[CARD] Ω Barrier doesn't prevent the effect of an opponent's Escape Rope

• Please log in to reply

13 March 2019 - 03:39 AM

jakegearhart

Rookie Trainer

• jakegearhart

Issue:

When an opponent plays an Escape Rope item card, and you select to promote a Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait (which reads, "Whenever your opponent plays a trainer card (excluding Pokémon tools and stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokémon), the switching effect of the Escape Rope on your Pokémon is not prevented, even though all effects of the Escape Rope should be.

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Payer 1 plays an Escape Rope item card.

2) Player 2 selects a Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait (such as Electrike, Primal Clash 60/160).

3) Player 1 chooses a benched Pokémon to promote.

4) Observe the switching effect taking place on the Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait.

13 March 2019 - 03:46 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Escape Rope:

Each player switches their Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon...

It doesn't target the pokemon, it targets the player. So Omega Barrier isn't triggered.

Edited by SandaledOtter, 13 March 2019 - 03:46 AM.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

13 March 2019 - 04:16 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

It doesn't target the pokemon, it targets the player. So Omega Barrier isn't triggered.

It's not necessarily targeting the player, but it does matter whether it's Active, or on the bench.

These rulings (for Escape Rope and Lysandre) should make it clear:

Q. If I use Escape Rope but my opponent's Active Pokemon has the "Omega Barrier" Ancient Trait does he or she have to switch it? Or if they have a Pokemon with "Omega Barrier" on the bench can he or she choose that and not switch it to Active?
A. If your opponent has an Active Pokemon with "Omega Barrier", then Escape Rope's effect will be blocked. If a Pokemon with "Omega Barrier" is on the bench, choosing that Pokemon will not stop the effect as the Active was the target of Escape Rope. (Primal Clash FAQ; Feb 5, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent's Active Pokemon has the "Omega Barrier" Ancient Trait, can I use Lysandre to switch one of my benched Pokemon with it?
A. If your opponent's Benched Pokemon has "Omega Barrier", then Lysandre's effect will be blocked. But choosing a Benched Pokemon without "Omega Barrier" will cause it to switch with the Active Pokemon because the Benched Pokemon is the target of Lysandre. (Apr 9, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

Issue:
When an opponent plays an Escape Rope item card, and you select to promote a Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait (which reads, "Whenever your opponent plays a trainer card (excluding Pokémon tools and stadium cards), prevent all effects of that card done to this Pokémon), the switching effect of the Escape Rope on your Pokémon is not prevented, even though all effects of the Escape Rope should be.

From the ruling above, you can see that just choosing a Pokémon with Barrier on the bench does not stop the effect of Escape Rope.

These "technicalities" can make your head spin.  You're not alone.

Edited by RobRatt, 13 March 2019 - 04:34 AM.

13 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

It's not necessarily targeting the player, but it does matter whether it's Active, or on the bench.

These rulings (for Escape Rope and Lysandre) should make it clear:

Q. If I use Escape Rope but my opponent's Active Pokemon has the "Omega Barrier" Ancient Trait does he or she have to switch it? Or if they have a Pokemon with "Omega Barrier" on the bench can he or she choose that and not switch it to Active?
A. If your opponent has an Active Pokemon with "Omega Barrier", then Escape Rope's effect will be blocked. If a Pokemon with "Omega Barrier" is on the bench, choosing that Pokemon will not stop the effect as the Active was the target of Escape Rope. (Primal Clash FAQ; Feb 5, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent's Active Pokemon has the "Omega Barrier" Ancient Trait, can I use Lysandre to switch one of my benched Pokemon with it?
A. If your opponent's Benched Pokemon has "Omega Barrier", then Lysandre's effect will be blocked. But choosing a Benched Pokemon without "Omega Barrier" will cause it to switch with the Active Pokemon because the Benched Pokemon is the target of Lysandre. (Apr 9, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

From the ruling above, you can see that just choosing a Pokémon with Barrier on the bench does not stop the effect of Escape Rope.

These "technicalities" can make your head spin.  You're not alone.

Ah. E.Rope doesn't say it targets either the active or the bench, but yes, it does come closer to saying it hits the active. Guzma and Lysandre clearly target a benched pokemon. I suppose the wording they used was the best they could come up with, since they couldn't use the word "retreat."

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

14 March 2019 - 01:57 PM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

Issue:

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Payer 1 plays an Escape Rope item card.

2) Player 2 selects a Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait (such as Electrike, Primal Clash 60/160).

3) Player 1 chooses a benched Pokémon to promote.

4) Observe the switching effect taking place on the Pokémon with the Ω Barrier ancient trait.

Hello jakegearhart,

Thank you for reporting this possible bug that doesn't seem to appear among known issues our development team is working on at the moment, therefore I believe it's best to forward the information you provided to their attention.

To do so I'd ask you to verify which client version you have and post it in this thread. Thank you for your cooperation!

I've also updated the title of your topic with the correct category.

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit the Pokémon Support Portal to submit a ticket.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

14 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Hello jakegearhart,

Thank you for reporting this possible bug that doesn't seem to appear among known issues our development team is working on at the moment, therefore I believe it's best to forward the information you provided to their attention.

To do so I'd ask you to verify which client version you have and post it in this thread. Thank you for your cooperation!

I've also updated the title of your topic with the correct category.

There is no bug here.  It is a misunderstanding of a specific rule.  Please have the "dev team" fix something else.

14 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

There is no bug here.  It is a misunderstanding of a specific rule.  Please have the "dev team" fix something else.

Hello RobRatt, 

Thank you for confirming this! Just wanted to be sure it was. 

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit the Pokémon Support Portal to submit a ticket.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.