are only new cards available

Frijolero_92

i had a question about what cards we could use when the deck builder came out.

i was hoping we could use originals

examples:

base set

jungle

fossil

team rocket

gym

neo

Those old sets aren't legal anymore. I think expansions that are legal now are HeartGold SoulSilver and everything after it.

yeah but as far as real life organized play, the tourney will use these sets for the remainder of the 2011 season.

Majestic Dawn

Legends Awakened

Stormfront

Platinum

Rising Rivals

Supreme Victors

Arceus

Heart & Soul to current releases

aww so no originals D:

oh well

thanks any ways

oh does anybody know the specifics of why no old cards???

i thought it was because jacks pacific no longer does pokemon cards

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rotation_(TCG)

I personally would love to have the old cards around too. I've wanted to build an arceaus only deck. I think down the road they want to have tournenments online, so that's why they are running with the current rotation. (Or rather the future rotation, the current one will still be around for the planned tournements.)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rotation_(TCG)

I personally would love to have the old cards around too. I've wanted to build an arceaus only deck. I think down the road they want to have tournenments online, so that's why they are running with the current rotation. (Or rather the future rotation, the current one will still be around for the planned tournements.)

It used to be Wizards of the Coast that distributed the old cards. Anyway, I think that it is because the older cards have a slightly different format than the newer cards. The newer cards are more powerful (have more HP and attack power) and there are several types of cards that later expansions intruduced (such as EX) that really make the older cards incompatible. Also they needed to keep the database of cards limited. They didn't want too many cards to be allowable.

Actually, it's from HeartGold and SoulSilver ONWARD. We had a mid-season rotation this year. And this affects the World Championships. Black and White rules are in effect too.

TCGO and the Trainer Challenge are using the HS-On Modified Format with Black and White rules, so yeah...

An Unlimited format option would be nice, although I'd understand if they had to limit the sets the could offer, due to copywrite issues with WotC.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the copyright issues apply to EX cards? I don't think so myself, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I have found codes on the bottom left hand corner of every EX card, but duplicates have the same code. Is it possible to apply those codes to the TCG online "Shop" code redemption? Please Reply, anyone.

No the codes aren't on the cards. The codes are on cards of their own in specially marked Black and White Booster packs. (And in the Black and White Theme Decks, but they don't grant beta access at the moment.)

WotC are particularly harsh where it comes to copyright, it might be a tough sell. I think if they were really motivated to do it they could work a plan out.

Archived