(PURELY OPINION) Format Changes, simple as that.

• Please log in to reply

20 November 2018 - 05:58 AM

SGTOWeavile

Rookie Trainer

• SGTOWeavile
Some might say it's my problem for spending about a thousand coins on Triumphant booster packs to get Magnezone Prime, just to find out that it can't be used in expanded, and they're right, but it brought me to talk about this.

Why aren't HGSS series cards allowed outside of Legacy decks if you can easily purchase booster packs and theme decks in TCGO?

I know that Expanded has kept the same Base Set for four years now, but the fact that these cards aren't usable there essentially removes the point. If the expanded format allowed HGSS to be the base set, since it is called Expanded Format after all, this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Alternatively, allow a Versus tier solely for Unlimited decks. Then we'd actually get to use these cards.

"Do not swear by the moon, for she changes constantly."

-William Shakespeare

20 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Hmm, I see where you're comming from, but I think it would be better if they spent their efforts reviving Legacy as a format (well, if that's possible at least. I don't know what caused Legacy to lose so many players even before the Legacy Events were removed). This is purely my speculation, but I think that the power creep is just too much for HGSS era cards to have too much relevance in a meta where everything can do 180+ damage on the first or second turn. If you think about it, several of the popular Legacy where based almost entirely of BW era cards with only a few supporting cards from the HGSS era (Junk Arms and Smeargle come to mind). Ultimately, I think that Legacy needs to be its own format (and it needs to be promoted because no one wants to build legacy decks from scratch the way things are right now. No events + long waiting times even on the VS Ladder means no interestin the format).

As for Unlimited, idk. It wouldn't be a true Unlimited either way, because banned cards would still have to remain banned. I don't think anyone wants to deal with NXD Shiftry donks ever again xd. So it would be more of an Expanded 2.0 than an Unlimited format. And even then, I don't know if there are any HGSS cards I'd want to use on that format other than Junk Arms (and maybe Smeargle), at least from the cards I can remember. Primes and Legends were cool cards but I'm not too sure about how they stack up against Expanded decks.

20 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Basically because the Online game is a reflex of IRL game. There's Standard, there's a World Championship. And there's Expanded, with its rotation both. And HGSS rotated from both, that's all.

Everything else passed by. It's not a business anymore because the money flux comes from new cards, new packs, new decks. There's no business in cards half the players+collectors already own.

Legacy was a huge gift from Arceus for the online only, to give sense to all the cards stored through years that rotated. The format doesn't even exist anywhere else. And the loose of interest of the format comes from no movement. It's always HGSS 'til end B/W. There are 4 or 5 Meta decks and everything else doesn't work as good. So you face same decks once and again, and you play those decks or you loose.

Open Expanded starting HGSS? Not IRL, because the rules of the Company. So also not in here. Would be a query to TPCi. Sadly, forums doesn't work too much to make them arrive our requests.

"Realistic" option would be requesting new formats just for the Online, but experience with Legacy says it's hard to make it work if no movement of cards, and no reflex in IRL.

Edited by Chasista, 20 November 2018 - 03:19 PM.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

26 November 2018 - 03:33 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thanks everyone for posting your useful feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!