• Please log in to reply

02 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Deck 1:

Zeraora – Lightning – HP120
Basic Pokemon

[L] Crushing Claw: 20 damage. Discard a Special Energy from your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[L][C][C] Discharge: 50x damage. Discard all [L] Energy from this Pokemon. This attack does 50 damage for each card you discarded in this way.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 1

Okay, we get another lightning deck (still no fairy type deck in sight... *sight*).

Nothing too special here, A tier 2 max hitter. I like the discard options tho, as you don't have to discard all energies to kill a 50 or 100 HP mon. (as compared to Charizard, but that alteast got auto-energy and doesn't need to be ramped)

Deck 2:

Mewtwo – Psychic – HP120
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Mind Report
When you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may choose a Supporter card in your discard pile, show it to your opponent, and put it on top of your deck.

[P][C][C] Psychoshock: 70 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Here, I really love the anti-agility attack. Rapidash and Floatzel are annoying as flop recently, with Relentless Flame and Imperial Command beeing some of the most played decks in Theme Tournaments. Still, 70 damage does not crack them (both 100 HP), not even with +20 from Kukui.

The real question here is: what will the tier 1 mons of these decks be?

I'd really appreciate to see a Guardevoir in one of the decks.

I also hope for an escape rope comeback. It is seroiusly needed atm.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 02 March 2019 - 03:41 PM.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

02 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

GR0

Senior Trainer

• GR0

Actually, Zeraora's discard isn't optional just like Charizard: even if your opponent has only 50 or 100 HP you must still discard ALL Lightning energy (other types of energy remain though): it's literally the same wording besides the energy type and the word "more" (because unlike Charizard it doesn't have a base damage). So if you need to kill a 50 HP Pokemon, you still need to either discard all attached Lightning energy or do it in 3 turns with the first attack.

So, very likely, it's going to be bad in the Theme Deck. There are cards to make the discard inconsequential, but if they add those cards to the Theme Deck it's going to be miles above the others, so I doubt it. Sure, Theme Decks have been massively improved and are no longer piles of random cards but are actual decks, but there are still limits.

So yeah, the Zeraora deck's either going to be the best Theme Deck ever by miles, or quite mediocore. No middle way. No idea about the Mewtwo deck though, as that one's too splashable to make a prediction about the deck.

Edited by GR0, 02 March 2019 - 10:12 PM.

02 March 2019 - 10:35 PM

WaffleLycanroc

Rookie Trainer

• WaffleLycanroc
I am just really exited about how the flip-coins are gonna look like

03 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Rearden

Rookie Trainer

• Rearden
But keep in mind that the Mew two deck is Fire/Psychic that could mean is paired with this Incineroar:

[url="*****************************************************"][img]*****************************************************************************************[/img][/url] Strong Yell

ストロングエール Your Pokémon's attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).You can't apply more than 1 Strong Yell Ability at a time.

[url="*********************************************************"][img]**********************************************************************************[/img][/url][url="**************************************************************"][img]********************************************************************************************[/img][/url] Flamethrower

かえんほうしゃ 90 Discard an Energy from this Pokémon.

03 March 2019 - 01:12 AM

GR0

Senior Trainer

• GR0

Incineroar's VERY likely, but is also likely going to be difficult to get out as it will probably be a 2-2-1 line (fine for a normal deck, but very inconsistent for a Theme Deck, especially without Gladion which most likely won't be in). I don't see them putting it x2 because it's just a tech (though then again, they did put in 2x Pidgeot in the Blastoise deck, so...).

Edited by GR0, 03 March 2019 - 01:15 AM.

07 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

Actually, Zeraora's discard isn't optional just like Charizard: even if your opponent has only 50 or 100 HP you must still discard ALL Lightning energy (other types of energy remain though): it's literally the same wording besides the energy type and the word "more" (because unlike Charizard it doesn't have a base damage). So if you need to kill a 50 HP Pokemon, you still need to either discard all attached Lightning energy or do it in 3 turns with the first attack.

There is a possible difference, however; Charizard (TEU) requires [RR] for its attack and discards all [R] Energy attached to itself.  Zeraora requires [LCC] and discards all [L] Energy.  If the deck runs on multiple Type of Energy, you could attach two non-[L] Energy to Zeraora for the [C] requirements, then one [L] for the [L] requirements, and discard only the [L] to do 50.  Not super useful, but if the Theme Deck allows, a nice option.

I mean, Oldschool1990 never said "optional", but used the word "option".  Anyway, while not particularly useful for the Theme Format, Zeraora's first attack might be nice for Standard and/or Expanded.  Punching off those DCE's when you can't OHKO the Pokémon to which they are attached. :)

Edited by Otakutron, 07 March 2019 - 10:03 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)