Deck Construction: About the Test Deck feature.

• Please log in to reply

12 December 2018 - 12:51 AM

Pokegen85

Senior Trainer

• Pokegen85
I can see where newer players might get frustrated. The deck manager in Pokémon TCGO offers an inadequate feature in which one has the opportunity to test their deck against the AI before playing it in the VS Ladder or in tournaments. The decks that the AI are given to play are actually really terrible and not an accurate reflection of what one might find when going up against other players. The AI needs to be given better cards to play or this feature is going to continue to underwhelm.

12 December 2018 - 02:28 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

If they give better cards to AI it will defeat the purpose of the game wich is playing against other people online and the game becomes stale, like imagine an AI playing with the BDIF, people would rather play against the AI since they know AI doesn't waste time in each turn.

12 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

If they give better cards to AI it will defeat the purpose of the game wich is playing against other people online and the game becomes stale, like imagine an AI playing with the BDIF, people would rather play against the AI since they know AI doesn't waste time in each turn.

That logic would only work if the AI were actually competent with cards in the first place. But the fact is, this game's AI is hilariously bad at the game. True, it doesn't waste time with turns, but it also doesn't put any thought whatsoever into its plays - instead, if it has cards that can be played in the moment, it will play them for the sake of it, regardless of whether it benefits them or not.

12 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

That logic would only work if the AI were actually competent with cards in the first place. But the fact is, this game's AI is hilariously bad at the game. True, it doesn't waste time with turns, but it also doesn't put any thought whatsoever into its plays - instead, if it has cards that can be played in the moment, it will play them for the sake of it, regardless of whether it benefits them or not.

This.

We are talking about a game that has problems fixing game breaking bugs in a timespan of 4+ weeks. I can't even imagine how much time it would take to program an AI and then feed it millions of hours of training material to even be remotely able to play any tier one deck in the current formats.

Additionally, since oyu don't gain anything from playing against the Test Bot this would pretty much be meaningless.

I usually use the feature to test different turn 1 set ups, to figure out how consistent I can get them (which is something I would recommend new players do as well, in order to find flaws in their decks before playing against real opponents).

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

12 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
Actually, now that Felidae mentions it, the Test Deck function is pretty useful to test things that don't require any input from your opponent. I remember I used it to test my RNG experiment a while back, since most human players don't have the patience to watch me charge 10 energies on 1 Gyarados and flip coins for all eternity xdd

14 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thank you everyone for posting your feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

24 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

King-Magikarp

Novice Trainer

• King-Magikarp

How about for deck test you are able to give the AI one of your decks. My issue is that the deck test cant fully live up to the name as the AI are using very basic decks and are expanded.

25 December 2018 - 03:26 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

How about for deck test you are able to give the AI one of your decks. My issue is that the deck test cant fully live up to the name as the AI are using very basic decks and are expanded.

And then what ? The AI will still continue to make bad choices, use the wrong attacks and attach Energy to the wrong Pokemon..

You are pretty much saying “My dog has problems doing my taxes with a calculator, so I should give him a laptop”. Clearly, the device is not the issue here and neither is the deck that the AI plays.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

25 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

And then what ? The AI will still continue to make bad choices, use the wrong attacks and attach Energy to the wrong Pokemon..

You are pretty much saying “My dog has problems doing my taxes with a calculator, so I should give him a laptop”. Clearly, the device is not the issue here and neither is the deck that the AI plays.

What kind of dog do you have?  My collie has handled my taxes for years and the IRS hasn't said anything.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.