Overpowered double pokemon deck combos

Caleb-Oak

This has been ruining the game for me. The two most prominent double poke deck combos I see are stacks of Garchomp and Altaria, or Hydreigon with Darkrai's.

Absolute nonsense...

Altaria increases dragon damage by 20. Stack more than 1 Altaria, the increase is 40 and so on.

Hydreigon allows you to move dark energy whenever you want during your turn. Darkrai makes it all dark pokemon can retreat at no cost. So basically, he keeps switching between is two darkrai each turn stacking his energy on the one he has switched too. -.-

It's not a tactic, it's plain unfair. Oh, Pokemon EX? I'll use the switcher to his only other pokemon card evolution chain (Hydreigon). Nope, hurdur he retreats at no cost than slaps all the energy onto the fresh darkrai he just laid down. It's derpy, not to mention that damage over time effects get erased as soon as a pokemon is retreated to the bench.

No mate... this is tcg...

Since the (very) early days back at base set 50% of the decks were blastoise and no one complained... Every era had it's "obvious" decks ... Dark Dragonite.. Nowadays it's darkrai and mewtwo ex

While I agree with you that most strong decks are 90% the same, there are strong original players round. I was beaten with a darkrai deck these days by two very original days, one with mew ex and an evolved foongus, then the ninetales deck which is rising too...

What i mean is: yes, most decks are more of the same. HOWEVER, only 20-30% of the players are nearly unbeatable with the "obvious" decks. Many players fail often when using them.

I'll give an example: many people bench mewtwo ex and energize them too early, which make m2 ex an easy target...

Darkrai + hydregon ALSO isn't unbeatable, you know why? because it's a a slightly SLOW deck. you need usually 3 turns to attack w darkrai, unless if you're REALLY lucky 2nd.

I'm trying to make a constructive comment with the following point: tcg is just like that, 80% more of the same, but the "truly strong" guys often use different stuff.

I like what you said agua. From what I know the garchomp/altaria decks are actually pretty weak. they didn't even clinch a single 1st place at Battle Roads all around the US. Unless someone just won it recently. if you catcher the altaria and defeat it, which is pretty simple, garchomp is weak. Also, garchomp is a stage 2.

darkrai/hydreigon is beatable by garbodor variants and terrakion. Outspeeding the slow deck and donking will help to beat them. Even hammers will stop them.

Lastly, good luck!

You never played the Gallade/Gardevoir format or the LuxChomp format don't you ?

Actually I think that the format was never so open than now since long time.

I am running a non-based darkrai ex or mewtwo ex, and I have a very good matchup against + not bad perfs against the rest...

Nope ; ( a rogue secret deck. Only works with suprise effect, only works if people don't tech against the deck. But still in a tournament where no body knows your deck, you have chances.

Archived