Budget Deck - Emperor Chompy

Kaytanna

Even though I've purchased quite a few cards, I've found myself mainly just using cards from two of the starter decks(Shadows and DragonSpeed), for a competitive deck that only costs about 22USD.

The deck has has proven to be very tough, and I can even take out top decks like Eels from time to time with it.

I thought I would share it with you guys and open it up to coments and critisism.

You will need to unlock Shadows and the 3 basic decks by playing through trainer challenge in order to posses all the cards for this deck. This is just a skeleton and can obviously be improved with the adition of some cards (I list possible additions below), but its very effective for its cost.

I'll explain the reasoning behind each card in the deck to help beginers understand the strategies.

***Deck - 53 Cards

**Pokemon X18

Garchomp/Gabite/Gible - 2/3/4 (floods the field - strong attacker)

Empoleon/prinplup/piplup - 1/2/3 (Benifits from gabite swarming - draw power)

Marowak/cubone - 1/2 (strong vs. Eels matchup)

Note-I would add about 4 or 5 more PKMN from your collection to the deck to fill out the deck.

**Trainers X17

*Suporters X12

prof. Oak/Cheren/Copycat - 2/3/4 (you NEED this draw power to be consistent)

Cilan/Prof. elm - 1/2 - (good searchers)

*PKMN tools X2

Rescue Scarf X1 (effectivly adds another 1-1-1 line to the deck)

Giant CapeX1 (Especially nice on Marowak because it prevents him from being 1HKO from Zekrom atks)

*Items X6

Ultra Ball/PKMN Comunication - 2/3 - (excelent searchers)

Energy Retrival X1 (comes in handy late game when you might need it)

Note - I would add about 1 or 2 more items to fill out the deck

**Energy x18

Blend/Fighting/Water - 1/6/11

***Strategy

The basic strategy is to set up quickly using the Dragon Call power. Idealy you want to get both garchomps at turn 3 and use their strong attacks to get quick KO's and use their free retreat cost to prevent your oppenent from nabbing their own prizes. Then bring out empoleon with a full bench for a strong finish. Marrowak comes into play as additional attacker and to help counter the popular electric decks, like Eels.

***Great cards to add-

-More cards for the Empoleon, garchomp and Marrowak lines - (Dark explorers and Dragons exalted packs)

-Kyurem from Kyurem Box - A basic with 130HP, weak to metal which is not seen much, and it can hit ALL of your oppenents pkmn for 30!

-Kyurem EX from Kyurem tin - Honestly the EX form is worse with high atk and retreat costs, and the potential to lose two prizes. However this card can make for a strong late game finisher, forcing your oppenent into a 7 prize game.

-Altaria and Swablu (Dragons exalted packs) - Altaria can be searched out with gabite, and makes garchomp much more powerful. However, Altaria is Rare, so it is very unlikely you will pull one.

-N (Dark explorers Packs) - draw power, shuffling your oppenents hand after they searched, reducing your oppenents hand, etc. You can also get more cheren and juniper in the same pack to replace the HS supporters for the BW-ON format.

-More Blend energy (from Dragons exalted packs)

Well thats the deck and my thoughts on it. I would like to see what you guys think of it, and what other cards you would suggest as additions.

I don't mean to be a hater or anything but this deck would not stack up well against a proper eels deck. I think you would need much more empoleons and the good garchomp versus the one in the starter deck. Starter decks don't make the cut for competitive play.

I don't mean to be a hater or anything but this deck would not stack up well against a proper eels deck. I think you would need much more empoleons and the good garchomp versus the one in the starter deck. Starter decks don't make the cut for competitive play.

i agree ,eels will destroy your empoleon and other water types if they knock out your whole water types then youtr gonna eseally be knocked out and lose. a great deck to counter eels is terrakion ex /garbodor .garbodor/terrakion ex is noy my idea,

I'm not saying this deck can win against T1 decks, nor am I nesserally trying to counter Eels, just make a cheap mildly competive deck. the marrowak was placed in for that tough matchup so I wouldn't have to play empoleon and give my oponent a free prize.

The expert bracket is all over in skill level (I would love a middleground between the two options), and I've actually won a decent of my games in the expert bracket.

The deck crushes the novice bracket, I dont see why I would play there either.

I've tweaked my deck quite a little though and I've been performing very well with it. I guess the sort of advice Im looking for is ratios, or what cards Im running that I just simply shouldn't play, I don't have a terribly wide selection of cards to play around with, but if there's something I could do to improve the deck I would love to hear your advice.

Pokes X19

Garchomp(sand Tomb) 3-3-4

Empoleon 1-2-4

Kyurem 1

Kyurem EX 1

Trainers X23

Prof. Oak 2

Cheren 3

Copycat 3

N 1

Elm 1

Cilan 1

Pkmncomm 2

Level Ball 2

Catcher 1

energy retrival 1

Rescue Scarf 2

Giant Cape 2

EXP share 2

EnergyX18

DCE 2

Blend 1

Water 9

Fighting 6

ok i dont even have a expert deck i won like 5 games ina row abd i donked someone with a pawniard 4 heads an ko ed a mareep.. donk means winning on first turn.and i go on expert im nog being mean i thought you were going on expert

I do play in the expert bracket.

I stated that I have no reason playing in the novice bracket when any half-decent deck is miles above basic yellow :P

On the topic of improving the deck-

-I'm opening about 100 packs (lol budget) when the server goes up again. Should I just open all DRX and try for fluffychomp or are there other staple cards I need elsewhere?

I do play in the expert bracket.

I stated that I have no reason playing in the novice bracket when any half-decent deck is miles above basic yellow :P

On the topic of improving the deck-

-I'm opening about 100 packs (lol budget) when the server goes up again. Should I just open all DRX and try for fluffychomp or are there other staple cards I need elsewhere?

you need to make sure you have catchers and possibly switches... i have found that many people may have some top cards from DRX and DEX but without the proper trainer suppor their decks are rendered useless... i would definitely do fluffy chomp over the proposed deck above, as fluffy chomp IS a tier 1 deck and much more consistent than running the empoleon and garchomp (2 stage 2's are harder to set up and what is the point of dragon call if it is to only get your garchomp with no altaria)

I know I can get catchers and Bianca in Emerging powers (and Gothitelle seems like a fun deck), so that would be a good choice?

I would definitally need more copies of N as well, which I could get in DEX or Noble victories.

I'm leaning towards DEX because I could also pull Random reciever or ultraball, and most of the victories staples arn't the best in fluffychomp.

As for switch, I have the ones from the basic decks and I might just stick with those. The retreat costs in fluffychomp are very low anyway.

I should probably hold onto a few packs to trade then. How does that work exactly?

Do you trade the codes, or do you redeem them and trade the packs in-game?

if so are the certain packs I should stock for trading that are higher in demand?

Im sorry if my question seem simple, I'm just pretty new to this game.

Frankly, I prefer simple questions. They get complete awnsers and those help others who are new too.

The trading part of the game is very much new to me(, I remember a bad experiance when Jungle first came out). So I don't know how I should be trading: What is fair, what is acceptable in terms of getting the better end of the deal?

All sorts of questions go trough my mind that I don't know how to find the awnsers to, but I myself never get around to asking them, because I prefer to read than to wait for an awnser to my posting.

In short: I'm allready greatly helped by your questions getting awnsered, so thank you for posting them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually using a kind of similar deck, with Garchomp and Empoleon - I didn't have the theme deck, but I was lucky enough to open 5 Empoleon in booster packs, and 3 of the good Garchomp! I didn't open any Altaria, so this deck is working quite well.

Gabite's Dragon Call is pretty good with Empoleon, since it can easily help fill your bench. A single Gabite can explode over a few turns.

I'm also running the Dragon's Exalted Emolga - it can get both Gabite and Piplup, and fills the bench for Empoleon. It also runs off the same blend energy that powers both the lines.

Finally, I have quite a lot of Rare Candies. Both Piplup and Gible lines go well with the Rare Candies, especially since they have such low energy cost attacks, letting you get a fully powered Empoleon or Garchomp on turn two.

I only have two Pokémon Catchers, so I'm looking to get some more; I also run both Switches that come in Basic Yellow.

For card drawing, I have N, Professor Juniper and Cheren; with Ultra Ball to search. I'd like Level Ball really to get Gabite, but I don't have any. If anything, I seem to have too much card draw - with Empoleon digging two cards a turn, and Garchomp discarding two cards when it attacks, I often seem to be in danger of drawing through my whole deck!

Three problems. First, you only have one Empoleon, meaning if it's prized or gets KO'd/discarded then your entire Piplup line is worthless, and even when you get it out then the other three are still worthless except as bench fodder for Attack Command. Unless you can get a couple more, I would seriously recommend taking it out entirely.

Second, you have way too much energy, especially considering both Garchomp and Empoleon can attack with just one energy. Replacing some of the energy with more search trainers would give your deck more consistency.

Finally, any deck relying on Stage 2s should run at least a couple of Rare Candies (unless you don't have any).

Archived