I am done trying

• Please log in to reply

05 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

After all of this time I have only made on hardly decent deck. Built at least 20-25 decks and I still can not come close to what other people have. I am tired of watching the other guy spend 2-3 minutes per turn fully setting up and getting ever single card he needs while I have to hope that I can get something that helps. This game has gotten to the point that I can predict coin flips and if I got basic pokemon at the start with 80-85%~ accuracy. Plus there is no point for me even making a working deck since I get put up against gimmick decks that can set up turn 1-2 leaving me zero chance of doing anything. I might as well do what most people do and copy the best decks and act like I am super skilled for winning with it. R.I.P any creativity I got left.

05 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

And the wheel in the sky keeps on turning

From the start to the finish and right back again

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

05 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

After all of this time I have only made on hardly decent deck. Built at least 20-25 decks and I still can not come close to what other people have. I am tired of watching the other guy spend 2-3 minutes per turn fully setting up and getting ever single card he needs while I have to hope that I can get something that helps. This game has gotten to the point that I can predict coin flips and if I got basic pokemon at the start with 80-85%~ accuracy. Plus there is no point for me even making a working deck since I get put up against gimmick decks that can set up turn 1-2 leaving me zero chance of doing anything. I might as well do what most people do and copy the best decks and act like I am super skilled for winning with it. R.I.P any creativity I got left.

I say son, you won’t get anywhere by hemming and hawing like a wild Mudbray.

05 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

To a certain degree you are right. Depending on the format your creativity can be limited, at least if you want to be able to compete with the “top decks” in the meta.

Not every card is equally strong and in the end it sometimes boils down to bigger is always better.

That being said, I got a hunch that a lot of people mistake creativity for “I just threw a bunch of cards together and now I'm angry that they don't work”.

A counterexample to this has been posted by Pokegen85 yesterday:

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/69121-magcargo-beach/

His idea is creative, however it is based on a rock solid trainer base with good distribution of Pokemon, Trainer and Energy cards. That's how you make your creativity work, by understanding the basic rules of deck building and then building your concept around those principles.

Starting out with copying other players decks isn't a bad idea too be honest. It will help to get a feel how consistent a good deck should perform and will in turn help you to become a better player (because a good deck only gives you a “free win” until your opponent has an equally strong deck and than the real game begins).

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

05 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Being creative is great, but you have to make sure that your deck will work somehow... Don't picture best case scenarios, picture worse case scenarios and what you can do about them.

Friendship is magic!

05 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

To a certain degree you are right. Depending on the format your creativity can be limited, at least if you want to be able to compete with the “top decks” in the meta.
Not every card is equally strong and in the end it sometimes boils down to bigger is always better.

That being said, I got a hunch that a lot of people mistake creativity for “I just threw a bunch of cards together and now I'm angry that they don't work”.
A counterexample to this has been posted by Pokegen85 yesterday:
[url=http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/69121-magcargo-beach/]http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/69121-magcargo-beach/[/url]

His idea is creative, however it is based on a rock solid trainer base with good distribution of Pokemon, Trainer and Energy cards. That's how you make your creativity work, by understanding the basic rules of deck building and then building your concept around those principles.

Starting out with copying other players decks isn't a bad idea too be honest. It will help to get a feel how consistent a good deck should perform and will in turn help you to become a better player (because a good deck only gives you a “free win” until your opponent has an equally strong deck and than the real game begins).

Thanks for the compliment. I was intrigued by the combo of Magcargo CES and Magcargo GX from watching a video from DarkIntegralGaming. I tried playing using the same deck he made, but I ended up losing every match. After nursing my crushed ego (he made the deck work, why couldn’t I?) I took to the Internet and discovered that his deck has a few Trainer problems, and needed more energy to reach high damage numbers). After making a few adjustments (and using Slugma CES for retreat lock instead of Slugma LOT for the hit points) I was able to take that deck from a two out of ten win to an eight out of ten win deck.

05 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

It's a pity that you've come to think this way. Like the others have pointed out, there is no shame is taking deck structures from other people and using that as a starting point. Honestly, there exists no such thing as "true originality". Literally everything that you can think of has already been thought of, and tested, by someone else. The ones that end up being "meta" are the ones that after much testing prove to be the most consistent. You can, if you want, try something "original" by exploring decks that are kind of obscure or otherwise not very well known; but again, that doesn't mean that no one else hasn't had the exact same idea yet, it just means that it didn't win often enough to become popular.

If I were you I'd discard the idea that using whichever random cards you have available counts as being "creative". I won't deny it takes ingenuity to make do with limited resources and still win, but just randomly putting together cards that have no synergy is just crippling yourself for no reason.

I've already stated my opinion on netdecking and creativity in the past. I don't feel like retyping everything again so I'm just going to quote my answer from a different thread :P

About netdecking, I don't think that's a problem either. A while ago a guy came claiming that it's "negative player experience", but never came back to check on his own thread after he found no support. There really is nothing wrong with people taking another person's deck and trying it out. If they want to succeed at it they'll have to come up with their own variation anyway. Then there's also the fact that it helps new players that don't have any experience or knowledge to build an "original deck", so going with something well known and tested is a much better choice.

You're not really just "following a recipe" and riding it to victory either. Adapting to each individual situation and consistently winning against many different decks, including the ones that counter you, takes a lot of knowledge, experience and it also takes skill. If I insisted on discarding everything turn 1 on Night March to attack for 190 damage even against Trevenant, Toad and Night March mirror matches, I would lose just about all of those games. Being flexible with the exact composition of your deck and being able to adapt to the conditions of each game is harder than repeating the exact same recipe every time. Knowing the weaknesses of your own deck, teching out your deck correctly, choosing a proportion of cards that will carry you through as many different situations as possible without bricking your deck, all of those are more complex and "copy the deck --> spam it and win".

Simply put, copying the skeleton of a deck doesn't take any "creativity", but adapting the deck and making it your own as well as piloting the deck correctly against all the different possible matchups does take some degree of "creativity" as well as flexibility on part of the player. I'll let you know that after all the time I've played and tested new decks from lists I just copied from the internet, I've never had much success on these decks before I make some serious modifications to suit my own playstyle and to adapt to the current meta and the things that I'm currently facing the most. Even leaving aside deck composition, how you choose to play each game will depend on your own judgement and not on a recipe for steamrolling every game (which doesn't exist btw).

If you want to improve your enjoyment of this game, you have to start by getting rid of any prejudices you have left about any card, deck, strategy, etc. Branding certain things as "cheap", "skill-less", "bad", what-have-you, will only detract from your own enjoyment and success. For example, in one of your older threads you said you spent god knows how many tokens on packs while hunting Timer Balls, when all you had to do was spend 500 Tokens to buy Match Strike to obtain 2 Timer Balls, 2 Cynthias and a few other good trainers with absolutely zero RNG involved in the process, but you refused to do so because you have a "grudge" against the deck. You literally wasted a bunch of tokens out of nothing but pride. I'm sorry to be harsh, but that's stupid. No one even forces you to use the deck after buying it, just take the good trainers and ditch the deck. I don't know what you've done after that since a couple of months have passed since then, but if you haven't done so already, just be practical and buy whatever theme decks give you the cards you need regardless of whether or not you intend to use the deck.

Lastly, I'm sorry but I'm not letting this one slip:

This game has gotten to the point that I can predict coin flips and if I got basic pokemon at the start with 80-85%~ accuracy.

No you can't. The RNG has been proved time and time again to be an accurate simulation of true randomness, and the distribution of random events all perfectly fit the behavior described by the statistical theory behind them. You can more than less predict what will happen in the long run using math, such as in how many games you will mulligan out of 100 games, or the chance that you will flip heads 4 out of 10 times in any given game. However, when you're playing a game and you're about to flip a coin, you have absolutely no way of predicting the exact result of that particular coin flip, because the result of a coin flip is independent of the result of previous event and it's completely random. The extent of the accuracy of your prediction is the same as the expected for the coin (50%, nowhere even close to 80%), and even then, you have zero guarantee that the result of any given coin flip will be what you predicted. Same goes to whether you'll mulligan or not; based on the number of Basic Pokemon in your deck, you can calculate the percentage of games in which you'll mulligan at least one time, but that statistic only applies over the course of several games where the theoretical percent will approach the empirical one. While facing any particular game however, you have no way of knowing beforehand whether you'll mulligan or not because the event is truly random, and thus unpredictable.

Edited by Sakura150612, 05 December 2018 - 09:42 PM.

05 December 2018 - 10:23 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Honestly, there exists no such thing as "true originality". Literally everything that you can think of has already been thought of, and tested, by someone else. The ones that end up being "meta" are the ones that after much testing prove to be the most consistent. You can, if you want, try something "original" by exploring decks that are kind of obscure or otherwise not very well known; but again, that doesn't mean that no one else hasn't had the exact same idea yet, it just means that it didn't win often enough to become popular.

I must disagree.  True, the game designers put a great deal of thought into possible combinations, and almost all the ones they miss get picked up on by players.  But occasionally, something gets missed, at least for a while- the obvious example is, of course, The Truth, but there are many others that have gone under the radar for a long time.  Certainly there are still some out there with cards from newer sets, combining with older ones.  This is, of course, more relevant in expanded, but it exists in Standard too.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

05 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I must disagree.  True, the game designers put a great deal of thought into possible combinations, and almost all the ones they miss get picked up on by players.  But occasionally, something gets missed, at least for a while- the obvious example is, of course, The Truth, but there are many others that have gone under the radar for a long time.  Certainly there are still some out there with cards from newer sets, combining with older ones.  This is, of course, more relevant in expanded, but it exists in Standard too.

Hmm, I see. I think it's a matter of perspective. My position on creativity might be a bit on the extreme end of things, but what I want the OP to learn from this is that creativity isn't an excuse to avoid like the plague anything that has been tried and tested because "it isn't creative" and because anything that isn't creative "takes no skills and is boring". I do think that pure originality doesn't exist as literally everything we create is based on things that already existed, but I guess that position may be a little too absolute. I'll concede that some new combinations can be done that went completely under the radar for a long time.

That said, I still think that in many cases the reason they go unnoticed for so long is because they just weren't strong enough to gain popularity in the first place. I won't close myself to the possibility of there being some hidden gems waiting for someone to find them, but for the most part the decks that don't see much play are just not very strong or consistent.

I'm kind of digressing here I suppose, but I don't think that OP's problem is that he's using "creative" decks though. There's a big difference between making a rouge deck that has cohesion and just throwing together random cards from your collection into a deck and calling that "creative". Even the most outlandish decks out there need a solid lineup of Pokemon and Trainers that give it the consistency it needs to make it playable, and many times that lineup is based on known, tried and tested draw engines that could hardly be called "original". Which is why I think a pursuit of pure originality is a doomed quest that's bound to end with OP being frustrated that nothing that he tries works, because using known deck structures "takes no skill" and thus avoids them. I think that, if instead of being almost morally opposed to using certain things (as was the case with Mach Strike, looking at one of his previous threads) he actually gave them a try himself, he'd see pretty quickly that there's nothing wrong with them, on top of realizing that there's nothing in this game that's an easy autopilot, faceroll free win.

Edited by Sakura150612, 06 December 2018 - 12:43 AM.

06 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Let me put some backstory to this post. I was trying to complete my daily challenge which was to knockout 12 pokemon with using steel types. Played about 20 games and still did not complete it. During these 20 games every single time I won the coin toss I said "I will have to reshuffle" and sure enough out of the 15 times I won the coin toss 13 of them I reshuffled and the other 2 times I got the worst possible starting hand. I would get zero energy/pull supporters after 5 turns while I watched the opponent fully set up. I had to, on a couple games, watch some guy spend 2-3 minutes on his first turn fully setting up and going thru over half his deck.

I probably also did not make my thoughts clear for the copying of decks. Whenever I play games I always try to win "fair and square". By that I mean that I want to win knowing that both sides had a good chance of winning. I look at copying the top decks the same as spawn camping in other games. And by doing that I would feel that I am just exploiting the easiest way to win since the only way the other person could win would be by having the exact specific deck needed to counter it. I went to expanded because I got tired of having to versus the same exact 4 decks. IT felt to me like if I were to play a mario game and only played the same 4 levels, it gets super repetitive after a while.

The whole "you just throw random cards together" thing is just a really unfair/untrue assumption. I have never just flipped a coin and said lets make a blaziken/solagleo deck. I would go thru my collection and try to see if any cards had some potential. Recently ,for example, I tried to make a muk/garbodor deck since they could both discard the opponents energy and I could try to make a deck that would drain the their energy.

Overall I am just tired of the predictability of the games and that ,according to everyone, it seems that the only way to win is by "stalking" the top players and copying any deck they make/tells you is good. It honestly feels like being that guy that buys all of the premium stuff in a game and brags about his win rate.

06 December 2018 - 02:20 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I'm sorry but you're still wrong on several different accounts.

Let me put some backstory to this post. I was trying to complete my daily challenge which was to knockout 12 pokemon with using steel types. Played about 20 games and still did not complete it.

A piece of advice. Don't take the KO challenge for deck types that you don't play, because it's a nightmare trying to farm KOs without a proper deck. This really forces you to put together a random deck with whatever you have, which is very frustrating even for more experienced players. My rule of thumb is that if I cannot complete the KO challenge with one of my main decks (Electric, Psychic, Fighting, Fairy and Grass type) or one of the stronger Theme Decks (Fire, Water, Dragon), I don't take the challenge, period. I prefer taking the "put 10 evolutions" into play challenge and receive my free 60 Tokens. You haven't even reached the point where the pack you get from KO challenges is tradeable (this happens when you're at around lvl16 I think, and when that happens the challenge will become 16 KOs instead of 12). Collecting 12 KO's with a mediocre deck that you don't even have fun playing with only to get a random tradelocked pack is not worth the suffering. Trying to diversify into 20+ different decks when you have yet to come up with a single one that works well for you is a terrible idea; forget the Daily Challenge, just make 1 or 2 decks that you feel comfortable with and only take the KO challenge if it happens to be of the type of one of the decks you already use.

During these 20 games every single time I won the coin toss I said "I will have to reshuffle" and sure enough out of the 15 times I won the coin toss 13 of them I reshuffled and the other 2 times I got the worst possible starting hand. I would get zero energy/pull supporters after 5 turns while I watched the opponent fully set up. I had to, on a couple games, watch some guy spend 2-3 minutes on his first turn fully setting up and going thru over half his deck.

This is confirmation bias at its finest. You think the game is rigged against you, so you subconsciously notice only the bad results while ignoring the positive ones. Combine this cognitive bias with your rather small data pool and you've got yourself a result that is not representative of the average. As much as I love my math and making use of it, I'm not going to make yet another study about coin flips to prove that this is wrong (at least not for the time being). But just so you know, I've collected 700+ coin flips over the course of a couple of different experiments, and I haven't found a single strange patter that could indicate that something is wrong with the RNG. There is no relevant evidence that shows that the RNG is malfunctioning or that there is a connection between winning the coin flip and having a mulligan. You're probably just using too few Basic Pokemon in your deck; when you consider that on top of that you've collected too little data and that you could be having bad luck within what would be considered a reasonable margin of error from a statistical point of view, your statement is completely flawed until you collect solid proof.

I probably also did not make my thoughts clear for the copying of decks. Whenever I play games I always try to win "fair and square". By that I mean that I want to win knowing that both sides had a good chance of winning. I look at copying the top decks the same as spawn camping in other games.

This is something you have decided completely on your own; unilaterally. From your perspective it may seem like copying a deck structure is like bringing a gun to a knife fight, but from the perspective of everyone else you're the one who is bringing a knife to a gun fight and then complains about unfairness even though you were told the rules well in advance. The last thing I would tell a new player is to not copy decks "because it's unfair", because what would REALLY be unfair is to force them to put together solid decks on their own when they have no idea how the game works and couldn't build a decent deck if their lives depended on it. Starting with something that's well known allows the players to familiarize themselves with the ins and outs of the game, which will eventually help them to make "original" decks that work properly if they so desire.

Even then, there is nothing unfair about taking well known structures and making a deck based on that. When the cards are created, they already have some natural synergy among themselves that any player who knows the game well enough could discover on their own. If absolutely no one told me anything about Night March, I would still be able to put together something very similar to what most people use without the need of "copying" anyone. Just looking at the effects of the cards it's obvious what cards work well together. So, what's the difference in practice between figuring out the deck myself and having someone else teach me the basics of the deck, if in the end the result is the same? That same "original" deck that you created could be copied by someone else, but because it's copied now it's an "unfair" deck, even if it was perfectly fair before that [according to your logic].

The idea that copying a deck is "unfair" is stupid, plain and simple. There's nothing unfair about people taking knowledge from other people and making use of it. People netdecking isn't the equivalent of spawn camping in a FPS; isolating yourself from the ideas of everyone else in the pursuit of "creativity" is the equivalent of you playing an FPS while blindfolded and then complaining that it's "unfair" that you can't see anything, even though you're the one who chose to wear the blindfold.

the only way the other person could win would be by having the exact specific deck needed to counter it.

Completely false. Any deck can beat any other deck if you've teched it out correctly, and if you chose a battle plan that fits your current matchup. If I use a deck that struggles against Night March, all I have to do is include a Karen or an Oricorio to even out the field, I don't need to run a specific counter deck. If I get destroyed by Bench damage, it's on me to use a Bench protector like Sky Pillar or Machoke. If Item Locks destroy me, it's on me to make the most out of my first turn so that I don't need items that much afterwards. 

Preparing your deck for every possible scenario is one of the places where the creativity of the player can show even when using a mostly copied deck. But you will never need to run a deck made entirely to counter a different deck; the moment you come to believe this you've already given up on making a flexible deck that can adapt to multiple situations, at which point you've already accepted defeat.

The whole "you just throw random cards together" thing is just a really unfair/untrue assumption.

Perhaps. But you're not leaving us much room to assume otherwise. If you carefully planned out what you're going to use, you wouldn't be stuck with mulligans and dead draws nearly as often. You can perfectly well make a unique deck that still has cohesion, but for that to happen you still need a solid line of Pokemon and Trainers. If you're drawing nothing but bricks then you're the one who is doing something wrong when building your decks. There is no harm in borrowing a good draw engine from a known deck, and all you're doing by refusing to do so is cause more frustration and grief for yourself.

Overall I am just tired of the predictability of the games

If this is making reference to the coin flips and mulligans, refer to my previous answer. If you mean that your opponent's moves are predictable because they always do the same thing, you literally couldn't hope for a better scenario and I have no idea what you're complaining about. If they're so predictable, take advantage of that predictability. You can build whatever deck you want, but that doesn't mean that you can't make your deck adaptable and prepared to face well established strategies, all of that without centering your entire deck around countering specific strategies. You just do your own thing, and include a few techs to deal with specific problems.

it seems that the only way to win is by "stalking" the top players and copying any deck they make/tells you is good.

Says who? We have plenty of players who use rouge decks and do perfectly fine with them. Known, tried and tested strategies work well obviously, but who ever said that they are the only ones that can work? Plus, just copy/pasting a supposedly "top" deck and then autopilot spamming it will not guarantee good results. Using something that you yourself know well enough to use and that you're comfortable with is far more efficient than copying whatever happens to be "OP" at the moment and then having your *** handed to you because you realize that you have no idea of what you're doing.

You're just not being reasonable dude. It's no wonder to me anymore why you struggle so much, you're taking several stupid self-imposed restrictions that make no sense at all. You're obviously going to be frustrated if you keep trying to shackle yourself down because in your own world it's somehow "unfair" using public information to become a better player and learn to make better decks.

Edited by Sakura150612, 06 December 2018 - 02:55 AM.

06 December 2018 - 03:20 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I do not know how much more of my decks should be energy and draw support. I have 20-26 cards in my decks that are energy and draw support. I also guess I am going to look up the top deck right now and see if I have the cards to copy it. Than I will check the top deck every week or so and copy it if I can.

06 December 2018 - 03:24 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Nope cant make them. R.I.P me.

06 December 2018 - 03:44 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I do not know how much more of my decks should be energy and draw support. I have 20-26 cards in my decks that are energy and draw support. I also guess I am going to look up the top deck right now and see if I have the cards to copy it. Than I will check the top deck every week or so and copy it if I can.

Nope cant make them. R.I.P me.

How many energies, how many supporters, how many items? If you're running 20 energies that'd be a big issue. I don't think you are, but the actual proportion matters so that's why I'm asking. Given that you're putting them in the same category, I'll tell you now that many times not drawing energies is a problem of the trainers you're using and not the number of energies, and in fact increasing the number of energies might just end up bricking your deck even further. I'd have to see the exact decklist to say for sure, but generally speaking using the right trainers (not just Supporters, but trainers in general and specially the items that you use) is the solution. Some decks exceptionally need a massive amount of energies (BKT Typhlosion comes to mind. Blacephalon-GX also needs a lot of energies because it sends them to the Lost Zone), but for the most part you'll never benefit from using much more than 12 energies. Depending on the deck, you might be able to get away with as few as only 4 DCE and nothing else.

You also don't need to copy top decks card by card. Just take draw engines that work and fit in tech cards that your decks can benefit from. In fact, I already mentioned (although it seems that you didn't read it) that copying a top deck card by card is nowhere close to as good as using a deck that you're comfortable using (which can take structures and ideas from other well established decks, which are not necessarily top decks atm). Straight up copy/pasting a deck and never looking back is not a good idea.

Here it is, since it looks like you skipped it:

Plus, just copy/pasting a supposedly "top" deck and then autopilot spamming it will not guarantee good results. Using something that you yourself know well enough to use and that you're comfortable with is far more efficient than copying whatever happens to be "OP" at the moment and then having your *** handed to you because you realize that you have no idea of what you're doing.

If you can't be bothered to read long posts that's fine, but don't say latter that you weren't given proper advice.

Edited by Sakura150612, 06 December 2018 - 03:50 AM.

06 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I read it. I just wanted to copy it card by card since it seems that I do not have any deck that I am comfortable with. The deck that I was using has 11 energy. I might just scrap it since all my decks suck.

06 December 2018 - 04:38 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I read it. I just wanted to copy it card by card since it seems that I do not have any deck that I am comfortable with. The deck that I was using has 11 energy. I might just scrap it since all my decks suck.

Hmm, I see. Then I assumed too much, sorry for that. 

Rather than looking straight for whatever is at the top right now, try finding something that looks good and isn't too expensive. I know that that's a very generic statement that probably won't help much, but one thing you can do is search for decks containing some of the cards you already own and that you want to use. You can use someone else's structure for that deck as a starting point, and make modifications based on what you have, what you can obtain and what feels more comfortable (although that last one is something you can only learn through experience).

We may be harsh with our criticism at times, but you'll see that our community is quite willing to help out new players as long as they're open to listening to what we have to say, and this help includes aiding them in obtaining key cards that they're missing. I can't give out Tapu Leles obviously, but I do give out other things (depending on how many cards and packs I own currently), and I do so gladly.

Just keep an open mind and everything will start looking much better. I don't know if I managed to change your mind with respect to the idea of "cheap" or "unfair" tactics (specially in regards to netdecking), but I really hope I did, because that's a really big roadblock for both your own enjoyment of the game as well as the progress you make as a trainer.

06 December 2018 - 04:58 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I looked at the top 38 decks and I am missing the main or secondary pokemon for the decks. If I have the main or secondary ones, it needs like 3 or 4 of them and I only got 1 or 2.

06 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I looked at the top 38 decks and I am missing the main or secondary pokemon for the decks. If I have the main or secondary ones, it needs like 3 or 4 of them and I only got 1 or 2.

And that's exactly how Building decks science works.

Good decks are not made with "what I have in collection". NEVER. Good decks are made with good ideas. Good ideas about cards working together, and if you don't have it, you MUST get it. It's in the name of the game: Pokémon TRADING card game. It's same if you buy it of course, that's the point of this game existing. Starkly, a business.

Pokémon gives you A LOT of free stuff. And gives you the tools to get more valuable free stuff like tradable packs. Gives you the main currency of the game for trading. Use that tools.

Basic "rule" for deck building is, 'if it's important, add more than one' and I wouldn't need to say but, 'because if prized, what!' (aka 'you're lost'). And frankly, most decks are built around 4 main attackers, That shouldn't be a weird think nor an excuse to not build a deck. In addition recovery tools to revive that 4 just in case use to be added to decks which probably means if we could have 5 of a card, that would be the number for some.

Most important cards to get are trainers. And you only have to get it once. When you get the right trainers you're able to build every good-to-meta deck out there just getting the strong attackers needed. That's still maybe 10 to 20 packs for every (mainly) GX card you need. But even with a flipped coin random pokémon chosen, you still could make a deck work with the proper trainers. Of course this doesn't mean you'll be able to win to the Meta decks with that. But it would mean you have knowledge enough in deck building to make your own creations.

Pokemon have rules and a competitive environment. That are Meta, net decking, having to spend packs in powerful cards... you can play your own rules of course: never use a GX, never use a deck seen in a tournament, play only basics, playing only original ideas. It's OK. But then you can't complain this not being the rules of everyone else.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

06 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

ok then. What do I need to trade to get the best cards/what are the best cards?

06 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison

ok then. What do I need to trade to get the best cards/what are the best cards?

Depends on what deck you wanna build. Generic staple cards in standard are:

Cynthia - lets you shuffle your hand and draw 6 cards. The best draw support we have right now and should be a 4x in every deck.

Guzma - lets you choose an opponents pokemon to switch in but you have to switch in a new pokemon too. Allows you to KO key pokemon in an opponents deck and should be at least a 3x if not 4x in every deck.

Tapu Lele GX - her ability lets you pull a supporter from your deck. The best support pokemon we have right now because she allows you to extend plays or reset dead hands. Very expensive but worth every pack. I run 2 and that seems to work pretty well.

Zoroark GX - a stage 1 pokemon that allows you to discard one card to draw two cards. This ability stacks so you can use it 4 times to draw 8 cards. Hard to get because the packs (Shining Legends) cannot be bought with coins. Also has a cheap attack that will do more damage the more pokemon you have in play for a dce (double colorless) so it can fit in any deck.

Ultra Ball - you discard two cards to grab ANY pokemon in your deck. Run 4x in every deck.

There's other cards like Magcargo, Oranguru, Lillie, Kiawe, and so on. I think it would be easier to see a deck list and see how you built your deck then you can get suggestions on how to improve.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"