A few questions i need cleared up

• Please log in to reply

07 March 2019 - 11:28 PM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
I have just got a few questions that i need to get cleared up.
1) so, i know how to tell what expansion a card is from and know which ones are allowed now in standard. However, i was wondering wether a trainer from an older expansion that has been reprinted in a newer expansion can be used in tournaments if it is exactly the same writing?
For example: i have a rare candy from an older expansion. Can’t remember which one off the top of my head. Do i need to by the newer print?
2) secondly, when do they change which expansions are playable in standard, i need to know this incase i migt need to create a new deck.

I may post some more questions that i think up later.
Thanks to anyone who replies and helps out!
😀

07 March 2019 - 11:36 PM

SKBellmore

Junior Trainer

• SKBellmore
1) Yes.
2) I think sometime around August although I’m not 100% sure.
The Galar region has been revealed!
#TeamSobble FTW
Visit my deck thread!
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/70263-new-skbellmore’s-deck-thread/#entry622806

08 March 2019 - 12:10 AM

Mod_Turtle

• Mod_Turtle

Hey Bomberboy6578,

1. You can use the older prints of a card if there is a newer standard reprint of the card. You don't need to obtain a newer version of the card.

2. Rotation usually happens after the  Pokémon World Championships. You can find more information about the last rotation here.

Moderator Turtle
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
“Shello, how may I help you today?”

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

08 March 2019 - 12:11 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

1) Same card is if it's same name. You can play even an older copy with different text but, the text counting is the one from the last reprint. E.g Pokémon catcher EMP 95

"Switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon."

> Reprinted DEX 111 as SR, same text.

> Reprinted KSS 36, new text:

"Flip a coin. If heads, switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon. "

> Reprinted SUM 126, same last text.

This means you can play the EMP or the DEX copy, but the instructions to follow will be the ones of the SUM card.

In addition I have to say the text of the EMP was updated in the online (only) and don't know if they updated finally the SR too.

2) End August / 1st week of September, after the World championship

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

09 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
Thanks, that really clears things up.
Just another question. I know that you need deck sleeves to enter tournaments (i’m talking physical pokemon cards, not online). However, can they be geneic clear sleeves or do they need to be pokemon brand sleeves, like the ones in the elite trainer boxes. Also, where can you get cheap sleeves. Wether they are pokemon brand or just plain, although i would probably rather pokemon sleeves even if you can use plain.
So, in summary, do you HAVE to use pokemon sleeves or can they be plain and where can you buy cheap pokemon sleeves.
Thanks

09 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

card sleeves are technically not required at official pokemon events. But its highly recommended due to cards getting damaged. If your card gets damaged and you can see the damage on the card then you have to replace that card. Its much easier to replace a sleeve then a whole new card.

the recommended sleeves are a solid clear front and solid colored back with minimal gloss/reflection. basically any sleeve where you cant cheat and its up to judges.

basically if you are using sleeves you can use whatever as long as it doesnt provide any competitive advantage. keep in mind some sleeves wear down really fast and you maybe required to replace them often.

09 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Sleeves these days seem to really poorly made. The Pokemon ones, especially, just fall apart if the don't get scratched up quickly. None of them compare to the ones I had had my MtG cards in back in the days of 3rd/4th edition.

So sleeve your cards, and bring enough with you to re-sleeve them all for a tournament. Possibly multiple times if it's a big one.

Edited by SandaledOtter, 09 March 2019 - 03:56 PM.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

10 March 2019 - 12:07 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

In general, I think, sleeves with designs go bye-bye a lot faster than plain ones.  I've decided to only get higher-quality ones, myself, about 10$ for a pack of 100 (Dragonshield), because while they cost twice as much up front, I'd wager they last more than twice as long.  Plus, you save tons of resleeving time, which is some of the most tedious time there is.

EDITED because Rob is right as usual. :P

Edited by SuperStone, 13 March 2019 - 02:30 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

12 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

aaaaaaaak

Novice Trainer

• aaaaaaaak

In general, I think, sleeves with designs go bye-bye a lot faster than plain ones.  I've decided to only get higher-quality ones, myself (I won't name them, but it's about 10$ for a pack of 100), because while they cost twice as much up front, I'd wager they last more than twice as long.  Plus, you save tons of resleeving time, which is some of the most tedious time there is.

why not name them? Is it some big secret or something?
Know your deck.

12 March 2019 - 10:02 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Nah, they just don't like us doing anything that resembles a promotion here on the forums.  It's a bit paranoid, but I can understand where they're coming from, and I certainly prefer a restrictive but positive environment to an open, negative one.

This is, BTW, another area where TPCi ignores any suggestions you give them, so we've all just conceded to it and moved on.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

12 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I've always had good luck with Ultra Pro sleeves.  If you buy the cheap ones (penny sleeves) for storing your cards, it's always worthwhile to get the Premium version because they are uniform, hold up better, and fit the cards without being loose.  When it comes to "game sleeves," there are quite a variety of colors and designs.  Go for the plain colored  background as a general rule.

For other game sleeves, you can also google Eclipse, which has been a solid brand when we've played with them.

You can find them at every local card shop, or Amazon if you're out in the boonies.

Nah, they just don't like us doing anything that resembles a promotion here on the forums. It's a bit paranoid, but I can understand where they're coming from, and I certainly prefer a restrictive but positive environment to an open, negative one.

This is, BTW, another area where TPCi ignores any suggestions you give them, so we've all just conceded to it and moved on.

I think you're confusing general gameplay recommendations with "strangers" pushing their products, video channels, or websites, usually with an enticement or promise.  We can't include outside links for safety reasons, but there's no reason to be afraid of honest discussion.

Common sense prevails.

Edited by RobRatt, 12 March 2019 - 11:04 PM.

15 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
Just another question relating tournaments.
So, i have earnt 18 tickets through grinding expanded vs attack using a mch strike sort of deck. I have also looked at the tournamnets and seen 3 that say poeple needed. However, if i enter, when will the tournament be played? Will it set a specific time because i am not allowed on at any point i want.
Thanks again to anyone who helps out

16 March 2019 - 12:27 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Just another question relating tournaments.
So, i have earnt 18 tickets through grinding expanded vs attack using a mch strike sort of deck. I have also looked at the tournamnets and seen 3 that say poeple needed. However, if i enter, when will the tournament be played? Will it set a specific time because i am not allowed on at any point i want.
Thanks again to anyone who helps out

They happen as soon as enough people have joined.

You'll see 0-7 people waiting for one each of Expanded, Standard, and Theme tournaments. As soon as the 8th person joins, it starts.

Each tournament will take less than 90 minutes once it starts, but there is no guarantee of when that 8th person will join.

16 March 2019 - 12:44 AM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
So, if the 8th person joined, would it send a nitification?
Also, if i don’t find out and i’ve joined one, will they just play without me and will i get knocked out of the tournamnet really quickly?

16 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

SKBellmore

Junior Trainer

• SKBellmore
1) It would automatically start your match
2) Whenever a new round starts you are automatically put in it. It’s impossible to play without both players.
#TeamSobble FTW
Visit my deck thread!
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/70263-new-skbellmore’s-deck-thread/#entry622806

16 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
Oh, so it would wait until both players are on to do the match, that makes sense, thanks alot!

Edited by BomberBoy6578, 16 March 2019 - 02:16 AM.

16 March 2019 - 02:27 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Oh, so it would wait until both players are on to do the match, that makes sense, thanks alot!

The game only queues people who are currently running the game. You might switch away, but if you exit it, you're out.

16 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

SKBellmore

Junior Trainer

• SKBellmore
“Oh, so it would wait until both players are on to do the match, that makes sense, thanks alot!”

No. As soon as the next round starts, it automatically brings the players from whatever they’re doing to the match. The event will never wait.
#TeamSobble FTW
Visit my deck thread!

17 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

aaaaaaaak

Novice Trainer

• aaaaaaaak
I have one. Why does acerola sometimes leave damage counters on some pokemon when I play acerola?
Know your deck.

17 March 2019 - 11:21 PM

SKBellmore

Junior Trainer

• SKBellmore
It doesn’t actually leave the damage. It’s just a bug as far as I know.
#TeamSobble FTW
Visit my deck thread!