John Denver Tribute Thread

• Please log in to reply

28 November 2018 - 01:45 AM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

I've got another Solgaleo GX deck (It's my favorite Sun & Moon Pokemon). This one is a bit expensive, and focuses on Ultra Road Solgaleo GX as the attacker and Dusk Mane Necrozma GX as a back up attacker. The deck's secret weapon is Dialga GX, which can speed up the draw power, comes with three Tapu Lele GX cards to pull Brigette and Olivia, and even has an Ace-rola in the hole for Lele recycle or prize denial. The deck's synergy comes from pulling energy out of discard with Shining Mane Solgaleo GX, Solgaleo (*), and the four Mt. Coronet stadiums. I call this one Rocky Mountain High to honor Denver's 1972 folk rock song, Colorado Rocky Mountain High. I'm still play testing this deck, but I've seen positive results thus far so I'm sharing it with you all here. I hope everyone has a delightful week! :)

-----------------------------------------
Rocky Mountain High
-----------------------------------------

Pokémon - 15

* 1 Dialga-GX FLI 82
* 1 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX UPR 90
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 2 Solgaleo-GX PR-SM SM104
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65

Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Sightseer LOT 189
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Olivia BUS 119
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 166
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Gladion CIN 109
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

Energy - 10

* 2 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 8 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7

Total Cards - 60

Edited by Pokegen85, 28 November 2018 - 01:46 AM.

28 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

What is the main reason for the deck to be expanded? All pokémon are standard. Brigette? Looks good anyway.

I wouldn't play an expanded deck without Vs seeker though. And I would love to play Solgaleo. But the promo is so expensive I cannot.

Thanks for sharing, don't forget to update with W/L :D

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

28 November 2018 - 11:22 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

My thoughts exactly. Playing Expanded and not utilizing cards like VS Seeker, N, etc. feels like a wasted opportunity.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

28 November 2018 - 11:37 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

No Sycamore either. I don't understand why you're so reluctant to use Seekers and Sycamore, I've seen you do the same on the other deck discussion threads. I mean, to each his own, right? It's entirely up to you and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just curious about your reason for that though, because you're really shooting yourself in the foot by playing without them in Expanded. If you really don't want to use them, you're better off removing the Computer Search and the Karen and just play this deck in Standard instead.

29 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
The omission of N was an accident actually. I worked a copy in by tossing a Cynthia to potentially disrupt my opponent late game. I’m expanded with Solgaleo GX until I can save enough packs for at least one more Alolan Ninetales LOT (going for about 20 LOT packs atm) and Professor Elm’s lecture to replace Brigette. I don’t feel comfortable rocking stage two cards in Standard because of my issue with being unable to consistently grab rare candies without something like Alolan Ninetales LOT or Computer Search. You’ll find that I made a gripe thread in feedback about Order Pad. That was from me trying to force this deck into standard before getting Alolan Ninetales GX LOT and fuming over almost always coming up tails and losing games for lack of speed. Oops!

My omission of Sycamore is because I don’t want to have to concede a game because I get a brick with two or more rare candies. I have no viable item card recovery, or I might just consider it.

I hate VS Seeker in all honesty. I have four, and I’ve used them in the past. Cutting draw supporter or other supporters like Guzma in favor of the utility that VS Seeker brings sounds great at first, but half the time I draw VS Seeker before the Supporter, and end up in a bad situation because I can’t magically make it appear out of thin air without using one of my Tapu Lele GX. I save the Lele in this deck for Brigette and Olivia; I have a third that I can place down for flexibility. Tapu Lele are multiple use, whereas VS Seeker are single (or even no use if you must discard them to get out from under a brick). Again, the issue here is with item recovery more than anything else.

I’ll be happy to share my win/played data in a week. I want to be able to run at least fifty games to have a good idea of where this deck stands. Until next time! :)

29 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

When he first came to the mountains his life was far away

On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changing fast and it don't last for long

But the Colorado rocky mountain high

I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high

-John Denver

The laughter was like music, it did float my soul along for a while

And all it really needed was the proper point of view

-James Taylor

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

29 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changing fast and it don't last for long

But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high

-John Denver

The laughter was like music, it did float my soul along for a while
And all it really needed was the proper point of view
-James Taylor

That was beautiful! Thank you.

Denver’s life ended too soon. He had a beautiful voice and tremendous talent for writing and composing songs. He never should have got in that plane. RIP :(

29 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Hmm. I still don't get why Expanded in that case though. As amazing as Computer Search is, it won't increase the consistency of your deck enough to make up for playing in Expanded with effectively zero Expanded cards besides the Computer Search. There are so many more tools (I don't mean tool cards, I say "tool" in a general meaning) available in Expanded that you wouldn't be able to use in Standard, and your opponents can (and WILL) use them, putting you at a massive disadvantage. You really should just remove the Computer Search and play Standard.

I guess you'd have to remove the Brigette too, but if you're concerned with getting out you Cosmogs turn 1 Professor Elm could do the job too. You should up the number of Ultra Balls to 4 as well, since it's your ticket to get a Lele when stuck (and of course, it will also get you any other Pokemon you need).

I think 4 Mt. Coronet is overkill. I've tried in the past using 4 copies of my Stadium of choice, but it rarely ever makes a different. So long as you're smart about when you drop your Stadium card, 3 should be more than enough to keep stadium control for the entirety of the game. If you're really concerned with that, you could tech in 1 Lusamine to always have the choice to recover them (although tbh, I would only recommend using her in Expanded so that you can discard her whenever and then use her with VS Seekers. I almost never run a single copy of any Supporter in Standard because of the lack of VS Seeker). In that regard, you have the same problem with Acerola. No VS Seekers means you can only use her once, and only if you weren't forced to discard her earlier (because lets be honest, even if you have a Sightseer or something you should still discard your entire hand if you're stuck, because that single card you didn't draw could have been the one you needed).

You could consider taking 2 Field Blower instead of 1, even if you're using 3-4 Stadiums. Tool removal can make a big difference. And that's not to mention that if you're playing in Expanded you're bound to see Garbodors. Being completely ability locked means you lose your turn effectively. Now they don't even ability lock themselves anymore, because they're taking Klefki to keep the lock for the duration of your turn only. I used to take only 1 Field Blower on a lot of decks, specially on the more tight decks where I felt I needed the space that the Field Blower was taking up. But in the end, being able to remove tools twice is just too good. 

If you want to stay in Expanded after all, you could consider using Shaymin-EX. It's basically a Lillie that doesn't use your supporter of the turn, so it helps a great deal with consistency. I suppose that your bench might be a bit cramped in this deck, but you can think about it.

I think you should be using Battle Compressors too though. You don't need 4 in a non discard heavy deck, but even using just 2 is really helpful. You can discard energies straight from the deck that you can attack with Solgaleo-GX promo, or bring to your hand with Mt. Coronet to attach from the hand. You can also discard things you don't need in that particular game (for example, you can discard the Karen if you think you won't need her, because it would be a dead draw otherwise). And of course, recovering Supporters via VS is a massive help. If in your first turn you have a Compressor and a Seeker, your Seeker basically reads now as "play any supporter you want straight from your deck", no need to drop a Lele.

You know, you REALLY should be using 4 VS Seekers. I cannot think of a more powerful consistency item in the game. It opens your options so much, and it makes discarding hands much less punishing because you can always recover any Supporters you lose. I think you've got it backwards with the Lele and VS Seekers. Tapu Lele-GX is single-use for certain; it's a very useful card, but I can't understand what you mean by "multiple use", because you literally just drop it on the bench for a supporter, once, and then it just sits there warming the bench. With VS Seeker, as soon as you've discarded (or used) a Supporter, from that point onward all of your VS Seekers will come online for the rest of the game. You can open the game with a Tapu Lele-GX to search for a draw Supporter, and from then on you can keep recycling the same supporter with Seekers without having to drop another Lele. Then there's the Battle Compressor combo, meaning that a VS Seeker can even save you from a bad hand on your first turn.

I'm sorry but there really is no excuse to not use VS Seeker in Expanded xd I understand your reasons, but I don't think you're right after all.

29 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

(1) I guess you'd have to remove the Brigette too, but if you're concerned with getting out you Cosmogs turn 1 Professor Elm could do the job too.

(2) I think you should be using Battle Compressors too though. You don't need 4 in a non discard heavy deck, but even using just 2 is really helpful. You can discard energies straight from the deck that you can attack with Solgaleo-GX promo, or bring to your hand with Mt. Coronet to attach from the hand. You can also discard things you don't need in that particular game (for example, you can discard the Karen if you think you won't need her, because it would be a dead draw otherwise). And of course, recovering Supporters via VS is a massive help. If in your first turn you have a Compressor and a Seeker, your Seeker basically reads now as "play any supporter you want straight from your deck", no need to drop a Lele.

(3) You know, you REALLY should be using 4 VS Seekers. I cannot think of a more powerful consistency item in the game. It opens your options so much, and it makes discarding hands much less punishing because you can always recover any Supporters you lose. I think you've got it backwards with the Lele and VS Seekers. Tapu Lele-GX is single-use for certain; it's a very useful card, but I can't understand what you mean by "multiple use", because you literally just drop it on the bench for a supporter, once, and then it just sits there warming the bench. With VS Seeker, as soon as you've discarded (or used) a Supporter, from that point onward all of your VS Seekers will come online for the rest of the game. You can open the game with a Tapu Lele-GX to search for a draw Supporter, and from then on you can keep recycling the same supporter with Seekers without having to drop another Lele. Then there's the Battle Compressor combo, meaning that a VS Seeker can even save you from a bad hand on your first turn.

(1) i was tempted to say that.but actually, Brigette can get any basic GX and Elm's is only for the Cosmogs. Brigette can get Dialga GX, DM Necrozma and Solgaleo Prism sta and that's a good reason to tech her. But not reason enough to play Expanded, if she's the only card forcing to do it. At the end, C Search it's only the Ace spec you must add if you find yourself in Expanded but the deck is "the same" removing it for Standard.

(2) It's a good advice. Battle compressor it's an excellent tech in any Expanded deck. Even one, sometimes makes the game. Usually when you play Trainer's mail.

(3) Nothing to add, it just was in my first comment.

Either way at the end, each plays what they want :lol:

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

29 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

(1) i was tempted to say that.but actually, Brigette can get any basic GX and Elm's is only for the Cosmogs. Brigette can get Dialga GX, DM Necrozma and Solgaleo Prism sta and that's a good reason to tech her. But not reason enough to play Expanded, if she's the only card forcing to do it. At the end, C Search it's only the Ace spec you must add if you find yourself in Expanded but the deck is "the same" removing it for Standard.

(2) It's a good advice. Battle compressor it's an excellent tech in any Expanded deck. Even one, sometimes makes the game. Usually when you play Trainer's mail.

(3) Nothing to add, it just was in my first comment.

Either way at the end, each plays what they want :lol:

Yeah, we're in agreement with all of those. 

Although, I think OP would still benefit from giving VS Seekers another try. It's going to make his playing experience more enjoyable once he gets the hang of it.

30 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

Fine... you win. I remade my deck to accommodate VS Seeker and Trainer's Mail. I don't have room for Battle Compressor or for a fourth VS Seeker or Trainer's Mail... unless you have any suggestions for cards that I could drop. Here's the best that I could do being constrained by the 60 card deck limit:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rocky Mountain High - "Expanded Friendly" Edition

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 14

* 1 Dialga-GX FLI 82
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65

Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 2 Olivia BUS 119
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 N NVI 92
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 3 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Gladion CIN 109
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121

Energy - 10

Total Cards - 60

Edited by Pokegen85, 30 November 2018 - 06:51 PM.

02 December 2018 - 02:27 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Fine... you win. I remade my deck to accommodate VS Seeker and Trainer's Mail. I don't have room for Battle Compressor or for a fourth VS Seeker or Trainer's Mail... unless you have any suggestions for cards that I could drop. Here's the best that I could do being constrained by the 60 card deck limit:

Suggestions for cards you could drop: :)

1 Mt. Coronet- as long as you aren't actively discarding and reusing energy (cough alolan dugrio cough), you probably don't even need three of the stadium.  Unless you regularly get thewacked by prism-star stadiums or run plum out or energy, I think two should work just fine.  Just try not to play them until they're necessary.

The max potion- is this really a deck that can use it?  You do have prism-solgaleo, which certainly helps, but except on the one or maybe two turns you'll be able to use its attack, you can only really make a Pax motion on pokemon with no energy attached- which are neither the main targets nor what needs preservation most.  If you can consistently take advantage of them, keep them.  The card's OP.  But if you can't...

2 Olivia- are you sure she's worth it?  I'd usually recommend search items above it- especially since Heavy Ball can get prism-Sol and cosmoem, plus everything she can- except Lele, which you won't want to use after her anyway. :P If you're staying Expanded- which you certainly seem to want to do- heavy ball is perfect for the deck.

Also, to Felidae_: I'm glad you decided to leave that nonsense post up.  :D Just in case, I saved a copy (and reduced it to one-point font), but it doesn't look like that'll be necessary.  I've extracted some pretty beautiful quotes- if I find a situation to use one, I'll cite it like this: "Quottus de Quoteria quotes Quijote"-F_

We're not forgetting about this.  It was too gorgeous.  :wub: 

Edited by SuperStone, 02 December 2018 - 03:34 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

02 December 2018 - 02:50 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Pax motion 

This is totally unrelated to the thread, but have you by any chance played Conker's BFD (uh, am I even allowed to talk about that game? Ah well, they can delete my post if this is too much xd)? That sounds awfully similar to Mepsi Pax.

02 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

This is totally unrelated to the thread, but have you by any chance played Conker's BFD (uh, am I even allowed to talk about that game? Ah well, they can delete my post if this is too much xd)? That sounds awfully similar to Mepsi Pax.

No, I had never heard of it. :P Took a look, though- I'm honestly surprised Nintendo licensed something like that.  But then again, their... less advertised games do tend toward a different audience, don't they?

I can see the comparison.  It really does reversorade the exact same as Pepsi Max, doesn't it.

Edited by SuperStone, 02 December 2018 - 03:32 AM.

02 December 2018 - 03:28 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

No, I had never heard of it. :P Took a look, though- I'm honestly surprised Nintendo licensed something like that.  But then again, their... less advertised games do tend toward a different audience, don't they?

I can see the comparison.  It really does reversorade the exact same as Pepsi Max, doesn't it.

I'm honestly just as surprised too xd And the shock doesn't end there either. The Conker games had always been children's games up to then, and on top of that, Conker's BFD (which was going to be published as Conker's Quest originally) was also designed and advertised as a cute children's game almost all the way up to the actual release. And then... something very, very dark happened xd

But yes, the Pax Motion sounded really close to Mepsi Pax, so I thought it might have been on purpose. Mepsi Pax was actually somewhat of an inside joke. One of the developers was known for having a really large beard and drinking a lot of Pepsi Max, so they made a character called Birdy that likes "Mepsi Pax" (they did that to get around licensing issues). The whole thing is pretty hilarious xd 

05 December 2018 - 02:44 AM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

Okay... I've decided to pack up and leave. Goodbye.

I'm not leaving Pokemon TCGO, ya big sillies! I'm just refitting this deck into a standard deck. The expanded format has given me too many darn headaches as of late. Without further ado, I give you my deck list for standard.

Deck Name: Rocky Mountain High

Pokémon - 17

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX LOT 132
* 1 Shuckle-GX LOT 17
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Lillie UPR 125
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 166
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Sightseer LOT 189
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128

Energy - 10

Total Cards - 60

This deck has been reworked to be as fast as possible. I've trimmed out the Tapu Lele GX cards and replaced them with Alolan Ninetales GX for more reliable access to Rare Candies. I added Shuckle GX to serve as a trump card versus Lost March. Dialga GX is gone to make room for it. 

I've given Olivias, Prof. Elm, and Apricorn Maker the permanent heave ho. I now run four Nest Ball to pull my Cosmog and other basics (in addition to the Alolan Vulpix). I've cut my Ultra Balls down to three. Acerola is gone (Bye Felicia!). I have also cut Pal Pad after being irritated in a match where I pulled it instead of a draw supporter that I needed. I now have something close to the draw supporter formula that is being used by my Magcargo GX deck; four Lillies, three Cynthia, two Sightseer, and one Tate & Liza. I'm rolling four Mt. Coronet because I absolutely positively have to have that third metal energy card to attack, and since I have no room to add more metal energy, I need all four Mt. Coronet for the Solgaleo GX synergy to work during long slug it out matches.

My only regret is keeping Tate & Liza instead of using a third Sightseer, but FA Tate & Liza is just too darn purdy to let go of. Oh well, if it costs me matches so be it.

11 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

This deck is about as good as the Solgaleo GX team can get... I've replaced two metal energies with two rainbow energies to have access to the attacks that Alolan Ninetales brings, dropped one Sightseer for an additional Guzma, and removed a Mt. Coronet and replaced it with a Field Blower. The deck is decent enough in standard, netting me wins over the popular Lost March and Gardevior GX decks on a regular basis. I do NOT recommend using this in expanded because you're at the mercy of the whims of Trevenant and Seismitoad EX. The deck sets up relatively fast, but is still vulnerable to item and ability locks.

Rocky Mountain High: The Final Cut

Pokémon - 17

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX LOT 132
* 1 Shuckle-GX LOT 17
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 4 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Lillie UPR 125
* 3 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Sightseer LOT 189
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128

Energy - 10

* 6 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7
* 2 Rainbow Energy CES 151

Total Cards - 60

To answer the questions SuperStone asked earlier:

1) Yes, I'm constantly discarding and recycling energy to use my attacks; Ultra Road Solgaleo GX and Dusk Mane Necrozma discard three energy after using an attack, and since Shining Mane Solgaleo GX only restores two, I'm constantly needing to get a third energy attached to use the attack, thus Mt. Coronet is a must have.

2) Ultra Road Solgaleo GX discards its energy to use its attack, and usually takes damage from the other player in the next turn. I like use Max Potion as soon as I regain control to delete the damage taken and then switch in Shining Mane Solgaleo GX or Ultra Prism Solgaleo to load up Ultra Road Solgaleo GX again.

3) Olivia was never worth it, as I discovered. The card is a red herring, meant to look useful but is essentially a headache to have. I feel the same way about Brigette and Prof. Elm's Lecture as well. I'd rather have Nest Balls and Ultra Balls instead so I can use draw supporters (Cynthia, Lillie, Sightseer) to dig up cards that are far and away more useful to me.

Edited by Pokegen85, 11 December 2018 - 10:36 PM.