in France, so i can't buy real Plasma Storm pack in my country. Plasma Storm is not availble in France for the moment (wait 2 month) Boundaries Crossies is still not avaible.

I can't buy pack in PTCGO, because gems or token is not avaible too.

So tell me how to get Plasma Storm cards ???

You apply for a green card and move to USA? Seriously though; I know how you feel, as do many other non American players, but I don't think anybody cares about us. :(

OMEGAlomaniac

Am I the only one NOT okay with the switch from booster credits? I know the official statement is along the lines of: "it reduces player confusion", but I don't think thats the case at all. IMO, it's being done to give The Pokemon Company greater control over what players can purchase in a misguided attempt at making more profit.

This change is bad for many reasons:

It limits player choice - Just because I might be buying boosters from one set irl, does not mean I want the same boosters online. Because of the random nature of opening boosters, my paper collection and my online collection are totally different. The current system allows me to buy different boosters to augment my different collections in different ways, making the game more varied and enjoyable. Forcing players to redeem the same pack online over and over, just because I bought more paper boosters of that type will limit my collection and enjoyment of the game.

It hurts international players - Has been covered several times already, infact just see the couple of posts above me. Players who don't have Plasma Storm in their region yet are at a SERIOUS disadvantage.

Has made existing credits almost worthless - Allowing everyone to choose from any booster lets people who have everything they want from current sets save credits for the next expansion. Moving away from this serves only one purpose; bringing in more money for The Pokemon Company by forcing players to purchase new (physical) packs. There is NO advantage to players here. I know that I personally have saved up quite a lot of codes in the months I have been away from the game, and now I have found that I can't even play with the latest expansion. If I bother to redeem them now, I will be playing with older cards.

You need to realise that this is NOT going to benefit the player, and it is NOT a change we want to see implimented. If these plans proceed, you may end up loosing more players and money than you anticipated.

TPCi_Mathis

I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner. I had intended to, but felt that the dialogue covered many of the points that I'd have made. That said; here's an official reply. It's likely to be my last on this issue.

Claiming that there are no business decisions at play here would be a lie. Likewise, thinking that this is simply a money grab would be foolish. We believe this change is beneficial to the long term health of the game, from both player and business standpoints. I've got neither the time, nor clearance to go into full detail on every aspect of this, but here are a few tidbits which may make this change a bit easier to swallow.

One of the best ways to keep a game alive is a constant influx of new players. Lowering the barrier to entry and eliminating walk away points helps make that possible. The booster credit system is both confusing and overwhelming to a new player, creating a walk away point. The player gets a credit, rather than a booster, and is then presented with an information overload in the form of 13+ different expansions.

That's not to say that we're only thinking about adding new players; it is also critical to keep existing players interested in the game. We understand that some existing players may not see this as a beneficial change. It's understandable, given the information currently available to the public. However, compare the information you had when the announcement was made in December to what you've seen since. Did you know about the ability to get boosters just for logging in, thanks to the Daily Login Bonus? Did you know that cards would eventually be available in the shop for Trainer Tokens? Of course you didn't. We hadn't told you. Now that you're in that frame of mind, consider that we've got more features like this which we haven't yet told you about.

I know I may not have given some folks the answers they wanted or to which they feel they're entitled. I don't intend to come off as dismissive or give the impression that TPCi doesn't care about the community. This is a labor of love for the Pokémon TCG Online team and we do have the best interests of the game and the players in mind. We hope that you'll see this proven true as we continue to make improvements to the game.

Edited by Prof_Mathis

NinjaDethStrike

Thanks for taking the time to comment Prof_Mathis.

While you made some valid points. I still feel like this system was not implemented well. I understand why it's happening (I think), and you're right that being able to get cards with gems and tokens alleviates a lot of the initial problems, but there are still some major issues.

The biggest problem with doing this now is that we don't have gems or token buying. It's been mentioned that we're getting them...sometime...eventually. For players in countries where the new sets are released the same day as the US, this isn't a big problem, but for those of us who live in countries that don't have this luxury, this is a game ender. You've made it impossible for those players to get Plasma Storm packs outside of the secondary market, which has almost doubled the price of PLS codes. Had you simply waited to implement this change when gems or token purchases were ready to go, we could have had a resource availible to keep playing. Now however, many of us have simply been left on the outside looking in.

Zekoslav
I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner. I had intended to, but felt that the dialogue covered many of the points that I'd have made. That said; here's an official reply. It's likely to be my last on this issue.

Of course, ignoring is always the easiest solution.

Claiming that there are no business decisions at play here would be a lie. Likewise, thinking that this is simply a money grab would be foolish.

Foolish you say and yet you don't offer any decent arguments do back your claim up.

One of the best ways to keep a game alive is a constant influx of new players.

Agreed. However the direction this game headed will probably decrease number of player instead of increasing it (which you claim is your intention).

Lowering the barrier to entry and eliminating walk away points helps make that possible. The booster credit system is both confusing and overwhelming to a new player, creating a walk away point. The player gets a credit, rather than a booster, and is then presented with an information overload in the form of 13+ different expansions.

1. The current system is not complicated, I've seen elementary school-aged children, to whom English isn't a first language, understanding the previous system perfectly fine. So either you're seriously underestimating players intelligence and ability to grasp quite simple concepts like redeeming codes for packs, or you're trying a cheap spin pretending that this is for players benefit while its clearly not.

2. 13+ expansions in an online game you say? Well, there's even more physical expansions out there, isn't it? So, you trust players to be able to buy packs they need in real life, but not online? Are you implying that logging into PTCGO makes people less competent deciding which packs to buy?

3. Maybe people walk away from the game due to some other reasons as well, for example because it's:

- incredibly buggy,

- constantly crashing

- ingame menus look like they have been made for consoles and their gamepads rather then for PC's which use a mice (wonderful invention); that's simply poor game design; it's unintuitive and takes far more clicks for an action than it should.

- that, coupled with the fact that we can only put an 8 hour public trades and trades don't show up before they are about to expire, makes trading incredibly annoying and slow.

- there's more issues, but since you probably don't care about them, there's not much sense in listing them...

That's not to say that we're only thinking about adding new players; it is also critical to keep existing players interested in the game. We understand that some existing players may not see this as a beneficial change.

Right, you showed how much you cared about your international players with this move. You conveniently ignored the fact that most non US players can't buy Plasma Storm packs yet and won't be able to for some time, so you've effectively gave a huge advantage to American players. You think that's fair? Game developers are usually attempting to make their games more balanced and you've taken another route, intentionally making it harder for players based purely on geographical location. That's not nice.

It's understandable, given the information currently available to the public.

If that's so, the solution is simple; make more information available to the public. You're not developing a sixth-generation jet fighter, you're developing a video game. A video game which depends on its players, so you know, people usually try to treat their customers better than TPC is...

However, compare the information you had when the announcement was made in December to what you've seen since. Did you know about the ability to get boosters just for logging in, thanks to the Daily Login Bonus?

One random booster every 5 days? [irony] Yeah it's brilliant. It's incredible helpful. It magically makes every other poor decision that was made while developing this game right. It will only take new players now, what, half a year or a year to obtain a decent deck? Thanks. [/irony]

Did you know that cards would eventually be available in the shop for Trainer Tokens? Of course you didn't. We hadn't told you.

1. Well, why don't you tell us then? What good can it come from keeping your customers in the dark? None.

2. Who knows when trading tokens for cards will be available. Given the progress this game has been making that might take half a year or maybe even a whole year.

3. Even when/if trading tokens becomes available; tokens aren't that easy to earn and cards are probably going to be quite expensive (at least useful ones). We can probably expect prices in hundreds, if not thousands of tokens for a single card. So I seriously doubt that will make it any easier for players (new or old).

Now that you're in that frame of mind, consider that we've got more features like this which we haven't yet told you about.

WHY? There is no reason why you'd have to keep it a secret, once again this is a video game dependent on its player base, not a ultra super secret research which could change the universe and everything within it. All that secrecy makes no sense. My theory is you don't now what will end up in the game, you're just making it up as you go along and that's why you're unable to share more information with your player base.

I know I may not have given some folks the answers they wanted or to which they feel they're entitled.

As far as I'm concerned you can run your game however you want, but you could at least be honest enough not to try and spin an obvious money grab as something beneficial for the players when that's clearly not the case. I'd appreciate more an honest "we won't more money" answer then this, quite frankly insulting, spin attempts.

I don't intend to come off as dismissive or give the impression that TPCi doesn't care about the community.

You say you don't intend to yet that's probably exactly the impression which you leave on a decent amount of players.

You're answers have been condescending and evasive. You, again, completely ignored the issues of your international players, but I guess we should get used to that kind of treatment. "Thank you."

P.S. I lost this post originally because even forums don't work properly here and no one seems to care. So yeah, one can really see how much you care about your players and the quality of the game... :rolleyes:

OMEGAlomaniac
Claiming that there are no business decisions at play here would be a lie. Likewise, thinking that this is simply a money grab would be foolish. We believe this change is beneficial to the long term health of the game, from both player and business standpoints. I've got neither the time, nor clearance to go into full detail on every aspect of this, but here are a few tidbits which may make this change a bit easier to swallow.

One of the best ways to keep a game alive is a constant influx of new players. Lowering the barrier to entry and eliminating walk away points helps make that possible. The booster credit system is both confusing and overwhelming to a new player, creating a walk away point. The player gets a credit, rather than a booster, and is then presented with an information overload in the form of 13+ different expansions.

That's not to say that we're only thinking about adding new players; it is also critical to keep existing players interested in the game. We understand that some existing players may not see this as a beneficial change. It's understandable, given the information currently available to the public. However, compare the information you had when the announcement was made in December to what you've seen since. Did you know about the ability to get boosters just for logging in, thanks to the Daily Login Bonus? Did you know that cards would eventually be available in the shop for Trainer Tokens? Of course you didn't. We hadn't told you. Now that you're in that frame of mind, consider that we've got more features like this which we haven't yet told you about.

And still, there is no reason here why people who already have saved up booster credits can't use them to unlock the new cards. You want to change codes in new packs so that they only unlock the corresponding booster online? Fine, do that, you gave your reasons (even though I don't agree at all, choosing a physical booster to buy in the first place is no different than choosing an online one). But don't take away the option for people to use the codes that they already have to buy new cards. Since you are phasing them out anyway, I don't see why we can't use them while they are still available (other than for pure financial gain). Allowing current players to exchange their current booster credits or unredeemed codes for new Plasma Storm boosters would not only be a gesture of good will, but I think it will also reduce the resistance to the overall change from the current player base.

GR0
The booster credit system is both confusing and overwhelming to a new player, creating a walk away point. The player gets a credit, rather than a booster, and is then presented with an information overload in the form of 13+ different expansions.

Do people with such an incredibly, gigantically, humongously... I can't find the right word to describe how much... low IQ even have the ability to understand how to play the Pokemon TCG in the first place? I'd be surprised if such people would even have the knowledge on how to breathe.

frishter

It makes sense for codes to unlock the same boosters. They are perfectly in their right to do this. Others are just over-reacting.

mgcurto
"the change will only make it easier to redeem booster codes and get cards online" - Prof steel.

No, no it is not easier at all, it is 10 times harder. This is purely a restriction, restrictions never make anything easier.

Codes will be more expensive as people will only want the newest set where there are a limited amount, it will be a lot harder to get codes at a reasonable price now.

I agree. Another wonderful money making scam by Pokemon TCG. Congrats guys.

eharima

They never release any info because of the backlash there would be when its delayed lel

Dev team progression is unfortunately slow for whatever back stage reasons and is guaranteed delays and bugs.

we been in beta 2+years, every maintenance has over run, every update makes new bugs.

what they should do, seeing as they are getting shot of booster credits is implement old packs to bait people to use up the surpluss booster credits, like the original pokie packs.

lets not forget this GREAT quote

FUTURE PLANS: In November 2011 the TCG Online will introduce Gems into the store.
FUTURE PLANS: In November 2011
November 2011
Edited by eharima

AlexTF

Just a quick question: How do I get those booster pack tokens and what are those poke coins for anyway?...

FlameRaven
Do people with such an incredibly, gigantically, humongously... I can't find the right word to describe how much... low IQ even have the ability to understand how to play the Pokemon TCG in the first place? I'd be surprised if such people would even have the knowledge on how to breathe.

This seems a bit unfair. I myself felt a bit overwhelmed when I joined up and started considering buying real cards. There are a lot of sets to choose from. Which sets have the best holos and rares? Which sets are most valuable to trade? There can be a lot of questions for a new player-- and I should stress that I'm not a new player. I'm new to the TCGO, and my knowledge of the metagame is 12 years out of date, but I did play the game for several years before I quit. For someone who's never played the game before, I imagine having that much choice must be more than a little confusing. I mean, that's why I don't play Magic:the Gathering-- too many sets, too many rules and errata. I was never able to keep track of it all. I play Pokemon specifically because it's got very similar rules to Magic but is a less intense game overall.

FlameRaven
Just a quick question: How do I get those booster pack tokens and what are those poke coins for anyway?...

You can get code cards in most recent booster packs of physical cards. Enter the code on the website and you'll get a booster credit. Older codes give you a credit you can use for any set, newer codes give you an online booster from the specific set you bought. So a plasma storm booster gives you a code for a plasma storm booster in the online game.

The tokens do nothing. For now. Supposedly in the future you'll be able to use them to buy avatar items and individual cards.

Crystalboom

hi

Mod_Poplar

Hi Crystalboom,

Unrelated, one-worded posts are usually considered spam. Furthermore, it is against the rules to post in threads that have been inactive for 14 or more days. Please refrain from doing so in the future. I'll be closing out this thread, since it is a few months old.