Sign in to follow this  
ABeezy13

Looking for guidance in multiple areas - Please help :)

ABeezy13

Hey all,

So I have been playing the trainer challenges and I understand how the game is played and using the decks available in the trainer challenge I have no problem. I am trying to get all stars on all levels to get the bonus packs possible.

From here is where I get a bit confused and stuck going forward. I realize this specific topic spans across multiple sections but there wasn't like a "new person" section or "general forum" I will just ask all of my questions below:

• I have opened some of my packs and have a handful of cards but I have no idea what cards I should be constructing a deck with, is there any kind of good templates or guides available online that go into great detail on building a "competitive deck"? Basically I know nothing about deck building. I really want to be able to have the knowledge to build my own deck that pleases me but also wouldn't get destroyed by everything

• After the trainer challenges are complete and I have received all the packs possible how am I supposed to obtain more cards outside of trading? (I won't even ask about trading right now because from reading on that on these forums its confusing).

• How do I obtain more tokens and how do I get tickets? When I have tokens what should I spend them on? Booster Packs? Decks? Combination?

• When I go to versus mode and play under "theme" I get absolutely wrecked in the few games I have played, any suggestions as to why? Also what are the differences between "standard" "expanded" and "legacy" and when should I play them?

• As someone who was familiar with the cards from way back in the late 90's I am not sure what some of these GX cards are or the like. I only remember common (circle), uncommon (diamond) and rare (star) cards, and now there are some orange stars, etc. Is there somewhere that breaks down all the different cards in good detail or can someone help explain?

• How active is the community (within the app)? Are there a large amount of people who religious play Pokemon TCG Online? I am a huge large community guy.

I used to love collecting the physical cards when I was young way back in the late 90's so this game is hitting me right in the feels, and I really enjoy the actual card game itself but I want to make sure I am playing this to its full capability and not wasting time with pointless game modes or spending any in game tokens or tickets on silly stuff.

I am sorry for such a long, long post but really looking for some help as I want to keep going with this app/game! Any information and advice, tips, tricks, are GREATLY appreciated. As once I am done with 4 staring all challenges in gold, platinum, and the city championship I will be lost on what to do.

SandaledOtter

Hey all,

So I have been playing the trainer challenges and I understand how the game is played and using the decks available in the trainer challenge I have no problem. I am trying to get all stars on all levels to get the bonus packs possible.

From here is where I get a bit confused and stuck going forward. I realize this specific topic spans across multiple sections but there wasn't like a "new person" section or "general forum" I will just ask all of my questions below:

1. I have opened some of my packs and have a handful of cards but I have no idea what cards I should be constructing a deck with, is there any kind of good templates or guides available online that go into great detail on building a "competitive deck"? Basically I know nothing about deck building. I really want to be able to have the knowledge to build my own deck that pleases me but also wouldn't get destroyed by everything

2. After the trainer challenges are complete and I have received all the packs possible how am I supposed to obtain more cards outside of trading? (I won't even ask about trading right now because from reading on that on these forums its confusing).

3. How do I obtain more tokens and how do I get tickets? When I have tokens what should I spend them on? Booster Packs? Decks? Combination?

4. When I go to versus mode and play under "theme" I get absolutely wrecked in the few games I have played, any suggestions as to why? Also what are the differences between "standard" "expanded" and "legacy" and when should I play them?

5. As someone who was familiar with the cards from way back in the late 90's I am not sure what some of these GX cards are or the like. I only remember common (circle), uncommon (diamond) and rare (star) cards, and now there are some orange stars, etc. Is there somewhere that breaks down all the different cards in good detail or can someone help explain?

6. How active is the community (within the app)? Are there a large amount of people who religious play Pokemon TCG Online? I am a huge large community guy.

I used to love collecting the physical cards when I was young way back in the late 90's so this game is hitting me right in the feels, and I really enjoy the actual card game itself but I want to make sure I am playing this to its full capability and not wasting time with pointless game modes or spending any in game tokens or tickets on silly stuff.

I am sorry for such a long, long post but really looking for some help as I want to keep going with this app/game! Any information and advice, tips, tricks, are GREATLY appreciated. As once I am done with 4 staring all challenges in gold, platinum, and the city championship I will be lost on what to do.

1. This is the deck construction forum, I'm sure there are people and posts that will help. Know that the 20/20/20 format used by most theme decks is BAD. That's too much energy except for a few exceptions, and too few trainers. Probably too many pokemon, too.

2,3. You can play versus mode, starting with Versus Theme, to get tokens, tickets, and cards. The first tokens should be used to buy better theme decks. Keep playing the daily challenges, which will move to versus- and event-only.

4. The best theme decks right now are the most recent ones, from Sun and Moon (SuM) onward. The free ones you get are not very good at this point, though they were very good when first released. People will mostly use those new decks, and they'll beat the older ones easily.

In your theme decks, there are certain pokemon that are essentially junk. They are weak, without any abilities, and don't evolve into anything better. Try to not play those when you figure out which they are.

The first Versus games you play will be with a hidden rating that puts you somewhere in the middle. When you lose these, you drop down until you start winning. The rating being hidden causes some confusion, but it updates as you play, and tries to match you against opponents of similar ability. It never looks at your cards, but having better cards can help you improve, if you know how to use them.

The Standard format is currently all SuM series cards, from the base Sun and Moon set through Lost Thunder, and soon to add the Tag Team set.

Expanded includes all that, and adds in the XY and Black and White series sets.

Legacy is just the oldest cards, Heart Gold and Soul Silver, with Black and White. There are three pokemon from XY that are valid in Legacy due to dates and such.

(note: if a card is exactly the same as an older/newer version, it can be used in place of that card.)

With the cards you have from the non-SuM theme decks, you can build something for Expanded, but there are some rarities you won't see without trading.

New cards from SuM theme decks will build Standard decks, but you're more likely to run into decks copied from the latest real-world tournaments.

5. The cards are still broken down by the same rarities, but there are extra-rare cards. The orange star in the game is labeled "rare holo." That's not exactly right, though it might only be due to cards being mis-classified, I'm not sure. The cards themselves have black or white stars in most cases, because, well, there are varying rarities even then. These include the full art, rainbow, gold foil, and even just reverse holo cards. They look nice, but most have less-rare variants that are functionally identical.

Edited by SandaledOtter
  • Upvote 2

ABeezy13

1. This is the deck construction forum, I'm sure there are people and posts that will help. Know that the 20/20/20 format used by most theme decks is BAD. That's too much energy except for a few exceptions, and too few trainers. Probably too many pokemon, too.

2,3. You can play versus mode, starting with Versus Theme, to get tokens, tickets, and cards. The first tokens should be used to buy better theme decks. Keep playing the daily challenges, which will move to versus- and event-only.

4. The best theme decks right now are the most recent ones, from Sun and Moon (SuM) onward. The free ones you get are not very good at this point, though they were very good when first released. People will mostly use those new decks, and they'll beat the older ones easily.

In your theme decks, there are certain pokemon that are essentially junk. They are weak, without any abilities, and don't evolve into anything better. Try to not play those when you figure out which they are.

The first Versus games you play will be with a hidden rating that puts you somewhere in the middle. When you lose these, you drop down until you start winning. The rating being hidden causes some confusion, but it updates as you play, and tries to match you against opponents of similar ability. It never looks at your cards, but having better cards can help you improve, if you know how to use them.

The Standard format is currently all SuM series cards, from the base Sun and Moon set through Lost Thunder, and soon to add the Tag Team set.

Expanded includes all that, and adds in the XY and Black and White series sets.

Legacy is just the oldest cards, Heart Gold and Soul Silver, with Black and White. There are three pokemon from XY that are valid in Legacy due to dates and such.

(note: if a card is exactly the same as an older/newer version, it can be used in place of that card.)

With the cards you have from the non-SuM theme decks, you can build something for Expanded, but there are some rarities you won't see without trading.

New cards from SuM theme decks will build Standard decks, but you're more likely to run into decks copied from the latest real-world tournaments.

5. The cards are still broken down by the same rarities, but there are extra-rare cards. The orange star in the game is labeled "rare holo." That's not exactly right, though it might only be due to cards being mis-classified, I'm not sure. The cards themselves have black or white stars in most cases, because, well, there are varying rarities even then. These include the full art, rainbow, gold foil, and even just reverse holo cards. They look nice, but most have less-rare variants that are functionally identical.

1. Thanks, I realize that but I wasn't sure where to put this topic and I realize part of my questions are relating to deck construction. Thank you for those tips, is there anywhere I can view good decks examples on line besides asking questions here?

2,3. Thanks for the info on these two. Right now it looks as if there are two theme decks, so just buy one of those and played themed matches using said "purchased deck" to hopefully win matches and get more tokens/tickets/cards, correct?

4. Thank you for the info on this!

5. Thank you for that as well.

One new question I do have as I continue to beat all these trainer challenges. 

New 1. I have a boat load of packs from beating these trainer challenges, should I open these and add to my collection to help build decks in the future? (I opened a few when I first started but I have a huge abundance now that I have not opened.) Or should I hold off to trade? I read something on these forums about trading packs but the trade market I know nothing about and is confusing to me. I just want to do what's best for the long term and keeping the game fun and me coming back.

rememberevery

The packs you receive from those challenges are trade-locked, so you'd might as well open them. Aside from some daily challenge rewards at level 16 and onward, as well as tournament prizes, all packs you receive will be trade-locked.

RobRatt

You seem to be asking intelligent questions, more than the average new player.  But so you know, most of this has been asked and answered many times here in the Forum.  It's a bit inconvenient, I know, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge if you take the time to look.

is there anywhere I can view good decks examples on line besides asking questions here?

The first reference source you should use is right here on the main Pokémon site.  The winning decks from major tournaments will give you great templates, and ideas.  These results can be found at >Play Pokémon Events, in the side bar.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/championship-series-event-results/

There are other online resources if you google them.  Maybe try 60cards (pay site), SixPrizes (pay site), or Charizard Lounge for strategy guides and deck ideas.

Again though, seeing what is currently winning (free, here at Pokémon) is the best choice.

I have a boat load of packs from beating these trainer challenges, should I open these and add to my collection to help build decks in the future? (I opened a few when I first started but I have a huge abundance now that I have not opened.) Or should I hold off to trade? I read something on these forums about trading packs but the trade market I know nothing about and is confusing to me. I just want to do what's best for the long term and keeping the game fun and me coming back.

If I remember correctly, all of the boosters you're winning in the Trainer Challenge are trade-locked, meaning they can't be traded anyway.  Just about everything the game gives out for free will be trade-locked, including the boosters and the cards within them.

There are 3 primary ways to get boosters for trading:

-- Entering the code cards from physical booster packs.  These code cards can also be bought separately from 3rd party, secondary market sites (i.e. online card shops).

-- Placing 1st thru 4th in any of the in-game Events (tournaments).

-- The Knockout Daily Challenge gives a booster once you're at Level 16.

Under each booster pack, there are 2 numbers.  The ones on the left are tradable packs, and the ones on the right (with the padlock symbol) are trade-locked packs (either free bonus, or purchased with free Tokens).

You can safely open all of the trade-locked packs.  There's nothing else you can do with them.

When opening packs, the trade-locked ones are always opened first, so don't let that confuse or worry you.  One note however, is to be careful if you have trades in Public Offers.  When you've posted a trade, those packs are also marked trade-locked, so you'll want to be aware.

Other than that, you should save all tradable packs for future needs.  The only exceptions might be if you're a collector (of sets), or the set is brand new and you want to get a basic supply of Trainers, etc.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 2

ABeezy13

You seem to be asking intelligent questions, more than the average new player.  But so you know, most of this has been asked and answered many times here in the Forum.  It's a bit inconvenient, I know, but you'll gain a lot of knowledge if you take the time to look.

The first reference source you should use is right here on the main Pokémon site.  The winning decks from major tournaments will give you great templates, and ideas.  These results can be found at >Play Pokémon Events, in the side bar.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/championship-series-event-results/

There are other online resources if you google them.  Maybe try 60cards (pay site), SixPrizes (pay site), or Charizard Lounge for strategy guides and deck ideas.

Again though, seeing what is currently winning (free, here at Pokémon) is the best choice.

If I remember correctly, all of the boosters you're winning in the Trainer Challenge are trade-locked, meaning they can't be traded anyway.  Just about everything the game gives out for free will be trade-locked, including the boosters and the cards within them.

There are 3 primary ways to get boosters for trading:

-- Entering the code cards from physical booster packs.  These code cards can also be bought separately from 3rd party, secondary market sites (i.e. online card shops).

-- Placing 1st thru 4th in any of the in-game Events (tournaments).

-- The Knockout Daily Challenge gives a booster once you're at Level 16.

Under each booster pack, there are 2 numbers.  The ones on the left are tradable packs, and the ones on the right (with the padlock symbol) are trade-locked packs (either free bonus, or purchased with free Tokens).

You can safely open all of the trade-locked packs.  There's nothing else you can do with them.

When opening packs, the trade-locked ones are always opened first, so don't let that confuse or worry you.  One note however, is to be careful if you have trades in Public Offers.  When you've posted a trade, those packs are also marked trade-locked, so you'll want to be aware.

Other than that, you should save all tradable packs for future needs.  The only exceptions might be if you're a collector (of sets), or the set is brand new and you want to get a basic supply of Trainers, etc.

Thank you Robratt for all the information, that helps me greatly! I will be sure to check out the sites your provided as well as the link to the page here about decks!

In regards to all the booster packs you hit that spot on, I went back and looked and the 15 packs that I have are all "locked" so I cannot trade, so I am opening them now. With that being said why are some cards that are common and uncommon completely shinny/foil/rainbow or whatever you want to call it. Not the Pokemon picture itself but the entire card. For example I just got a common Starly and the card is a rainbow foil.

In terms of collecting how you mentioned, is there some type of full checklist somewhere that I can look at the cards I have and need? Preferably somewhere that links with my account and updates the cards I have (don't want to do a manual one). I do like collecting so would be cool to see what I got and how many.

One last question for this post, for now - I am sure this is talked about a million times but what are these GX cards? What is the best way to learn about them, if there is a manual or somewhere on this site that goes over it in great detail?

I am sure I willl have more questions as I go but that's it for now! Thanks again for your response!

EDIT: Oh... any speaking of deck building before I check out the links and sites you provided is it best to build a deck with all one type of pokemon? Ex water deck, lightning deck, etc. Or is it best too mix two types? Three? 

Edited by ABeezy13

RobRatt

With that being said why are some cards that are common and uncommon completely shinny/foil/rainbow or whatever you want to call it. Not the Pokemon picture itself but the entire card. For example I just got a common Starly and the card is a rainbow foil.

It's been this way for several years.  Each of the Commons, Uncommons, and Rares have a reverse foil version, like you've mentioned, where the entire card is foil.  Collecting in the Online game isn't so bad, but it's a booger in the real world.

The older EX's have a regular version (lower number, half art) and a full-art version.

The newer GX cards can have a regular version (lower number), a full-art version (which has a plain looking background), and a Secret Rare version (after set number, and often called Rainbow Rare).

Many of the Trainers and Energy, at least in the newer sets, can be the regular card, or a nicer full-art version, or even a Secret Rare (after set number, and gold colored).

...Gotta Catch 'em All.

In terms of collecting how you mentioned, is there some type of full checklist somewhere that I can look at the cards I have and need? Preferably somewhere that links with my account and updates the cards I have (don't want to do a manual one). I do like collecting so would be cool to see what I got and how many.

You don't have to go any further than PTCGO (the game).  If you look in your Collection (2nd button), you can see what cards you have.  By checking the Show Not Owned box, you can see what you're missing.  There are Filters available (the button) for just about everything you can imagine.

Also, besides just being able to search for Pokémon, you can type in keywords and text for Attacks, Abilities, etc.  This makes finding those "where the heck is it?" cards much easier.

I am sure this is talked about a million times but what are these GX cards? What is the best way to learn about them, if there is a manual or somewhere on this site that goes over it in great detail?

GX cards are basically the next generation of EX cards, which first came out about 15 years ago.  Unlike many of the powerful Basic EX's though, they normally have to evolve in stages (probably what you remember from days of old).

If you haven't read the basic rules for a long time, you should check out the TCG Rulebook.  It describes many of the details of card design.  It can be found here on the Pokémon site (on the Play Pokémon Events page, finding Rules and Resources in the sidebar).  It's a PDF file that you can save to your device, and should be essential reading for any new(er) player.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/about/tournaments-rules-and-resources/

EDIT: Oh... any speaking of deck building before I check out the links and sites you provided is it best to build a deck with all one type of pokemon? Ex water deck, lightning deck, etc. Or is it best too mix two types? Three?

It's best to stick with one or two Energy types.  Usually just one is preferred.  It totally depends on the strategy of your deck.  There are always Double Colorless, Rainbow Energy, etc. if you throw in some oddball combinations.  Take a peek at those Regionals winners to see some good examples and variations.  Keep in mind though, that some cards are a different Energy type, but are included in deck for their Abilities (e.g. Tapu Lele GX), or are just a Tech Card.

P.S.  I'm starting to see why everyone keeps saying we need a better tutorial. :)

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 1

ABeezy13

It's been this way for several years.  Each of the Commons, Uncommons, and Rares have a reverse foil version, like you've mentioned, where the entire card is foil.  Collecting in the Online game isn't so bad, but it's a booger in the real world.

Ok cool thank you that makes sense. Just was curious, as I see I have a few versions of both they are the exact same except for the "foil" part.

The older EX's have a regular version (lower number, half art) and a full-art version.

The newer GX cards can have a regular version (lower number), a full-art version (which has a plain looking background), and a Secret Rare version (after set number, and often called Rainbow Rare).

Many of the Trainers and Energy, at least in the newer sets, can be the regular card, or a nicer full-art version, or even a Secret Rare (after set number, and gold colored).

...Gotta Catch 'em All.

GX cards are basically the next generation of EX cards, which first came out about 15 years ago.  Unlike many of the powerful Basic EX's though, they normally have to evolve in stages (probably what you remember from days of old).

Is there an easy way for me to tell which ones I have? Regular vs secret vs rainbow? I don't have an example to really compare the difference of said card. That makes sense tho what GX cards are. I have a few that I got from packs and I think I actually have an old EX card somehow too...

You don't have to go any further than PTCGO (the game).  If you look in your Collection (2nd button), you can see what cards you have.  By checking the Show Not Owned box, you can see what you're missing.  There are Filters available (the button) for just about everything you can imagine.

Also, besides just being able to search for Pokémon, you can type in keywords and text for Attacks, Abilities, etc.  This makes finding those "where the heck is it?" cards much easier.

Sweet thank you, I found that and that is certainly helpful!!!

If you haven't read the basic rules for a long time, you should check out the TCG Rulebook.  It describes many of the details of card design.  It can be found here on the Pokémon site (on the Play Pokémon Events page, finding Rules and Resources in the sidebar).  It's a PDF file that you can save to your device, and should be essential reading for any new(er) player.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/about/tournaments-rules-and-resources/

It's best to stick with one or two Energy types.  Usually just one is preferred.  It totally depends on the strategy of your deck.  There are always Double Colorless, Rainbow Energy, etc. if you throw in some oddball combinations.  Take a peek at those Regionals winners to see some good examples and variations.  Keep in mind though, that some cards are a different Energy type, but are included in deck for their Abilities (e.g. Tapu Lele GX), or are just a Tech Card.

P.S.  I'm starting to see why everyone keeps saying we need a better tutorial. :)

Awesome thanks I will read that over and check out card design etc. And thanks for the deck building tip, I figured one or two energy types was the way to go. I do thing a better tutorial is necessary. For anyone who wants to play and learn more then just the basics! With that being said I have three more new questions to ask. Hope I am not a bother and that its ok to use this thread.

1. When should I enter tournaments? I assume its best to use theme for now... Also in regards to when... if I do and the players aren't full what if the tournament fills up and I am not around to play, how does that work? (I do apologize if this is all covered somewhere)

2. From doing a bunch of versus matches I have accumulated 800 more tokens so far.. should I spend these on new decks? Should I buy as many decks as I can when my tokens allow for it?

3. If I am able to build my own deck with all the cards I accumulate should I use it in standard play or is it safe to say I will get destroyed by my competition?

SuperStone

Is there an easy way for me to tell which ones I have? Regular vs secret vs rainbow? I don't have an example to really compare the difference of said card. That makes sense tho what GX cards are. I have a few that I got from packs and I think I actually have an old EX card somehow too...

If the GX has color in the background, it's 'normal.'  If it doesn't, it's 'full art' (they still call it that, even though it makes no sense with GXs), and if it's got swirls and refracts light to make rainbow lines, it's 'rainbow rare', which is just another name for secret rare.

• Upvote 1

SandaledOtter

If the GX has color in the background, it's 'normal.'  If it doesn't, it's 'full art' (they still call it that, even though it makes no sense with GXs), and if it's got swirls and refracts light to make rainbow lines, it's 'rainbow rare', which is just another name for secret rare.

Since the OP called the foil "rainbow," let's be especially clear there:

The Rainbow Rare cards show the outline of the art from the Full Art variant, but are colored entirely in rainbow. The foil effect is in addition to the Rainbow coloring.

There are just a few pokemon which ALSO have a Gold colored Secret Rare (Solgaleo GX is one).

There is just barely some justification to the name "Full Art" as opposed to the "Regular Art" variant:

If you look closely at the top and bottom of the Regular Art card, which has background art in the picture, you'll see solid bars of energy-color at the top and bottom. These cover the background, but the pokemon itself may partly obscure them. That stops them being full art, though they have more detailed art than the FA does.

Some also are Promo versions, denoted by the word "PROMO" printed on the rarity star. They might have any of the types of art, including alternate Regular Art, and most (not all!) are functionally identical to the ones in sets.

Best bet to see these is to go into your Collection, check the "show not owned" box, and filter for GXs.

• Upvote 2

Eiyaki

• I have opened some of my packs and have a handful of cards but I have no idea what cards I should be constructing a deck with, is there any kind of good templates or guides available online that go into great detail on building a "competitive deck"? Basically I know nothing about deck building. I really want to be able to have the knowledge to build my own deck that pleases me but also wouldn't get destroyed by everything

In Standard, these are the cards you MUST have in order to be successful:

4 Cynthia

3 Lillie

3 Guzma

4 Ultra Balls

1-2 Field Blower

1-2 Rescue Stretcher

and 2-3 Stadiums.

Other useful cards are:

P. Elm's lecture (search your deck for 2 basics- up to 60HP)

Nest ball

Timer ball

Rare candy (To jump over middle stages and accelerate the deck)

Friend ball (most of the time to get a Lele-GX)

P Kukui (to achieve 1HKO)

Switch and/or Escape rope

Acerola

Tate & Liza

Escape board (on decks with a lot of 1 energy retreat cost)

Acrobike (to accelerate+thin the deck, usually in decks that benefit from recovering (mainly) energies from discard) Sightseer too

Max potion (to heal in low cost of attack decks)

Enhanced hammer (to slow down opponent a bit)

Judge (disruption for decks with abilities to draw (Zoroark GX))

Pal pad (to recover supporters, specially if the strategy is based on it (e.g. Garchomp)

Weakness policy

and also cards such as

Mysterious Treasure (for psychic type decks)

Beast Ball (for decks centering around Ultra Beasts)

Kiawe (for fire type decks)

Mina and Diantha (for fairy type decks)

Zinnia (for dragon type decks)

Thanks to Chasista for this guide!

Anyway, once you've gotten the basics down, go to the deck builder and turn 'show not owned'. You may not have all the cards right away but don't worry, as you can still trade most of these cards for packs you won in tournaments. Then, choose a GX or powerful stage one/two pokemon. Analyze the card you just picked. Does it need a lot of energy? Does it require a certain set of cards to be drawn? Does it require more HP?

For example, take Lunala GX. Its attack requires 4 psychic energy (which is a lot), so I could run a 3-3 Malamar (which means you have 3 Inkay (basic) and 3 Malamar (stage 1)) line. And since it can move energy to other pokemon, I could also give it a few max potions to heal itself right up with no penalty.

After you've gotten your main attacking pokemon some friends, it's time to set up your trainers with some of the cards above and put some energies in the deck. When you're finished, you should have about 12-15 pokemon, 28-32 trainers, and 3nergy cards.

When you're done making the deck, make sure to test the deck against the AI. Win or lose, make sure to take notes on how to make your deck better. Also, at the end of matches, go to the bottom left of the victory/defeat screen to see your stats. Right next to your opponent's side, there is an eye icon. Press it, and you can see their deck. Later on, people get smarter and decide to hide the deck list, so take advantage of that. Back to the point, press 'Export Deck' and you'll get a wall of text when you put into a word processing unit. Save it for later learning.

• After the trainer challenges are complete and I have received all the packs possible how am I supposed to obtain more cards outside of trading? (I won't even ask about trading right now because from reading on that on these forums its confusing).

Other ways of getting cards are with booster packs from the shop or by using the cards in theme decks. However, buying booster packs is time consuming. Booster packs are also not guaranteed to give you any of the cards you want, further increasing the time needed to create a deck. Therefore, you will need to learn how to trade in this game.

As many have said before, winning tournaments to earn booster packs is one of the most reliable ways to get the cards you want. After you've gotten a sufficient amount of packs, click on the top right icon to access the chat. Press the plus symbol to find a chat room that says something like 'trading post'. In there, say something like 'will trade packs for (cards)'. While trading, note that 1 pack is worth about two cards or about half a GX.

Anyway, that's all the time I have today, folks! Hope I answered some of your questions.

Edited by Eiyaki
  • Upvote 1

RobRatt

After you've gotten a sufficient amount of packs, click on the top right icon to access the chat. Press the plus symbol to find a chat room that says something like 'trading post'. In there, say something like 'will trade packs for (cards)'. While trading, note that 1 pack is worth about two cards or about half a GX.

There was some very good advice given in this post, except for this part (IMHO).  Be aware before you venture into the Trading Post chat (it's found in the sidebar of the game).

There are mainly two types of players who frequent this chat venue.  First, is the new players, often without many resources.  They just want to trade -- anything -- even though they are not ready.  They'll waste much time if you're not careful.  More importantly, this is where most of the creepy players in this game hang out (experienced traders, the vultures and profiteers).  Their whole purpose is to take advantage of those new players, and often brag about the "steals" they've found in trading (whether private or Public Offers).  As well, it's full of very bad spam offers -- "my packs for most of your good cards," though worded more benignly -- cut and paste, over and over.

There are decent, fair traders who go there on occasion.  They're the exception, not the norm, however.  You'll want to understand standard prices for your cards, either from the OU7C4ST guide, or from your own research in Public Offers.  It can be fun to visit there, or join in the conversation, but just be careful, eh?

If you want to trade, and you're not comfortable with the process, by all means just ask your specific questions here in the forum (found at In-Game Item Exchange).  It's always better to have light on your offers (or trade questions), rather than trusting backroom deals, which is what the Trading Post feels like.

Edited by RobRatt
  • Upvote 2

Eiyaki

There are decent, fair traders who go there on occasion.  They're the exception, not the norm, however.  You'll want to understand standard prices for your cards, either from the OU7C4ST guide, or from your own research in Public Offers.  It can be fun to visit there, or join in the conversation, but just be careful, eh?

As said above, you may be confused about the OU7C4ST Guide, or Public offers. What is this guide? Public offers? And why is there a seven and four in the name? Well, in order to trade without being scammed out of your precious EX's and GX's, it is important to know their worth. Hence, a man named OU7C4ST has devised a simple price guide on his website- just search up 'ou7c4st price guide'.

While on this site, on the top is a list of packs and their worth on the right. Press CTRL + F (or CMD + F for Macs) and find a GX you like. The price right next to it lists how much the GX/EX is worth in packs. Usually, a 'pack' is 1 Guardians Rising or the most recent booster pack. Other packs are usually worth around 0.4-0.8. After you've found out the price of the cards, post a public trade for that card and play the waiting game.

To recap- win tournaments, price check cards, post trade, wait a while.

• Upvote 1

ABeezy13

Thank you, that makes sense. Its been a LONG time for me and a lot has changed so wanted to get this straight!

Since the OP called the foil "rainbow," let's be especially clear there:

The Rainbow Rare cards show the outline of the art from the Full Art variant, but are colored entirely in rainbow. The foil effect is in addition to the Rainbow coloring.

There are just a few pokemon which ALSO have a Gold colored Secret Rare (Solgaleo GX is one).

There is just barely some justification to the name "Full Art" as opposed to the "Regular Art" variant:

If you look closely at the top and bottom of the Regular Art card, which has background art in the picture, you'll see solid bars of energy-color at the top and bottom. These cover the background, but the pokemon itself may partly obscure them. That stops them being full art, though they have more detailed art than the FA does.

Some also are Promo versions, denoted by the word "PROMO" printed on the rarity star. They might have any of the types of art, including alternate Regular Art, and most (not all!) are functionally identical to the ones in sets.

Best bet to see these is to go into your Collection, check the "show not owned" box, and filter for GXs.

Thank you for breaking this down, I will check the non-owned and look at the different variants to get an understanding. As said above its a been a long time for me so trying to wrap my head around the differences.

In Standard, these are the cards you MUST have in order to be successful:

4 Cynthia

3 Lillie

3 Guzma

4 Ultra Balls

1-2 Field Blower

1-2 Rescue Stretcher

and 2-3 Stadiums.

Other useful cards are:

P. Elm's lecture (search your deck for 2 basics- up to 60HP)

Nest ball

Timer ball

Rare candy (To jump over middle stages and accelerate the deck)

Friend ball (most of the time to get a Lele-GX)

P Kukui (to achieve 1HKO)

Switch and/or Escape rope

Acerola

Tate & Liza

Escape board (on decks with a lot of 1 energy retreat cost)

Acrobike (to accelerate+thin the deck, usually in decks that benefit from recovering (mainly) energies from discard) Sightseer too

Max potion (to heal in low cost of attack decks)

Enhanced hammer (to slow down opponent a bit)

Judge (disruption for decks with abilities to draw (Zoroark GX))

Pal pad (to recover supporters, specially if the strategy is based on it (e.g. Garchomp)

Weakness policy

and also cards such as

Mysterious Treasure (for psychic type decks)

Beast Ball (for decks centering around Ultra Beasts)

Kiawe (for fire type decks)

Mina and Diantha (for fairy type decks)

Zinnia (for dragon type decks)

Thanks to Chasista for this guide!

Anyway, once you've gotten the basics down, go to the deck builder and turn 'show not owned'. You may not have all the cards right away but don't worry, as you can still trade most of these cards for packs you won in tournaments. Then, choose a GX or powerful stage one/two pokemon. Analyze the card you just picked. Does it need a lot of energy? Does it require a certain set of cards to be drawn? Does it require more HP?

For example, take Lunala GX. Its attack requires 4 psychic energy (which is a lot), so I could run a 3-3 Malamar (which means you have 3 Inkay (basic) and 3 Malamar (stage 1)) line. And since it can move energy to other pokemon, I could also give it a few max potions to heal itself right up with no penalty.

After you've gotten your main attacking pokemon some friends, it's time to set up your trainers with some of the cards above and put some energies in the deck. When you're finished, you should have about 12-15 pokemon, 28-32 trainers, and 3nergy cards.

When you're done making the deck, make sure to test the deck against the AI. Win or lose, make sure to take notes on how to make your deck better. Also, at the end of matches, go to the bottom left of the victory/defeat screen to see your stats. Right next to your opponent's side, there is an eye icon. Press it, and you can see their deck. Later on, people get smarter and decide to hide the deck list, so take advantage of that. Back to the point, press 'Export Deck' and you'll get a wall of text when you put into a word processing unit. Save it for later learning.

Other ways of getting cards are with booster packs from the shop or by using the cards in theme decks. However, buying booster packs is time consuming. Booster packs are also not guaranteed to give you any of the cards you want, further increasing the time needed to create a deck. Therefore, you will need to learn how to trade in this game.

As many have said before, winning tournaments to earn booster packs is one of the most reliable ways to get the cards you want. After you've gotten a sufficient amount of packs, click on the top right icon to access the chat. Press the plus symbol to find a chat room that says something like 'trading post'. In there, say something like 'will trade packs for (cards)'. While trading, note that 1 pack is worth about two cards or about half a GX.

Anyway, that's all the time I have today, folks! Hope I answered some of your questions.

THANK YOU for this post. I appreciate you taking the type to reply here and share this information.

Would you or anyone else here who has commented suggest I spend my tokens on buying more decks then to guarantee I get some of the above cards? Such as buying two 'Mach Strike" decks to get the 4 Cynthia cards? 

Right now I am sitting on 1700 tokens and just want to make sure I spend these on the right things.

There was some very good advice given in this post, except for this part (IMHO).  Be aware before you venture into the Trading Post chat (it's found in the sidebar of the game).

There are mainly two types of players who frequent this chat venue.  First, is the new players, often without many resources.  They just want to trade -- anything -- even though they are not ready.  They'll waste much time if you're not careful.  More importantly, this is where most of the creepy players in this game hang out (experienced traders, the vultures and profiteers).  Their whole purpose is to take advantage of those new players, and often brag about the "steals" they've found in trading (whether private or Public Offers).  As well, it's full of very bad spam offers -- my packs for most of your good cards, though worded more benignly -- cut and paste, over and over.

If you want to trade, and you're not comfortable with the process, by all means just ask your specific questions here in the forum (found at In-Game Item Exchange).  It's always better to have light on your offers (or trade questions), rather than trusting backroom deals, which is what the Trading Post feels like.

I appreciate your follow up response as well. I am a bit scared of the "trade market" for this reason and still being green to the game and values of cards I will probably hold off for a bit on trading until I get a better feel for the game.

Where I stand right now is understanding how to play (specifically with the Blazing Volcano deck) and what it takes to get a solid win. I have been doing the versus theme deck and getting the rewards and such.

As said above, you may be confused about the OU7C4ST Guide, or Public offers. What is this guide? Public offers? And why is there a seven and four in the name? Well, in order to trade without being scammed out of your precious EX's and GX's, it is important to know their worth. Hence, a man named OU7C4ST has devised a simple price guide on his website- just search up 'ou7c4st price guide'.

While on this site, on the top is a list of packs and their worth on the right. Press CTRL + F (or CMD + F for Macs) and find a GX you like. The price right next to it lists how much the GX/EX is worth in packs. Usually, a 'pack' is 1 Guardians Rising or the most recent booster pack. Other packs are usually worth around 0.4-0.8. After you've found out the price of the cards, post a public trade for that card and play the waiting game.

To recap- win tournaments, price check cards, post trade, wait a while.

I will be sure to use that guide, and probably come back to the trade forum here when I am brave enough to make a trade offer, etc. Right now I don't have any packs for trade as they are all locked. So I realize the best way to get these unlocked packs is to play tournaments. I asked a question above about tournaments if anyone cares to respond, my question (along with two other questions) was:

1. When should I enter tournaments? I assume its best to do them deck tournaments for now? Also in regards to "when"... if I do and the tournament is full of players what happens if the tournament fills up and I am not around at that given time to play? How does it work?

2. From doing all my versus matches so far I have accumulated 1700 tokens. Should I buy new theme decks to get those "must have" cards listed above for creating my own deck?

3. When I do finally have the cards to build my own deck should I be playing standard play with it? I don't want to consistently get destroyed by my competition (I am very competitive :P )

Eiyaki

1. When should I enter tournaments? I assume its best to do them deck tournaments for now? Also in regards to "when"... if I do and the tournament is full of players what happens if the tournament fills up and I am not around at that given time to play? How does it work?

You should enter theme deck tournaments ASAP. Don't enter the Standard or Expanded tournaments yet, as most of them are highly competitive. When going into tournaments, just join and sit back until it's time to duel.

2. From doing all my versus matches so far I have accumulated 1700 tokens. Should I buy new theme decks to get those "must have" cards listed above for creating my own deck?

If I were you, I'd try to get the required trainers from theme decks first before you go out investing in booster packs. If you've already got the trainers you need, open up a lot of Guardians Rising packs because they have the most useful trainer cards.

3. When I do finally have the cards to build my own deck should I be playing standard play with it? I don't want to consistently get destroyed by my competition (I am very competitive :P )

When you finish making your first competitive deck, you should start off easy with some standard versus. Learn from your losses, make a few edits here and there, and when you're done you should have a pretty good deck that is sure to withstand the current meta (as long as you've done your research).

I can give you a few pieces of advice as you work your way up:

• Never, ever concede. Many times there can be a clear winner that can be overturned with just a simple Ability or trainer card.
  • Research. A few minutes a day looking at random cards or browsing the forums can do wonders for you and your deck.
  • Learn from others. See other people's deck lists and try to find out what you could improve or try to find their flaws.
  • Find a way to control your 'zones'. At my elementary school, there's four zones that correspond to an emotion; green is ready, red is anger, yellow is fear, and blue is sadness. Find a way to always be in the green zone (which is calm and ready).
  • Play the game in real life. If you're at school and you pull out two theme decks for someone to play with you, the chances are high that someone will pass by and will want to try it out.
  • And most importantly, have fun. You can't really focus if the hobby you love is the thing you also hate.
  • Upvote 1

ABeezy13

You should enter theme deck tournaments ASAP. Don't enter the Standard or Expanded tournaments yet, as most of them are highly competitive. When going into tournaments, just join and sit back until it's time to duel.

If I were you, I'd try to get the required trainers from theme decks first before you go out investing in booster packs. If you've already got the trainers you need, open up a lot of Guardians Rising packs because they have the most useful trainer cards.

When you finish making your first competitive deck, you should start off easy with some standard versus. Learn from your losses, make a few edits here and there, and when you're done you should have a pretty good deck that is sure to withstand the current meta (as long as you've done your research).

I can give you a few pieces of advice as you work your way up:

• Never, ever concede. Many times there can be a clear winner that can be overturned with just a simple Ability or trainer card.
  • Research. A few minutes a day looking at random cards or browsing the forums can do wonders for you and your deck.
  • Learn from others. See other people's deck lists and try to find out what you could improve or try to find their flaws.
  • Find a way to control your 'zones'. At my elementary school, there's four zones that correspond to an emotion; green is ready, red is anger, yellow is fear, and blue is sadness. Find a way to always be in the green zone (which is calm and ready).
  • Play the game in real life. If you're at school and you pull out two theme decks for someone to play with you, the chances are high that someone will pass by and will want to try it out.
  • And most importantly, have fun. You can't really focus if the hobby you love is the thing you also hate.

Cool thanks for the post and tips! I did enter some tournaments yesterday! Playerd three: Lost in the second round, lost in the first round, lost in the finals so I did get some non-locked packs for trade (which I will hold for now)

I looked at your post that you suggested the must have cards and the rest that I should obtain, I do have a good amount, specifically I need Cynthia's which I will purchase two mach-strikes to get all four of those. I also need the 1-2 field blowers but not sure if those are in any theme decks or not?

I am a bit nervous to make my own deck, I don't even know where to begin, such as what energy, etc. I would assume its going to take quite some time to build a full deck that can hang....

EDIT: is there also a list somewhere of the best/most effective cards in the game? Maybe even broken down into energy. Example: best water deck must have cards for competitive deck, etc.

Edited by ABeezy13

SandaledOtter

EDIT: is there also a list somewhere of the best/most effective cards in the game? Maybe even broken down into energy. Example: best water deck must have cards for competitive deck, etc.

The best source of that is probably the list of decks from the past several championship events:

Those unfortunately won't give you ideas for decks of every energy type. When working on completing challenges, that is, using pokemon of certain energy types to do damage, evolve, or get KOs, you sometimes need to experiment a bit.

• Upvote 1

SuperStone

I looked at your post that you suggested the must have cards and the rest that I should obtain, I do have a good amount, specifically I need Cynthia's which I will purchase two mach-strikes to get all four of those. I also need the 1-2 field blowers but not sure if those are in any theme decks or not?

There's one in each of the Forbidden Light (set) theme decks.  However, unless you want their other cards or to play those decks, don't bother getting them just for the blowers.  I can trade you 2 for a tradeable common if you have one.

Also- everyone, of course, recommends holding on to your packs.  And from an economic standpoint, that's undeniably the right thing to do.  But personally, I so greatly prefer opening packs that I only keep the extra-valuable ones whole.  If you want to build up your collection and be able to play with whatever cards you want to, than trading packs is the way to go- and in fact, I too will advise that.  But don't think that opening from the start isn't an option if you really want to. ;)

I am a bit nervous to make my own deck, I don't even know where to begin, such as what energy, etc. I would assume its going to take quite some time to build a full deck that can hang....

Don't worry about it. :) It does indeed take a while to figure out all the intricacies of deckbuilding (which I do not claim 2 B. A. Master at), but if you seriously want to go straight to the top, then here are some things you can do:

• Look at championship results & decks at the pokemon.com (ninja'd :P)
  • Read past forums articles (some of which are even pinned  :D)
  • Read deck & format analysis articles by credible third-party websites (can't say names.  Silly rules.  :unsure:
  • Keep an open mind; always questing if cards in your deck really get used; really are necessary.  Cut the chaff.

This is the basic structure of a competitive deck: 

• 7-11 attack-related pokemon
  • 2-5 support/tech pokemon
  • 8-12 energy
  • 4-8 pokemon searching cards (including rescue stretcher)
  • 8-11 draw supporters
  • 2-6 other supporters
  • 1-3 stadiums
  • 2-4 tools
  • 1 or 2 field blower
  • The remaining space dedicated to deck-specific trainers (acro bike, rare candy, max potion, etc.)
Edited by SuperStone

ABeezy13

The best source of that is probably the list of decks from the past several championship events:

Those unfortunately won't give you ideas for decks of every energy type. When working on completing challenges, that is, using pokemon of certain energy types to do damage, evolve, or get KOs, you sometimes need to experiment a bit.

Cool thank you! I have been checking that out a bit but I am confused with some of these decks that only have like 4-5 energy cards, maybe I have a lot to learn in terms of deck building but it seems very low? Also, it will take a long while to obtain all those cards unless I spend money (which I am trying to avoid). I am having fun right now with the theme decks and theme event tournaments and trying to win and gain extra packs.

There's one in each of the Forbidden Light (set) theme decks. However, unless you want their other cards or to play those decks, don't bother getting them just for the blowers. I can trade you 2 for a tradeable common if you have one.

Also- everyone, of course, recommends holding on to your packs. And from an economic standpoint, that's undeniably the right thing to do. But personally, I so greatly prefer opening packs that I only keep the extra-valuable ones whole. If you want to build up your collection and be able to play with whatever cards you want to, than trading packs is the way to go- and in fact, I too will advise that. But don't think that opening from the start isn't an option if you really want to. ;)

Don't worry about it. :) It does indeed take a while to figure out all the intricacies of deckbuilding (which I do not claim 2 B. A. Master at), but if you seriously want to go straight to the top, then here are some things you can do:

• Look at championship results & decks at the pokemon.com (ninja'd :**
  • Read past forums articles (some of which are even pinned :D)
  • Read deck & format analysis articles by credible third-party websites (can't say names. Silly rules. :unsure:
  • Keep an open mind; always questing if cards in your deck really get used; really are necessary. Cut the chaff.

This is the basic structure of a competitive deck:

• 7-11 attack-related pokemon
  • 2-5 support/tech pokemon
  • 8-12 energy
  • 4-8 pokemon searching cards (including rescue stretcher)
  • 8-11 draw supporters
  • 2-6 other supporters
  • 1-3 stadiums
  • 2-4 tools
  • 1 or 2 field blower
  • The remaining space dedicated to deck-specific trainers (acro bike, rare candy, max potion, etc.)

Thanks for the tip, I won't buy those decks then for now... I am just mastering using the Blazing Volcano deck right now, and I also got Mach Strike and have played that a little bit. I will use this structure as I learn to build and play around with a few decks (which I will test as I do so). There is so much to learn with deck building its overwhelming.

I have a few GX cards right now as well (never played with any of them). I have:

• Drampa GX
  • Gardevoir GX
  • Ho-Oh GX (three of them lol)
  • Mimikyu GX
  • Nihilego GX
  • Sylveon GX

Not sure if any of those are good to build around?

Another side note question - I obtained a second Mach Strike Deck that is NOT trade locked, is that worth anything in trade?

ABeezy13

I will tell ya what tho, this game really hates me. Like mentioned above playing with the blazing volcano deck, I get screwed about 80% of the time. I either get paired up with water deck after water deck and get wrecked (unless all my stars align) or I get dealt the most crappy hand every single time. Very very frustrating 

SuperStone

Cool thank you! I have been checking that out a bit but I am confused with some of these decks that only have like 4-5 energy cards, maybe I have a lot to learn in terms of deck building but it seems very low? Also, it will take a long while to obtain all those cards unless I spend money (which I am trying to avoid). I am having fun right now with the theme decks and theme event tournaments and trying to win and gain extra packs.

Very few decks can afford to go that low.  They are basically all ones that use double colorless and that alone, and even so they almost always use special charge to get energy back from the discard pile.

I have a few GX cards right now as well (never played with any of them).

Not sure if any of those are good to build around?

Sylveon can be used in control/disruption decks, if that's a strategy you're inrerested in.  Gardevoir is very strong, but you'll need minimally two copies and that will be expensive.  Ho-oh and Nihilego have their uses, and you could probably build a solid deck around the phoenix.  I'd suggest paring it with Kiawe.

Another side note question - I obtained a second Mach Strike Deck that is NOT trade locked, is that worth anything in trade?

It is, actually.  I don't know its exact value, but it's not irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

ABeezy13

Very few decks can afford to go that low.  They are basically all ones that use double colorless and that alone, and even so they almost always use special charge to get energy back from the discard pile.

Thanks, as a beginner I don't think its a good idea to go that low as I am still learning as I play (continuing with this Blazing Volcano theme deck).

Sylveon can be used in control/disruption decks, if that's a strategy you're inrerested in.  Gardevoir is very strong, but you'll need minimally two copies and that will be expensive.  Ho-oh and Nihilego have their uses, and you could probably build a solid deck around the phoenix.  I'd suggest paring it with Kiawe.

We all have favorite Pokemon, but right now I don't really have any GX cards that are my favorite Pokemon, so taking that aspect out I would say my strategy is to "hit em' hard and hit' em fast". I like to build up cards that can do a good deal of damage and knock my opponent out quick, or at least take the advantage right out of the gate. I am not a fa of having to get lucky and draw all the right cards in the right order to be powerful, because luck is never on my side. One other thing, I am not sure off hand but is there any energy type with the least weakness or the biggest advantage over most other energy types? I think that would be another thing that I would go for.

With that being said I am not sure if there are any decks or examples that come to mind that you could suggest. Speaking of decks... when venturing out of "theme" to "standard" is it pretty much a must have, to build a deck with a GX card? If I don't I will get wrecked time and time again?

It is, actually.  I don't know its exact value, but it's not irrelevant.

Cool, I will hold on to it then and maybe trade it when I start to build my own deck. (I have one Mach Strike already that I purchased, and I have plenty of coins to purchase another for the 2x more Cynthia cards.)

ABeezy13

I also just opened a pack I got from rewards and got a Lugia GX card :) Not sure if that trumps any of the ones from my previous post?

ABeezy13

I also just opened a pack I got from rewards and got a Lugia GX card :) Not sure if that trumps any of the ones from my previous post?

Add a Blaziken GX to my list too :)

Chasista

Add a Blaziken GX to my list too :)

Lugia GX is good. Colourless, can work in almost any deck. More if you're starting and don't have all the cards focused in a main strategy based on 3-4 copies of the main attacker and so. Lugia GX works as a Joker in almost any deck.

Blaziken GX tho is fire and stage 2. Only fits as main attacker in a fire deck based on getting the evolution of Blaziken ASAP having a thick line of 3 or 4 of it. TBH looks better in Expanded with rare candy, battle compressor, vs seeker and blacksmith, but there are better and easier fire options to play both Standard and Expanded.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this