Ranking-System

• Please log in to reply

12 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

mucci100

Rookie Trainer

• mucci100

We already have hidden ELOs. Can we tweak this a bit and introduce rankings? 

I mean there is nothing to do in this game! Dont get me wrong I love this game and I play it from time to time a lot, but there is realy nothing to archive!

I mean the only reason why I still play Overwatch, Leauge of Legends etc. is because of the ranking system, because it is fun to compete with other players!

Creating some more incentive for competitive oriented players to play the game!

Pokemon is one of the most popular franchises, and we get nothing but new expansions?

Just look at other games like hearthstone, magic arena...

This game could be so much better! 

12 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

This has been requested many times before (by myself as well) but from what people and the website says, this online game was meant to be a testing ground for the irl game. This game was never meant to be a competitive scene.

On the official download page, it even states that this client was is for practice play and collection digital card. So i really dont think they will implement ranks anytime soon.

Pokemon wants players to play irl and buy irl boosters to make money. To my knowledge they dont make anything from the online version (especially now since gems and ticket purchases has been removed). A lot of these other popular games like the 2 you mention are solely online based and thats where they make their money so they would put time into creating an environment where players will stay for as long as possible.

13 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Yeah, we have been campaigning for a proper ranking system since forever.

Honestly I think the problem is that the developers / decision makers ( I don't want to always put the blame on the devs, since they are only following the decision from the higher ups ) are afraid to change a running system.

Every other CCG/ TCG titles already had an established ladder system when it was released and honestly I can't imagine a competitive title in 2019 without a proper ranked ladder.

PTCGO, being one of the first major TCG titles out there (predating pretty much all of the other popular titles) never put much emphasis on the competitive aspect of the game.

Based on the way they treat us I firmly believe that they are afraid that a lot of casual players would be dissatisfied with a change to the reward / ladder structure.

The same company that didn't believe in a proper monetization strategy for a digital card game also failed to realize that players of all skill calibres are motivated by a proper ladder system, especially if said system can also be used to drive content on 3rd party platforms (i.e. Twtich).

I have lost all hope for any sort of skill based ladder system and it makes me rather sad to see a game with a dedicated community and so much potential go down the drain.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

29 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

nicoZTK

Rookie Trainer

• nicoZTK

We already have hidden ELOs. Can we tweak this a bit and introduce rankings? 

I mean there is nothing to do in this game! Dont get me wrong I love this game and I play it from time to time a lot, but there is realy nothing to archive!

I mean the only reason why I still play Overwatch, Leauge of Legends etc. is because of the ranking system, because it is fun to compete with other players!

Creating some more incentive for competitive oriented players to play the game!

Pokemon is one of the most popular franchises, and we get nothing but new expansions?

Just look at other games like hearthstone, magic arena...

This game could be so much better! 

Yes I feel you and I'm completely agree with you,this game has huge potential if this is just a test version of the irl TCG I don't see any future for this game,even if I think it could become the major TCG online in the scene.

29 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Yes I feel you and I'm completely agree with you,this game has huge potential if this is just a test version of the irl TCG I don't see any future for this game,even if I think it could become the major TCG online in the scene.

HGSS was released nearly 9 years ago, with codes for use in this game.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

29 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

HGSS was released nearly 9 years ago, with codes for use in this game.

JSYK, the first Code Cards didn't come in booster packs until Black & White (base set) which came out in early 2011.  I wasn't playing the Online app back then, but my understanding is that they added the HGSS cards to make it functional early on.  And back then, a Code Card could redeem any chosen pack from the Shop.  It was a couple years later when each code redeemed a specific booster.

Edited by RobRatt, 29 January 2019 - 09:36 PM.

29 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

JSYK, the first Code Cards didn't come in booster packs until Black & White (base set) which came out in early 2011.  I wasn't playing the Online app back then, but my understanding is that they added the HGSS cards to make it functional early on.  And back then, a Code Card could redeem any chosen pack from the Shop.  It was a couple years later when each code redeemed a specific booster.

Still, that's just a year after what I said. The online game has had 8 years, and needed to be fully playable at that point, as kids were paying money for those cards. The point being, we are no longer "early in development." What we have is what we have.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

30 January 2019 - 12:59 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

JSYK, the first Code Cards didn't come in booster packs until Black & White (base set) which came out in early 2011.

Aaaaaah so close. :unsure: They actually came first in Emerging Powers, the second B&W set.

Edited by SuperStone, 30 January 2019 - 01:51 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

30 January 2019 - 01:41 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Aaaaaah so close. :unsure: They actually came first in Emerging Powers, the second B&W set.

I've heard that several times.  And whatever dummy posted it on the internet is just that.

I bought 6 boxes of Black & White (base set) on the day of release.  ...pretty sure the release date was the first printing run.  :)  Each booster pack came with a code card.  ...all 216 of them.  I didn't redeem them until about 3+ years ago, but they all worked.  My collection proves that, since I've got B&W complete, and never traded for any of them.

Edited by RobRatt, 30 January 2019 - 01:50 AM.

30 January 2019 - 01:54 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I've heard that several times. And whatever dummy posted it on the internet is just that.

I bought 6 boxes of Black & White (base set) on the day of release. ...pretty sure the release date was the first printing run. :) Each booster pack came with a code card. ...all 216 of them. I didn't redeem them until about 3+ years ago, but they all worked. My collection proves that, since I've got B&W complete, and never traded for any of them.

How peculiar. B&W is the set I've singularly purchased the most of- and not a one of them had a code. (Though the tins might have- I don't remember. If they did I didn't save them.) Maybe they just did it for booster boxes?

Edited by SuperStone, 30 January 2019 - 01:55 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

30 January 2019 - 02:50 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

How peculiar. B&W is the set I've singularly purchased the most of- and not a one of them had a code. (Though the tins might have- I don't remember. If they did I didn't save them.) Maybe they just did it for booster boxes?

I'm 100% positive that all of my B&W Base code cards worked.  For many years, long before there was a PTCGO, I've always bought a minimum of 6 boxes, always on the very first day of release (direct from a distributor).

Sorry for repeating myself, but as I mentioned above, my set is complete, and so is my son's, from these B&W code cards.  I still have 15-20+ of all the Commons, etc.  And never had to trade for any of them.

I'm not quite sure what to think of your experience.  Maybe there were other print runs (after the release date) that didn't include code cards.  But that seems weird.  I've also gotten B&W codes since, and have even given a few out, posted here in the forum.

Edited by RobRatt, 30 January 2019 - 03:12 AM.

30 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Now that's just weird.  And we're not the only people with this question: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/35176-do-black-white-base-set-boosters-contain-code-cards/

...Regional difference, maybe?  :blink: The closest thing to an official reference I can find is a picture on the FAQ page about code redemption, which happens to have a B&W booster in the collection.  It doesn't even guarantee it was code-redeemed, though that's implied.

So... some have 'em, and some don't... and we've both consistently been on one side of the divide, despite separate purchase times...  Hm.

Edited by SuperStone, 30 January 2019 - 06:35 PM.