Ever watch the Japanese version of the anime?

• Please log in to reply

23 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hey, out of curiosity, has anybody ever watched the anime in Japanese, or what I would like to call, the original version of each episode?  Mainly to see how different it sounds in another language, or seeing what gets left out before it reaches, for example, US soil?

Been thinking about watching the anime from Japan, just to get a different perspective on the show, while also, checking out some key differences between the two.  But my biggest problem is finding them.  Oh well, no pain, no gain I guess.

23 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Japanese is the only language in which I ever watch any anime xd While admittedly there are some good English dubs (I've never watched it, but Cowboy Beebop is know for having a good dub), in general the original language is better. I haven't watched the Pokemon anime in a while, but I did try to watch Sun and Moon (and watched in Japanese of course). I ended up dropping it, but not because I didn't like the voices. I just can't stand watching Ash/Satoshi lose to newbie trainers over and over again at the beginning of each season even though his Pikachu should by all rights be lvl100 already and should stomping every battle. Well, and a few other things really. I've watched a ton of different anime, but sadly Pokemon just isn't my cup of tea anymore.

But back on topic, I always prefer Japanese. Besides thinking that the voices are just better overall, dubs sometimes make use of heavy editing and censorship. Even though 4Kids is no longer in the dubbing business (at least I hope so), their dubs were so bad I could never again watch an English dub without cringing a little.

Btw, not saying no one should watch English dubs. Like I said, times have changed, there's no more 4Kids around, and there are some pretty good English dubs out there. I simply can't bring myself to watch an anime (any anime) in anything other than Japanese.

28 November 2018 - 07:11 AM

Mod_Diamond

Novice Trainer

• Mod_Diamond

I tried watching these in original Japanese, but I just couldn't do it.  Probably something about seeing it for many years in English that it kind of threw me off.  Japanese is one of those languages I've always wanted to learn so that I can understand things like this better rather than having to use subs.  Oh well, maybe this is motivation to do that haha!

30 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

I wish I could understand Japanese! I guess English dubs are very bad sometimes but have to live with it.

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!