Foul Play

Emolga11797

The move Foul Play to me is confusing to me and my siblings. When I use it there is great debate. Here is the scenario. My opponent has Zekrom EX and one of its moves is Strong Volt. This move does 150 damage and I use Foul Play to use the move against my opponent. My siblings argue I must follow the guidelines under the move Strong Volt of discarding two energy cards on Zoroark. They also argue that I have to have the same amount of energy Zekrom needs to use this attack. Foul Play only requires 2 basic energy cards. Strong Volt requires 2 electric and 2 basic. Do I need 4 energy cards as well? Do I have to follow the guidelines.

No you need just the 2 (any) energys to use FP and using Zekrom EX's Strong Volt you have to the discard any energy you have attached because it says 'discard 2 energy cards' instead in cards when you have to discard specific energys like in Reshiram Bw's Blue Flare 'discard 2 fire energy' You'll discard the energy only if they are fire(or prism/rainbow)

You'll indeed need to discard 2 energy. But you don't need to have the required amount of energy attached: no energy costs are paid when copying an attack, unless specifically stated (like Mew prime does). I of course mean the initial cost, not anything afterwards like discarding energy, which you only have to do if you actually can do it (like Tornadus explains with Blue Flare).

Archived