Sign in to follow this  
TPCi_Mathis

April Community Update discussion thread

deadhead1

Thanks for the update.

DialgaChampion

Well, since Multiplayer will be offline until the end of August or September, I would sincerely hope that the new version that is developed is much better than the current one. In other words, remove as many of the major bugs as possible, create new graphical animations (so that Solarbeam doesn't look like Leaf Storm), and possibly, to make it a real MMO, add in an option for players to purchase online Booster Credits and Theme Decks with PayPal or Credit Cards. I know that TPCI is trying to steer away from young kids making online purchases with their parents' credit cards, but in order for Pokémon TCG Online to become a true Massive Multiplayer Online Game, there has to be the convenience of being able to expand your online card collection, without actually going to Toys 'R Us or Walmart to buy real packs.

I still yearn for the day when I will be able to wear something akin to a "Duel Gazer" over my eye, and then see the Pokémon cards I play appear in front of me, in real life...

Litwickfan11

I still yearn for the day when I will be able to wear something akin to a "Duel Gazer" over my eye, and then see the Pokémon cards I play appear in front of me, in real life...

Awesome Idea, and most likely will hapen soon Lol...

Well, I agree with everybody, and I really hope there's an easier way to get packs, not all of us can affored 5 Million Packs right now...

Pookaveli

I could not be more thrilled with this news. PTCGO is a great tool for the game, and I hope it's done correctly this time around. Right now the Multiplayer is broken beyond belief, and it doesn't even represent how the game is played in a lot of aspects. I'm looking forward to the new version!

If I could suggest one thing, though, it would be a spectator mode. I would love to be able to stream live matches between players for others to see. Being able to watch two people play would be amazing!

Ration

I could not be more thrilled with this news. PTCGO is a great tool for the game, and I hope it's done correctly this time around. Right now the Multiplayer is broken beyond belief, and it doesn't even represent how the game is played in a lot of aspects. I'm looking forward to the new version!

If I could suggest one thing, though, it would be a spectator mode. I would love to be able to stream live matches between players for others to see. Being able to watch two people play would be amazing!

Wow thats agreat idea Pookaveli !!

+1

Roserade90

I appreciate the response and I am really excited to potentially get a much better playing experience in the fall. However, nothing was said to address my question, and the question of many other posts here, which has to do with providing some type of compensation for all of the codes we have bought which have been totally wasted. Think about how much the value of certain cards change every time a new set is released. In some cases, the old cards get rotated out of modified, in others, the appearance of new cards changes the meta so that previously valuable cards are now worthless. The fact that I can keep an HGSS card in my "collection" is completely unimportant to me. I am really only interested in being able to playtest current decks against the current meta. I really hope that Pokemon does not fail to consider how mistreated many players feel due to this entire botched software rollout. Currently, I feel like I poured a few hundred dollars down the drain for absolutely nothing.

Missigno255

If Unlimited matches are going to be a thing, does that mean we could see some older sets come around? Not only would it be fun to play some of the older deck archetypes against newer ones, I don't think I would be able to help myself from building PoryDonk. Its just a fun deck, and I'm not even mad when I lose to it. Its just hialrious to see an entire field be wiped out withou (in my build) bealing any damage.

Charranitar

If Unlimited matches are going to be a thing, does that mean we could see some older sets come around? Not only would it be fun to play some of the older deck archetypes against newer ones, I don't think I would be able to help myself from building PoryDonk. Its just a fun deck, and I'm not even mad when I lose to it. Its just hialrious to see an entire field be wiped out withou (in my build) bealing any damage.

This needs to be done. Create a legacy format for the game. Whenever you win a ranked multiplayer game, you get a legacy booster credit. Start with base set (giving everyone the Starter / Theme Decks) and go from there. Release Jungle 3 months later....so on.

DialgaChampion

I've got some more questions for Prof. Mathis regarding the new version:

• What will happen with this new "DRAGON TYPE" that is being introduced starting August 15th? What type(s) will be weak and resistant to it? Will older Dragon-type Pokémon cards be revamped with this new Dragon energy type, for their attacks, weaknesses and resistances?
  • Will you be able to reduce the Multiplayer Turn Timer to 5 minutes, instead of 25 minutes? Waiting 25 minutes for someone to make a move during a turn is very ... frustrating ... to say the very least.
  • Will you be able to add in a feature to discourage people from intentionally disconnecting or forfeiting a match?

KooperKoushiro

This is something that happens in the physical card game as well. Rotation happens, and cards from sets that were rotated lose value if their only claim to value was playability in the modified format. (Some cards like Lugia ex have maintained a good deal of value.)

You don't see TPCi reimbursing people who send in their older cards, do you? I see no reason why the online version would do any different. If the outdated online cards were completely unusable in the game at all, then I would understand. From the sound of it, we'll be able to play with the rotated cards just as we can in real life. But...

If you only care about keeping pace with the modified format, then your best bet is to sell off/trade all your HGSS block cards, from whatever sets you think will be rotated. (We won't know for sure until after Worlds in August, of course.) As rotation draws nearer more people will become aware and have the same idea, so it's a question of how long do you keep them and play with them vs. how soon do you try to get rid of them while they still have some demand. (There's also the issue of only being able to trade for currently released boosters, as opposed to being able to sell off those cards and get credits toward the future Dark Explorers/Dragon sets, but that's another matter altogether.) Again, the same thing happens with people's real cards. I'm sure late this summer people not going to Worlds will be trading away their Celebi Primes while they're still worth something.

...Lest we get off topic, I also would like to see a sort of legacy format as outlined above. I came in at Fossil and never got to see the Base-Jungle format, so that would be interesting to me.

@DialgaChampion: Assuming the online card game matches the physical one:

- The new Dragon types are super effective to other new Dragons. Nothing else is weak to them and nothing resists them.

- They will continue to use multiple types of energy for their attacks, as they have done since 2003. (Look at Rayquaza CoL for example) There is no basic Dragon Energy, but there are Blend Energies (essentially half-Rainbow) that help with the multiple type cost.

- There's never been a precedent for retroactively changing a card's type or weaknesses. Even some erroneous things like and <a href="http://www.serebii.net/card/popseries1/10.jpg]this Torkoal are play-as-printed.

A chess-like timer that resets when you make a move would indeed be a good idea, at least on random matchups. Less needed against friends who you are probably talking with at the same time.

-Kooper, remembering when expansions were ~65 cards...and all the rares were available in holo and nonholo which added to that, so more like 50ish different cards.

manmanorad

Good thing i like Unlimited format than Mordified =).

Cecil090

I can understand taking down the Multiplayer for awhile to work exclusivley on the game, but I don't understand why Dark Explorers needs to be delayed like this.

Why not just close down Multiplayer and then release Dark Explorers, just have them be a place holder in our collections until we get the new V2?

At least then it would give people something to do while they wait for Multiplayer to come back, collect the new set, trade for cards they need, and build decks to prepare for the new Game Engine.

Delaying a set just doesn't seem like a proper thing to do, but I'm probably saying this for nothing since I doubt they actually have Dark Explorers prepared at all for the online shop.

CoryGoff

I still think they should have waited until the end of the season and card rotation. Many of us take our break from pokemon during that time period anyway. Now i can't practice for Nationals.

evilmike218

What happen to all the awards pokemon was giving away in the begining and for xmas? was it only going to be a one time thing or are there good things to come? I am not talking about event pokemon give aways, I am asking about rewards as far as, play time, wins, doorprizes(I guess) , for wacthing a bunch ot the pokemon tv channel, stuff like that, for people who live in the beta so to speak.

Adrasteah

I appreciate the update and information.

I am sure that there are plenty of challenges at the moment and it isn't possible to change any of the decisions at this point in the games. I would like to let you know that the online site here has been getting a fair amount of use for people to test tournament deck ideas with. I have done it personally over this past year as have several other players. Within the tournament season, it would have been much more ideal to go dark like this right after Nationals rather than just before. Effectively, we can't really use this system to prepare for the biggest part of the tournament season.

Finally, in regards to Unity, if it is the one that requires the addon to be installed, it does not work with parental controls, specifically the Windows Live ones. That is going to cause a fair amount of grief. My son had to accept he couldn't do the LEGO Hero Factory stuff for this reason. Please verify whatever you choose works with parental controls.

Thank you

Litwickfan11

Here is my Question/Complaint/Whatever:

So basically we aren't able to redeem DEX codes at the moment, which I understand the logic behind us, but my Question is when exactally is the new game going to be out? Not any of that Mid to LAte Summer stuff, We need an estimated Exact Date, because of this really is Troubling. If this comes out after August Fifthneenth, We will have Two Decks that will be released at the same time. DEX and the Dragon-Type Decks that comes out aroung August 15nth. THis deeply lowers the Trading Value of both sets on here, and it's a pain because DEX will be barely used online and a few months older. So, my Question.

When exactally is V.2.0 going to be realesed, and are we going to be able to get a way to get free DEX Packs?

For the LAtter part of the Question, I was asking as it would be overk*ll for use to be scrambling around trying to sort out the TRading Chaos of DEX and DB/DR sets. So, hopefully this is answered, as this is an important issue

manmanorad

So basically we aren't able to redeem DEX codes at the moment, which I understand the logic behind us, but my Question is when exactally is the new game going to be out? Not any of that Mid to LAte Summer stuff, We need an estimated Exact Date, because of this really is Troubling. If this comes out after August Fifthneenth, We will have Two Decks that will be released at the same time. DEX and the Dragon-Type Decks that comes out aroung August 15nth. THis deeply lowers the Trading Value of both sets on here, and it's a pain because DEX will be barely used online and a few months older. So, my Question.

When exactally is V.2.0 going to be realesed, and are we going to be able to get a way to get free DEX Packs?

For the LAtter part of the Question, I was asking as it would be overk*ll for use to be scrambling around trying to sort out the TRading Chaos of DEX and DB/DR sets. So, hopefully this is answered, as this is an important issue

Huh? I believe they said we can redeem the DEX codes, but just not the DEX pack.

Yeah... I have a same wonder about 2 sets as well. By the time we could buy DEX set, strategy might change dramatically already.

Litwickfan11

Huh? I believe they said we can redeem the DEX codes, but just not the DEX pack.

Yeah... I have a same wonder about 2 sets as well. By the time we could buy DEX set, strategy might change dramatically already.

Well, you know what I meant, I meant the packs themselves, but Still, with Two NEw Sets out at the Same time really causes confussion, and the strageties will already be different, so Most of the DEX strageties wouldn't be used beacuse of Semi-Rainbows and Rayquaze-EX

Sprite0

Fantastic news that somthing of this mythical V2 will be seen soon.

I look forward to it

Roserade90

This is something that happens in the physical card game as well. Rotation happens, and cards from sets that were rotated lose value if their only claim to value was playability in the modified format. (Some cards like Lugia ex have maintained a good deal of value.)

You don't see TPCi reimbursing people who send in their older cards, do you? I see no reason why the online version would do any different. If the outdated online cards were completely unusable in the game at all, then I would understand. From the sound of it, we'll be able to play with the rotated cards just as we can in real life. But...

If you only care about keeping pace with the modified format, then your best bet is to sell off/trade all your HGSS block cards, from whatever sets you think will be rotated. (We won't know for sure until after Worlds in August, of course.) As rotation draws nearer more people will become aware and have the same idea, so it's a question of how long do you keep them and play with them vs. how soon do you try to get rid of them while they still have some demand. (There's also the issue of only being able to trade for currently released boosters, as opposed to being able to sell off those cards and get credits toward the future Dark Explorers/Dragon sets, but that's another matter altogether.) Again, the same thing happens with people's real cards. I'm sure late this summer people not going to Worlds will be trading away their Celebi Primes while they're still worth something.

...Lest we get off topic, I also would like to see a sort of legacy format as outlined above. I came in at Fossil and never got to see the Base-Jungle format, so that would be interesting to me.

@DialgaChampion: Assuming the online card game matches the physical one:

- The new Dragon types are super effective to other new Dragons. Nothing else is weak to them and nothing resists them.

- They will continue to use multiple types of energy for their attacks, as they have done since 2003. (Look at Rayquaza CoL for example) There is no basic Dragon Energy, but there are Blend Energies (essentially half-Rainbow) that help with the multiple type cost.

- There's never been a precedent for retroactively changing a card's type or weaknesses. Even some erroneous things like and <a href="http://www.serebii.net/card/popseries1/10.jpg]this Torkoal are play-as-printed.

A chess-like timer that resets when you make a move would indeed be a good idea, at least on random matchups. Less needed against friends who you are probably talking with at the same time.

-Kooper, remembering when expansions were ~65 cards...and all the rares were available in holo and nonholo which added to that, so more like 50ish different cards.

I understand that all online cards, like all physical cards, are for the most part a depreciating asset. With my physical card set, I understood at the time that I bought the card sthat the length of time that the cards would maintain value in a modified format was limited. This is different. I am being deprived of something I bought for value with the intent of using it now, and finding out that by the time I will be able to use it again it will no longer be able to be used. Kind of like if someone told me they would sell me a coupon good for something I want to buy, but only after that coupon has expired and is no longer valid. If I had paid for that coupon without the other party disclosing the expiration date, I would feel like I had been misled. This is no different. A good example would be a card like Yanmega, which was highly sought after both online and in real life earlier this year, and can now be purchased online for $2 per card. Last summer it was a good $60-$70 to buy one. If I had purchased Yanmega for $60 in August with the intent of using it for the year, and then found out that I could only begin to use it this May, when it was no longer a playable or valuable card, I would feel like I had been taken advantage of.

ProtoDemn

OK so after reading this thread for a while, I think its about time I give you guys a piece of my mind

First off, as many have said, closing the PvP option is by far the absolute WORST possible move you can make. It will negatively impact both the Pokemon company and this community. Sure, there are people that collect and trade cards. I collect and trade too. But I collect so I have more to trade, and I trade to get cards I need for the decks I come up with. Whats the point of a deck if I can't use it? Are we all supposed to make decks just because they look pretty while PvP is down?

Lets not forget that this harms the company too. Its obvious that the TCGO was made in order to boost sales of booster packs and decks. I can understand that, the goal of every company is to make profit. However, shutting down the PvP option means that the majority of the people here will stop buying packs, because the cards they get via codes online will be useless to them. I myself was eager to buy the Green Tornado deck and some boosters this week until I started reading this thread. Now, I'm very hesitant to buy any Pokemon cards at all. And honestly, that disappoints me. I was looking forward to the nostalgia of having a card collection once again.

And quite frankly, when I hear it said that v2 is coming late summer, what I read is "late summer 2012". What I understand it as is "some undeclared time in 2013" Look, I know its hard to meet your deadlines. People were pissed about SSB Brawl being late, and people are already whining about Kingdom Hearts 3 not being in production yet. Its understandable. This isnt the first game that has been behind its deadlines. But Closing PvP is NOT the right way to get v2 out faster. If you want time to work on v2, ignore messages about bugs and glitches in the current PvP. Shutting it down is the worse option here

Lastly, it is nice seeing an update, like many said, bad news or good. But can you do us a favor and update us more regularly? The last update before this April update was 4 months before it, back in December, and if I remember correctly that wa ssomething about Xmas stuff. We hate being left in the dark here. Like with gems, for example. I saw a post months ago saying that we'll be told what gems are for at a later time. One admin said this about gems: "Stay tuned to the News for when we release them and all the details about what they do and how to get them. Thanks!" Well, 3 months have passed since that post was made. I still have 0 gems and have no idea what their purpose is. Sometimes it makes me think even you guys have no idea what you're making gems for

Overall, for the good of everyone here, keep PvP up and running, and start updating us more. If v2 isnt on time, most of us will understand. We all know there's not enough time in a day

aura_master8

Lastly, it is nice seeing an update, like many said, bad news or good. But can you do us a favor and update us more regularly? The last update before this April update was 4 months before it, back in December, and if I remember correctly that wa ssomething about Xmas stuff. We hate being left in the dark here. Like with gems, for example. I saw a post months ago saying that we'll be told what gems are for at a later time. One admin said this about gems: "Stay tuned to the News for when we release them and all the details about what they do and how to get them. Thanks!" Well, 3 months have passed since that post was made. I still have 0 gems and have no idea what their purpose is. Sometimes it makes me think even you guys have no idea what you're making gems for

It's not that they won't tell us stuff they just can't. Why? I don't know.

PenguinGhost

I use the tcgo to build decks and prepare for tournaments like the upcoming battle roads... It would be really great to have dark explorers packs online sooner than later so i can work on decks.

bobbaluba

will there be a linux version?

neo999955

will there be a linux version?

That is surely no where on their roadmap - or at the absolute bottom at the very best. If you're on Linux - you can probably get some Windows apps running without much diffuculty.

Sign in to follow this