Sign in to follow this  
TPCi_Mathis

April Community Update discussion thread

Pokelamps

If the new version lives up to its hype and expectations, it's worth the wait.

On the positive side, at least it's using Unity.

Crowe2617

this is ridiculous.

closing down pvp for MONTHS... i'll be amazed if this game stays alive. dedicated players such as myself are basically going to give up. I honestly don't see myself coming back in august... lets even say july (for your benefit) and being super pumped to play some dark explorers when it's been out for over 2 or 3 months by then.

I've invested hours of time and money in this game. recently bought a stack of 50 codes just for dark explorers... and now it's going down for MONTHS when you said v.2 was gonna be out early 2012.

this company is a joke. i've seen such little progress in this game over the past few months and with that, we have to suffer longer to get v.2 (who knows if that will even be better)

i'm just ranting out of frustration now. good luck pokemon tcgo... i'm done.

Squirtlepants

Well, it's nice to see the new version is coming up soon. And hopefully with bug fixes done.

As for the "mad" people around here, I'm pretty sure your codes are redeemed on the store, and they will only close the Novice and Expert Online challenge. They even said the Collections are going to be open too (if you focus on read well and slowly), don't be scared of your boosters/cards/decks/codes, etc.

heavyarms55

I'm gonna really miss PvP, I wish you could give us a less vague estimate as to when PvP will be released.

matthew69

If the new version lives up to its hype and expectations, it's worth the wait.

On the positive side, at least it's using Unity.

Yeah this is TCGO here, the website was made to disappoint, luckily I am a collector too so it will not effect me too much, I am reallly upset about Dark Explorers in particular.

[Edited by the lurking Prof. Snow] Please do not link to anything with inappropriate language/content. Thanks!

Icecweem

utterly disappointed. I got 2 questions:

What will happen to the cards we have atm? Carried forward into V2 or vanish and start all over? If it is, byebye PTCGO. I wonder if I can demand for my money back from the company.

How long till V2? Months? If it is, byebye PTCGO.

To fix an eviolite coding or rocky helm or just enabling rare candy on gardevoir you cannot do for months, what more a whole new version? You need 1 whole year or more PTCGO?

*edited by prof steel

AtothedoubleZ

This thread is getting very interesting. I think this thread will also be a wakeup call for how dissappointed people are with whoever dropped the ball.

I'll stick around once this comes back up but only if we keep our cards. If we don't I'll probably leave too. Another thing is that you may not realize this but many of us have spent a lot of money on this game and if we lose out on those cards I will be really mad like many others.

VikesRule

Getting rid of multiplayer is the single worst decision that the development team for PTCGO could possibly make. Especially since you don't even give a timetable on when it'll be back. That forces us to make an assumption based on the past responses from the team, which obviously is not good given your track record. Is it safe to assume it'll be a year before we get a multiplayer mode again? Why you get rid of the only thing people come here for is beyond me. I know I don't represent everyone and some people probably enjoy single player, but come on now. I have to believe a large portion of the userbase plays multiplayer.

Is it because of the complaints by players? Is it because people keep requesting bugs to be fixed? If you just don't want to deal with the hassle of giving BS "we're working on it" answers then I have to say that's pretty sad. I don't hate any of the moderators here even though they obviously are just saying whatever they can to appease people. I understand that. I don't care if you tell me anything about the game anymore, I'm beyond that point. I'm not even mad that many of the glitches from Noble Victories are still in the game. I've learned to accept it and just try to enjoy the game as it is. But isn't your job as a moderating team to be able to deal with customers? Are the developers tired of getting their feelings hurt by everyone bashing the game? I just don't understand the decision to do this since many people are going to stop playing if there is no multiplayer.

I have spent some money on this game, but in all honesty I see that as entertainment money, so I would have used the money elsewhere. But the time I invested in trading and stuff? That I can never get back. I have over 400 unopened booster packs right now, that I've slowly stockpiled from making trades. I do this so that I can acquire any card I need for a deck whenever I need it and quickly by offering packs for it. But there's no point in doing that since I won't be able to use the deck in an actual game now. I have no reason to even do anything until version 2 comes out.

I don't have the ability to play the real life card game. This is the only way I can play. I know I'm not alone in that I rediscovered this awesome game from my childhood because of the medium that it was offered on: the internet. Having the ability to play against real people using the cards is an awesome experience, especially with how good the graphic interface was. For a lot of people, this is the only way they can play against other people. So by taking that away, you take away their ability to not only enjoy the game but promote it to others as well.

I know this won't get a response and I know nobody really cares, after all it's just a stupid video game. It has no real life consequences. I just enjoyed playing and I'm sad that I will no longer be able to, since I know without a doubt that whatever timetable the PTCGO team will say for Version 2 will not be met and we'll have to wait twice as long, if not longer, for it to actually come out.

Anyways, to the developers and staff of PTCGO, for what it's worth, consider your decision to discontinue multiplayer as the sole reason that I will no longer be playing this game. Unless the decision is reversed, you have lost a customer who has invested significant amounts of time and money into this game.

matthew69

This thread is getting very interesting. I think this thread will also be a wakeup call for how dissappointed people are with whoever dropped the ball.

I'll stick around once this comes back up but only if we keep our cards. If we don't I'll probably leave too. Another thing is that you may not realize this but many of us have spent a lot of money on this game and if we lose out on those cards I will be really mad like many others.

I checked and according to all of the Profs responses there is no plan to have a collection wipe ever [unless by accident or error, which with TCGO in the way it is will almost definetely happen.]

P.S I won't be sticking around - I am a collector but as I have a trade error, so I cannot send trades, and we will not be allowed to play I might as well quit for good. The likelihood is V2 will never come anyway, TCGO since it made it to Open Beta has just been months and months of constant disappointment and failure.

NinjaDethStrike

Is it because of the complaints by players? Is it because people keep requesting bugs to be fixed? If you just don't want to deal with the hassle of giving ** "we're working on it" answers then I have to say that's pretty sad.

This. It almost seems like it's out of spite. The classic "Oh yeah!? Well I'm taking my toys and going home!" defence.

phil2012two

What is the Unity engine by the way? It is download for free?

matthew69

What is the Unity engine by the way? It is download for free?

I would imagine it would be free, but with TCGO u never know, the whole website was made to rip people off, so I wouldn't be surprised if u had to pay.

damz86

So you say that theres going to be no PvP for months then when people ask "when will you take it down?" you simply reply with "check back next friday for answers! :D"?

Shouldnt you have the answers on hand to [at the minimum] give a rough estimate? What kind of rewards will you be giving to people who stick around during these months?

manmanorad

So you say that theres going to be no PvP for months then when people ask "when will you take it down?" you simply reply with "check back next friday for answers! :D"?

Shouldnt you have the answers on hand to [at the minimum] give a rough estimate? What kind of rewards will you be giving to people who stick around during these months?

They will say something like "Meh, you all should worship us for providing the Pokemon Card Online game.". And then they are together laughing their *** off until next Friday to say something like: "Okay, we will give you a divine gift, continue to play our bugfest Online PvP, worship us more~. Ver2 will come out when we like."

LightofDestiny

Thank you for the latest updates. I so hope the new features will be better for this game.

morningpsyche

The update is nice, but I'm not convince. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sporadicles

Time to add my two cents.

The decision to close down PvP is definitely a worry, and potentially a very bad move from a customer service perspective. We all know that there are a plethora of bugs, some which have existed for a long time now, and I have seen many forum posts from players stating they are going to leave because of this. But there are also many players who have stayed, like myself, tolerating the issues as this is a beta - not quitting due to the hope that eventually all the bugs will be dealt with. I am glad that things are moving forward with the new programme development, but have reservations about this announcement.

If closing down the PvP means that version 2 will be released much more quickly then I understand the decision. But my instinct is telling me that this isn't the case. I may be wrong but it feels like it is being closed as it doesn't run very well, and you have decided to erase it as the focus is upon building the new version. My feeling, and it seems to be shared by many here, is that this is a bad decision - an indirectly disrespectful move towards the player base. We know the system doesn't work, we have stuck with it nonetheless. Of course a perfectly crafted PvP game is the aim for all, but what we have now is better than nothing. I drink my coffee with sugar and milk - in a world without either I'd rather have it black and unsweetened then forgo it completely.

The Dark Explorers announcement is rather disappointing too, and for the reasons I've already cited I'd prefer if it were released sooner. Yes, there will be bugs, but there always have been, and I'd rather get to use the new set in the Bizarro World of current Pokemon Online than not see them for months. But, again, if the decision to not release them will bring us version 2 a lot sooner I understand.

I appreciate that this announcement has been released and understand how difficult things must have been over at the development side of Pokemon Online. But, having a background in customer service, I must question whether your decisions are born from a desire to create a comfortable environment for development, or to put the customer first. If the former there is potential you may lose a noticeable number of players. Without PvP the community will quieten down, allowing you to focus on version 2 with less interruption, but upon release you may find a noticeably diminished community lacking some of those who helped create it in the first place.

Eep - that somehow turned into a mini-essay. Thanks all :)

Reverend-Turtle

I have just discovered this website. I have money, and was preparing to buy the first boosters since I was a kid. Fighting in PvP is the only reason; I have always felt the allure of building a master deck, and with PvP online I can realise that desire. I really get a buzz from snapping another player's master plan, or seeing a player do something elegantly destructive to me.

If I am not able to play for months, I will not be spending any money.

Economics.

novstradamus21

retarded decision

daoneandonly

First of all some postive feed back. Thanks for the Update although the content isn't what most of us hoped for. I know this all might come hard for the users but I bet this was not just a overnight dicision for the Developers team.

Though you, the developers team, of all should know that closing down the multiplayer functions of the TCGO is the absolute worst thing you could do. I'm sure that, and I definitely hope so, this was not a light decision to make, because it'll will have a lot of impact among the community. You mentioned often enough that this game is made almost of entirely around the community. With bad decisions like this you'll while lose them. In other words you're ruining your own game.

There are a lot of people who still like the current version for exactly what it is. A Beta(!). Glitches and bugs are allowed! As long as the Dev Team is making progress we'll take the glitches and bugs for granted. We know you stopped working on the current version, to focus all attention to the V2. We play with something to lookout for, to be excited for. If you'll cut that down, I guess a lot of people won't be excited anymore.

I don't like to repeat other people here but I have to agree that there is only a little bit of onesided communication with this beta, and that all was really vague news. I know how putting deadlines and making up to them can be really hard, but this game has never actually kept promise to one of them. Intial release kept getting pushed further, beta period became longer and now with an upcomming V2 which is promised to come later summer. I think I speak for most of the people who been here around long enough to tell you that late-summer deadline is definitely not going happen.

Finally I got some questions which I'd like to see answered in the thread on Monday:

• You mentioned the Novice and Expert Games function will be taken down. Does that mean we still be able to chat and trade?

• Will there be a card wipe, where all the cards will be reset, when the V2 comes out?

• Will all codes I ever redeemed will be avalaible on the V2?

If any other questions come to mind I'll be sure to post them here.

-Daoneandonly

matthew69

First of all some postive feed back. Thanks for the Update although the content isn't what most of us hoped for. I know this all might come hard for the users but I bet this was not just a overnight dicision for the Developers team.

Though you, the developers team, of all should know that closing down the multiplayer functions of the TCGO is the absolute worst thing you could do. I'm sure that, and I definitely hope so, this was not a light decision to make, because it'll will have a lot of impact among the community. You mentioned often enough that this game is made almost of entirely around the community. With bad decisions like this you'll while lose them. In other words you're ruining your own game.

There are a lot of people who still like the current version for exactly what it is. A Beta(!). Glitches and bugs are allowed! As long as the Dev Team is making progress we'll take the glitches and bugs for granted. We know you stopped working on the current version, to focus all attention to the V2. We play with something to lookout for, to be excited for. If you'll cut that down, I guess a lot of people won't be excited anymore.

I don't like to repeat other people here but I have to agree that there is only a little bit of onesided communication with this beta, and that all was really vague news. I know how putting deadlines and making up to them can be really hard, but this game has never actually kept promise to one of them. Intial release kept getting pushed further, beta period became longer and now with an upcomming V2 which is promised to come later summer. I think I speak for most of the people who been here around long enough to tell you that late-summer deadline is definitely not going happen.

Finally I got some questions which I'd like to see answered in the thread on Monday:

• You mentioned the Novice and Expert Games function will be taken down. Does that mean we still be able to chat and trade?

• Will there be a card wipe, where all the cards will be reset, when the V2 comes out?

• Will all codes I ever redeemed will be avalaible on the V2?

If any other questions come to mind I'll be sure to post them here.

-Daoneandonly

As I have read and talked to Profs on all these questions, I have been told that:

1. U can still chat and trade as well as enter into matches V trainer challenge, AI, and avatar creator and forums.

2. There is no collection wipe planned so unless there is a huge error we will still have all our cards

3. If we do not have a collection wipe then no unless u have not spent any of ur codes.

marcosino

This must have been a very tough move and I feel for all the people who were still playing V1 but somehow I like this move because it is a clear cut.

I honestly do not want to know how many tickets are written because of bugs and how many players are reported for abusing bugs but I would guess that this eats a lot of workload which can be better be used in the development for V2. It is well known that the current version will be abandoned, still practically every second day threads over here are opened like "Fix these bugs please", "When can I play against my friends?", "My opponent cheated", etc. pp.. And this is only what we see here, the number of tickets might be gigantic. And: Someone has to read all those tickets...

So, I think it is better to let V1 die now so that when TC V2 comes out next month, everyone can concentrate on that.

Some questions:

* Will V2 be web-based (flash-based) or will it be a downloadable exe-file?

* What will be the system requirements?

* As you transfer to another engine, it might be difficult to transfer all collection data. So, will the card data be transferred? Or will collections be wiped and booster codes refunded? The latter one might be the cleanest way because problems with this transfer will just be an unnecassary delay. If that transfer is difficult to do, maybe it is better to just wipe and bring PvP back two weeks earlier.

* Will the "new" trainer challenge be different in content from the current version?

* Do I assume right that V2 will have a private message system (based on the letter in the toolbar)?

Fred2222

5 words- do not stop the pvp!

sophies

What will become of our current unused codes? Will they still be valid when Multiplayer comes back online?

This is the only thing I realy want to know. Will codes from older packs still be able to be reedemed? It would be ashame if it only worked with Dark explorers

DialgaChampion

• Why is it necessary to disable Multiplayer entirely?

• Will the Trainer Challenge v2 come up at the same time the Multiplayer modes are disabled?

• Since Unity allows for deployment on various platforms, will we see a (optional?) downloadable client for v2?

As NinjaDethStrike suggested, implement some form of player rewards for playing the Trainer Challenge v2.

A universal rewards program for anyone who plays up until the release of the new TCGO mode would be nice as well...

These are the questions I would appreciate being answered by the developers.

Many players, myself included, are wondering why it is necessary to cancel the current multiplayer capabilities of the game, while work is being completed on Version 2.0. If anything, the current version can be left intact and running, with all of its bugs and glitches, and just have no work or updates being done on it, still with all of the team's efforts focused on "...getting the new multiplayer game to our fans as quickly as possible."

As well, if multiplayer functionality is being disabled, which is a major factor in why everyone plays the online game, then there should be something to compensate the players for it. Releasing the new Trainer Challenge early on, as well as compensating players who continue to log in and access the game throughout all of its multiplayer downtime, would be much appreciated. Something along the lines of giving free Booster Credits, or special Pokémon cards, to loyal players that remain with the PTCGO, when Version 2.0 is released.

And last but not least, if you're going to work on Version 2.0, then you should develop a downloadable client version of the game. Adobe Flash is going out the door. Even with a high-speed Internet connection, the current flash version still lags enormously, especially when browsing the Public Trade Offers.

If PTCGO is going to remain a Massive-Multiplayer-Online game, it needs a downloadable client to function properly.

Anyways, that's just my two bottles of Moomoo Milk.

I will still be around, at least for the moment. The new Version 2.0 looks much better, according to the screenshot that was posted, but having developed my own Pokémon games in the past, I know first-hand that images don't mean much, if development fails to proceed as planned, along the way.

Sign in to follow this