Sign in to follow this  
TPCi_Mathis

April Community Update discussion thread

TBurrows9730

The post says that it will be Unity based so no more Flash. A client may be possible but not right away I assume.

our collections are just numbers in a database so the engine and collections are different issues.

I am going to continue to assume that the powers that control this site want the it to be a success and are not taking down multi-player just for fun so I will wait and see.

heavyarms55

Admins! Listen to this guy! He has by far the best explanation of the mature player's opinions on this, in my opinion, terrible decesion you or your bosses have made.

Wow…

Where to start. First of all, thanks for the update. It’s nice to see that version 2.0 actually exists and is making progress, even if it’s slow. I’m very curious about the new trainer challenge. Will there be more opponents? Will we be able to get more cards than the basic color decks? Will there be anything more substantial than just the bracket grind we have now (something similar to the GBC game with npcs to actually interact with and the ability to make our own decks.) I know we probably won’t be given too many free cards, but it would be nice to at least have access to a decent selection in the many months we’re going to be waiting for PvP.

Speaking of PvP…what!? Why….what!? You’re taking it downs for months? I don’t understand this move at all. Even if you’re completely abandoning trying to fix all the problems, no PvP for months seems like a terrible idea. The answer to all the players who have stuck it out through the bugs and glitches is to….take the game away from them completely? As others have posted, this seems like a devastating move. You are going to lose many players. Some of us still remember that version 2.0 was scheduled to be released early 2012, and now we’re looking at an undisclosed “summer” release with no solid information and nothing to do but, presumably, play with the bad basic color decks for months on end. Without a solid release date, people are just going to assume it will be continually pushed back like it has up until this point. If you guys are really serious about doing this, I think deserve at least weekly progress reports and more forthcoming from the staff. One vague update a month and no honest communication is a guaranteed way to make sure you drive the mature player base away. Not adding DEX is also unfortunate, since each set only has a limited time to shine before the next one. At this rate it looks like by the time DEX is released, it will already be outdated. I would love to see some kind of incentive for returning players once this thing is actually working again, and I don’t mean some useless tokens we can’t spend on anything. Players who have stuck it out through all of this deserve some kind of reward for their loyalty. I suggest just releasing DEX for free for a limited amount of time after PTCGO’s return, but I highly doubt Pokemon would want to lose the money.

All in all I am extremely disappointed in this news, as I am in the state of the situation in general. Someone dropped the ball big time, and this seems like a great opportunity to grow the game squandered. Pokemon deserves better than this.

KooperKoushiro

(...)

...compensating players who continue to log in and access the game throughout all of its multiplayer downtime, would be much appreciated. Something along the lines of giving free Booster Credits, or special Pokémon cards, to loyal players that remain with the PTCGO, when Version 2.0 is released.

(...)

This would be another excellent reward. Free packs are nice, but I can always go buy them later once things are back online. Meanwhile, there are currently some promo cards that are unobtainable on TCGO.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head are some of the alternate art ones (such as the New Legends Tin and <a href="http://pokebeach.com/scans/Nintendo/bw/bw004-reshiram.jpg">Reshiram, the <a href="http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/2/29/TornadusBWPromo42.jpg/200px-TornadusBWPromo42.jpg">Tornadus[/url] and <a href="http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/b/b0/ThundurusBWPromo41.jpg/200px-ThundurusBWPromo41.jpg">Thundurus[/url] from the Forces of Nature Collection, and the <a href="http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/2/20/LandorusBWPromo43.jpg/426px-LandorusBWPromo43.jpg">full art Landorus[/url] from the same box) and the most sought-after promo card currently playable in the format, <a href="http://pokebeach.com/scans/Nintendo/bw/bw28-tropical-beach-staff.jpg]Tropical Beach[/url].

If you make Tropical Beach a reward for completing the Trainer Challenge (on all difficulties or however it's set up) between its debut and the return of PvP, I would think a LOT of people would want to continue playing. The opportunity to get an exclusive, competitively playable card would appeal to me a lot more than 5-10 free packs.

-Kooper, pointing out that summer is also a time when kids (who can't utilize unofficial simulators) are off from school, and they may be unhappy about the inability to play during their free time. Hopefully there aren't too many angry parents...

Buffalon

Hmmm, I think the best way to make the mods & game developers to understand the pains of the players to stop entirely buying any Pokemon merchandises till the game is fix. Bad service = no customers.

Mods, no one cares about Trainer Challenge. Drop TC, improve on PvP, and allow a bigger pool of cards (limited to mediocre cards) to choose from for novice players. Even a novice would rather would rather play with another player (AI, even when is set difficult, is hardly a challenge).

PokemonEliteFour

Um, since when did this become a debate thread? XD

You guys: HEY EVERYBODY, LET'S BASH THE MODS!

Me: Well that's what you're doing!

truKeffect

Its pretty logical for them to shut down PvP so they can solely focus on 2.0, which is good. Everyone spams there emails everyday about glitchs and if they shut down PvP for a few months so they can get out 2.0 without anymore delays is a good thing.

Can't wait!

awoll714

wow couldnt agree more with alot of these people. i love to here news about the update that is awsome i dont understand why multi has to be taken out maybe give us some great reasons.not sure about others but i buy packs on regular for codes and if i have no use for em i will just simply stop. i agree with so many of you.i dont feel like writing much so yah please reconsider we have waited and need something to do the trainer challenge wasnt fun at all

aura_master8

I just though of another problem. We won't be able to test decks for Battle Roads! This really a huge problem for me (and I'm sure many others as well) because I don't have many people to test with! Please, I beg you........ Keep multiplayer and put in Dark Explorers. Thanks.

0Matt100Percent

Thanks for the updates Profs really looking forward to V2 and so are all my mates.

SWERVESTAR

The only mistake to note here is the one made by the community, not the forum mods and game devs. You as a community hold expectations for an unfinished work in progress. The more imaginary benchmarks you set, and updated features you expect by your imaginary deadlines, the less and less freedom you give the devs to work on the product the way they might need to.

Ration

Thanks so much for the update.

Although I am quite disappointed that I won't be able to play PVP for a while, I understand and respect the decision you've made. I can't imagine myself ever leaving this place and very much look forward to the release of the new version. I think it's great that the new version won't be flash player based. Excellent decision.

I have a question.

:)

Would you guys be needing any volunteers to test out your new version before its release for some feedback?

If so then I'd very much like to volunteer. It would be an absolute honour to be able to do this. So please, if possible. Pick me :)

Once again. Thanks so much for making this place in the first place since without it. I wouldn't be able to play a game I so truly love.

Kindest Regards

Ration

Pokelamps

Thanks Prof., for the news.

Thanks developers, for the looming new version.

Kudos to the move away from Fl@$h!!! This is awesome!

I've played another online trading c@rd g@me (not supposed to name it, I believe) that runs on Unity Engine and I'm impressed! Lagless gameplay, smooth animations, optional downloadable client. If Pokemon TCGO runs like that, it will be epic. Of course I understand that PTCGO is more complex.

Just trying to say there's hope for the game. Let's hope that the developers can fully utilize the game engine.

Don't mind waiting if we will be getting a game that runs like a game. Please keep the promise.

PS. The absence of PvP is a chance for ' weaker' cards to shine in single player games. If anyone plays it.

aviemzur

Moving to unity is a great idea, I do not understand why this game wasn't developed with unity to begin with.

However, shutting down the multiplayer for month (or years, by the rate of this game's development) is a slap in the face of all the loyal players who are dedicated to the franchise,

even though they suffer from all the bugs and the bad gaming experience that this game suffers from.

I myself have spent much time and money since I've been introduced to this game 2 months ago.

All I (and the other raging masses of PTCGO) need from you is to keep the multiplayer on, we have already grown accustomed to all of the bugs and flaws of the game and found ways to live with them, refreshing after every single action we take because the browser gets stucked with memory overloading, and having rules of which cards cannot be played in our tournaments and leagues due to known glitches. [side note: As I'm writing/editing this post I have to be careful and keep copying all the text and also experience the forum bugs. Yes even this game's forums are bugged...]

If you take away the pvp, I (and other people like me) are surely to leave the game, either until the ver2 comes out and we might return to try it out, if by then (months/years) we have not invested ourself in one of the other online games who are faithful to their customers, or even in one of the several FREE substitutes to playing the pokemon TCG game online (any card you want for free) [We did not do this in the first place because of the loyalty to the franchise, if we can get an official nintendo/pokemon version, which USUALLY means great, professional service, we are happy to shell out our hard earned money {Or in the case of your younger audience, their parents' money}].

(*) So really you're shooting yourself in the leg here, you will probably lose a huge chunk (probably the majority of) your payng clientelle.

By paying clientelle I of course mean inderctly since the codes for this site come from the real TCG packs,

but the buying of those packs is driven by the buyng of the codes which come in them from other vendors, or even buying more booster packs than you normally would (possibly 0) in order to obtain more booster codes.

So tell us, is it really that costly for you for this time of months that you have estimated to just keep the server running? It's going to be running for all the other functions, that are not multiplayer matches, so how much can this really cost you?

We'll tell you how much it will cost you to NOT leave the multiplayer on, see (*) above.

Regarding the DEX booster delay, I'm sure that if it means the multiplayer will stay active people will not mind that this booster will be delayed, heck, these people have grown accustomed to all the bugs and bad experience already, so what's another loss cardwise? not that bad, we'll just keep playing with what we have until version 2 comes.

As I have grown to really like this game (despite of all the flaws I mentioned), I sincerely hope the team will recognize the uproar of the paying clients of this game, and keep the multiplayer on, and this is not just selfishly, you need us way more than we need you.

So please WAKE UP nintendo/pokemon and realize that we do matter and you cannot keep stomping on us, there is a limit, and with April's update you have finally accomplished your apparent plan of reaching it.

Icecweem

I just though of another problem. We won't be able to test decks for Battle Roads! This really a huge problem for me (and I'm sure many others as well) because I don't have many people to test with! Please, I beg you........ Keep multiplayer and put in Dark Explorers. Thanks.

google playtcg

TBurrows9730

As we have no idea why Multi Player is out I will make a suggestion.

Have a Multi for the Trainer decks. Use the preset decks but allow us to play other people and not the AI.

TBurrows9730

Monday Question

Why can we not open DEX packs and trade DEX cards?

I understand that the Multiplayer engine may not be updated for the new cards and that we cannot play with them but I cannot dream of a reason why they would be a problem in collection and trade.

KooperKoushiro

↑ Good point.

If we will mostly be limited to Trainer Challenge (Player vs. AI with constructed decks is barely a challenge, as some have mentioned), then the focus will probably be on trading and collecting.

Neither of those require any game logic of the cards, other than categorizing them for searchability (Basic, Supporter, Rarity, Type, etc.). If the cards were obtainable, but not legal for actual play, then you'd still have something for collectors to do over the summer. No bugs to be pelted with since the game logic simply won't exist.

If the decision to halt all PvP isn't reversed, this would be a good idea to appease collectors. Those who mostly play, not collect, will still be turned away...but it's better than almost all users being turned away.

-Kooper, looking forward to answers coming...this Friday, was it?

spiritbomb102

i want more prof to be here on site everyday.

Fred2222

That is off topic

ShadowMachine

Monday Question

I understand that the Multiplayer engine may not be updated for the new cards and that we cannot play with them but I cannot dream of a reason why they would be a problem in collection and trade.

+1

Honestly this would be fine since we still would be able to trade, so im guessing that storing data is not an issue unless limited (correct me if im wrong). I would like to know why holding DE till the release of V2, other than being an incentive for me come back? give us the reasons as a programmer why this cant be done so we can understand.

Roserade90

First off, I want to say that I am glad that you are switching to a different software vendor since the current system is so buggy. Second, I understand the desire to not pour more money into a system that is going away. I am more concerned about the fact that I have literally spent hundreds of dollars in real money to buy codes to buy cards. Some of the cards will no longer be legal to play with when the game comes back online, and to me that makes them pretty much worthless. Other cards will still be legal, but might no longer retain the same value that they had previously due to the release of new sets. With the most recently released cards, even if they retain their playability, I still bought them with the implied promise that I would be able to use them, not have them sit in an electronic vault for months on end. I feel like I have been taken advantage of. I really think when the new game comes back online, you should consider some form of compensation in the form of free codes, possibly real life merchandise, etc. as compensation to players who have been misled. Possibly a free code for every redeemed code during the last year? I realize that would be a short term hit to profitability, but it seems like drop in the bucket compared to losing such a large percentage of players from what could be such a great long-term contributor to Pokemon TGC's future popularity.

aura_master8

I have another question for Friday or Monday. Does the game coming back in September have anything to do with Rotation?

Abomb2142

Although I haven't read the whole thread, I have seen many people suggest that those who have redeemed codes get some sort of re-embursement, and I agree with this, however I believe they should take it one step further. I as a player have little spare money to invest in this game, and i've redeemed 5 packs tops, however I still have achieved a collection of over 900 cards. Now, I know this isn't alot, but going from 50 to 900 is quite the difference, and took quite a bit of time. Only having "rewards" for players who redeemed codes seems a little silly, considering I have invested quite a bit of time to gain this collection, and to have it all wiped and have little to no re-embursement.. Well, let's just say i'd be a little angry. I think an alternative way of doing this, whether it be number of cards, or even number of packs opened would be better than just redeemed codes. But I don't know a way that would be efficient. If anyone has a better idea, i'd like to hear it, and i'm sure others would too, considering I know many people who are like me.

Ration

Monday Question

+1

That is an absolutely great idea. Something very worth considering in my opinion.

=)

VJT

I think that everyone's opinion on this great stuff but I believe that even though that I also do not like the fact that PvP is not available for some time. I would like to know about the future and since TCGO will be looking and answering questions. I say everyone should be adding as much questions to get the information that we need to help us get through this.

• What is expected from us when this is returned to the public? Installation requirements?
  • Can we get more frequent updates on the main page with a title "What is going on this week with TCGO"?
  • Will this go into a close beta again? And maybe that with rewards again like the first time?
  • More about the other things that have been promised. Gems, avatars, card rotation, Deck builder, Trading and those pesky FREE cards.
  • How about the bugs and how this will be dealt with. Reporting of bugs made easier?

These are some of many question that I have and I am not sure what will be given to us but I say ask, what do we have to lose.

Sign in to follow this