[Poll] How would you value Pack Ratios if Lost Thunder was to be at 1.0 ?

• Please log in to reply

08 January 2019 - 03:58 AM

OU7C4ST

Veteran Trainer

• OU7C4ST

Hello friends!

This is a question more geared towards veteran traders as I would like the input.

How would you value other packs to Lost Thunder if you were to value Lost Thunder at a 1.0?

Feel free to copy & paste the following below, and enter your information. Thanks! :)

Lost Thunder (LOT) - 1.0
Dragon Majesty (DRM) - 
Celestial Storm (CES) - 
Forbidden Light (FLI) - 
Ultra Prism (UPR) - 
Crimson Invasion (CIN) - 
Shining Legends (SLG) - 
Burning Shadows (BUS) - 
Guardians Rising (GRI) - 
Sun & Moon Base Set (SUM) - 

Evolutions (EVO) - 
Steam Siege (STS) - 
Fates Collide (FCO) - 
Generations (GEN) - 
BREAKpoint (BKP) - 
BREAKthrough (BKT) - 
Ancient Origins (AOR) - 
Roaring Skies (ROS) - 
Double Crisis (DCR) - 
Primal Clash (PRC) - 
Phantom Forces (PHF) - 
Furious Fists (FFI) - 
Flashfire (FLF) - 
XY Base Set (XY) - 

Legendary Treasures (LTR) - 
Plasma Blast (PLB) - 
Plasma Freeze (PLF) - 
Plasma Storm (PLS) - 
Boundaries Crossed (BCR) - 
Dragon Vault (DRV) - 
Dragons Exalted (DRX) - 
Dark Explorers (DEX) - 
Next Destinies (NXD) - 
Noble Victories (NVI) - 
Emerging Powers (EPO) - 
Black & White Base Set (BLW) - 

Call of Legends (CL) - 
Triumphant (TM.) - 
Undaunted (UD) - 
Unleashed (UL) - 
HeartGold & SoulSilver Base Set (HS) - 

Founder of OU7C4ST's Card Value Guide
Twitch PTCGO Streamer
Check out my YT for Deck Reviews, & More!

08 January 2019 - 05:10 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I don't see any reason to shake the tree too hard.  Maybe think of Guardians Rising as 0.9, and leave the rest alone?

Any answers are going to be speculation, and biased on what each player holds, aren't they?  I can't think of anyone, including myself or you, that's able to say, "THIS IS the price."

Go slow!!  That's my suggestion.

08 January 2019 - 05:48 AM

TheMy5teryMan

Novice Trainer

• TheMy5teryMan
I think most of the ratios would stay the same - it’s not as much of an issue of LST being very valuable more as it is GRI losing a lot of value very quickly, especially as something to trade. Nearly all trades I see are being executed with Lost Thunder, not Guardians and that has a bigger impact on price than anything.

I would put GRI at .8 LST. I’ve seen a fair amount of LST to GRI stuck trades at .85, I think .8 is a good value.

08 January 2019 - 06:35 AM

OU7C4ST

Veteran Trainer

• OU7C4ST

I don't see any reason to shake the tree too hard.  Maybe think of Guardians Rising as 0.9, and leave the rest alone?

Any answers are going to be speculation, and biased on what each player holds, aren't they?  I can't think of anyone, including myself or you, that's able to say, "THIS IS the price."

Go slow!!  That's my suggestion.

No reason to worry, all responses are taken with a grain of salt.

It's just nice to discuss this with the community from time to time, and hear what others have to say.

Twitch PTCGO Streamer

08 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I don't think LOT should be 1 right now. And it's not impossible two different packs to be 1.

Lowing the value of LOT to 1, or lowing the value of GRi below 1 don't seem (to me) be beneficial to the market. A lot of people still values GRi over LoT and a lot does contrary.

Almost everything you can trade for 1 LOT, you can trade for 1 GRi (or 10 LOT and 10 GRi).

About the rest of packs, a lot are low valued but it's also a matter of perception. A lot of 1, 2 or 3 valued cards are taken with CES, FLi, UPR, BUS, CRi... does that mean these packs are 1 each? Does that mean the value of the card is not actually 1, 2 or 3? Who's right?

Historically, both PLF and ROS were over 1 for ages being 1 the newest released set. In this same logic I don't think LOT should be devalued to get more revenue in short term and is still not perceived as something as high (e.g 1,5) as to break the market.

In short, I wouldn't set the value of LOT as 1, and I wouldn't modify the value of GRi and older sets, for the reason you won't believe some trades done with older non-worthing packs (EVO, FCo, FuF...) that still are easier with other S&M packs and happens daily.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

09 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

A couple weeks ago, I was lurking in the Trading Post chat.  I do that from time to time.

Someone posted, "Can I get a price check on this booster."  And one of the regulars answered, "0.6375."

He was serious, ...like there was some precise scientific formula for pricing one pack over another.

We shouldn't put so much faith in the booster to booster trade offers as a price reference.  When someone says, "They're going for 0.85 in Public," I think that's comical.  First, because these things are done on personal whims (or needs).  But mostly, because these "pack ratio" trades are always lopsided toward the guys who think they're the next Rockefeller of virtual cards.  I don't blame them for trying, but somehow we've gotten away from simple exchanges.

@OU7C4ST, I see this in the Pack Ratios of your guide.  When you change the value of Lost Thunder from 1.1, to 1.15 the next week, you're either being overly influenced by the profiteers, or you've forgotten what kids have to deal with.  I mean, really? ...a booster pack is 1/20th better, or more popular this week?

I understand (or I think I do) how you've been influenced.  And since you were an owner of a Trading Company (Phantom Knight, with Ben), I can also see why you think this model is the way it's supposed to be.

Somehow, can we rethink making all of this simpler, and more consistent?  As Chasista pointed out, who's to say which is more valuable?  To one player, who's looking for Tapu Lele, they are after Guardians Rising packs (yes, there will always be those still looking).  And another player, just because of the sheer size of Lost Thunder (twice the size of a normal set), will be looking for LOT cards and those booster packs.

THE GUIDE shows micro-fractions for many of the boosters.  That's a perception that may not match what people are actually trading.

Celestial Storm  0.55

Forbidden Light  0.45

Ultra Prism  0.66

Crimson Invasion  0.5

Burning Shadows  0.5

^^  I make trades, and accept trades, all day long, without any difference between these boosters.  Basically, they're all worth the same.  As with XY-era packs, where the difference between one of 0.33 value and one of 0.35 value is a joke.

Kids think this way.  They're mostly equal.  Who's to say different?  ...There again, only the profiteers.

Is there any way we can change this obsolete Trading Company mindset?

Edited by RobRatt, 09 January 2019 - 10:52 AM.

09 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

OU7C4ST

Veteran Trainer

• OU7C4ST

THE GUIDE shows micro-fractions for many of the boosters.  That's a perception that may not match what people are actually trading.

Celestial Storm  0.55

Forbidden Light  0.45

Ultra Prism  0.66

Crimson Invasion  0.5

Burning Shadows  0.5

^^  I make trades, and accept trades, all day long, without any difference between these boosters.  Basically, they're all worth the same.  As with XY-era packs, where the difference between one of 0.33 value and one of 0.35 value is a joke.

Kids think this way.  They're mostly equal.  Who's to say different?  ...There again, only the profiteers.

A bit harsh to say "kids think this way", as I'd say that's simply untrue. As in any relate-able market such as this, rarely are things going to have an exact matching value.

I, and other serious traders will gladly take all your Ultra Prisms for our Forbidden Lights in a heartbeat. I think it's important, although it may seem trivial, that we highlight what packs may be slightly more desirable by giving them a value slightly above their close counter-parts.

You mention XY packs as well, where again, I, and several other serious traders, will gladly take all your Roaring Skies for our XY Base Set packs or Furious Fists, etc.

I find it super important, although a 0.02 difference may seem comical, to outline what pack is more important out of the era than the rest.

Now I will agree, when it comes to smaller scale trades, these values really don't matter all too much, but they kick in big time when you start using them for larger scale trading. You ask if 1/20th is really a big difference, but it is when it comes to SR Ultra Balls, & Tropical Beach, etc. Those are several pack differences.

It's really about that scenario why it's important to value things slightly more or less.

Trust me, I am with you when you say that we should get rid of obsolete Trading Company mentalities, and I would  love nothing more than to have every pack on such a basic level as: 0.5, 1, 2, etc., but that's not how it's going down in the market.

The trading company mindset of values came way before me, and they'll be there most likely way after I am gone unless PTCGO regulates prices themselves.

Personal Opinion: I feel sometimes this game's economy would potentially be better regulated as cards are auctioned instead in the trading section similar to past MTG/Diablo games. We'd have to basically have all packs on the same currency wave-length though, or as I said, the game itself determines a price based on each pack or format or era.

(I understand your post was mostly a piece on frustration about how ridiculous values have gotten, but we are simply going to have to compete with these profiteers. I display values as I do, because I want the community informed publicly what packs are worth more than others. If they blindly think that Roaring Skies and Steam Siege is worth the same, or Sun/Moon Base Set and Ultra Prism are worth the same, they are going to get majorly ripped off every-time they trade.)

Edited by OU7C4ST, 09 January 2019 - 07:55 PM.

Twitch PTCGO Streamer

10 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

OU7C4ST's efforts, and the service he/they provide us, is commendable.  That's a given.  Please don't assume my previous comments mean otherwise.  It wasn't a critique so much, as highlighting a broken system that we all experience.  Maybe if it's given more thought, we'll see better solutions?

21 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

OrigBitmancer

Junior Trainer

• OrigBitmancer
From the point of view of helping what OU7C4ST does, I have a basic question.

Is the probability of getting a particular rare in PTCGO significantly different from cardboard?
Is the desirability of cards different because 4 make a universal playset?
TCG Trainer from original release through Neo 4; then Diamond & Pearl block; now Sun & Moon.
League Leader for Horizon Games (Webster TX), then Skirmish Games (Deer Park TX); pending for Gerard’s Gaming (Webster TX). Semi-retired software engineer available for contract work....