Reduced Drop Ratio After Update

• Please log in to reply

27 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

Lunevra

Rookie Trainer

• Lunevra

Hello everyone, i'm kinda new both to the game and to the Forum. I'm glad to be here but since the last update, i noticed that something may be happened or maybe it's just a coincidence.

So, i do own a wide RL Cards Collection since the very first Set of the Game and, Last week i decided to jump on here and redeem all the codes i had Saved during all this time when buying new Boosters.

While i could find a lot of Rares, GX and even Team Up Cards in the first days, after the last Update i couldn't find a Single GX or interesting Card Anymore.
I open between 20-40 packs every day since my collection of codes is really huge, but it seems that since the update, the staff has lowered the drop ratio.

What do you think about? Did you notice something similar as well?

Thanks and Nice to meet you everyone!

27 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I don't know if they've made adjustments, but I doubt it.  It's not uncommon to go 10 or 15 packs without getting good cards.  It's particularly hard the last couple sets, when there are 200+ cards.

In the real world, as you're probably aware, you can expect a certain card count when opening booster packs, especially if they're from sealed boxes or cases.

But in PTCGO, there's a random element (RNG) that manages these things.  Think of it visually.  You've got a box of cards, but instead of opening them by yourself, there might be a dozen other players taking packs too.  Even if that box has 6 or 7 premium cards in it, someone else may be luckier at that moment.  Then you and many others go onto the next box.  Sometimes you're the lucky guy.  You might get 3 good cards out of 5 packs.  But sometimes not.  Overall, it seems to balance out, but those dry spells can drag on forever.

Edited by RobRatt, 27 February 2019 - 08:56 PM.

27 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Lunevra

Rookie Trainer

• Lunevra

Thank you very much for your answer Rob, and while i didn't only open 15-20 packs prior to build my doubt, you're probably right anyway  and i've just been so unlucky right there...

I built my ideal deck out of my TCG experience, but it looks like it will take a lot of time for me to gather all the cards needed to play as i wish to!  Also, most of the GX or Rare cards i have are not very popular to trade when you're trying to build a Deck on Tapu Lele GX. I will try to improve and play as much as i can to earn more booster.

Thank you very much again and nice to meet you anyway!

28 February 2019 - 03:25 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Thank you very much for your answer Rob, and while i didn't only open 15-20 packs prior to build my doubt, you're probably right anyway  and i've just been so unlucky right there...

I built my ideal deck out of my TCG experience, but it looks like it will take a lot of time for me to gather all the cards needed to play as i wish to!  Also, most of the GX or Rare cards i have are not very popular to trade when you're trying to build a Deck on Tapu Lele GX. I will try to improve and play as much as i can to earn more booster.

Thank you very much again and nice to meet you anyway!

If you're having trouble getting the cards you need, I'd suggest holding onto your packs and trading them whole- it makes high-value cards much faster to obtain.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

28 February 2019 - 03:54 AM

harshu

Elite Trainer

• harshu

I don't know if they've made adjustments, but I doubt it.  It's not uncommon to go 10 or 15 packs without getting good cards.  It's particularly hard the last couple sets, when there are 200+ cards.

In the real world, as you're probably aware, you can expect a certain card count when opening booster packs, especially if they're from sealed boxes or cases.

But in PTCGO, there's a random element (RNG) that manages these things.  Think of it visually.  You've got a box of cards, but instead of opening them by yourself, there might be a dozen other players taking packs too.  Even if that box has 6 or 7 premium cards in it, someone else may be luckier at that moment.  Then you and many others go onto the next box.  Sometimes you're the lucky guy.  You might get 3 good cards out of 5 packs.  But sometimes not.  Overall, it seems to balance out, but those dry spells can drag on forever.

I don't think it depends on other players opening or not does it ? It seems more like, the code is programmed to give a pack in the inventory and that pack is programmed to select 1 energy from that set, 4 commons and so on...

It would be incredibly complex and hard loaded on servers if all players were accounted for RNG. To me it seems mere Permutations/Combinations & Probability !!

If you have a source of information or something, I would be glad if you could provide, would love to read further.. :)

If you need any Deck help just visit this thread - The Best Decks in TCG - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/
If you are new, and looking for a Beginner's Guide, click the following topic, to get reach to a Helpful Guide. - New Player Guide - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/31931-new-player-guide/
Click the names, and you can reach those Topics :)

28 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

If you have a source of information or something, I would be glad if you could provide, would love to read further.. :)

We all know TPCi doesn't make anything Open Source, so can anybody be certain?  I only know from personal experience, opening several boxes for the last 34 or 35 sets (Online) that the distribution is fairly close to IRL boxes.  I don't save them, but I've made a tally with each set, to compare, and they're usually very close.

I'm guessing that most players think about booster packs as single purchases.  Anything is possible when you buy them randomly from a store shelf (or the game's Shop).  Yet, if you think in terms of sealed boxes, or cases of 6, which is how they're printed and distributed, it becomes more obvious how TPCi sees it.

All packs include a specified amount of Common, Uncommon, Rare, and Reverse Foil (and an Energy with the newer sets).  There seems to be a standard pattern with each set, both Online and off.

Is there any reason to think Online packs have a different "pull rate" than real world boosters?  That makes the most sense, where they would have programmed a specified amount of "good cards" to match (EX/GX, Full-art, Secret Rare).  The coding surely follows IRL to a certain degree.

Yes, it seems the packs are generated on the spot, but I don't imagine that it's totally random.  Otherwise, we'd hear stories of unbelievable pull rates, pack after pack, and we know that doesn't happen.  The major variable seems to be the number of players opening at a given time.

Edited by RobRatt, 28 February 2019 - 07:02 AM.

28 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

harshu

Elite Trainer

• harshu

We all know TPCi doesn't make anything Open Source, so can anybody be certain?  I only know from personal experience, opening several boxes for the last 34 or 35 sets (Online) that the distribution is fairly close to IRL boxes.  I don't save them, but I've made a tally with each set, to compare, and they're usually very close.

I'm guessing that most players think about booster packs as single purchases.  Anything is possible when you buy them randomly from a store shelf (or the game's Shop).  Yet, if you think in terms of sealed boxes, or cases of 6, which is how they're printed and distributed, it becomes more obvious how TPCi sees it.

All packs include a specified amount of Common, Uncommon, Rare, and Reverse Foil (and an Energy with the newer sets).  There seems to be a standard pattern with each set, both Online and off.

Is there any reason to think Online packs have a different "pull rate" than real world boosters?  That makes the most sense, where they would have programmed a specified amount of "good cards" to match (EX/GX, Full-art, Secret Rare).  The coding surely follows IRL to a certain degree.

Yes, it seems the packs are generated on the spot, but I don't imagine that it's totally random.  Otherwise, we'd hear stories of unbelievable pull rates, pack after pack, and we know that doesn't happen.  The major variable seems to be the number of players opening at a given time.

I agree on the part where you say it isn't totally random, and while your point might be correct since I have never observed an IRL booster box. Saying that I would like to add a theory by another player on a similar topic.

The credit goes to Bobix86, who found out method...

Although I can't seem to find the thread where bobix actually kind of increased his pull rates by waiting a certain amount of minutes before opening a booster pack. Ever since that thread, I have always followed the method and have pull rates about 1 every 3 packs something good on an average. (Yes I maintain an excel sheet to track my pull rates).

However, I can't claim if this works or not. Everything I say is just on observation and not real proof. While I do say it increases my average pulls than the normal pull rates people often define on internet for a booster pack..

Although the following is my wording of what meant in that thread, I will do my best to retain the original meaning of what he said -

According to Bobix86, the RNG kind of starts by selecting each set of rarity cards in a set and doing so it does in order, so first the commons, uncommons, and lastly the rares get selected. According to him, by increasing the amount of time he waited before opening the booster pack, would more likely push the RNG to the later cards of the set which are usually secret rares.

Of course he didn't have any proof again, neither do I, which is why all I am doing is mere speculation.. but this was according to him ! Worked for me so far, try it out yourself if you want and let me know what happens ( I usually wait around 8-12 minutes) for booster pack.

Edited by harshu, 28 February 2019 - 10:19 AM.

If you need any Deck help just visit this thread - The Best Decks in TCG - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/28694-the-best-decks-in-tcg/
If you are new, and looking for a Beginner's Guide, click the following topic, to get reach to a Helpful Guide. - New Player Guide - http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/31931-new-player-guide/

28 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Thanks for the tips @harshu.

After many packs, I haven't found any solid method, and don't think such a thing exists.

But, I have noticed that my "pull rate" for good cards is slightly better if....

...Step back from the "open another" button.  If you repeatedly open one after the other, your chances to get a GX are lower.  Take a breather during dry spells.

...Try opening when most North American players are sleeping.  That's where the majority of players are, and it does seem to help if you're opening a bunch during slow times.

Edited by RobRatt, 28 February 2019 - 08:32 PM.

01 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

harshu

Elite Trainer

• harshu

But, I have noticed that my "pull rate" for good cards is slightly better if....

...Step back from the "open another" button.  If you repeatedly open one after the other, your chances to get a GX are lower. 

Even I have noticed this and I myself never use this option at all.