Constructive Criticism - Zekeels Deck

pgabber

I made a Zek eels deck a few months ago, but then I got tired of it and traded my Zek EXs away. I just recently got some more, along with Raichu Primes, so I built a new deck. Please let me know if you think there are specific improvements I could make.

Pokemon:

2 Cleffa

3-3 Eels

2 Zek EX

2 Zek BLW

2-2 Raichu Prime

Trainers:

2 Pokemon Collector

4 Professor Oak’s New Theory

2 Seeker

2 Twins

1 Interviewer’s Questions

4 Junk Arm

4 Pokemon Catcher

3 Pokemon Communication

2 Switch

Energy:

12 Lightning

2 DCE

2 Rescue

The ideal game plan is to get all 3 eels set up on the bench with Raichu Prime active and Zek EX on the bench. Cleffa for tech support and BLW Zeks for additional firepower/counters. Any ideas for improvements are appreciated.

only 4 draw support from oak isn't enough. Also in this deck, swapping the pcomm for level ball is a better choice.

-1 cleffa

you only need 1 usually. 2 cleffas might slow you down and give cheap prizes away which you do not want to do

+1 thundurus

-2 seeker

-2 twins

-1 interviewer's question

-1 Oak

-3 pokemon communication

+3 level ball

+4 juniper

+4 N! (or you can swap 1 N! out for PONT but personally, I prefer 4 Ns)

+1 super rod

-2 rescue

+1 DCE

Ideally, a deck would wanna run about 10 draw supports for consistency.

To be honest though, I would very much prefer to run 2 or 3 mewtwos in the deck taking out raichu personally but if you wanna include the raichu, you could use 2 mewtwos by taking out 1 zekrom ex and 2 lightings and adding another DCE.

only 4 draw support from oak isn't enough. Also in this deck, swapping the pcomm for level ball is a better choice.

-1 cleffa

you only need 1 usually. 2 cleffas might slow you down and give cheap prizes away which you do not want to do

+1 thundurus

-2 seeker

-2 twins

-1 interviewer's question

-1 Oak

-3 pokemon communication

+3 level ball

+4 juniper

+4 N! (or you can swap 1 N! out for PONT but personally, I prefer 4 Ns)

+1 super rod

-2 rescue

+1 DCE

Ideally, a deck would wanna run about 10 draw supports for consistency.

To be honest though, I would very much prefer to run 2 or 3 mewtwos in the deck taking out raichu personally but if you wanna include the raichu, you could use 2 mewtwos by taking out 1 zekrom ex and 2 lightings and adding another DCE.

I agree for the most part but I'm not sure why you'd want to take out all the PComs for Level Ball. If he's going to keep Raichu Prime he can't get it out with Level Ball so a few PComs is good to have (maybe 2 or so).

Also I disagree with adding Thundurus. Sure it's a good early attacker but it's nearly worthless late game.

One area that I definitely agree with you is that Mewtwo is very good in this deck. I'd run at least 1, if not 2. I generally agree with everything else you've suggested in terms of cards to take out and add in.

I'm trying to limit EXs to just Zekrom, or else I'd definitely put Mewtwo in. The reason I like the Raichu/eels combo is because I can do 120 damage with Mega Thunderbolt, discard all 3 energy (which conveniently rains on Mewtwo EX's parade), then next turn use the eels to pull them back out and Voltage Increase them back onto Raichu, allowing me to attack every single turn for 120 damage with no drawback. It's worked pretty well so far and it's very fun.

I took out Interviewer's Questions and a Seeker and added 2 Max Potions to heal Raichu, since I can Voltage Increase the energies right back onto him anyway. I also think I'll take out the Rescues completely, because they can't be Dynamotor'd and they don't help Raichu a single bit.

What should I put in when I take out the 2 Rescues?

This is my current decklist:

Pokemon:

1 Cleffa

2 Zekrom EX

4-4 Eelektrik

3-3 Raichu Prime

Trainers:

4 Pokemon Catcher

2 Switch

2 Pokemon Communication

2 Plus Power

2 Pokegear 3.0

2 Max Potion

4 Junk Arm

2 Copycat

1 Twins

1 Seeker

3 Pokemon Collector

Energy:

2 DCE

12 Lightning

This seems to be working much better than before, but I think the Copycats are the weak link. Any ideas for a hand-refresher that is more consistent but does not discard valuable Trainers?

Pokemon:

1 Cleffa

2 Zekrom EX

4-4 Eelektrik

3-3 Raichu Prime

Trainers:

4 Pokemon Catcher

2 Switch

2 Pokemon Communication

2 Plus Power

2 Pokegear 3.0

2 Max Potion

4 Junk Arm

2 Copycat

1 Twins

1 Seeker

3 Pokemon Collector

Energy:

2 DCE

12 Lightning

This seems to be working much better than before, but I think the Copycats are the weak link. Any ideas for a hand-refresher that is more consistent but does not discard valuable Trainers?

I think it's unnecessary to be running a 4-4 eel line. In my decks I mostly run 3-3. In my opinion I don't think you need the max potions, seeker, twins, and copy cats. Add juniper's or engineer adjustments to get more energy in the discard pile. Why not swap out the raichu primes for raichu from the HGSS which does 100 for 2 energy and has free retreat cost.

Pokemon:

1 Cleffa

2 Zekrom EX

4-4 Eelektrik

3-3 Raichu Prime

Trainers:

4 Pokemon Catcher

2 Switch

2 Pokemon Communication

2 Plus Power

2 Pokegear 3.0

2 Max Potion

4 Junk Arm

2 Copycat

1 Twins

1 Seeker

3 Pokemon Collector

Energy:

2 DCE

12 Lightning

I think it's unnecessary to be running a 4-4 eel line. In my decks I mostly run 3-3. In my opinion I don't think you need the max potions, seeker, twins, and copy cats. Add juniper's or engineer adjustments to get more energy in the discard pile. Why not swap out the raichu primes for raichu from the HGSS which does 100 for 2 energy and has free retreat cost.

The 4-4 eels line has proven extremely helpful because I need 3 eels on the bench for this deck to work as it's supposed to, and it's pretty dangerous to run 3-3 and hope that none of them are prized. The max potions work wonders to keep raichu alive after a Mega Thunderbolt, and raichu prime works much better than HGSS raichu because the retreat cost only helps my cause down the road and it hits much harder. Raichu's ability is the main reason to use it over HGSS raichu, though, because I can keep using Mega Thunderbolt every turn due to the eels and its ability, but HGSS raichu can only do 100 damage and then it has to come out. I took out the copycats in favor of a Bianca and N, which seem to have helped with late-game hand refresh and disruption. Seeker is excellent for ending a game 1 turn early or disrupting a full bench.

Archived