Why so many two turn decks?

• Please log in to reply

09 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

OfficerShane

Novice Trainer

• OfficerShane
Sorry - sorry - sorry (to the forums mods)...

I am assuming you have completed all the Player vs. AI trainer challenges and unlocked all the free cards there... (Beat each Trainer 4x, max level each theme deck to 7/7 to unlock new cards and boosters, complete all three tiers of trainers, etc.)

Be sure to do your daily challenge (click your little level icon) and your Versus ladder dailies in the beginning (set it to theme or standard to start, not expanded/unlimited) to ****** tons of better cards. Once you have 500 tokens go to the shop and grab up a new theme deck (good ones are Mach Strike - Garchomp, Hidden Moon - Lunala, Imperal Command - Empoleon, Gears of Fire - Volcanion, Blazing Volcano - Entei, Battle ruler - Zygarde, Torrential Cannon - Blastoise, Relentless Flame - Charizard; in no particular order, whichever you prefer) and then max those to get more boosters - just to the 12/12 mark and unlock them for theme deck play in VS.

Keep switching decks and keep beating trainers you haven't with each deck until you unlock all these things. When you run out, hit VS and do more theme deck battles. This will also give you a ton of strategy ideas with decks you are already familiar with from the Trainer battles and there is no real chance of getting ******** on the first few turns as the opponent is playing on a fixed system.

Just a final point...

09 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Bro, bro, bro. Here is a little of advice.

Do you know how deck construction works? It seems that you just make decks because you have some card of that type that is powerful.

I mean, you can correct me if I am wrong. If all of those cards really make a good deck, then congrats. If you have been winning with that deck, then congrats. Otherwise, figure out how to make a good\strategic deck. There are many things on Google to show you how.

I notice that you have been improving the consistency of your deck. Every card in your deck should be important. Just don't throw in a couple of cards because you need a few more to hit 60.

The deck I have with these cards is doing pretty well so far. Against decks that give you at least like 2 turns it does quite well. It cant compete when I have only 1 turn to set up tho. I did base the deck off the fact I had some good cards. I feel like it has good coverage in the fact that it has pokemon that can be immune to basics, one that is immune to special energy, one for free retreat, one for crazy damage plus getting out energy, and one for a free switch/new attacker. It is by no means perfect but it is one of the best ones I have made based on what decks I used to make.

Firstly, if you are losing on the first turn (literally), often anyway, then you likely don't have enough Pokemon in your hand. Try to stay close to the 20/20/20 rule on that one. You can waiver a little but you need to be reassured that within 7 cards there should at least be one or two Pokemon. 

This is obvious, but I feel it should be mentioned, be sure to read and really think about what each card is saying. Take your time during your turn and explore all options before jumping to the conclusion of pressing attack for that victory hit - you may be disappointed. Read your opponents cards and try to see through their strategy a few turns in advance. Once in a while that easy kill in front of you with 20/130HP remaining could spell a downward cascade of lost Pokemon from your hand. Take a deep breath and evaluate all options and what options your opponent has that you can see...

There are times where I do have the pokemon out but after their first turn they have gone down to like 18 cards left in their deck and they are ready to do well over 150 damage per turn. I used to try to make decks with the 20/20/20 but that is when I had massive consistency issues. The deck I am currently maining is 7/37/16. I know that 37 my be a bit too much but its not like it is mostly supporters and 16 energy, for the most part, has been enough considering that pikachu and zekrom gx needs 6 to fully use its gx attack.

I would also say that, for most decks I play against, I know their strategy. The main issue would be that there are times where I have no way of stopping it. I will say that jolteon ex can stop a lot of the ones that rely on basic pokemon.

If you guys want I could post the deck so you can more properly judge it.

09 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

There are times where I do have the pokemon out but after their first turn they have gone down to like 18 cards left in their deck and they are ready to do well over 150 damage per turn. I used to try to make decks with the 20/20/20 but that is when I had massive consistency issues. The deck I am currently maining is 7/37/16. I know that 37 my be a bit too much but its not like it is mostly supporters and 16 energy, for the most part, has been enough considering that pikachu and zekrom gx needs 6 to fully use its gx attack.

That's actually not a bad ratio.  In fact, the energy count could go even lower- depending on the deck, even to 6, though probably not quite that far.  12 is likely about right.  It could also be good to add some pokemon back in- just making sure that they all help the strategy.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

09 February 2019 - 09:55 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

That's actually not a bad ratio.  In fact, the energy count could go even lower- depending on the deck, even to 6, though probably not quite that far.  12 is likely about right.  It could also be good to add some pokemon back in- just making sure that they all help the strategy.

I could try to cut back on energy a bit. The main reason I would hesitate would be that I would need 6 for the gx attack plus the main attack can put 3 energy on any pokemon I want. I could still cut back since I play thunder mountain which means the all of my pokemon would only need 2 energy to attack and not 3

10 February 2019 - 12:08 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

As SuM approached, there were people praising or bemoaning the death of fast setup decks in standard with the passing of Wally, FoGP, and the like.

Yet here we are.

The speed of the Standard format has slowed down immensely, especially after the rotation when Sycamore dropped.

Don't mistake the set-up time for the actual gameplay though. Yes, decks can still set-up on turn two, but that's how the game has been for the last 5 years. The major difference between the format in the ROS time was the OHKO potential that was usually available on turn 2 onwards, osmetimes even on turn 1.

In the S&M era we see a lot of decks that can withstand a hit and even run Acerola to negate damage entirely. The mid and late game has drastically slowed down compared to previous iterations of the format.

@OP:

As I mentioned above, a turn 2 set-up is nothing new. In fact, with the free cards you get from the Theme decks everyone can build a decent trainer line up to ensure that the deck is properly set-up by turn 2 / 3.

I should also point out that you are ow simply at an ELO range where you start to see more decks that are well designed. As you progress through the game your opponents will get better. It has nothing to do with the new sets that are being released, but rather that your decks / you became too good for the weaker opponents. If you continue to lose you'll eventually drop to a point where you'll fight the weak ones again.

It'S up to you: improve your deck and face the new challenge, or drop down to the bottom of the barrel and start all over again.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

11 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03
So far today I have been reminded why I only use one deck. I have been using two decks today, one is good against decks with low energy and one is good for taking pokemon out before they can ******** energy attacks. Whenever I use the first team I face decks that are designed to pump out energy and if I use the second deck I face low energy,fast set up decks like night march. This is really making me upset. I am sick and tired of having to watch some guy spend 4 minutes first turn knowing that I have already lost. I am thinking about just auto forfeiting this ** matchmaking until I can calm down enough to the point that I am not struggling to yell at this **. I would also appreciate it if I could not get that "it is just a game" nonsense. I can not control what hits that nerve. For reference, this is producing about the same feeling as when you are in a hurry in rush hour. In both cases I can not control what the game/life is throwing me and it seems that no matter what I try, the game/life says "*****. you choose wrong".

11 February 2019 - 01:00 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
If playing this feels like driving during rush hour to you, it might be time to call it quits. The whole point behind a game is to have fun and enjoy yourself. While it's inevitable to sometimes take games way too seriously and get angry (speaking from experience here), if all you ever get is frustration and stress then it defeats the purpose.

Go find a different way to blow some steam, this game just seems to pile up on your stress. Try something with little to no RNG involved, so you don't need to worry about results that are beyond your control. Or do something other than playing games instead, there's plenty of choices you might like.

You can always return if you feel like it. But right now it seems to me like you need a break.

Edited by Sakura150612, 11 February 2019 - 01:01 AM.

11 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

If playing this feels like driving during rush hour to you, it might be time to call it quits. The whole point behind a game is to have fun and enjoy yourself. While it's inevitable to sometimes take games way too seriously and get angry (speaking from experience here), if all you ever get is frustration and stress then it defeats the purpose.

Go find a different way to blow some steam, this game just seems to pile up on your stress. Try something with little to no RNG involved, so you don't need to worry about results that are beyond your control. Or do something other than playing games instead, there's plenty of choices you might like.

You can always return if you feel like it. But right now it seems to me like you need a break.

Probably right on that. I only have like 2 games that I switch between, pokemon tcg being one of them. At least on the other game a decent amount of the wins and loses is not based on rng match making and I can make a good effort to push for a win. I tend to struggle with pay to win games. I know that this game is not exactly a pay to win game but, you can still spend money to get a lot of the best cards and give yourself a decent advantage. I am mostly saying that because the other game is a lot less pay to win compared to pokemon tcg. I am but a poor college student so you can understand why I would not spend money on games and why I greatly dislike people who pay to have an advantage over me.

11 February 2019 - 02:12 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

The deck I have with these cards is doing pretty well so far. Against decks that give you at least like 2 turns it does quite well. It cant compete when I have only 1 turn to set up tho. I did base the deck off the fact I had some good cards. I feel like it has good coverage in the fact that it has pokemon that can be immune to basics, one that is immune to special energy, one for free retreat, one for crazy damage plus getting out energy, and one for a free switch/new attacker. It is by no means perfect but it is one of the best ones I have made based on what decks I used to make.

I would also say that, for most decks I play against, I know their strategy. The main issue would be that there are times where I have no way of stopping it. I will say that jolteon ex can stop a lot of the ones that rely on basic pokemon.

If you guys want I could post the deck so you can more properly judge it.

Actually you don't need 16 energy. One such pikarom deck from Japan iirc has the standard 12 energy. They used energy switch and acerola to better manage their energy after they fire off the GX. And ofc they have Thunder Mountain. You can search ptcgradio in yewtube for the decklist. It does contain the currently unreleased Dedenne GX though, but it shouldn't be hard to find replacements.

And yes... 20/20/20 is generally a bad idea once you're actually starting to get a little more serious.

13 February 2019 - 04:04 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Took a bit of time off. I think I might be ready to try again. I am thinking about making a whole new deck to get a fresh start. I opened up the remaining non trade-able packs and got two mimikyu and gengar gx's. I was considering putting them into a deck if they are a good card. I was thinking about using them with garbodor. Sort of like a really anti item deck where if they discard them it helps me and if they keep them it helps me. The gx attack looks pretty interesting and seems like it could be pretty cheeki in some cases. Any thoughts and ideas?

14 February 2019 - 12:38 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Does anyone want a thunder mountain? I have 3 of them for some reason

14 February 2019 - 01:29 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Does anyone want a thunder mountain? I have 3 of them for some reason

Try setting up a public trade for a different Prism Star Stadium. They are all more than less equivalent in price. That said, there's probably more demand for the newer ones than the others, so it's better if you ask for one of the pre-LOT Stadiums.

You can ask for a pack too, but you won't have any luck asking for a GUR, LOT or TUP pack. I'd say any of the 0.5 value packs is a fair exchange. Look at the price reference guide I gave you.