My Rogue #1: Cresselia EX/Serperior

imobvmafia

HI people, i'm imobvmafia and today I'm sharing with you all a rogue deck I've been having a lot fo fun with recently: Cresserp!

Before I go into explaining it, here's my list:

Pokemon (16)

4-2-4 Serperior BLW

2 Cresselia EX

2 Mewtwo EX

2 Sigilyph DRE

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (33)

4 N

4 Bianca

2 Juniper

3 Random Receiver

1 Skyarrow Bridge

1 Computer Search

3 LevelpBall

3 UltrapBall

4 Pokemon Catcher

4 Rare Candy

2 Super Rod

2 Eviolite

Energy (11)

4 Double Colourless

4 Blend GRPD

3 Psychic

The concept behind the deck is healing: Serperior's ability Royal Heal heals 10 damage form every pokemon between turns: that's 20 total by the time your next turn arrives. Cresselia's Ability, Sparking Particles, also heals 10 damage from Cresselia between turns. Your goal with the deck is to have Cresselia up with at least two serperior's on the bench, preferably 3, so that it heals 60-80 inbetween turns. And with Cresselia's attack Psychic Protection removing it's weakness, there's nothing super effective at stopping it.

To put that into perspective, imagine Darkrai EX only doing 30 damage a turn, with no bench damage. Since Royal Heal heals all pokemon, sniping pokemon on the bench simply does not work, and with an Eviolite on an active Cresselia, very few attacks in the game can deal with it.

The reason I run 2 Mewtwo alongside these (asides from Mewtwo being the best DCE Attacker in the game) is because this deck really can't do much early on. Before it sets up serperiors, it doesn't really have anything going for it; This is never more apparant than when your opponent starts with a Mewtwo/DCE: since Cress is weak to Psychic before it can attack (which at 4 energy is quite a while), Mewtwo's primary purpose is so that I have an early game attack at all, as well as deterring enemy Mewtwos. It's kinda like NXD all over again.

As for two Sigilyph, recall earlier when I said there were very few pokemon that can actually outright knock out Creselia? Well, not including "flip until you get tails" and "Flip for each energy" cards like Chansey DEX and Darmanitan NXD (DarMAXitan), every pokemon that can knock out Cresselia is an EX (Rayquaza EX, 8 Energy Keldeo EX (it happens), Kyurem-White EX with Cristl Edge ACE-SPEC), which means it can't knock out Sigilyph thanks to it's Safeguard ability. It also acts as an anti-Mewtwo wall early on and is searchable by LevelpBall.

The trainer lineup is focused: There's not much room for techs when you're using Stage 2s. I run N and Bianca as my 2 main supporters because N is incredible (moreso in a slow deck like this, because it can double up as disruption) and Bianca synergises well with cards like UltrapBall, Computer Search and Rare Candy, all of which drops multiple cards from your hand. I run two Junipers because although they can be painful to have alone with Rare Candies, Cheren just doesn't let me see enough cards to pull out Serperiors with any sort of speed. Three Random Receivers because they increase my odds of having N/Bianca as a supporter when I need them.

LevelpBall and UltrapBall provide the much needed search power. Level gets Snivy (and occasionally Servine if I'm not drawing much) as well as Sigilyph for the emergency Turn 1 Mewtwo. Ultra fetches Serperior or either of my main attackers. Computer Search is the god card, since at best it's a free Serperior and at worst it fetches a Bianca to replace the cards it discarded. Rare Candy is Rare Candy, anyone whose ever played a Stage 2 deck knows why that's there, and 2 Super Rod is because it relieves a lot of the pressure of having to discard Serperiors early on for UltrapBall, Juniper or Computer Search.

Running 4 Catcher was something I was hesitant on at first. I was very tempted to drop one for a 4th Random Receiver, or a 4th UltrapBall. The reason you need to run all 4 is that late in the game, you run out of cards very quickly. Once you're fully set up, I very rarely have more than 12 cards left in deck, meaning that you had to take prizes quickly. That's why Catcher has to be run at 4: You'll probably use one to stall for time early, and a second in a discard. If one is prized, that's 2 prizes you won't get from a benched EX. 4 Catchers have to be run.

I run a Single Skyarrow Bridge: This is mostly for when I lead Cresselia and really don't want it stuck there that early. With a 4 energy attack, I can't afford to waste energy retreating where I don't have to, same logic extending to Snivy and Sigilyph.

The energy is fairly obvious: 4 DCE for all the attackers outside of Serperior, 4 blend nrg to give Serperior a change to Leaf Tornado should it need to and 3 Psychics to take the energy count to 11. I run Psychics over Prisms despite them doing the same job because Enhanced Hammer already makes my life Miserable and I don't want to get completely destroyed by a Sableye Junk Hunting for an Enhanced Hammer every turn.

Well, thank you if you actually read all that, since big walls of texts can be daunting if there's no Star Wars music behind them. I would have prettified it a bit, but we're not allowed pictures at the moment :( and let me know if you have tried the deck/faced it somewhere and have any constructive feedback. Smell ya later!

~imobvmafia

I can recommend Darkrai EX in here for some free retreat.. also doubles as a decent attacker. I ran 2 in my Serperior build.

I don't really know how I'd fit Darkrai in, and with only 4 Blend nrg I doubt I'd ever pull off a Night Spear. I reckon Darkrai/Serperior is a different deck to itself, however the obvious flaw would be that Darkrai is easier to OHKO than Cress once you're set up.

I've been using Serperior decks lately. I'm planning on using one at Cities on Friday, so I've been thinking of ways to change it around as well. I like this idea, but I think that if you don't get your Serperiors set up, or at least enough of them, Cresselia's hard to get energy onto, and becomes a risk. Not only is it an EX, but it needs 4 energys to attack, and if there's a Mewtwo in play, first one to a catcher wins. I personally don't like to have more than 1 or 2 EX's, in a Stage 2 deck myself

Oh I remember this deck, I played vs it on the day that DCR came out. I was having fun with my 4x Landy Ex's until I encountered this deck lol, though I did win the match somehow. Anyway, Serp is not enough to counter Keldeo/Blastoise I'm afraid. It'll simply 1hko any Cres even if its set up, not to mention that Keldeo decks also run Mewtwo Ex so if you were thinking of sweeping that energized Keldeo, be prepared to lose another 2 prizes the turn after you kill off Keldeo with your Mewtwo.

lol I faced this deck [with Giratina EX and Cresselia EX in it] with me new minted Dusknoir Spread deck lol, he never set up Serperior however due to a powerful Landorus and Dusknoir start and when I set up Kyurem, I used Pokemon Catcher on a benched Giratina and Glaciated a few times for the win.

I've been using Serperior decks lately. I'm planning on using one at Cities on Friday, so I've been thinking of ways to change it around as well. I like this idea, but I think that if you don't get your Serperiors set up, or at least enough of them, Cresselia's hard to get energy onto, and becomes a risk. Not only is it an EX, but it needs 4 energys to attack, and if there's a Mewtwo in play, first one to a catcher wins. I personally don't like to have more than 1 or 2 EX's, in a Stage 2 deck myself

Mewtwo was always on my mind as the biggest threat for the deck, hence the double sigilyph and the mew2s of my own. Cresselia really comes into it's own late-game, and if they push mew2 before you start using Psychic Protection you have your own mew2s to retaliate with. You could drop the cresses, but I don't feel there's an adequate replacement attacker. Maybe Darkrais and switch around the energy to 3 dark nrg?

lol I faced this deck [with Giratina EX and Cresselia EX in it] with me new minted Dusknoir Spread deck lol, he never set up Serperior however due to a powerful Landorus and Dusknoir start and when I set up Kyurem, I used Pokemon Catcher on a benched Giratina and Glaciated a few times for the win.

Giratina? That thing is a liability in this kind of deck. Anything that gets easily one-shotted is good to avoid. If he did set up a Serperior, though, you wouldn't have had a chance with a spread deck.

That was me! LOL

Yeah, I never got a good chance to get the Serperior up in time... . I've got Skylas, Random Receievers, Pokemon Communication and Computer Search to help in getting cards like Hard Candy and Stage 2 Evolves, but I was having absolutely no luck with supporters in that game, which are essential for the setup to survive.

I also have Reuniclus ability in there for spreading out potential damage. The Giratina EX (which I really shouldn't have played when I did) is in there for 2 reasons: taking on moved damage for healing, and, when finally built up, dealing decent damage (which would have worked good against your Kyurem's and Dusknoirs).

I'm finding I have too much going on in that deck... it's been tricky to edit.

That was me! LOL

Yeah, I never got a good chance to get the Serperior up in time... . I've got Skylas, Random Receievers, Pokemon Communication and Computer Search to help in getting cards like Hard Candy and Stage 2 Evolves, but I was having absolutely no luck with supporters in that game, which are essential for the setup to survive.

I also have Reuniclus ability in there for spreading out potential damage. The Giratina EX (which I really shouldn't have played when I did) is in there for 2 reasons: taking on moved damage for healing, and, when finally built up, dealing decent damage (which would have worked good against your Kyurem's and Dusknoirs).

I'm finding I have too much going on in that deck... it's been tricky to edit.

Being a Stage 2 with only 90 HP and a 30HP basic that loves getting donked, Reuniclus isn't worth running. I wrote a bit about how there was really no room fo techs, because if you really want to make the most of serperior you need 3 of them. Two Serperior is all it takes for Kyurem to be completely dead weight (bar maybe an outrage is you're not very good at damage regulating), which would in turn leave Dusknoir dead weight with no damage to move. But yeah, Giratina is a horrible EX and there's no reason anyone should run it ever.

Reuniclus is a deck by itself, but for the above reason of the HPs are sucky I never touched the thing. It's only got 10 more HP than base set Alakazam, and back then 60 damage for an attack was considered really strong. If you really want to run Reuniclus, use it with Gothitelle EPO so it doesn't just get catchered.

Also, Pokemon Communication is not a card I like. Yes, it gets you the pokemon you need, but you have to have a pokemo to put back, and it can't just be a throwaway guy (emolga) since you'll just dead draw it when you get Nd for 2.

And if you're having trouble with Supporters, try and fit a few more in.

Being a Stage 2 with only 90 HP and a 30HP basic that loves getting donked, Reuniclus isn't worth running. I wrote a bit about how there was really no room fo techs, because if you really want to make the most of serperior you need 3 of them. Two Serperior is all it takes for Kyurem to be completely dead weight (bar maybe an outrage is you're not very good at damage regulating), which would in turn leave Dusknoir dead weight with no damage to move. But yeah, Giratina is a horrible EX and there's no reason anyone should run it ever.

Reuniclus is a deck by itself, but for the above reason of the HPs are sucky I never touched the thing. It's only got 10 more HP than base set Alakazam, and back then 60 damage for an attack was considered really strong. If you really want to run Reuniclus, use it with Gothitelle EPO so it doesn't just get catchered.

Also, Pokemon Communication is not a card I like. Yes, it gets you the pokemon you need, but you have to have a pokemo to put back, and it can't just be a throwaway guy (emolga) since you'll just dead draw it when you get Nd for 2.

And if you're having trouble with Supporters, try and fit a few more in.

True, Reuniclus is horrible hp -wise. The trick with him is to not play him early on, especially if bench hitters like darkrai and basic Kyurem are out there. That said, I find him fun to use for my deck setup, and if I had that deck set up right in my match with Matt, it woulda been a heck of an interesting and fun match with damage flying all over the place!

Sure, tech-decks are not the best decks, but saying there's no room for them is ridiculous. You play what you wanna play... pure and simple. It's just a shame that everyone feels that they "must" play the meta-deck to think they'll have fun with this game.

Pokemon Comm also isn't a big favorite of mine. I agree for the reasons you state, but I feel it works with this deck. I have a decent number of supporters with this deck... I just had a lotta bad draws early on. 'Nuff said. :)

Sure, tech-decks are not the best decks, but saying there's no room for them is ridiculous.

You posted this in a Serperior/Cresselia deck thread?

I wrote a bit about how there was really no room fo techs, because if you really want to make the most of serperior you need 3 of them.

In response to this? Yeah.

I mean, you said it, right?

In response to this? Yeah.

I mean, you said it, right?

...point well made. I blame posting after realising I had to leave for work. I know I said about needing 3 Serperiors, though.

Consider it said now, then. Given the heavy searching and the aspect of damage healing that it's used for, The list I posted really doesn't have much room for tech. This applies to Stage 2 decks that require more than 1 Stage 2 at a time (Outside of Empoleon, since it has built in draw power which leaves you room to cut some of the searching/supporters and only needs 7/8 energy in the whole deck).

By all means, go for tech if you have the room but don't throw away consistency for it.

:)

Your points are definitely all good and true.

Right now, I'm curious to see what effect Ditto will have in the game, once his glitch is all fixed up. I didn't see his potential at first, but he could turn into a real Stage 2 advantage for tech decks.

:)

Your points are definitely all good and true.

Right now, I'm curious to see what effect Ditto will have in the game, once his glitch is all fixed up. I didn't see his potential at first, but he could turn into a real Stage 2 advantage for tech decks.

Yeah, Ditto is an odd one. No metter how I look at it, I can't see the use for it. It's main appeal is to give low hp basics a bit of a boost, and for candying into stage 2s straight from the basic. If you're running stage 2s, you generally don't have room to spare (and what is spare is given to super rods and consistency) and extra basics won't help outside of possibly Empoleon.

If you have any insight to how it'd be useful, by all means share.

Yeah, Ditto is an odd one. No metter how I look at it, I can't see the use for it. It's main appeal is to give low hp basics a bit of a boost, and for candying into stage 2s straight from the basic. If you're running stage 2s, you generally don't have room to spare (and what is spare is given to super rods and consistency) and extra basics won't help outside of possibly Empoleon.

If you have any insight to how it'd be useful, by all means share.

Surprise Dusknoir or Gardevoir out of nowhere could be pretty huge, but that's three cards required in hand... When they fix the glitch, I might try squeezing two into some decks just to see how it plays. Maybe it'll turn out really useful, maybe not. It's hard to tell from pure theorymon.

• 4 weeks later...

i have just skimmed this, and i have noticed you are completely oblivious to garbadors ability. (i should know cos i created a deck with it to counter keldeo and blastoise deck lol)

some i assume you add some: tool scrappers in your deck although really catchers will do the ***,( arrgh! a pain on my backside), just the one will do, and skyla should be considered in decks where trainers like candies etc are important.

i have just skimmed this, and i have noticed you are completely oblivious to garbadors ability. (i should know cos i created a deck with it to counter keldeo and blastoise deck lol)

some i assume you add some: tool scrappers in your deck although really catchers will do the ***,( arrgh! a pain on my backside), just the one will do, and skyla should be considered in decks where trainers like candies etc are important.

Oh no, I'm fully aware of garbodor. The reason I don't run tool scrappers for it is that it's quite handily weak to psychic, and all my attackers are indeed psychic. 3 energy mew2/sigilyph/4 nrg cress + catcher = goodbye garbodor.

Also, I tried Skyla at first, but I just found it too slow. Skyla would be fine if I needed just one Rare Candy/Serperior, but usually you're aiming for 3 serperiors at any one time. Running through the deck with draw cards is 100 the way to go.

Archived