strange theme deck results

• Please log in to reply

17 February 2019 - 05:26 AM

buddyglass

Junior Trainer

• buddyglass

So I've been playing with some of the newer/better theme decks for about a week or two now, and I just now realized you can see win/loss on a per-deck basis.  Given what people seem to think are the current "strongest" decks, the results are a little weird.  Granted, I've played two or three of them *way* more than the others, so maybe I just don't "get", say, Blazing Volcano.

Taken with a huge grain of salt, here are my win ratios:

Imperial Command: 65%  (62 games)

Storm Caller: 62% (89 games)

Relentless Flame: 53% (73 games)

Blazing Volcano:  35% (23 games)

Torrential Cannon: 32% (19 games)

Obviously this is going to depend *a ton* on the current mix of decks being played.  Just not the results I expected.  Again, maybe I haven't yet got the hang of BV.

17 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Otakutron

Veteran Trainer

• Otakutron

It is entirely possible that conventional wisdom is wrong on the matter.  It is also possible that your results are an outlier.  Keep testing, keep generating more data.  Just remember, "strange" results do not automatically invalidate the odds.  It is highly improbably you'll flip "heads"100 times in a row on a balanced, properly tossed coin... but it can happen, and each individual toss still has a 50-50 chance of being "heads" or "tails".  Sadly, that's about all I can remember from my stat classes. XP

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

17 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

If those stats also included the decks you faced each time (you'd need to compile that manually), they'd be more valuable.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

17 February 2019 - 04:47 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

One problem with win stats in deckbuilder is that they don't properly count concessions, and in general they aren't very reliable.  I wouldn't be too off-put by weird numbers therein- though there does seem to be a significant difference in your ratios.  

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

17 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

buddyglass

Junior Trainer

• buddyglass

If those stats also included the decks you faced each time (you'd need to compile that manually), they'd be more valuable.

I agree.  It's a shame they don't provide that level of detail.

17 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

buddyglass

Junior Trainer

• buddyglass

Small sample size, but, having participated in several tournaments playing Storm Caller, I'm like 5-0 against Torrential Cannon, maybe 1-1 against Relentless Flame, and 0-3 against Blazing Volcano.  All the BV matches went down to the wire, and they were all in either the 2nd round or the final match.