Sign in to follow this  
DialgaChampion

How will the TCG Online Shop work starting in February?

NinjaDethStrike

I feel like I should add that for players who live in countries where booster packs don't come with codes, this decision is particularly devistating. It's already hard enough for us to obtain codes....this is just going to make it even harder.

Quinnzel101

I'm not particularly thrilled about this. Online is the only way I play this game anymore and I'm not keen on the idea of shelling out even more money for digital booster packs. The way it works now is fine. I don't see why it has to change when it would be easier for everybody (including the developers) to just keep it the way it is. I find it interesting that they're boasting that this change will make things less complex when in fact it will do just the opposite.

This is my issue. I generally obtain code cards from booster boxes and sometimes in lots (up to 50 at a time) from people who have no need for them... but I distribute the credits gained amongst several sets depending on what I need at the moment. So when I get the card I need in say, the 8th pack I open, I still have 42 credits I can use on other sets rather than 42 now essentially useless booster packs. Do you understand? Restricting us to particular sets per code is going to make things highly frustrating for everybody... and it's not going to stop players from just trading packs for packs of a different set anyway. So why even bother introducing a change like this?

Or you guys could just be honest and admit it's a ploy to try and sell more Plasma Storm boxes when it comes out. How about focusing your resources on fixing the broken trading system first?

daoneandonly

And after comming back a second time since the game is installed based, you decided to do this TCGO? I thought bringing the entire game down for roughly 3 months was the worst decision you could make, but now you're going to hit us in the wallet with even more restrictions? You know you're litteraly punching your own people in the face with this action. I doubt if I could get any more dissappointed in you. But I'm pretty sure you would manage to do it again.

If it's something TCGO needs, it's quite the opposite. TCGO needs a bigger fanbase, more reasons to play and even free stuff! The best aspect of the game were the codes. Being able to chose what you want and need, because that's the same reason people buy IRL packs. But now the veteran TCGO players who probably have probably saved up on a decent amount of TCGO Codes are the ones who gets disadvanteged.

Packs will become more expensive than ever. Codes will become more expensive. And all of that just to make more profit.

Also prices of codes will go up on the second hand market, while TCGO won't benefit at all from that.

To hear that this is brought as a positive thing to the players, is absolutely disgusting. This insult to your entire fanbase/community is like laughing out loud while they're taking the said punch in the face. This news should be brought on your knees begging for forgiveness.

Probably the worst decision TCGO has ever made. When this comes into effect, it surely will lead to a massive decrease of players if not the entire downfall of this entire game by lack of motivated players and total community.

NinjaDethStrike

I think the best compromise is to start having boosters be redeemed 1 for 1 as planned, but to allow players to still purchase new boosters with their old credits. That way, the old credits are slowly phased out, since there aren't any more coming into existence, but the players who have saved up codes don't instantly have them become worthless.

daoneandonly
I think the best compromise is to start having boosters be redeemed 1 for 1 as planned, but to allow players to still purchase new boosters with their old credits. That way, the old credits are slowly phased out, since there aren't any more coming into existence, but the players who have saved up codes don't instantly have them become worthless.

That's assumming this will actually happen.

This should never be happening. Ever. This whole idea should be ripped in pieces and they should come up with a better idea. Like I said, this game is signing it's own death warrant if they're actually going through with this.

TBurrows9730

Going to like for like is not the end of the world, having little to no warning was my biggest issue.

I would have made different decisions in the past if I knew this was coming.

I have offered my options to easy the pain, so we will see if anything interesing or new is announced.

Edited by TBurrows9730

Keyser7

Do you think players who live in other countries ?

I live in France and French cards come out 2 months after the English cards. With this new policy, I would be delayed by 2 months each new series. Since there are an average of 2 months between each series, I'd always late. Impossible to have a competitive deck in these conditions.

If you are organizing tournaments, I would never have the same chance of winning than other countries.

Please change your minds.

NM2

I'm usually one of those people who don't oppose to and disagree with every little change made before they try it out, but in this case, I just can't see anything, literally anything, positive coming from that change in the code redemptions. Right now, getting your hands on a single code card gives you the option to choose from a variety of packs in the online game, that change only takes away that option while adding nothing. You make a case for simplicity but I really don't think the current system is that complicated that needs to be re-designed, especially when the whole product is lacking in other departments that, arguably, should be addressed first. I obviously can't know the number of complaints about the complexity of the redemption process that the support team is receiving but my guess would be that the number is low and comes entirely from the younger audience. Here's a small list of the proposed system's drawbacks which are particularly valid for younger players.

- Freedom of choice. Imagine a player that wants a specific card, let's say Landorus EX. So the player wants Boundaries Crossed packs. A friend/parent buy a couple packs for the player as a gift but not knowing what he/she is looking for, they get him/her Dragons Exalted packs. Now the player is not only stuck with some physical packs that don't come with the needed card, but also with unwanted virtual ones as well. The option to redeem the codes for a pack of his/her choice is now gone. Which brings me to my next point...

- Saving up. Right now, if I come across a bunch of codes, I may not want to redeem them for one reason or another. I may have all I need from the previous sets, I may want to take a break from the game, etc. So what I'd like to do is save up my codes for a future set and enjoy it from day 1 instead of having to wait in order to accumulate the necessary codes once the set is released.

- Availability of packs. I want Terrakion but my local store does not sell Noble Victories packs anymore. I could buy a newer pack and redeem the code for a NVI one before, after the change goes through, I won't be able to. Also, most countries get new sets a few weeks, or in some extreme cases months, later than the rest. That may be due to the fact that the cards have to be translated, due to importing delays, etc. How can those players remain competitive when their opponents have a direct advantage over them?

- Secondary market prices. I realize that TPCi as a company doesn't profit directly from the secondary market but it is obvious that they are aware of its existence and have made moves to lower the prices and increase the availability of certain cards/products in the past (see Yanmega Prime box, Fall EX tins, upcoming Spring EX tins). Can you imagine the rise in the price of code cards if certain codes "unlock" certain packs? One of the cards with the highest demand right now is Pokémon Catcher, a card available in Emerging Powers packs. If a player wants a Pokémon Catcher, they can use their codes for EPO packs and try to get it. Once the change is final however, they'll have to look for Emerging Powers code cards exclusively, code cards that came with a set over a year and a half old. Players will have to look for specific code cards. Stores will have to sort out and arrange code cards by set which translates to increased cost which, in turn, translates to increased prices.

- Relative prices. Continuing the previous example, certain cards will be harder to come by in PTCGOnline. The relative prices of those cards in the in-game trading market will skyrocket. Newer players won't be able to obtain those cards through packs and will be required to trade heavily for them. This will only result in widening the gap between old and newer players as well as between players who can't invest much money in the game and the more well-off ones.

- Simplicity? The current system says "buy a physical pack, get a virtual pack of your choice". The proposed system says "buy a physical pack, get a virtual pack of your choice but only if you bought a pack between BLW-BCR, otherwise you'll get a virtual pack of the same set". Is it really less complicated for younger players? Keep in mind that the majority of those young players don't keep track with the forums, announcements, etc., they just input their codes and play. Who will explain those changes to them?

As I mentioned before, the only reason provided that suggests such a change is the simplicity of the new process. If any of the Profs could go ahead and refute my arguments (and judging by the responses in this thread, I would say the arguments of the whole community) and present some advantages that I'm missing, I would be happy to accept the change, otherwise, I can't see how you may expect the community not to react.

Looking forward to a reply.

GR0

@NM2: Very well worded. I'd like to add something to that as well:

- Reliance on the secondary market. This is basically an obvious conclusion, but something the Profs are against and so worth noting: the new system would INCREASE the amount of codes bought or traded in the secondary market (AKA the new system would ENCOURAGE that). Currently, only those who don't buy packs themselves (or don't buy enough) buy or trade codes. When this new system goes into effect however, players might be buying BW12 packs (just something random as an example) to bolster their real-life deck, while they need BW11 packs for TCGO. So, what happens? Will they buy "useless" BW11 packs to supplement? No: they will trade their BW12 codes for BW11 codes (trading outside the game has its advantages over using the trading system), and/or buy additional BW11 codes from the secondary market.

TBurrows9730

Today I was going to ask for an update or comment but this qualifies.

From Prof_Mathus in a different thread:

"we believe this is a necessary change and will be proceeding as planned. We'll be sharing big picture plans for 2013 with the community over the course of the next few months. This information should help shed additional light on some of the reasons for the booster code redemption change, as well as how the impact of this change will be mitigated."

End of his comments.

So other changes are coming and this is part of the change.

Waiting is difficult, but I will wait until Feb 19th to know how with will all work out.

(Feb 19th - 2 weeks after Plasma Storm is release)

NinjaDethStrike

Hopefully they're not going to wait months to implament these other measures. As it stands I'm probably not going to be able to play at all once Plasma Gale is out.

0PsyQueen96

agree with most this is bad :X the old thing was beter booster credits worked perfectly :X

NoDice

I posted this in the feedback section but I figured Id post it here too.

"If Gems being implemented is part of the reason for this, I dont see how this will benefit the online community at all.

People either use codes from booster packs they buy or codes they buy by themselves, and when gems are implemented there will be a price point established for online booster packs. Once that happens, retailers and ebayers will have a base price (most likely way higher than the 25-50 cent/code premium now) to sell packs for. This in turn, will drive away players, as the premium for playing online only will likely rise to near the expense of playing in real life.

If they intend to charge any more than 50 cents for a booster pack credit (IE hypothetically 1 gem = 1 USD = 2 booster credits), its going to drive massive amounts of casual players away."

Trillan Katos
@NM2: Very well worded. I'd like to add something to that as well:

- Reliance on the secondary market. This is basically an obvious conclusion, but something the Profs are against and so worth noting: the new system would INCREASE the amount of codes bought or traded in the secondary market (AKA the new system would ENCOURAGE that). Currently, only those who don't buy packs themselves (or don't buy enough) buy or trade codes. When this new system goes into effect however, players might be buying BW12 packs (just something random as an example) to bolster their real-life deck, while they need BW11 packs for TCGO. So, what happens? Will they buy "useless" BW11 packs to supplement? No: they will trade their BW12 codes for BW11 codes (trading outside the game has its advantages over using the trading system), and/or buy additional BW11 codes from the secondary market.

This move by the developers creates access for those who perfer safe and reliable service -- Their numbers outweigh ours: They win.

Edited by Trillan Katos
forgot the quote

TBurrows9730
This move by the developers creates access for those who perfer safe and reliable service -- Their numbers outweigh ours: They win.

Not sure this is true. The old system was safe and reliable.

wowowiwo

Im gratefull with Pokemon TCG as its the only reason, after 12 years, i started buying boosters to play my favourite card game again. The real life cards i got from the boosters are actually worthless to me as, at least outside the US, people dont play pokemon anymore and there is only 1 specific place in the whole city (mexico) where you can maybe find booster packs from the last expansions.

So this past month i bought 2 booster boxes (BC, the only kind of booster they have in the store, its imposible to get older expansion boosters) and i use my credits to redeem packs from all the other expansions. With this change i will not longer have access to old boosters, probably will only be able to redeem BC boosters untill they go out of stock in the store.

Please reconsider, think about your foreing players!

edit: just wanted to add that there is no way to make stores bring the whole variety of boosters packs as pokemon has lost his audience in Latin America, there dont even exist boosters in spanish for more kids to be interested in the game.

Edited by wowowiwo

NinjaDethStrike

Not sure this is true. The old system was safe and reliable.

Agree with TBurrows. This system isn't any safer than the one we have now. More rescritive doesn't always equal "safer." No one is forcing anybody to buy from the secondary market. Players always have the option to simply get their codes direct from pokemon booster packs.

I'd also love to see proof that the majority of the players want this, as I think it's a safe bet most of them do not.

Please reconsider, think about your foreing players!

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. Foreign players are comepletely....I can't think of a word here that won't get filtered, but you get the idea. This move is bad for anyone who doesn't get sets the same day as America.

Edited by NinjaDethStrike

Carium

This is really an assault to whoever play this game. Making things this way may seem more logical, but it has an extremely huge impact on the way the booster pack redemption and trading is done - and it's an impact for the worse.

As a foreing player I just don't have words that wouldn't be filtered to describe how much I am upset with this decision. It is already hard for us to get boosters and boxes, as we need to ship them from other countries or pay exorbitant amounts of money in our own countries.

The only way this could be just plain bad - not a terrible decision - is if you did the online shop for booster codes. If we were able to buy the packs directly from PTCGO, online, at any place of the world, and not need to buy the real pack alongside it would be less of a bad decision.

pacack

Honestly, I just want one of the Prof.'s to reply to the community.

extorcion

also agree this is bad i think we have to choose which packs should we get at least in real life evry packs cost the same so it doesnt really make a difference to get the pack you want for the codes

MagicalDrew

I personally think that the idea of redeeming like for like is a great idea. Hovever I do belive having read peoples comments I realise that they should have given more warning. People complaing that there booster credits are now worthless, thats a load of rubbish. They will still be worth excactly the same as yhou can still trade them in for the existing packs. Yer you can't get plasma storm, but they did warn that they were streamling in the news a while back. But I think as a casual player with not much funds, that stopping people stockpiling 100's of booster credits for the new release of an expansion is a positive. It means that there is a fresh start with each expansion and that the people with loads of credits saved up don't gain a monopoly on the new set and that peopl like me have a chance to get some rare cards before others.

All in all I think this is definitly a positive for the future of the game however letting there exact intentions be known earlier would have made the transition a lot less 'bumpy'

Edited by Prof_Watermelon

CuttingEdge007

What a mess they have created.Its just ridiculous.I also saved a lot of booster credits but they destroyed their value.Its not a provision to people,its another nonsense prob.I hoped i can have plasma storm booster packs but they have punished all the players.What else should i say,people have already spoken off the about this calamity........:( :( :( Such a shame.

Quinnzel101
I personally think that the idea of redeeming like for like is a great idea. Hovever I do belive having read peoples comments I realise that they should have given more warning. People complaing that there booster credits are now worthless, thats a load of rubbish. They will still be worth excactly the same as yhou can still trade them in for the existing packs. Yer you can't get plasma storm, but they did warn that they were streamling in the news a while back. But I think as a casual player with not much funds, that stopping people stockpiling 100's of booster credits for the new release of an expansion is a positive. It means that there is a fresh start with each expansion and that the people with loads of credits saved up don't gain a monopoly on the new set and that peopl like me have a chance to get some rare cards before others.

All in all I think this is definitly a positive for the future of the game however letting there exact intentions be known earlier would have made the transition a lot less 'bumpy'

prepared for ther flaming

Actually, yes. To many players, existing booster credits are now indeed worthless. I already mentioned this in this thread, but I'll go ahead and say it again. When you get all the cards you need/want from a particular set, all remaining booster credits lose their value under this new system. So you carry them over to the next expansion. This saves casual players like me loads of cash and also gives more people the chance to start collecting new cards on release day. You seem to be under the impression that everybody is dealing with the exact same IRL conditions. It's hard for many of us to go out and find booster packs as they're no longer adequately stocked in places like they used to be. For people living in foreign countries, it's even more difficult as new sets can be delayed by weeks if not months. Buying code cards online for new sets won't really be an option either since everybody will jump on them at once and prices will skyrocket due to increased demand.

There are no positives. Stopping a very limited number of people from stockpiling isn't worth alienating the entire community as a whole. The only way this will work out is if gems are dirt cheap upon release. That is, they're going to have to match the prices of online sellers (20-50 cents a pack). Somehow, I just don't see that happening though.

Wriden

I like it.

IMO it will help the new players to get high value cards and trade them to old players for packs/cards, otherwise we would have always the same people dominating the game.

Edited by Prof_Watermelon

NinjaDethStrike
I like it.

IMO it will help the new players to get high value cards and trade them to old players for packs/cards, otherwise we would have always the same people dominating the game.

Actually this move will likely make cards from older sets much harder to get, increasing their prices. Something that will be worse for new players.