Can't Beat Zach

• Please log in to reply

26 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

Scarlet_Thunder

Rookie Trainer

• Scarlet_Thunder

This is my first day on this game and I can't defeat the first opponent in the trainer challenge because the decks it limits me to are HORRIBLE and Zach has pokemon that can defeat mine in two attacks.

I don't understand. There is no difficulty option either. I've been trying to figure this out for hours and I am very irritated. I'd simply go on to player vs. player battles however it's my first day thus, everyone can beat me in a matter of moments. There's no way I can advance in this game. 

26 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
I'm very surprised to hear you say this since the AI Trainers are generally regarded as being garbage. By you first day, do you mean it's your first time playing online, or your first time playing Pokemon TCG in either online or physical? Also, what deck are you using? All of the default decks should be able to beat the AI Trainers handily, but maybe we can recomend you a different deck to get started.

27 November 2018 - 12:49 AM

GR0

Trainer

• GR0

I'm not surprised TC has such problems: the AI itself may be terrible, but the decks they wield are better than most non-Sun/Moon decks. Especially the Starter Decks are trouble since you start with a weaker version you still have to unlock some cards for. An experienced player can work around their deck's weakness and win by skill, but a new player has a pretty low chance to pass by even Zach. The removal of the difficulty options was 1 of the worst decisions ever. Heck, even for experienced players it can be incredibly difficult with some of the weak Theme Decks such as Chaos Control.

@TC: the best thing to do is try and get 500 Trainer Tokens, then go to the shop and buy either Imperial Command or Blazing Volcano: they're IMO the easiest decks for the Trainer Challenge. Imperial Command is IMO the best deck overall (even in PvP for Theme Deck duels) and is easy to wield: the most basic strategy is to just load up an Empoleon with 2 energy, fill the bench, then beat everything with its first attack. Blazing Volcano is IMO even better in Trainer Challenge, but it's weaker in PvP and is for a new player harder to handle as it's a combo-oriented deck.

Also, a very useful thing to remember is that the AI will NEVER switch a Pokemon (unless an effect forces them to). This is particularly useful against Kendall (who you face 4x in total), as when she has Dedenne in play you can just switch to a Pokemon holding 0 energy and watch as Kendall's unable to do anything and just decks herself out. But also against others it's a very useful thing to know you don't need to be afraid of a switch.

Edited by GR0, 27 November 2018 - 12:53 AM.

28 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Also, a very useful thing to remember is that the AI will NEVER switch a Pokemon (unless an effect forces them to). This is particularly useful against Kendall (who you face 4x in total), as when she has Dedenne in play you can just switch to a Pokemon holding 0 energy and watch as Kendall's unable to do anything and just decks herself out. But also against others it's a very useful thing to know you don't need to be afraid of a switch.

Unless they have a Switch or Escape rope card or another Trainer. But yes, they never (manually) Retreat.

AI trainers use all their resources, always. Even if it's the worst play ever. Sycamore the hand with 3 card in draw pile? They do to auto-deck out.

They will always add an energy, even to pokémon are going to be KOed this turn.

They will always use their items/tools, even in useless pokémon or almost KOed ones.

They will always play a supporter, if in hand.

They will always use their abilities, even switching a set up pokémon and promoting a weak with no energies one or leaving the pokémon without energies to attack (if the ability heals them or poison you, or whatever)

But still knowing everything and being experienced, there are Theme decks that are so slow and weak that can't beat Zack, or other trainers. Mainly HGSS and some of the B/W ones (Plasma Genesect deck is a pain :( for example).

But anyway, one way or another, you should be able to beat the AI trainers with the starter decks, at least in Gold league.

Try to promote active any pokémon that can last a couple turns and keep a powerful one in bench. Set up the powerful one and leave the other be KOed. Go on with all the power of the new one. That can work sometimes.

The other option is keep trying, once and again, until Zach just have so bad hand that plays only 1 pokémon and nothing in bench and you KO it before he can add anything to bench. And if he can, probably can stand behind you through the whole game not able to set up properly nothing else for a win.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

29 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

GR0

Trainer

• GR0

As far as I know, none of them use any cards that make them switch (except for some attacks, but those are very obvious). So unless the player itself uses Escape Rope or something, an AI switch will never happen except through an attack.

And yeah, the AI always uses abilities. That's particularly hilarious with the Grass/Fire trainer (such a shame you face him only once), since he will keep using Victreebel's ability over and over, burning out all his Grass Energies (which he already has very little of, since he NEVER uses Herbal Energy and has other spaces filled with DCE and Fire Energies). Especially bad if he also has Ludicolo in play, because he will then use Ludicolo's ability giving a 50/50 chance of nullifying the status effects he just placed with Victreebel. He also keeps decking himself out with all his Sycamores, Acro Bikes, etcetera.

Edited by GR0, 29 November 2018 - 10:17 PM.