Sign in to follow this  
DialgaChampion

How will the TCG Online Shop work starting in February?

DialgaChampion

I was reading the news post that explained how starting in February, codes from Black & White Booster Packs will only give you the same pack online, eliminating the concept of using Booster Credits.

So with this being the case, how will the TCG Online Shop work from now on?

Will the shop still exist, but only for the purpose of purchasing items with Gems?

Because otherwise, when the transition has fully been completed, there won't be a need for the shop anymore, especially if you no longer have the choice of which digital booster pack you want to open. The client may as well just be set up so that after you enter the code online, you automatically get the pack of the same expansion added into your Collection tab.

I know it's a little bit early to be asking this, what with little information is currently known at this time, but I figured I may as well try to find out.

TPCi_Mathis

In February, code cards found in Black & White through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed boosters will continue to grant booster credits. Each booster credit can be redeemed for a digital booster from any set from HeartGold & SoulSilver through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed. Digital Black & White—Plasma Storm boosters will not be available for booster credits.

Starting with Black & White—Plasma Storm and each later set, code cards in boosters will unlock "like for like" digital boosters (a Black & White—Plasma Storm booster code will unlock a Black & White—Plasma Storm digital booster).

Eventually, code cards found in Black & White through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed boosters unlock "like for like" digital boosters, rather than booster credits (a Black & White—Next Destinies booster code will unlock a Black & White—Next Destinies digital booster).

As new game features are introduced, the Shop will have greater function than just a code redemption interface. You'll have to stay tuned for more information on that.

DialgaChampion

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info there Mike. :)

gravybeast
In February, code cards found in Black & White through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed boosters will continue to grant booster credits. Each booster credit can be redeemed for a digital booster from any set from HeartGold & SoulSilver through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed. Digital Black & White—Plasma Storm boosters will not be available for booster credits.

Starting with Black & White—Plasma Storm and each later set, code cards in boosters will unlock "like for like" digital boosters (a Black & White—Plasma Storm booster code will unlock a Black & White—Plasma Storm digital booster).

Eventually, code cards found in Black & White through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed boosters unlock "like for like" digital boosters, rather than booster credits (a Black & White—Next Destinies booster code will unlock a Black & White—Next Destinies digital booster).

As new game features are introduced, the Shop will have greater function than just a code redemption interface. You'll have to stay tuned for more information on that.

this will easily make plasma boosters worth at least 2x value of all previous boosters as well as make plasma cards skyrocket in higher value than they should be. this is not a complaint, just stating a point.

TBurrows9730

Interesting. This feel significant but I am not sure why yet. The system does this basically now as the most sought after packs are the current packs. One side affect will be to raise the prices of older cards as it will be more difficult to "open" older packs.

Not sure I see gravybeast logic for PS packs being more valuable? It might make older packs less valuable? Right now the current set is always the most wanted.

I hope\assume that there is a larger development\bussiness reason for this as it feel like it will raise a whole new set of issues.

And how will GEMs be involved in all of this?

Will our current shop credits be able to buy Plasma Storm pack?

Will out current shop credits be able to buy future packs?

Edited by TBurrows9730

TPCi_Mathis
And how will GEMs be involved in all of this?

Information on Gems will be available in the coming months.

Will our current shop credits be able to buy Plasma Storm pack?

Will out current shop credits be able to buy future packs?

Your current shop credits were acquired through the redemption of code cards from Black & White through Black & White—Boundaries Crossed boosters. The red text below should answer your first question. The blue text below should answer your second.

TBurrows9730

Thanks for the update. Did not have enought coffee when I read the post.

This changes things alot for me as now the value of my shop credit has fallen significantly.

Ok - Gravybeast now I understand and agree with your comment on the Plasma set pack values.

This will also make the first weeks of trading after a set release extremely volatile as those with the a significant number of the current packs will have a significant advantage over other in trading.

Still thinking of all the ramafications as this changes things significantly.

Matt4045

"the change will only make it easier to redeem booster codes and get cards online" - Prof steel.

No, no it is not easier at all, it is 10 times harder. This is purely a restriction, restrictions never make anything easier.

Codes will be more expensive as people will only want the newest set where there are a limited amount, it will be a lot harder to get codes at a reasonable price now.

BASCULINTHETANK

I'm interested to hear the reasons for this new plan update. Seems like a terrible idea, and there are no benefits. While the bugs can sometimes be a problem , the ideas of the PTCGO makers have been good up to this point. But who came up with this rubbish ?

aura_master8

If I redeem codes from BW - BC, will I be able to save my booster credits and buy Plasma Storm with them when it comes out?

TBurrows9730
If I redeem codes from BW - BC, will I be able to save my booster credits and buy Plasma Storm with them when it comes out?

From Prof_Mathis

Edited by TBurrows9730
added bold

Matt4045

No you can not. Cool isn't it? Much easier to get packs like the prof's are saying.

NinjaDethStrike

This is a terrible idea. I don't understand the decision making process here at all. It is aboutlely not easier for the players. In fact it's extermely restrictive. It esentially make any pack credits we've saved up useless. I'm so anrgy right now I feel like I can barely even type. My hands are actually shaking. If you really want to make using the online shop eaiser, let us redeem more than one code at a time. This seems like an obvious attempt to money grab as it punishes people who have saved up codes and forces them to buy even more. Not cool. Not cool at all. Please don't go through with this.

Hammertime

Terrible idea is terrible.

Gadgetmike

Bad idea...in no way does this make ANYTHING easier, not one bit, just restircts us.

Arkardian

Agree, this will make the amount of player in the game reduced even further...

You want ideas that increase fanbase interest, not deter them from playing due to price rises.

You should be thinking more ideas alongside weekly tournaments, or possible free pack events.

I cannot see how this will help the Game's Economy, but I can see how this company will benefit from those buying the new sets...

All in all, it's an idea that may mess up in their faces at the same time...

Edited by Prof_Emerald

whatever4444

I'm here to make myself part of the pool of ppl who are totally devastated about this news.

I'm leaving PTCGO due to this news.

it's been cool to live again a little of a game which meant a lot to me during my childhood and early teenage, and it was cool to have this as a spare time game at computer HOWEVER i can't afford to buy more and more codes. I was saving codes for plasma storm and this decision to make our credits worthless to plasma store will cost at least one dedicated player who organized lots of tournaments with ppl online.

good luck to those who stay, it's been good playing with you

sincerely,

whatever 4444 AKA agua1111

Matt4045

If this goes through i'll just be waiting for the new set to release, then trading all my valuable cards for new packs. Frankly opening packs is the most fun part of this game, after opening them i will not play the game again.

Showsni
I'm here to make myself part of the pool of ppl who are totally devastated about this news.

I'm leaving PTCGO due to this news.

it's been cool to live again a little of a game which meant a lot to me during my childhood and early teenage, and it was cool to have this as a spare time game at computer HOWEVER i can't afford to buy more and more codes. I was saving codes for plasma storm and this decision to make our credits worthless to plasma store will cost at least one dedicated player who organized lots of tournaments with ppl online.

good luck to those who stay, it's been good playing with you

sincerely,

whatever 4444 AKA agua1111

WIll you finish your BCR prerelease tourny before leaving? I still haven't been able to contact my opponent.

whatever4444
WIll you finish your BCR prerelease tourny before leaving? I still haven't been able to contact my opponent.

hey showsni, please check the tournament topic i will send your prizes soon

Ranis555

I'm no longer playing if this actually happens. Leave it to Nintendo to fix what isn't broken and grab for more money while making their avid userbase more frustrated with them. Final nail in the coffin for the userbase of this game.

GR0

Fortunately, I'm pretty much only interested in theme deck duels, so this doesn't bother me... personally.

An emphasis on the "personally"-part, though, as it does bother me whenever companies try and rip their customers off by taking away functionality of bought stuff.

It's also quite laughable (and very annoying) they defend their actions by going all "This is good for the customer! We do it for you! Really!". No it is not. Not at all. But I'm not going to go deeper into this, as I'm 100% certain the Profs are well aware of that, they just don't show it as no company outright says "We do it because we want more money", unfortunately.

TBurrows9730

Prof_Mathis, Prof_Warhog:

Any thoughts on alternatives?

My main issue with this right now is the lost value of my shop credits. If I had know that at some point in time it would be like for like I would have handle my use of shop credit differently. Could we consider like for like from now on, AND a different rate for PS packs purchased from the store?

Something like these:

Plasma Storms are 2 shop credits during "active" time of the set. Then one after the next set.

or

Plasma Storms are 2, the next set is 3, the next set is 4?

or

Unlimited 1, Modified 2, Current 3.

or

Like of like gets 1 pack, Store Credits get a different rate of mutiple store credits per pack with the current set at the highest rate?

or

Store Credit cannot buy the current set of the first week?

This would have the effect of reducing the value of the older code cards and yet not wipe out the store credits of current users.

I am looking at some way to not totally lose the value of my shop credits. I will also hold off judgement of the new system until Mar 1st to see how things go on the next set release. These changes would seem to be easy to make, and act as a form of compromise as we transistion from the current system to a like for like system.

One players thoughts.

Edited by TBurrows9730

gravybeast
Prof_Mathis, Prof_Warhog:

Any thoughts on alternatives?

My main issue with this right now is the lost value of my shop credits. If I had know that at some point in time it would be like for like I would have handle my use of shop credit differently. Could we consider like for like from now on, AND a different rate for PS packs purchased from the store?

Something like these:

Plasma Storms are 2 shop credits during "active" time of the set. Then one after the next set.

or

Plasma Storms are 2, the next set is 3, the next set is 4?

or

Unlimited 1, Modified 2, Current 3.

or

Like of like gets 1 pack, Store Credits get a different rate of mutiple store credits per pack with the current set at the highest rate?

or

Store Credit cannot buy the current set of the first week?

This would have the effect of reducing the value of the older code cards and yet not wipe out the store credits of current users.

I am looking at some way to not totally lose the value of my shop credits. I will also hold off judgement of the new system until Mar 1st to see how things go on the next set release. These changes would seem to be easy to make, and act as a form of compromise as we transistion from the current system to a like for like system.

One players thoughts.

Kinda tough to use those shop credits when you already have everything right? I'm in the same boat but with 1,200 codes sitting in a box, most of which came from helping players at league who would never play online get cards they need for irl decks. Don't punish us TCGO.

CaterpiesAreOP

I feel bad for everyone who has had codes stockpiled. I don't like this decision, the freedom to choose what packs you please with credits has always been a great move by TCPI. I think a positive alternative would be to enable us to pick whatever packs we please with credits everytime a new set is released. If it's only for 3 days or a week, I think most people would be okay with that as we fully transition into the new shop change.

This way we can use credits throughout the year and slowly phase it out, rather than having to buy xX amount of an old set before Plasma Storm is released. I do realize this may be a lot more work for the dev team, but this game has come too far to lose out on it's fan base. I'm sure TPCI does not want to lose players, if the players aren't happy they will leave and put time and money elsewhere. Please consider this idea. Thanks.