Tournament / Event Matchmaking

• Please log in to reply

20 February 2019 - 03:12 AM

ArchMusher

Rookie Trainer

• ArchMusher

I'm fairly new to PTCGO, only been playing a couple months now, and I've been wondering about the way matchmaking works in tournaments. Do tournaments do matchmaking based on some kind of mmr or is it just the first 8 people in a lobby go at it?

Anytime I play a standard tournament I immediately get stomped in the first match, even though I seem to do just fine most of the time in VS standard. As for theme deck tournaments, I can usually pull out a few wins if I play the Imperial Command deck, since basically everyone else is playing either Charizard or Entei decks. If I just want to play a fun theme deck like Hidden Moon or Destruction Fang, I stand very little chance of winning even one game.

Should I just keep playing the same theme top tier decks over and over or if I keep losing will I eventually be matched with other lower tier players and decks? Also, am I going to have to wait until I can build really powerful meta deck before I can play in standard tournaments?

20 February 2019 - 03:23 AM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

Events are first come first served. There is no matchmaking. So you can get matched up against anyone at any skill level.

Id suggest just playing theme until you get a decent deck to enter into standard or expanded.

20 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

^This.

VS, on the other hand, does have a matchmaking system, which is why you do so much better there: you're being put against opponents who are roughly at your level.

P.S.- Welcome to the Putsgof! :)

Edited by SuperStone, 20 February 2019 - 04:25 PM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

20 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

ArchMusher

Rookie Trainer

• ArchMusher

Yeah, that's what I thought. It makes sense though since it makes it really fast to get a tournament started. Plus it's kind of like a really life tournament, anybody of any skill level could show up. Thanks for the tips guys. :)