What is the best theme deck in tournaments ?

• Please log in to reply

20 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

CartmanBrah007

Novice Trainer

• CartmanBrah007

I usually use 'Twilight Rogue', but if i get to play againt 'Blazing Volcano' deck, it's less than 30% chance for me to win. Any tips ?

20 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

If you can't bet 'em, join 'em xd

Jokes aside, Blazing Volcano is probably the best Theme Deck available right now. I still like Hydro Fury (which has type advantage against Blazing Volcano, although you do have to watch out for Heracross). Match Strike was top tier once; not sure about now, but it's probably still good. Imperial Command is also good (and it also has type advantage against Blazing Volcano); I should mention that Blazing Volcano still has a good chance against this deck though.

Tropical Takedown used to be pretty good, but the prevalence of Blazing Volcano in the current meta probably means that it isn't as good anymore. Storm Caller seems to be ok, but I personally don't like it a whole lot.

Honestly, Blazing Volcano is your best option right now, even if playing mirror matches can get a bit boring.

20 December 2018 - 09:57 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Sakura said everything.

I like Leaf charge a lot, but it's an auto-loss on any Blazing volcano match. Happily some people use Hydrofury as a counter, and it becames the counter of the counter, an easy win. It's nice the circle of weaknesses have been refilled again in Theme, although Blazing volcano is by far, the most prepared to win Theme deck ever, until now.

I would say any Theme from Crimson invasion to the last released, is playable. But still not with every deck you'll be able to beat Blazing volcano, Mach strike or some other.

Nothing else to say, it seems Sakura had more free time than me (also answered in the feedback thread and again, said everything there).

Edited by Chasista, 20 December 2018 - 09:58 PM.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

20 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Sakura said everything.

I like Leaf charge a lot, but it's an auto-loss on any Blazing volcano match. Happily some people use Hydrofury as a counter, and it becames the counter of the counter, an easy win. It's nice the circle of weaknesses have been refilled again in Theme, although Blazing volcano is by far, the most prepared to win Theme deck ever, until now.

I would say any Theme from Crimson invasion to the last released, is playable. But still not with every deck you'll be able to beat Blazing volcano, Mach strike or some other.

Nothing else to say, it seems Sakura had more free time than me (also answered in the feedback thread and again, said everything there).

I suppose xd For the time being I have a lot of free time, at least until late February. Although I did miss the detail about Leaf Charge, which is one of the other decks I'd recommend (with the caveat that, as you said, it's an auto-loss against Blazing Volcano).

20 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

CartmanBrah007

Novice Trainer

• CartmanBrah007

If you can't bet 'em, join 'em xd

Jokes aside, Blazing Volcano is probably the best Theme Deck available right now. I still like Hydro Fury (which has type advantage against Blazing Volcano, although you do have to watch out for Heracross). Match Strike was top tier once; not sure about now, but it's probably still good. Imperial Command is also good (and it also has type advantage against Blazing Volcano); I should mention that Blazing Volcano still has a good chance against this deck though.

Tropical Takedown used to be pretty good, but the prevalence of Blazing Volcano in the current meta probably means that it isn't as good anymore. Storm Caller seems to be ok, but I personally don't like it a whole lot.

Honestly, Blazing Volcano is your best option right now, even if playing mirror matches can get a bit boring.

Blazing Volcano is too strong, i think there is balance issue. I've played with other theme decks, it depends on luck.

20 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Blazing Volcano is too strong, i think there is balance issue. I've played with other theme decks, it depends on luck.

I mean... that's exactly the same reason why you should use it. Plus, the way they keep the Theme meta fresh is by introducing new decks with each expansion. Blazing Volcano might be the #1 Theme Deck now, but it won't stay at the top forever.

Also, Theme Decks (sans the online exclusive Theme Decks) cannot be modified, ever. Blazing Volcano will stay as it is.

So if you want consistent wins in the Theme format, just buy Blazing Volcano and use it while it's still strong.

Edited by Sakura150612, 20 December 2018 - 11:13 PM.

20 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

In addition (and this happens not only with Blazing volcano) you'll get some very interesting cards (mainly trainers but not only) for custom decks. Some of that cards are Staples and Techs, which means can work and you could (and should) include it in any custom deck you build.

In Blazing volcano: Magcargo (2-1 line), Guzma, Lillie, Rescue stretcher. And additionally Nest ball, Tate&Liza and P Kukui. Not saying Ultra ball because you start the game with 6 in collection but yes, also UB.

Mach Strike: 2 Cynthia, Rescue stretcher, Nest ball, Escape board, and also Kukui, Escape rope, Timer ball...

Hydro fury: Magcargo (2-1), Swampert (3-2-2), Lillie, and also Apricorn maker and some of the above mentioned.

Storm caller: Naganadel (3-2), Lillie, and some repeated ones.

Leaf charge: SUM Oranguru, Lillie and Guzma.

Twilight rogue and Tropical takedown have Field blower...

Clanging thunder and Destruction fang have Energy retrieval and the first also Devoured field (stadium)...

And so on... getting every theme deck gives you a very nice pool for custom decks.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

20 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

For months, "Hidden Moon (Lunala) is too strong."

For months, "Mach Strike (Garchomp) is too strong."

Lately, "Blazing Volcano is too strong."

And yet, it's still easy to get 1st or 2nd in Events without ever playing them.

It's rock, paper, scissors, and a bit of luck.  That's the fun part, and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

20 December 2018 - 11:44 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

It's rock, paper, scissors, and a bit of luck.  That's the fun part, and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Right. I'd say the same: play Blazing Volcano, or play one of the newer water-type decks. Look at their weaknesses when choosing, and keep track of how often you face them.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

21 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

CartmanBrah007

Novice Trainer

• CartmanBrah007

I mean... that's exactly the same reason why you should use it. Plus, the way they keep the Theme meta fresh is by introducing new decks with each expansion. Blazing Volcano might be the #1 Theme Deck now, but it won't stay at the top forever.

Also, Theme Decks (sans the online exclusive Theme Decks) cannot be modified, ever. Blazing Volcano will stay as it is.

So if you want consistent wins in the Theme format, just buy Blazing Volcano and use it while it's still strong.

I really don't like that deck...too much stuff and it's really not interesting playing nowadays while everyone are using 'Blazing Volcano', i wish they would take more time to figure it out how to make this game more balanced.

21 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I really don't like that deck...too much stuff and it's really not interesting playing nowadays while everyone are using 'Blazing Volcano', i wish they would take more time to figure it out how to make this game more balanced.

They do. Like I said, the introduction of new decks every so often is what keeps the meta fresh. Depending on what they release in the next expansion, Blazing Volcano might only have a few months left before a different deck takes its place as the favorite Theme Deck.

Also, what do you mean by "too much stuff"? Care to elaborate?

21 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

CartmanBrah007

Novice Trainer

• CartmanBrah007

Also, what do you mean by "too much stuff"? Care to elaborate?

I've already elaborated. I don't like the timing, it's too much things to do, i don't feel enjoyment while waiting for opponents to figure it out what to do.

21 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I've already elaborated. I don't like the timing, it's too much things to do, i don't feel enjoyment while waiting for opponents to figure it out what to do.

That's not very elaborate if you ask me, "too much things to do" is rather vague.

And, with all due respect, you're playing the wrong game if you don't have the patience to wait for your opponent to think through their moves (or to think through your own moves, for that matter). A well constructed deck should never be an auto-pilot where you always know what to do next off the top of your head. Adapting to each scenario and coming up with the best possible play requires a bit of thinking and patience.

Plus, if you think that Blazing Volcano gives you "too much things to do", I have to let you know that you've only hit the tip of the iceberg. If Theme is too much for you, you'll never get to the main aspect of the game which is Standard and Expanded, where people can load their decks with a multitude of cards that allow several different combos and plays. Not to mention that 2+ minutes turns of your opponent comboing cards are common, which you have to patiently wait through.

Honestly, I don't see what's the fun on playing 1/2 cards and then ending your turn. The actual strategy portion of the game shows in the long games where both players fiercely struggle to win the prize race. This is much more fun than mechanically advancing turns in a game where you don't have enough things to do. 

Edited by Sakura150612, 21 December 2018 - 10:46 PM.

21 December 2018 - 09:57 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Hi can we stop offending people thanks

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

22 December 2018 - 05:29 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Sometimes, you've just got to love it, and enjoy the process.

I was just playing in a theme deck Event, and didn't think I was going to win.  Tails, tails, bad luck in general.  Yet I was playing one of those agro guys, you can tell is too confident.  It worked for most of the game, and I was playing defense.  But he had two Alolan Sandslash going, and was drawing two extra cards per turn, besides his supporters.

All the while he kept sending me Smiley faces, and Heart emoticons.  That stuff!?  You learn to blow it off, easily, whether Online or real life.  Don't let them get into your head, and start making mistakes.

I had to laugh.  He had one prize left, playing all aggressive.  Sending Smileys and Hearts still, even the last turn.  Right up until he decked himself.  ;)

Who had the last Smile? ...and took 1st place?  :D 

22 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

grommpy

Rookie Trainer

• grommpy

I like Blazing Volcano, makes Hydro Fury and Imperial Command better. Water weakness, anyone?

24 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

That isn't completely true, though.

Right now the top deck has an elemental Weakness that not just one but two other recent, solid decks can exploit.  That's a good thing, and where you're right.

Your past examples, not so much.  Hidden Moon was a bit of a pain because Lunala was [D] Weak and we didn't have a good, new [W] deck to handle its [R] half.  Bright Tide didn't count because, like I said, "good". ;)  Again, though, it was only a bit of a pain; Steel Sun and Roaring Heat were both still pretty good decks.

Mach Strike was too strong for this Format's own good because we lacked a recent [Y] Theme Deck.  Maybe Sky Guardian was supposed to have still been worth it, though it is probably just because the Theme Format is just a little bonus for the PTCGO, and the PTCGO is just a little bonus for the physical TCG, at least in the eyes of The Pokémon Company. ;)

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

04 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

CartmanBrah007

Novice Trainer

• CartmanBrah007

Sometimes, you've just got to love it, and enjoy the process.

I was just playing in a theme deck Event, and didn't think I was going to win.  Tails, tails, bad luck in general.  Yet I was playing one of those agro guys, you can tell is too confident.  It worked for most of the game, and I was playing defense.  But he had two Alolan Sandslash going, and was drawing two extra cards per turn, besides his supporters.

All the while he kept sending me Smiley faces, and Heart emoticons.  That stuff!?  You learn to blow it off, easily, whether Online or real life.  Don't let them get into your head, and start making mistakes.

I had to laugh.  He had one prize left, playing all aggressive.  Sending Smileys and Hearts still, even the last turn.  Right up until he decked himself.  ;)

Who had the last Smile? ...and took 1st place?  :D 

Very interesting story, you should write a book...

BTW, it has nothing to do with a topic.

04 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

BTW, it has nothing to do with a topic.

Sorry, it was an extension of my earlier post, about taking theme deck battles too seriously.

But it was more on-topic than your snipe comment.   ;)

Edited by RobRatt, 04 January 2019 - 10:34 PM.

05 January 2019 - 02:04 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Sorry, it was an extension of my earlier post, about taking theme deck battles too seriously.

But it was more on-topic than your snipe comment.   ;)

And thus we enter the never-ending cycle. :P

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.