PvP 15 sec turn timer not friendly to new users and people with handicaps

• Please log in to reply

14 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

zekrom7682

Novice Trainer

• zekrom7682

There seems to be two types of players in this game :

1. Those who find the game is too slow, who know the game and cards by heart and who want to get the most games in the shortest amount of time for all the obvious reasons.

2. Those who find the game too rushed and turn timers too punishing : either because they are new learning the game and cards as they play, or because they are young/old and need a bit of extra time, or because they have a physical or mental handicap and are not a speedy gonzalez... 

I've seen the game evolve from it's beta days, and I can attest that population 2 is being pushed away from the game... which is kinda sad. I've always considered the pokemon game as open to all ages and types of people, so it's sad to see the TCGO game in it's current state. 

Some people will say that population 2 can just go play some Player vs Computer games... but I find that wrong and selfish.

Could you please consider adding an option or setting that allows a choice of short or long turn timers ?

Surely that shouldn't be too difficult as the game already seems to have a ladder pairing system in place...

Like that population 1 can face off against eachother and be happy with short timers and fast games,  and population 2 can also find enjoyment by facing eachother without being stressed out by constant timer end turns and told they are not welcomed in this game.

Could you please forward this message to the devs ?

Cheers,

14 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Doesn't the 15 second timer only appear if you didn't do anything for like 60 seconds and then partially resets ?

Anyway, I can understand your concerns and I'd agree with you to a certain degree. Especially for new players it can be difficult to access all the information on the board and simultaneously plan and execute their own turn (which is arguably one reason why we see so many “bug” reports that boil down to people being unable to read cards correctly).

However, one thing to consider is that beginners won't stay beginners for long and eventually the timer won't be an issue for them any more.

The idea to split players by their choice of game time sounds decent, but I can already see some major issues with this: extensive timer scamming and trolling, deliberately trying to farm beginners, longer queue times and many other negative implications.

Overall the question simply boils down to pure numbers: how many % of players are affected by this and would benefit from a change vs how many players are unaffected by it and would suffer from a change. The idea to be accessible to everyone is noble, but eventually you have to make some compromise.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

14 November 2018 - 11:30 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

There seems to be two types of players in this game :

• Those who find the game is too slow, who know the game and cards by heart and who want to get the most games in the shortest amount of time for all the obvious reasons.

• Those who find the game too rushed and turn timers too punishing : either because they are new learning the game and cards as they play, or because they are young/old and need a bit of extra time, or because they have a physical or mental handicap and are not a speedy gonzalez... 

I've seen the game evolve from it's beta days, and I can attest that population 2 is being pushed away from the game... which is kinda sad. I've always considered the pokemon game as open to all ages and types of people, so it's sad to see the TCGO game in it's current state. 

Some people will say that population 2 can just go play some Player vs Computer games... but I find that wrong and selfish.

Could you please consider adding an option or setting that allows a choice of short or long turn timers ?

Surely that shouldn't be too difficult as the game already seems to have a ladder pairing system in place...

Like that population 1 can face off against eachother and be happy with short timers and fast games,  and population 2 can also find enjoyment by facing eachother without being stressed out by constant timer end turns and told they are not welcomed in this game.

Could you please forward this message to the devs ?

Cheers,
You look a lot like RobRatt. He's a popular guy on this forum!

Yes, I agree with you. Some people are disabled in ways that they have to take their time and it really isn't fair.

However, most people are normal and having to wait for a long time could be frustrating. I also second Felidae by saying that beginners won't be beginners forever.

They should probably just make it 20 seconds. Most people with mental disabilities don't play. And they usually shouldn't because it is frustrating for others.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

14 November 2018 - 11:40 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

You look a lot like RobRatt.

Excuse me.  He's got similar clothes (good taste, or not?).  Other than that, it's different hair and facial features.  PLEASE, tell me you don't plan to go into law enforcement.

Edited by RobRatt, 15 November 2018 - 03:34 AM.

15 November 2018 - 12:21 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

As is, everyone can play the game, at whatever level they're ready for.  There's a Tutorial, many levels of the Trainer Challenge, and Theme Decks, ...before you ever have to venture into building your own decks.

Once someone advances into custom decks, and playing with others on the VS Ladder, there are a couple realities about playing games like this (or even Chess for that matter).

1.  It's competitive.  Very few would find it enjoyable, or play the game if it wasn't.

2.  It's timed.  That's necessary to keep things flowing smoothly (whether Online or real-world).

3.  You need to know your own cards/pieces, and at least understand the basic rules.

The timer, for the most part, is a warning that you're doing absolutely nothing, while you should be playing.  Shouldn't players be expected to make some kind of move in a reasonable time period, rather than staring at their own cards, multitasking, or simultaneously watching TV?

I think most of us can be tolerant with a newer player, or someone with a handicap.  I've seen it, and done it, many times in the real world.  But with PTCGO, the games are nearly twice as long as normal play already.  Rather than 25 minutes for each player, a single game is normally played in 30 minutes for both players (plus 3 turns), and most tournaments are best-of-three matches in 50 minutes (plus 3 turns).

Frankly, I don't think a lot of people will label themselves as "too old, too slow, too dumb, or a total noob."  Even if we ignore the programming challenges or server load, how many will sign up?  And how long would the waiting queue be for this special category to find a match?

All around, this just sounds like a bad idea to me.  Let's help others up, rather than lower the bar.

Edited by RobRatt, 15 November 2018 - 07:08 PM.

15 November 2018 - 02:50 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Excuse me.  He's got similar clothes.  Other than that, it's different hair, facial features, and skin tone.  PLEASE, tell me you'll never go into law enforcement.

He's got the jacket and the shades! No law enforcement is not my interest. You should be honored that he wants to look like you (sarcastically speaking)!
Try try again. Never ever quit.

25 November 2018 - 12:46 AM

Dave230

Novice Trainer

• Dave230
Yeah I doubt 5 seconds would make a big difference if you have a physical disability it may take more. Don't know if having permission is an option to give a person some extra time through asking a question lIke they do when asking if you want to attack or informing about the gx attack. You think some might allow it?

25 November 2018 - 07:30 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello trainers, thank you all for posting your feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!