Help me determine what kind of card a card might be

• Please log in to reply

26 December 2018 - 10:47 PM

TrenchieChop

Rookie Trainer

• TrenchieChop

Hello,

I'm a little stumped trying to determine some card attributes; specifically with regards to 'expanded', 'legacy', and 'standard'. as well as other curiosities.

so lets start with "color" versus "black and white" pictures of cards when I expand the card info in a card description. what is the significance of either the in-color or the black and white picture?

how can I determine if a card is standard, legacy, or expanded ?  is there a way to do this without using the filter options in my collection?

in trading, where does a cards deck-type get shown? what is the significance of the 'star', 'diamond', 'square' or 'circle' (at bottom of trade view) when I view a trade ?

thanks for all the help with any answers.

-TrenchieChop

26 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Hello,

how can I determine if a card is standard, legacy, or expanded ?  is there a way to do this without using the filter options in my collection?

These 3 formats are defined by the expansions that are legal in each of them at the moment. Standard always includes all the cards from a certain point on that's defined every year. Right now, the cutoff is at Sun and Moon Base Set, meaning that all the cards released in the SM Base Set and onward are valid for Standard, while everything else that's older than the final XY set (EVO) isn't playable in standard.

Expanded is always everything from the BW base set and onward. This cutoff doesn't seem to change, so the format only grows larger as new expansions are added.

Legacy includes all cards from the HGSS era and the BW era, so it only excludes the XY and SM sets. This doesn't seem to change from year to year.

Honestly though, it's just a matter of memory. As you play, you will begin remembering what card belongs where. Until then though, just use the filter. I'll save you some trouble and I'll help you memorize the formats better.

so lets start with "color" versus "black and white" pictures of cards when I expand the card info in a card description. what is the significance of either the in-color or the black and white picture?

[...]

in trading, where does a cards deck-type get shown? what is the significance of the 'star', 'diamond', 'square' or 'circle' (at bottom of trade view) when I view a trade ?

The cards in color are the ones you already own. The ones in black and white are cards you don't own any copies of.

I don't know what you mean by deck type (you meant the format, perhaps?), but the little black shapes on the corner of the card are its rarity. Circle is "common", diamond is "uncommon" and the star is "rare".

Edited by Sakura150612, 26 December 2018 - 11:07 PM.

26 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

TrenchieChop

Rookie Trainer

• TrenchieChop

OK, great info, thank you. it's to bad that differences between 'legacy', 'standard' and 'expended' won't be found in a trade. thgis make (for me) trading a little annoying. I won't know if I can apply a card to my deck (of that type standard/expanded) until after I have completed the trade.

26 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

OK, great info, thank you. it's to bad that differences between 'legacy', 'standard' and 'expended' won't be found in a trade. thgis make (for me) trading a little annoying. I won't know if I can apply a card to my deck (of that type standard/expanded) until after I have completed the trade.

Ah, actually, when looking at the list of available public trades you can filter out by format. Go to the Trade section and go to the "Public Offers" tab. There should be a drop-down menu that has "Cards" selected by default. Open it, and select "Cards" again. This should prompt a pop-up menu with various filters, including a filter by format. After applying the filters you will see offers that mostly involve your selected format (do keep in mind that the filter only means that at least 1 of the cards involved is valid for your selected format; there could be other cards in the mix).

Try to familiarize yourself with the Expansion Icons on the bottom left side corner of the card. Just memorize the ones from the SM Base Set and on. Any icon that's different is not valid for Standard.

EDIT:  :ph34r:

Edited by Sakura150612, 27 December 2018 - 12:17 AM.

26 December 2018 - 11:58 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

While trading you can also filter for specific sets, or specific formats. Simply go to “trade”, then “Public offers”, then click on “cards” in the drop down menu, then click on “cards” again to open the filter and now you can select a specific format to search for.

At the beginning it's highly recommended to only play Standard, as you have a smaller card pool and thus its easier to get acquainted with the format. Ones you feel more comfortable you can always add older cards to your existing deck and try out the deeper card pool in Expanded. Legacy is not advised for beginners, as the card pool is fairly unique and you won't be able to play most of your cards anywhere else.

Edit: **** Ninja.

Edited by Felidae_, 26 December 2018 - 11:59 PM.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...