Help with Charizard-GX/Ho-Oh GX deck

• Please log in to reply

02 December 2018 - 07:26 AM

TheAdrienC

Rookie Trainer

• TheAdrienC
Greetings!

I had a deck built around some of these cards in the Expanded tier with cards such as Houndoom-EX and Blacksmith really pairing well with these cards. But I wanted to move into the Standard tier. And while I'm getting some victories, I feel like I'm losing more often than I'd like. Facing water type decks is almost an auto-lose for me. Are there any suggestions you all can throw out there to perhaps improve this deck? Love to hear what you guys think!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 22

* 3 Charmander BUS 18
* 1 Entei LOT 47
* 1 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 21
* 2 Slugma LOT 43
* 2 Torchic DRM 4
* 1 Victini {*} DRM 7
* 1 Charmeleon BUS 19
* 2 Charmeleon DRM 2
* 1 Combusken CES 27
* 1 Combusken DRM 5
* 2 Magcargo CES 24
* 2 Blaziken DRM 6
* 2 Charizard DRM 3
* 1 Charizard-GX BUS 20

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Heat Factory {*} LOT 178
* 1 Fiery Flint DRM 60
* 2 Sophocles BUS 123
* 1 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 1 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Copycat CES 127
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Kiawe BUS 116
* 2 Rare Candy PRC 135
* 1 Acro Bike CES 123
* 1 Exp. Share NXD 87

##Energy - 18

* 18 Fire Energy  2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

02 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Welcome to the Putsgof! :)  That's a fiery deck- I can feel the heat all the way over here on Iron Island.  I like your pokemon, but I think there are some things we could do to make it more consistent.  For example, you have a lot of evolution lines.  Too many of those can slow a deck down and make it miss more often, so I think you could get rid of Blaziken and be fine- it seems like your weakest attacker.   I'm also not sure about Entei.  It's good to have more basic attackers, of course, but this one seems pretty reliant on luck of the discard (if you catch my drift).  Reshiram SLg or Turtonator-GX might be better options, or you could even try a pokemon of a different type.  There don't seem to be any good grass ones, unfortunately, but psychic, electric, and a few other types have some good pokemon for the slot.  Now, for charizard- I think this is one of your strongest pokemon.  The normal one can OHKO most non-GX pokemon and all GXs, especially if you add choice band.  The GX... it seems less good to me.  It's GX attack is solid, but if that's all you're using it for, and it takes three energy, is it really worth it?  I feel like it'll be giving up more prizes than it's worth- so it could be good to switch it with a second normal form.

How many Cynthia do you have?  She's the best draw supporter around right now, so you should probably put four in here.  If you need more, the Mach Strike theme deck has 2.  It would also probably help to run four Ultra Ball- it's usually worth the discard to be able to get anything you need.  I would say cut the Exp. Share, Flint, Sophocles, and four fire energy.  That should give you space for more acro bike if you want it, but also cards like Lillie, Choice Band, Altar of the Sunne, Guzma, Rescue Stretcher, and Field Blower.

It might seem like having less energy will make it too hard to power up attacks, but more draw cards will help you find the energy you have, plus everything else you need.  And good luck!

Edited by SuperStone, 02 December 2018 - 06:20 PM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

03 December 2018 - 01:51 AM

TheAdrienC

Rookie Trainer

• TheAdrienC

The purpose of Blaziken is less for attacking, more for getting fire energy from the discard pile to my benched Pokemon, sometimes a Charizard in the waiting.

03 December 2018 - 04:22 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

The purpose of Blaziken is less for attacking, more for getting fire energy from the discard pile to my benched Pokemon, sometimes a Charizard in the waiting.

Yeah, I thought about that...  Is it worth it?  As a stage two, I'm not sure it 1) gets out fast enough to speed up attachment or 2) is consistent enough itself to increase your attacking consistency.

I'm not targeting it specifically, I just thought it was the most obvious thing to cut, as it's six cards right there.  You can certainly try something else- but I definitely think it's a good idea to shave down the pokemon count.

Edited by SuperStone, 03 December 2018 - 12:37 PM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

03 December 2018 - 04:59 AM

TheAdrienC

Rookie Trainer

• TheAdrienC

Perhaps I can only put one Blaziken in here and see how that works.

The Reshiram you recommended. Shining Legends with Outrage and Scorching Breath, right? I'm gonna try to acquire him tonight.

Also, I know you mentioned lessening energys for draw power, but would that mean ditching Heat Factory too?

03 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Perhaps I can only put one Blaziken in here and see how that works.

The Reshiram you recommended. Shining Legends with Outrage and Scorching Breath, right? I'm gonna try to acquire him tonight.

Also, I know you mentioned lessening energys for draw power, but would that mean ditching Heat Factory too?

No, the stadium's good.  As long as you don't use it too many times, you should still have enough energy to attack.