Sign in to follow this  
windresslee

New Beginner Standard deck?

windresslee

Hello, I m new here, just would like to hear some of your voice to the latest beginner deck build for standard, after plenty research, I think many has suggest to use budget 2x garchamp deck as a starter standard deck, but from theme deck game, i see most high winning rate is current blasting volcano deck.

What if, i buy 2x blasting volcano, do you all think fighting against > 2x garchamp has better advantage? 

Please share some idea., dont wan to simply spend my hard earn coin to buy wrong deck built.

Another question, is standard deck only allow consists of theme deck card only? or booster pack can be added into the option, i had read alot of ppl use zoro meta now, is it worth for me to buy that booster and build that meta???

Sakura150612

Hello,

As far as budget Standard decks go, the suggestion you found is probably the best one. Buying Match Strike twice will give you most of the cards you need to build a Standard Grachomp deck, as well as a lot of important staple cards that can be used in other decks (such as 4 copies of Cynthia).

As you mention, Blazing Volcano is currently the best deck in the Theme format. However, the same trick of buying the deck twice won't work as well, the reason being that Garchomp is significantly more viable in Standard than Blaziken. The problem is that Blaziken simply doesn't do enough damage. You'll never OHKO anything, and it doesn't do enough spread damage to justify using a Stage 2 that needs 3 energies to attack (Tapu Koko does the same thing for a single energy attachment). Garchomp, on the other hand, can potentially do 200+ damage for the same energy cost as Blaziken. Besides that, Lucario is better than Magcargo (assuming that you can keep a Garchomp in play at all times).

My recommendation to you is that you buy all three. Buy Mach Strike twice to build a Standard Garchomp deck, and buy only one copy of Blazing Volcano to play in the Theme format.

As to your question for the rotation, here's how it works. Every few months, a new set is released. The last set to be released was Lost Thunder, and the next one that's coming out soon is Team Up. Once a year, a few of the older sets rotate out of Standard. For example, as of the last rotation, all the sets older than the Sun and Moon Base Set have rotated into Expanded. The next time (somewhere in June/July, forgot the exact month), a portion of the older Sun and Moon sets will rotate out.

Currently, all the cards that have been printed in the SM Era are available in Standard. Besides that, any of the older cards that have had a reprint in a Standard set are also usable (for example, I'm allowed to use an old HGSS Double Colorless Energy because it has also been printed in the SM sets).

All of the cards you obtain from buying SM Era Theme Decks are currently playable in Standard, but if you decide to buy and older Theme Deck (such as Dark Hammer from the XY Era), most of those cards will be Expanded only (reprinted cards will still be usable).

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Upvote 1

SandaledOtter

Another question, is standard deck only allow consists of theme deck card only? or booster pack can be added into the option, i had read alot of ppl use zoro meta now, is it worth for me to buy that booster and build that meta???

Any card from the Sun and Moon sets (from SuM through the soon-to-be-released Team Up set) can be used to build a Standard deck.

All the cards from the ... oops, someone's ninjaing... OK, questions answered.

Sign in to follow this