Contest: community-created Theme Deck

• Please log in to reply

16 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Sou,
I've had this idea where I would just make a suggestion thread for a "developer made" Theme Deck, because the old developer-made Theme Decks cannot compete anywhere in the format and I find this sense-depriving, because new players trying to get a good PvP-starter Theme Deck can't really do much with the old decks. the basic fire deck kinda does a thing, but you need to be really lucky or experienced (which new players usually are not) to score a win against the top tier decks. I remember a time where the free basic+psychic Theme Deck Mental Might was pretty good and could compete with many decks. You'll have to unlock it through trainer challenges (PvE) tho. Then again, I might not the only one beeing interested in suggesting a dev-/community-made Theme Deck.

Long story short: let's make a contest out of it!

You'll submit 1 (in letters: one) decklist by posting it into this thread.

Then, at a selected date, we'll make a seperate new voting thread to determine the winner.

I'll keep this thread updated and also update the list of contestants, which is a list of validated submitted decklists, simply because we can't have kids spam garbage/OP decklists with no sense of rationality or balance.

Therefore, we also need to write down some rules for the deckbuilding based on pre-existing meta-decks. These should contain a limit of rares aswell as certain card types like supporters or special energies. Also, a certain power balance needs to be kept, so people don't just spam 160 HP mons. And the card type-ratio needs to be reasonable, so you don't submit decks that have like 30 mons and 0 supporters.
Therefore, I've studied the decklists of all Theme Decks from UltraPrism to LostThunder and counted their card type amounts.

For the deckbuilders and advanced/elite Theme Deck players, I don't really have to say this, it should be obvious.

I will not validate such entries that are not in accord with the following rules:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Community Theme Deck Building Contest Law (CTDBCL)

§1 - Forbidden cards
1) Pokemon-GX, Tag-Team and Prism-Star cards are forbidden.
2) Cards from non-english sets are forbidden.
3) Cards from sets prior to S&M are forbidden.
4) Cards from sets not permanently available for purchase in PTCGO, including special sets and sub-sets, are forbidden.

§2 - Deck structure and card-type ratio
Submitted decks need to have 60 cards, of which 19-21 need to be energy cards, 20-24 need to be pokemon cards, and 16-20 need to be trainer cards.

§3 - Deck power balance
1) Submitted decks must not have more than 2 pokemon with 140 or more HP.
2) Submitted decks most not have more than 4 pokemon that are able to deal 140 or more damage with an attack, including the effects and status changes caused by that attack.
3) Submitted decks must not have more than 6 pokemon with 100-130 HP, of which alteast 2 must be identical, but may vary in their type.
4) Submitted decks may not contain more than 2 stadium cards and not more than 2 pokemon tool cards.
5) Submitted decks may not contain more than 2 copies of each trainer card.
6) Submitted decks must not contain more than 2 special energy cards. They must be identical.
7) Cards beeing declared as limited cards may only be used one time.
8) Cards beeing delclared as banned may not be used.

§4 - Limited cards
The following cards are declared as limited:
- Switch
- Escape Rope
- Tate&Liza
- Big Malasada
- Oranguru
- Magcargo
- Rescue Stretcher
- Field Blower
- Crushing Hammer
- Morty
- Diantha
- Repel
- Ultra Space
- Brooklet Hill
- Lysandre Labs
- Crasher Wake
- Mallow
- Tormenting Spray
- Cynthia
- Gardenia
- Mt. Coronet
- Pal Pad
- Eneporter
- Escape Board
- Wishful Baton

§5 - Banned cards
The follwing cards are declared as banned:
- Guzma
- Counter catcher
- Custom catcher
- Pokémon catcher
- Max potion
- Last Chance Potion
- Hustle Belt
- Acro Bike
- Enhanced Hammer
- Electropower
- Team Skull Grunt
- Peeking Red Card
- Metal Frying Pan
- Mysterious Treasure
- Judge
- Ilima
- Aether Paradise Conservatio Area
- Kiawe
- Lana
- Plumeria
- Po Town
- Wicke
- Bodybuilding Dumbbells
- Acerola
- Counter Energy
- Beast Ring

§6 - Rarity balance
1) A deck must not contain more than 8 Rares.
2) A deck must contain a minimum of 8 Commons. Basic Energy does not count into the rarity score.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following Contest Rules apply aswell:

1) Only 1 submitted decklist per player!
Give it your very best!

2) No changing decklists. Edited contributions will be disqualified!
No stealing ideas! If you think- "aah, I totally didn't know this card even existed", well that's bad luck mate.
If you make a typo - let it be! If you get censored, clear your post and make a new one, because edited posts will be disqualified.

3) Only approved decks are qualified for the voting thread.
Make sure to follow the Community Theme Deck Building Contest Law (CTDBCL). (stated above). I hope you understand that decks need to be balanced, and that balance is defined by the most recent theme decks from Sun&Moon to LostThunder.

4) The card range is from Sun&Moon to LostThunder.

The contest starts: November 18th, 2018, 00:01
Rules may change untill the starting date, especially to filter out unbalanced cards.

Now, for the last, most important part- this contest ends: December 31th, 2018, 23:59.
I'll open up the voting thread in the first week of January 2019.

Prizes: will be declared later, maybe some booster packs. (from me) No entry cost!

Well then, I hope I can challenge some creative minds out there. First entry to be submitted soon, hope you like the idea and are not too bothered by all those rules (they make sense).

Smell you later! ;)

#1 Loof6 - the Roof is on Fire

Spoiler

#2 - Oldschool1990 - Glamorous Depths
Spoiler

#3 SuperStone - Pervading Premontion
Spoiler

#4 Chasista - Brilliant Bloom
Spoiler

#5...

Edited by Oldschool1990, 14 December 2018 - 12:59 PM.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

16 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

OK, so, we do leave the deck here? Or this is just to say we want to participate?

And, I thought I read only 2 energy types, but now I can't find it and maybe I'm confused with the 2 Special energy only. May I use 3 different type, right?

Thanks

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

16 November 2018 - 09:42 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Very interesting idea, I think I'll give it a try in a few more weeks when I have some more free time. Might donate some packs for the prize pool too to help promote this.

Btw, can we post comments in here, or do you want all replies to be Deck entries only? (I mean, I'm already making a comment I guess, but for future reference).

16 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hi, thanks for the replies. :cool:

You can post the decklist here (but not before this Sunday please - I still need to check alot of cards for limiting if they would break the balance) and also leave comments or even explain the deck if you want.

You can use as many types as you want, Tropical Takedown also has multiple types, so yeah.

Only having 2 identical special energies means you could go for 2x double colorless energy or 2x unit energy FDF, but not for 1x double colorless energy+1x unit energy FDF.

Sakura, I'm really humbled by your support.   :D

I kinda made a tight mesh of rules so the participants have 1 unified balance level and noone can just stomp 20 rare goodstuffs in his deck, hope the rules don't scare people away. Wiggling with some boosters may help tho. :P

I'll also check this thread on a regular basis to answer any possible questions.

Don't forget to take your time, and post your decklist when you are sure it is finalized.

6 weeks should be sufficient to upload a good deck. In the meantime, discussions are also welcome. ;)

Edited by Oldschool1990, 16 November 2018 - 10:53 PM.

16 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

It's my pleasure to participate my friend :) SuperStone and I were thinking a little while that an event like this would be great, so this is coming at the perfect time.

Dw btw, I don't have a decklist right now xd I just wanted to express my interest and support for this.

16 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Yes, first I thought, oh too much work. But then... this can be fun. I've been looking and I think I already have mine :D  I'll wait anyway.

At the end no 3 energy type. Wasn't possible to have 9 rares :rolleyes: I have time to review so I'll check again.

Thanks for your replies :)

Not sure but maybe I can throw some pack too depending on the number of participants, Not from last sets tho but a pack is always a pack, right? :ph34r:

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

IGN Chasista

17 November 2018 - 03:15 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Sounds fun. Might wanna work on a decklist when I get home

17 November 2018 - 04:50 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

<snip>

I've had this idea where I would just make a suggestion thread for a "developer made" Theme Deck, because the old developer-made Theme Decks cannot compete anywhere in the format...

<snip>

Now, for the last, most important part- this contest ends: December 31th, 2018, 23:59.

I'll open up the voting thread in the first week of January 2019.

Good idea.  Yet, it sure would be nice if the Developers were asking for "developer made" Theme Deck ideas, so it won't be a futile exercise.  Is there any indication or promise that they'll do more than the norm (forwarded into the great abyss) with it?

@Staff??

Edited by RobRatt, 17 November 2018 - 05:08 AM.

17 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Good idea. Yet, it sure would be nice if the Developers were asking for "developer made" Theme Deck ideas, so it won't be a futile exercise. Is there any indication or promise that they'll do more than the norm (forwarded into the great abyss) with it?

@Staff??

Sadly, I don't think so.

They have a huge development team creating the new Theme, testing the upcoming set cards, inventing new decks to see the balance and the cards to ban when new set releases, reasoning if a new pokémon have to hit 110 or 120 and have 170HP or 180HP and what tools and abilities can affect the balance, to keep everything under control.

It would be awesome to ask or get ideas in an open contest for future (theme) decks but, I bet they are not going to reveal us the new set cards. And new Theme include new cards. So, impossible :(

Of course all this is for the IRL cards game so, at least, Online developers could make that contest for the Basic starter decks (fire, water, grass/electric). It's time to change the types and introduce new stronger Beginner decks TPCi !!

Edited by Chasista, 17 November 2018 - 01:24 PM.

IGN Chasista

17 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hi all,

thanks for the replies so far, nice to see people are interested in this contest.

I've gone through all the trainer pools from Sun&Moon to LostThunder and limited/banned those cards that would break the balance when beeing built around.

So instead of posthum declaring cards as invalid, we'll have a pre-defined range of cards we can use, and whatever has not been limited or banned is legit for use.

The general idea here is to regulate such cards that allow instant switching(switch, escape rope) or draw out opponents mons(guzma, etc.) or that directly discard energy(hammers, grunts) or that shuffle away opponents hands (red card, Ilima, etc.), aswell as cards that would overly increase a mons damage (hustle belt, elecropower) or bulkyness (frying pan, conservation area, dumbbels) and cards that would ramp up energy extremely fast (kiawe, beast ring, etc).

If you really want to use this or that card, it could be discussed here, but you'd have to sacrifice some other good cards to keep the balance. It would propably be okay to run 1x (in words: one) electropower if you'd sacrifice 2x professor kukui for that, if it suits your deck better thematicly. (vorthos is a thing) If you can make a good arguement and declare what you sacrifice for using that, that could lead to that deck still getting validated even when running 1 banned card, but don't overdo it.

19 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Alright, I'll start by donating 10 LOT packs to the prize pool. Had a marathon of Events this past weekend so I ended up with several packs to spare xd. I can sent you a trade offer this weekend so that you can keep them until the contest is over. I'll probably start working on a deck after November 27th, I have some things I need to take care of until then.

I'm really excited for this, I hope it catches on. Btw, are we doing some battles between the entries? I know the point isn't to see which deck is more "OP', but it would be interesting to see how they stack up against each other and how they stack up against the popular theme decks like Blazing Volcano. If this works out well, in the future we could even host tournaments with custom rules. 

19 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I'll have to review the deck as a lot of extra rules where added but, tell us when we can add our decks to the thread.

Thanks!

I'm really excited for this, I hope it catches on. Btw, are we doing some battles between the entries? I know the point isn't to see which deck is more "OP', but it would be interesting to see how they stack up against each other and how they stack up against the popular theme decks like Blazing Volcano. If this works out well, in the future we could even host tournaments with custom rules. 

That battles would be funny.

IGN Chasista

19 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

That battles would be funny.

Yes, they'd be pretty funny xd We should do a few battles even if it isn't a part of the contest.

20 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

I'd like to start with my deck, although I know it's a disadvantage to release your deck first. But no matter ...
My deck is based on Magmortar, Salazzle and Infernape, and in addition to the attack of Magmortar relies on special conditions, especially burn.
It is difficult to deal with special conditions in the theme deck format and with the restrictions for trainer cards made here. Therefore, my deck may be too strong. However, I have stuck to all restrictions. (Unless I have something to watch about SMILEY)
Here's a little look at my idea:
Magmortar's ability can burn the defending Pokemon if it is attacked. In addition, the defending Pokemon is burned by Infernape's attack and Salazzle's Panic Poison attack. Thanks to Infernape's ability, 6 instead of 2 damage counters must be placed on burned Pokemon and Wela Volcano Park halves the likelihood that the burn will pass.
Unfortunately, Fire Pokemon have a Water weekness, so I use the fighting typ Infernape and 2x Weakness Policy.

Spoiler

22 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hi all, you may release your decklists at any time now. :)

Please also don't forget to count Rarity, min 8 commons (excluding basic energy), max 8 rares.

I made little marks behind my decklist (to be revealed soon) so I can track and proof rule conformity. (like R for rare, >140 for over 140HP and so on)

I'd like to start with my deck, although I know it's a disadvantage to release your deck first. But no matter ...

Hi, thanks alot for the participation. Didn't expect such a fast deck release, looks like you beat me to it. :P

I don't think it's a disadvantage, going first means setting a standard that others have to reach. :cool:

So far, your deck looks pretty awesome. I'm going to verify it soon.^^

Alright, I'll start by donating 10 LOT packs to the prize pool. Had a marathon of Events this past weekend so I ended up with several packs to spare xd. I can sent you a trade offer this weekend so that you can keep them until the contest is over. I'll probably start working on a deck after November 27th, I have some things I need to take care of until then.

Woha. 10 is crazy. I really appreciate the kindness.

The playing idea sounds great. :D  We should host a tournament with those decks.

To avoid unfair matchups, everyone should play against every deck.

But that's another thread after the voting I suppose.

Idk if I even have the cards to build my deck.

If we really host a tournament with our decks, we need to somehow make sure everone can get the cards they need to build their decks. Maybe we can split the prices 50/50 between deck contest and the tournament? Also depends on how many people participate.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 22 November 2018 - 01:12 PM.

22 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

No problem xd I really want to see this little contest be a success, so I'll gladly donate 10 packs. I just sent you a friend request so I can send you the packs.

Lets see what we can do about making everyone have their cards later. I'm sure we can do a community effort for everyone to participate when the time comes.

22 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

@Sakura: just added you, mostly online on weekends around 20:00 GMT+1. (today I've taken a day off work, usually working long during the weekdays)

@all:
Remember to use the "basic" versions of all cards, because TPCI would not put full-art ultrarares in a theme deck. For example, stuff like Kukui needs the normal SM version, not the full-art version, to be valid. (which doesn't mean you can't use expensive cards, just not the bling-bling full-art versions of them)

Holo Rares are counted as non-Holo versions, as TPCI usually prints non-holofoil versions of rares that only exist as holo (which are then more rare than the holofoil versions) for the theme decks. So you can use them of course.

@Loof6

Loof6, on 20 Nov 2018 - 4:54 PM, said:Loof6, on 20 Nov 2018 - 4:54 PM, said:Loof6, on 20 Nov 2018 - 4:54 PM, said:Loof6, on 20 Nov 2018 - 4:54 PM, said:

##Trainerkarten - 20

* 2 Wela-Vulkanpark DRM 63 §1 (4) CTDBCL: Cards from sets not permanently available for purchase in PTCGO, including special sets and sub-sets, are forbidden.

Aww. Sorry Loof6, I cannot validate that entry right now. (needs to be reworked)
Stuff from sub-sets like dragon majesty or shining legens is forbidden, nevertheless you are still in the contest. I think the deck mechanics with the burning effect are pretty awesome and you really tried to fit all rules, so just replace that one card and I can validate the deck. The rest looks fine. (changed switch to the sun&moon version) Shouldn't be to difficult to find a legit replacement for that card.

Here is your decklist so far:
Loot6 -enter deck name here-

Spoiler

Edited by Oldschool1990, 23 November 2018 - 06:29 PM.

22 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Alright, I've sent the offer. I'm at GMT-3 btw, in case it's useful to know later. I'll get to start thinking on my own entry in a few more days.

22 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Out of curiosity: if our deck contains no pokemon with 140+ HP, can we have two more in the 100-130 bracket?

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

22 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Out of curiosity: if our deck contains no pokemon with 140+ HP, can we have two more in the 100-130 bracket?

Yes. The 140+ rule is just there to prevent people from spamming tanks.

You can count 2 of your <140 mons into the 140+bracket and save up 2 spaces in the 100-130 bracket. Not recommendable tho, because 2x 140+ HP, 6x 100-130HP is bulkier than 8x 100-130HP. Easy snipe for tier2 or tier3 mons, especially with Kukui beeing a staple.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 22 November 2018 - 07:28 PM.