Needs Help Creating a Deck, BEGINNER

• Please log in to reply

17 February 2019 - 03:13 AM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

Can anybody help me make a deck? I've been looking around alot for helps, but I just dont seem to get the right requirements, most decks always have Tapu Lele GX, which I dont have, The first time I played, I was a beginner, and still when I came back, i'm still a beginner, not knowing how to make decks, Please help me!

I have NO exs.

Alolan Ninetails GX, Charizard GX, Darkrai GX, Golispod GX, Kommo-o GX, Kommo-o GX, Lycanroc GX, Sivally GX, Stakataka GX, Toxapex GX, Xernas GX.

It'd be appericated if somebody helps me!

17 February 2019 - 05:24 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I have NO exs.

Alolan Ninetails GX, Charizard GX, Darkrai GX, Golispod GX, Kommo-o GX, Kommo-o GX, Lycanroc GX, Sivally GX, Stakataka GX, Toxapex GX, Xernas GX.

It'd be appericated if somebody helps me!

If I had these GX's to choose from, and that was all, I'd be wondering what to do myself.  Most of them don't get the old heart pumping.

At least as important are the Trainers that you own.  You can monkey around with B-grade Pokémon, and still do fairly well, but not if you don't have a solid Trainer Engine to pull it together.

By chance, is the Alolan Ninetales GX the Fairy type?  And do you have at least a couple?  It works better with other GX combos (Zoroark, Buzzwole, Gardevoir), but someone might be able to make it work solo, or with non-GX support Pokémon.

What about the Golisopod GX?  Do you have more than one?

Have you thought about trying decks that don't include GX's?  There are some "cheaper" meta decks that you could play, with decent success.

Here are a couple deck lists (below) that are worth trying.  They've done well in recent tournaments.  But again, we don't know what other cards you have -- especially Trainers.  Take a look at these lists, if just for ideas.  Do you have many of these cards?

Passimian / Tapu Koko.  The hardest cards to get would be the Tapu Lele (non-GX) and Tapu Koko promos, but they're not all that expensive.

Spoiler

Granbull.  There's nothing super expensive in this deck.

Spoiler

Edited by RobRatt, 17 February 2019 - 12:28 PM.

17 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

The alolan ninetails GX is a water type

I can't do those both decks

I have a tapu koko GX

I have only 1 Golispod GX

And how am I supposed to find Grade-B pokemon?!

And tbh, What can I create a deck without GXS?

Edited by bowslonely, 17 February 2019 - 06:19 PM.

17 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

And how am I supposed to find Grade-B pokemon?!

I'm sorry if that term I used was confusing.  "B-grade" is not actually a Pokémon term.  It comes from the movie industry to describe a "low budget" film.

Here's that same sentence, edited:

You can monkey around with "low budget" Pokémon, and still do fairly well, but not if you don't have a solid Trainer Engine to pull it together.

Better?

The main point is that Trainers are the focal point of ANY deck.  It doesn't matter how strong your Pokémon are if you can't get your deck set up properly.  Don't let this slip by you.  You're going to need good Trainers as much, if not more, than decent Pokémon.  The good news is that most of them are relatively cheap, and readily available.

And tbh, What can I create a deck without GXS?

Neither of the example decks I gave you have a single GX in them.  And they're both proven winners.

There are several non-GX decks that are quite good.  But you're right, most of the best decks do include GX's.  But if we take a look at the GX's you've collected so far, there's really no consistent pattern that will make a good deck, especially since you only have one of each.

Alolan Ninetails GX  (Water)

Charizard GX  (Fire)

Darkrai GX  (Darkness)

Golispod GX  (Grass)

Kommo-o GX  (Dragon)

Lycanroc GX  (Fighting)

Sivally GX  (Colorless)

Stakataka GX  (Metal)

Toxapex GX  (Psychic)

Xernas GX  (Fairy)

See the problem?  Every one is a different Energy type, and there's really no way to throw them together.

I would suggest you look at some of the other forum posts here in the Deck Construction section.  Trust me, you're not alone.  There are many similar questions to yours, already answered.

If you haven't read them yet, look for any threads about combining two Mach Strike theme decks together.  These theme decks can be bought in the game's Shop with Tokens.  This Garchomp/Lucario deck, played in the Standard format, seems to do well enough for most new players.

I'm curious though.  Have you explored Theme Decks as an option?  That's the easiest way to start gaining Tokens, and even tradable packs in Events (tournaments).

I'll try to come back to this later if you have further questions.  Hopefully one of the better players might chime in if needed.

Edited by RobRatt, 17 February 2019 - 07:32 PM.

17 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

"I'm curious though.  Have you explored Theme Decks as an option>?  That's the easiest way to start gaining Tokens, and even tradable packs in Events (tournaments)."

Ok first off, I only have 3 theme decks, The normal one everybody gets, the kommo-o deck, and the rallying cry. They aren't really good.

2nd, I have only 288 trainer tokens, and I need 712 trainer tokens for both of those mach strike combined.

Edited by bowslonely, 17 February 2019 - 07:36 PM.

17 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Honestly, I earn hundreds of Tokens every day, just by playing, and many times with just Theme Decks.  I blow through a lot of them trading in the game (it costs Tokens).

Don't be disheartened.  It gets easier.

With your 288 Tokens, save up 212 more.  With those 500 Tokens, buy either Relentless Flame (Charizard/Nidoqueen) or Blazing Volcano (Entei/Blaziken).  I prefer Charizard myself.  And then you can start winning more, and buying more decks.  Pretty soon you'll find just the right one for your play style, and have enough to get two Mach Strike.

By the time you get several of these Theme Decks, you'll have a decent stockpile, be quite good, and can start winning Events (tournaments) for tradable packs.

Edited by RobRatt, 17 February 2019 - 09:28 PM.

19 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

Why though?

One of the discord users had said to save up until you get mach strike?

19 February 2019 - 12:42 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Why though?

One of the discord users had said to save up until you get mach strike?

One of the strongest budget decks in the Standard play mode is made with two copies of the Mach Strike theme deck.  In the theme mode, it's still pretty good, though no longer one of the best.  That's why Rob suggested getting other decks first.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

19 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

SuperStone is 100% right.  But you're welcome to accept any advice, or not.

If you're proficient enough, maybe you want to venture into the Standard format with Garchomp/Lucario (two Mach Strikes put together).  But even that is a tough match against some of the other meta decks.

If you're looking to do well in the Theme format, your chances are better with the two decks I recommended.  There are a couple more winners too, but those seem to be the safest bets.  JSYK, with Relentless Flame (Charizard), I've only lost one game to a Mach Strike deck (Garchomp), and that was very bad luck, with a handful of evolutions, and he started with Gumshoos.  Just lucky.

Edited by RobRatt, 19 February 2019 - 03:02 AM.

21 February 2019 - 10:35 PM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

I'm accepting your advice.

But, how am I supposed to collide 2 mach strikes, If I had them, then what?

21 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

bowslonely

Rookie Trainer

• bowslonely

SuperStone is 100% right.  But you're welcome to accept any advice, or not.

If you're proficient enough, maybe you want to venture into the Standard format with Garchomp/Lucario (two Mach Strikes put together).  But even that is a tough match against some of the other meta decks.

If you're looking to do well in the Theme format, your chances are better with the two decks I recommended.  There are a couple more winners too, but those seem to be the safest bets.  JSYK, with Relentless Flame (Charizard), I've only lost one game to a Mach Strike deck (Garchomp), and that was very bad luck, with a handful of evolutions, and he started with Gumshoos.  Just lucky.

I am accepting your advice,

however,

How am I supposed to collide those two mach strikes into one?

Edited by bowslonely, 21 February 2019 - 10:38 PM.

21 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

however,

When you're in the Deck Construction area, your best option is to type "Garchomp" into the Search window.  You'll find many ideas, tips, and even deck lists.  This has been asked and answered many times in the forum.

23 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

BomberBoy6578

Novice Trainer

• BomberBoy6578
When your starting a new deck, i always think that the best thing to do is go with your favourites and your favourites types. Put together a bunch of your favourites with the same types, add some good energy cards and trainers and test it out. There is almost always some way to make it work, or if it doesn’t you can just switch to other cards or other favourites as you get them. Or if it has a good base but doesn’t work then you change some small changes. Meanwhile, you do what you do here (which i have also done) and get some advice on good cards from other players. Also post your initial deck that you tried and they can tweak it. Good luck with your deck

24 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

Camkitsune

Rookie Trainer

• Camkitsune

however,

I haven't really built a 100% consistent variant of this deck myself, but considering how many I've played there is a very clear 'shell' that everyone uses as a starting point.

4x Gible (Ultra Prism) #96

4x Gabite (Ultra Prism) #98

4x Garchomp (Ultra Prism) #99

2x Riolu (Ultra Prism) #66

2x Lucario (Ultra Prism) #67

2x Pal Pad

2x Rescue Stretcher

4x Cynthia 

15x Fighting Energy*

*For every Double Colorless Energy you have, you can take out 2 Fighting Energy - It would be better to run four of them, you can pull them from Shining Legends and Sun & Moon Boosters.  If you don't already have four this should be your first objective,   Ideally you should be sitting at something like 7-8 fighting energy and 4 double colorless.

Based on my own experiences, using GX cards is only a good idea if they do something your deck can't already do on its own.  For a Garchomp deck, the Crimson Shadows (Midday) version is a poor choice, but the Team Up (Twilight) and Guardians Rising (Midnight) versions could both be potentially useful inclusions.  If you add either of those in, it'd be a good idea to include 2x Brooklet Hill and switch out some/all of your Ultra Prism Gibles for the Forbidden Light version.

Beyond that, the following cards you should also try to get at least two copies of:

-Guzma (You can get a copy from the Entei theme deck, which is one of the better ones and thus a good buy)

-Energy Lotto

-Pokrmon Communication

-Mysterious Treasure

-Rare Candy (Getting more than two will mean you can take out a Gabite or two)

-Order Pad

-Alolan Vulpix (Guardians Rising #21)

Hopefully this helps!

24 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I haven't really built a 100% consistent variant of this deck myself, but considering how many I've played there is a very clear 'shell' that everyone uses as a starting point.

4x Gible (Ultra Prism) #96

4x Gabite (Ultra Prism) #98

4x Garchomp (Ultra Prism) #99

2x Riolu (Ultra Prism) #66

2x Lucario (Ultra Prism) #67

2x Pal Pad

2x Rescue Stretcher

4x Cynthia 

15x Fighting Energy*

*For every Double Colorless Energy you have, you can take out 2 Fighting Energy - It would be better to run four of them, you can pull them from Shining Legends and Sun & Moon Boosters.  If you don't already have four this should be your first objective,   Ideally you should be sitting at something like 7-8 fighting energy and 4 double colorless.

Hopefully this helps!

As far as I can remember everyone starts the game with 4 DCE in collection (2 from XY and 2 from FCo) even if Starting theme decks are Blue, Red and Yellow.

Just in case this changed or I'm wrong, you can get a couple NxD DCEs in each "Rallying cry" deck you redeem.

Codes to get it involve "boundariescrossed", "plasmastorm", "plasmafreeze", "plasmablast", "legendarytreasures", "flashfire", "furiousfists", and "phantomforces" not sure if still all work but I remember using Plasma and LTr without problems.

As you can get it unlimited times, you can get 4 DCE redeeming the deck a couple times. (and at least 4 of every other card of the deck but Exploud)  To get 4 Exploud too you need to redeem it 4 times.

8 Fighting+4 DCE is a common amount for Garchomp decks.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

25 February 2019 - 12:34 AM

Eiyaki

Novice Trainer

• Eiyaki

Not sure if I'm right, but the deck in this video (look up darkintegralgaming's guide on how to make decks for standard) is pretty good. It's basically Alolan Exeggutor with a couple of synergies.

Edited by Eiyaki, 25 February 2019 - 12:34 AM.

"It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt."

-Grimsley

25 February 2019 - 02:52 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thank you everyone for trying to help out a fellow player. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!