How do you make a consistent deck?

• Please log in to reply

13 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

About 95% of the people I face are able to get every single card they need whenever they need it. My decks for the most part hardly hit levels like that. My luck is so bad that there have been many times where I have like 40 cards left in my deck and I just need to draw any cards but 5 of them and for the next 4 turns I only draw those 4 cards. How do you even make a consistent deck when your luck is so terrible?

13 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Regarding the luck factor, you CAN reduce it, but as long as this game is a TCG it cannot be completely eliminated. Some games you'll have bad luck and there's nothing that you can do about it. If it's of some consolation, after several games played your luck tends to "average out" (with the disclaimer that this would be observing from your starting point; if you've already had a few riddiculously unlucky moments, the next event has an equal chance of being unlucky as each of the previous ones individually), so over the course of maybe 100 games, you shoudn't have too many more bad draws than what's statistically probable.

As for specific advice on consistency, I think it would be easier to start by looking at one of your decklists first. I'll use the first list you posted in your other thread (Help improving Expanded Decks) as a reference. Some of the things I may tell you might be repeated from things you were told there, so bare that in mind. I'll also give you tips asuming that we're talking about expanded, but a lot of this applies to Standard too.

1) Discard/Draw and Shuffle Supporters:

These are absolutely vital to make almost any deck work. Here I'm thinking mostly about the ones that give you 5+ cards (ideally 6 or 7) when used. For Expanded, you MUST take some Sycamores. How many will depend on your deck and your preferences, but I usually take 3 or 4. For shuffling, Cynthia is probably the best one imo since you get 6 cards after shuffling. Judge is ok as a disruption tool, but I wouldn't rely on it if I just want to draw. In Expanded, N can do everything that Judge can and better, so take 1 or 2 Ns instead. Lillie can be good but it depends on how many cards you have in hand. She's worth considering since you can draw up to 8 cards in your first turn, and up to 6 the rest of the game. She's basically a Shaymin-EX in supporter form.

Save for exceptions, I really don't like Hau/Tierno or any +3 supporter. Compared to what other draw supporters can do, it's really weak.

2) 4 VS Seekers and some Battle Compressors:

If you're playing in Expanded, you absolutely MUST run 4 VS Seekers. The're basically the Joker from regular cards, they fill in for any other Supporter you want (they do have to be in your discard pile, but that's rather easy). Battle Compressors allow you to discard (among other things) supporters to the discard pile, which means you'll always be able to access them via VS Seeker. I run 4 battle compressors in Night March, but for non-discard decks 2 seems like a good number.

3) Run a few card drawing Pokemon:

Shaymin-EX is still the best in expanded. You burn your hand, use an Ultra Ball for Shaymin-EX and you draw up to 6 cards without having to use your supporter of the turn. Octillery from BKT (I think) and Oranguru can do the same, but they can keep taking cards while on the bench each turn (albeit up to 5 and 3 cards respectively rather than 6). Pokemon like Zoroark-GX also let you draw more cards.

4) Play Macargo:

Not sure if every deck can benefit from this, but if you hate bad luck, Macargo lets you literally decide what your next draw will be. You can't go wrong with a 2-2 line of Macargo.

5) Use "filler" Trainers that help you dig deeper into your deck:

Acro Bikes (draw 2 cards and discard one of those) and Trainers' Mail (look at he next 4 cards in your deck, pick a Trainer you find there and shuffle the rest) is what I'm thinking of. You can run anywhere from 0 to 4 of each of those depending on how much spare space you have.

6) Tapu Lele-GX (if you can afford one; Jirachi-EX for expanded does the same so it can replace Lele here)

The same Ultra Balls you can use for your normal pokemon and Shaymin-EX, you can use to search a Tapu Lele-GX or a Jirachi-EX. These can find you a Sycamore (or anything else really, but if you're stuck a Sycamore seems the best choice) and draw a fresh 7 card hand.

7) Don't take so many energies:

Rarely any deck ever needs more than 8-10 energies. Certain decks like Night March can even take just 4 Double Colorless Energy and nothing else. In your case, I would recomend trying with 7 Basic Energy and 4 Strong Energy at most, and from there adjust up or down depending on how it feels.

8) Avoid coin flip cards if you can:

The coin flips ARE fair, mind you, but the margin of error for a single coin flip (or a set of maybe 3 coin flips in a row) is just too large, so any outcome is both possible and probable. I like crushing hammer in control decks because you need them as part of your control tools, and because you use them enough times in a single game for you to get at least a few heads. In your deck though, I'd leave them aside.

9) Take out the lucky helmet and use more impactful tool cards:

I'm thinking mostly of more FFB, some Choice Bands and some Float Stones. Drawing 3 extra cards per hit isn't that good for the same Reason Hau isn't that good. Compared to getting a OHKO instead of a two shot thanks to Choice Ban, Lucky Helmet just kind of fades in comparison.

10) Focus on a select few pokemon, and have everything else you take just support that main line

Focusing on Buzzwhole is great, taking a Diancie Prism Star and a couple of Regirock-EX is fine too, Marshadow-GX is probably fine as well, but everything else is extra fluff imo. The only other pokemon I would include would be a pair of the drawing Pokemon I mentioned earlier.

I have to go now, but if I think of anything else I'll come back. Hopefully this advice is of use to you. 

Edited by Sakura150612, 13 November 2018 - 01:13 PM.

13 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

Pokegen85

Senior Trainer

• Pokegen85

About 95% of the people I face are able to get every single card they need whenever they need it. My decks for the most part hardly hit levels like that. My luck is so bad that there have been many times where I have like 40 cards left in my deck and I just need to draw any cards but 5 of them and for the next 4 turns I only draw those 4 cards. How do you even make a consistent deck when your luck is so terrible?

Consistency has nothing to do with “luck” and everything to do with what cards you have in your deck. I’d use a search engine to seek out DarkIntegralGaming. He has a wonderful deck building guide that shouldn’t be overlooked. I can provide some general help right here, but as for what cards you need, that will depend on the type of deck that you want to build.

To begin, decks in competitive focus around one or two Pokémon at most, and everything else is just supporting that strategy. Decks typically have around a 15 to 30 to 15 ratio of Pokémon to Trainers to Energy respectively. The only one of those numbers that’s not set in stone is the energy. You can get away with only 10 energy or so if you only use one energy type. Now let’s get to the meat.

You’ll want draw supporting that use abilities to get you more draw power. The big three are berry master (Zoroark-GX), coconut master (Tapu LeLe GX), and banana master (Oranguru SUM). In expanded format, you could have sushi master (Octillery BKT).

For Trainers, you’ll generally want to include the following:

4 Cynthia or 4 Sycamore (depends on your preference)
3 Lillie or 3 Sightseer (use Sightseer if you use Cynthia for deck thinning)
4 Ultra Balls (to thin your deck by discarding extra energy from your hand and for Pokémon card pulls)
2 Brigette or 2 Professor Elm’s Lecture to set up your bench
2 Olivia (to pull your GX Pokémon faster)
4 Rare Candies (if your deck revolves around stage two Pokémon)
4 VS Seeker (in expanded, some people prefer this high risk/high reward card)
3 Guzma or 3 Lysandre (bench snipe anyone?)
1 or 2 Pal Pad (to recover Supporter cards)
2 or 3 Feild Blowers (to knock tools and stadiums away)
2 or 3 Judge or N (for hand disruption purposes)
2 or 3 Super Rods (unless you are rolling an energy recovery deck)
2 Max Potions (the heals! Don’t use cards like Pokémon Center Lady)
1 or 2 Rescue Stretcher (for Pokémon recovery)
1 Karen (a must for expanded format decks to counter Night March and Vespiqueen)
1 Computer Search (in expanded only, thins your deck and pulls any card you need)
1 Gladion (to possibly pull an odd rare candy out of your prize cards)
1 Steven’s Resolve (if you like to live dangerously)

Energies

6, 7, or 8 of each core energy (fire, grass, metal, etc) needed for your deck
2 special energies (they are nice to have on a pinch)

I hope this helps. Cheers!

13 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

The main issue for me is that I have always been avoiding cards that discard my hand or part of my hand. First reason is that I would never know when would be the best time to do it. Second would be that I struggle getting energy sometimes and discarding energy is not the best idea in that case. The main reason I run with so much energy is that I tend to struggle getting it. Same with how I never know how many pokemon to use since I can put 8-9 basic pokemon in a deck and have to reshuffle 90% of the time. When it comes back to discarding things how do I even get those cards back because I know I will need at least a couple that I ended up throwing out.

13 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

The main issue for me is that I have always been avoiding cards that discard my hand or part of my hand. First reason is that I would never know when would be the best time to do it. Second would be that I struggle getting energy sometimes and discarding energy is not the best idea in that case. The main reason I run with so much energy is that I tend to struggle getting it. Same with how I never know how many pokemon to use since I can put 8-9 basic pokemon in a deck and have to reshuffle 90% of the time. When it comes back to discarding things how do I even get those cards back because I know I will need at least a couple that I ended up throwing out.

I think you're not alone in this one, a lot of the newer players are afraid to discard. But that's exactly one of the points where you lose consistency, because a lot of the cards that either help you dig deeper into your deck or search for specific cards have discarding as a cost. Sycamore and Ultra Balls in particular pay off really well (most of the time), but you have to be willing to use them.

The thing that happens to you with never finding energies despite running so many of them is actually the result of a vicious cycle. Because you run so many energies instead of more draw/discard cards your deck becomes much slower, but because your deck is slow, you never find energies when you need them even if you have a high number of them, which leads you to think discarding the few energies you draw is a bad idea, but because you don't want to discard your deck becomes slow and you never draw your energies when you need them, and so on and so forth. If you run enough cards that make your deck consistent, you can freely discard a few energies even if you only have a total of 8 or so in your entire deck, because you'll almost always be able to get to your next energy thanks to consistency.

Just think about one of the most popular and powerful decks in Expanded, Night March. That thing runs ONLY 4 Energies, and we all know that this deck is one of the most heavy discarders in existance. So how do people manage to consistently win while permanently discarding and running the risk of discarding one of its only 4 energies? Because the deck is ultra consistent. You have an easy time going through your deck, setting up your bench, setting up your discard pile, getting to those key supporters via your discardpile using VS Seekers to fetch stuff like Guzma and Teammates when you need them, and by simply running 1-2 Special Charges (I personally recommend 2 to make up for the Puzzle of Time ban), you will almost never lose by running out of energies against anything other than heavy control/mill decks.

So, even if it feels counter-intuitive to you, my first recommendation is get used to discarding, ESPECIALLY if you're playing Expanded rather than Standard. Make heavy use of Sycamore, get either Shaymin-EX or Orangurus and use Ultra Ball to reduce your hand and then draw using their abilities, use Battle Compressor to discard your own supporters and then access them via VS Seeker (and allow me to repeat this: in Expanded, you MUST run 4 VS Seeker. There is literally zero reason for you to not do so). On that note, include a few cards that allow you to recycle resources so that you can discard more freely (aside from VS Seekers, you can run 1-2 Energy Retrieval or Special Charge and Rescue Stretcher or Super Rod for pokemon [with Super Rod having the added benefit of recycling both energies and pokemon]).

Regarding your mulligan rate, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to say that's a made-up stat. The RNG is constantly being observed by the TCGO staff, and even if you didn't believe their word, I did a rather extensive study of RNG (in coin flips, as a representation of the RNG overall) and the resuts showed that the RNG is perfectly fair. The probability that you will mulligan at least once with 9 basic pokemon in your deck is only 30% (calculated as [51Cr7]/[60Cr7] in case you're curious), which is not even close to 90%, which is the mulligan rate you would have if you run only 1 Basic Pokemon in your entire deck. For your peace of mind, I recommend you that you write down the number of games where you mulliganed 1 or more times out of 30 or more games. I can guarantee you, with a fairly small degree of error, that the number of games where you had to shuffle will be around 30%.

Edited by Sakura150612, 14 November 2018 - 01:45 AM.

13 November 2018 - 11:20 PM

LiteHope

Novice Trainer

• LiteHope
hi

unlike other card games pokemon is odd,
most of pokemon techniques are not ability moves, their energy dependent.
you must have exactly 60 cards but the ideal is yugioh of as low as possible-- for consistency.
a hypergeometric distribution if you can wrap your mind around it helps demonstrates this.
so dont worry about absolute consistency.

as far as gameplay, idk try random number generator and run it through an app if you can program
you can draw or print out pages per sheet to scale down and just do tree branches by hand.
>figure out and filter out.
then when you got a theme going it should play itself// intuitive or instictive.
i think a useless card in yugioh is called a brick, idk what its called in pokemon.

as far as basics, there was a pdf on the poke probability and had the question of "how many basics" both to solve the 6prize and starting with one or more reliably.// this forum is meta heavy and doesnt like that tho

as far as coin toss, look into ******* videos or pdf on pokemon math pokemon probability
i love the coin toss, the more the better. i even felt that paralyze and burn should be 2 coins one for enable and the other for damage with burn damage increased ( but rules cant be suggested tho).

the toughest decision i have ever made in card games goes to splitting a deck. literally taking out cards to make a new deck. its heart shattering in other games but you get used to it and grow stronger. my first decks were silly1,silly2... so one year or two ago. then i made modified theme deck of existing one while making my first true deck.

im still new to pokemon tcg as an adult. i have alotta programming books and videos to binge on so i wont have time to adequately respond with quality answers sorry//mailman jammed them in and crushed the cd.... oh well

gl
goodday

13 November 2018 - 11:51 PM

Pokegen85

Senior Trainer

• Pokegen85
While we are on the subject, I’d like to know how “consistency” is defined by most players. What games won vs games played percentage is the line drawn at? Do you consider conceding as the result of losing the opening coin toss as a loss? Sure it breaks streaks, but such concessions (before either player draws any cards) aren’t recorded as a game played in the deck’s statistics. What about tournaments? Do you have to win almost every one entered to be considered consistent? What if your deck finishes in the top two or four? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. :)

14 November 2018 - 01:22 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

(1)

unlike other card games pokemon is odd,
most of pokemon techniques are not ability moves, their energy dependent.
you must have exactly 60 cards but the ideal is yugioh of as low as possible-- for consistency.
a hypergeometric distribution if you can wrap your mind around it helps demonstrates this.
so dont worry about absolute consistency.

[...]

(2)
i think a useless card in yugioh is called a brick, idk what its called in pokemon.

[...]

(3)
as far as basics, there was a pdf on the poke probability and had the question of "how many basics" both to solve the 6prize and starting with one or more reliably.// this forum is meta heavy and doesnt like that tho

[...]

(4)
im still new to pokemon tcg as an adult. i have alotta programming books and videos to binge on so i wont have time to adequately respond with quality answers sorry//mailman jammed them in and crushed the cd.... oh well

gl
goodday

(1) As a fellow Yugioh player (although admitedly I haven't followed the meta much since the introduccion of the Link mechanic), I'd like to comment one thing about this. Yes, Yugioh gives you the option to play with a 40 card deck, but you have to considered that everything that allows you to draw is extremely restricted. The iconic Pot of Greed, which lets you draw a mere 2 cards (pretty much nothing by Pokemon standards), is extremely broken in Yugioh and is doomed to be banned forever. You can still play Pot of Desires, but you have to pay a hefty prize (10 cards banished face down), AND it has a strict once-per-turn limitation. That Grass Looks Greener also got hit by the banhammer eventually. Card of Demise is good, but you still need to pay a high cost for its activation. Card Destruction was banned for a very long time as well; it was only unbanned recently, and even then it's a limited card.

And then... Pokemon has Hau/Tierno/Cheren, which lets you draw 3 cards for free while only having a once-per-turn use as its only restriction. And those cards are considered to be BAD, even though in Yugioh they'd be beyond broken. Imagine for a moment if Sycamore existed in Yugioh (essentially it's Card Destruction with a once-per-turn limit, but you're allowed to have 4 copies in your deck instead of 1, and you always draw exactly 7 cards); it would be banned within hours of being released.

And that's pretty much how drawing and deck size in Pokemon stacks up to Yugioh; you're forced to use 60 cards, but you have a multitude of ways in which you can go through over half of your deck in 1 turn, while in Yugioh you can run a 40 card deck but most draw cards are severely limited.

(2) Yes, we also call those bricks in Pokemon as well. The same term might be used in many different TCGs tbh.

(3) I can give you a table I made with my Graphing Calculator real quick.

Number of Basic Pokemon vs Probability of Getting at Least 1 Mulligan:

• 01 Basic: 88.3%
  • 02 Basic: 77.9%
  • 03 Basic: 68.5%
  • 04 Basic: 60.0%
  • 05 Basic: 52.5%
  • 06 Basic: 45.8%
  • 07 Basic: 39.9%
  • 08 Basic: 34.6%
  • 09 Basic: 30.0%
  • 10 Basic: 25.9%
  • 11 Basic: 22.2%
  • 12 Basic: 19.1%
  • 13 Basic: 16.3%
  • 14 Basic: 13.8%
  • 15 Basic: 11.8%
  • 16 Basic: 10.0%
  • 17 Basic: 8.3%
  • 18 Basic: 7.0%
  • 19 Basic: 5.8%
  • 20 Basic: 4.9%

As you can see, adding more Pokemon to reduce mulligans suffers from diminishing returns. The difference between having a single basic pokemon and having 4 is of almost a 30% chance less of having a mulligan, but the difference between 15 and 18 basic pokemon is of a mere 5%.

If you ask me, a 30% chance of a mulligan is acceptable. In the decks I have the most number of Basics I have around 12, which is a 19% chance of a mulligan, which is also good.

(4) Welcome to the Pokemon TCG. You'll find it to be very different from Yugioh in some aspects, but it's definetely very fun.

While we are on the subject, I’d like to know how “consistency” is defined by most players. What games won vs games played percentage is the line drawn at? Do you consider conceding as the result of losing the opening coin toss as a loss? Sure it breaks streaks, but such concessions (before either player draws any cards) aren’t recorded as a game played in the deck’s statistics. What about tournaments? Do you have to win almost every one entered to be considered consistent? What if your deck finishes in the top two or four? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. :)

For me at least, for a deck to feel consistent I need to be able to pull off my setups and combos almost all of the time (can't give an exact percent, but maybe 80% or over). This doesn't mean that I'll win those 80% plus of my games; if my opponent can also get his setup and combos going, we stand on even ground, so setting up successfully does not guarantee winning. Losing too often can feel frustrating for sure, so for my decks to feel satisfying to play I do think I should have a 50% winrate at the bare minium (but ideally over 60%). In that sense, for me a consistant deck should win in about 50-80% of the times. Although, again, for me it's more important to actually be able to play the deck than winning every time.

So for example, I don't like donk using decks. When you manage to win the coin flip (already a 50% chance limitation), your opponent has a single (or maybe 2 at most, and that's a big maybe) starting Pokemon, and you can get to your donk cards (Lasers, Virbank, Latios, what-have-you) it's a guaranteed win. But if you lose the coin flip, or if you fail one of the other 2 conditions, you can't do jack against a well constructed deck (even if it's a non-meta deck). It will net you fast wins, but you'll only be able to actually play your deck in less than 50% of the times so it feels bad to use plain out.

For similar reasons I really like Night March. You have a million tools to setup correctly, so it's extremely unlikely you will not be able to obtain a minimum of 120 damage turn 1 and draw a DCE so you can actually attack. Most people prefer to go first given the choice too, so the coin flip ends up being a win-win scenario against a lot of people (if you lose, your opponent still choses to go first, which is exactly what YOU want). The only deck that has consistently stopped my Night March on its tracks has been Trevenant, and even that deck isn't too terrible now that Wally is gone (good riddance). Once a Sableye controll deck got rid of all of my DCE's rather early, but after a literal 30 minute war of attrition I won (and pretty much only because my oponent ran out of patience. He would have beat me otherwise). Other than that, I've always been able to set up an attacker that can OHKO (or 2HKO as worst) one of my opponent's pokemon, which leaves very little space for RNG loses while leaving more room for skill, patience and mind games.

So to sum up my opinion, somewhere between 50 to 80% winrate is nice, but for me it's much more important that I can play my deck like I intended on 80%+ of my games regardless of that game's outcome (win or loss). I just want to feel that I actually played the game, even if I eventually lose the match.

Edited by Sakura150612, 14 November 2018 - 01:49 AM.

14 November 2018 - 01:30 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Consistently just means how likely the deck can execute its strategy. A deck can be consistent yet still underperform cuz it just isn't that great. This is why people play Sycamore, ultra ball, Cynthia, Lillie, Sightseer etc and shy away from things like Hau, Looker, Whitney etc (unless they're playing an exodia deck or something), because the former allow you to dig through your deck faster than what the latter can do and quickly find the cards you need, thus the former makes your decks more consistent. Stage 2 decks are generally less consistent cuz getting out a stage 2 takes more time/luck than getting out a stage 1 or basic, thus most decks don't play more than one stage 2 line.

14 November 2018 - 02:15 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

I got my best deck and made a couple changes. Would this be ok?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 2 Magnemite BKT 52
* 1 Raikou SLG 32
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Tapu Koko-GX GRI 47
* 1 Xurkitree-GX PR-SM SM68
* 1 Magneton FLI 35
* 1 Magneton PLS 44
* 1 Magnezone PLS 46
* 1 Magnezone FLI 36

##Trainer Cards - 38

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Thunder Mountain {*} LOT 191
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 166
* 1 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 2 Volkner UPR 156
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Acerola BUS 142
* 1 Aether Paradise Conservation Area GRI 116
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Ultra Ball SLG 68
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Electropower LOT 172
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107

##Energy - 10

* 1 Beast Energy {*} FLI 117
* 1 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 8 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

16 November 2018 - 02:52 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Probably going to make another topic because every time I ask for feed back on a deck the post dies and everyone stops replying

16 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

B03, on 15 Nov 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:
Probably going to make another topic because every time I ask for feed back on a deck the post dies and everyone stops replying

I was going to reply to your decklist, but I just happened to be busy when you posted, and then I kinda forgot xdddd

Well, anyways. I don't have like 20 minutes before leaving now, so I'll give you some initial thoughts on your list. I'm mostly going to talk about your Pokemon, since I think that's where you could use some improvement the most.

This is something we didn't include in our previous advice in this thread, but your choice of pokemon lines and in what proportion you take them can also impact your consistency. We talked about taking Pokemon like Tapu Lele-GX (which is still stupid expensive, so don't worry about that one for now), but it's also important that the rest of your pokemon follow a clear strategy and that you have enough of each one to be reliable but not so many that it bricks your deck. Reaching that perfect balance point comes down to playtesting and fine tuning, but I'll give you some tips to get there.

Firstly, it's not to clear in this deck what your main goal is. You have a diverse mix of cards that do different things each without much synergy. Jolteon-EX is for control against Basic Pokemon reliant decks, Xurkitree-GX for control against Special Energy reliant decks, Tapu Koko-GX just for normally attacking, regular Tapu Koko for spread damage, Magnezone FLI and Raikou for charging and Magnezone PLS for double Supporters. None of them work towards the same (or a similar) goal.

> I honestly can't advise using PLS Magnezone. I won't really help your consistency, much less if you only have 1 copy. Keep in mind that any given card in any given game has an individual chance of 10% of being prized. Even if you run more copies though, in this deck double supporters won't help you set up anything

> You have to decide what your goal is in this deck. If your goal were to control or stall, you should put more focus on Jolteon-EX and Xurkitree-GX (meaning, take more copies of each one). To that you'd have to add more pokemon and trainers focused around that goal, such as Hammers. If you want to go this route though, you'll need advice from someone else, because I know next to nothing about building control decks. I only know what I've seen other players use.

> Magnezone FLI is meant to charge quickly your Pokemon, so it would go well with Pokemon that do a lot of damage and need the energy acceleration. For example, Raichu-GX would do very well with this deck since you do 20 damage more for each lightning energy you have in play. In your current list none of your Pokemon really benefit from that all that much. If you did want to use Magnezone for energy acceleration, you would have to run a 3-1-3 line and some Rare Candies.

> I don't know about the Raikou. It's up to you, but I think it would be better to focus only on Magnezone for energy acceleration.

> As a general advise, never run a single copy of a Pokemon that you intend to use often. For your main attacker, always take 3-4 copies (or a 4-4 line for Stage 1 Pokemon, or a 4-2-4 line with rare candies for Stage 2 Pokemon). For supporting pokemon it's ok to take only 2 copies (or a 2-2 line for Stage 1, either a 2-1-2 line or a three-one-three line [EDIT had to write it out with words because the filter is riddiculous >.<] with rare candies for Stage 2). Taking a single copy of anything that's evolved is usually a bad idea unless you have a way to put it in play without actually evolving. So, even if it's a not so important Pokemon, taking 1-1-1 lines or 1-1 lines is usually bad. Taking a single of something as a tech is fine though. So say you don't have much use for Jolteon-EX or Xurkitree-GX on a deck where you focus on doing big damage; you can still take 1 of each as a counter card for decks like Night March and that'd be perfectly fine.

It's good to see you took our advise on the Cynthias and the Sycamores; that should help a good bit. I still think that taking 4 VS Seekers is a must, and that taking 2 Battle Compressors even on non-discard decks helps a ton (since you can Battle Compressor a Supporter and VS Seeker it whenever you want to later). I'll take a better look at your Trainers later, I have to leave now.

Regarding your energies, I think you can justify taking 10+ basic energies here since you're accelerating from the hand with Magnezone, although the final count will depend on which strategy you settle on. That Beast Energy is a no-no though, because you have exactly 1 Ultra Beast in your deck, meaning you probably won't get any use out of it in most games. If you decide to settle on a Ultra Beast focused deck though, then yes, Beast Energy is good. Same for the DCE; whether it's useful or not will depend on what Pokemon lineup you settle for in the end.

Edited by Sakura150612, 16 November 2018 - 01:08 PM.

16 November 2018 - 04:01 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Only reason it is such a mix of pokemon is because I do not really have much choice when it comes to electric type pokemon. I tried to do trades but no ones ever does them so I am stuck with these for now. You would also think that there would be a lot of good electric types in the new packs but I have not found much which sucks. On a side note, I found out that they unbanned venusaur which is great because I have a lot more grass pokemon and venusaur allows me to use those with attack that cost 4 energy.

16 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Only reason it is such a mix of pokemon is because I do not really have much choice when it comes to electric type pokemon. I tried to do trades but no ones ever does them so I am stuck with these for now. You would also think that there would be a lot of good electric types in the new packs but I have not found much which sucks. On a side note, I found out that they unbanned venusaur which is great because I have a lot more grass pokemon and venusaur allows me to use those with attack that cost 4 energy.

Hmm, I see. What kind of trades are you trying to set up? If you're more familiar with the physical TCG this will sound counter-intuitive, but it's usually a lot harder to trade cards for cards than it is to trade packs for cards, and specially so if what you're trying to trade isn't particularly high in value. I just got a ton of packs buying codes, so maybe I can help you get some specific things if you need them. Remember that in the Trading forum there's Watto's Junk Yard too, where they can give you some of the stuff that you need.

16 November 2018 - 11:15 PM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Hmm, I see. What kind of trades are you trying to set up? If you're more familiar with the physical TCG this will sound counter-intuitive, but it's usually a lot harder to trade cards for cards than it is to trade packs for cards, and specially so if what you're trying to trade isn't particularly high in value. I just got a ton of packs buying codes, so maybe I can help you get some specific things if you need them. Remember that in the Trading forum there's Watto's Junk Yard too, where they can give you some of the stuff that you need.

I put out most or all of an evolution line or I put some pokemon that are at least the same typing. I tend to ask for 1-2 cards and offer 2-5 cards. You would think that they would be taken since most trades I see are people offering like 1 caterpie for 8 cards most of them gx.

16 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I put out most or all of an evolution line or I put some pokemon that are at least the same typing. I tend to ask for 1-2 cards and offer 2-5 cards. You would think that they would be taken since most trades I see are people offering like 1 caterpie for 8 cards most of them gx.

Hmm, I see. Don't think that those absurd trades ever get accepted though, because they don't xd

But yes, in this game packs are literally money, and without them it becomes harder to obtain stuff. I have some things you can use I think, I have exactly 3 spare VS Seekers left (I have a total of 7). Would you like to have them? I'll go ahead and send you a friend request in-game. I might have some other goodies for you too. As long as it isn't a Tapu Lele-GX, I can probably do something about it.

17 November 2018 - 12:35 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Hmm, I see. Don't think that those absurd trades ever get accepted though, because they don't xd

But yes, in this game packs are literally money, and without them it becomes harder to obtain stuff. I have some things you can use I think, I have exactly 3 spare VS Seekers left (I have a total of 7). Would you like to have them? I'll go ahead and send you a friend request in-game. I might have some other goodies for you too. As long as it isn't a Tapu Lele-GX, I can probably do something about it.

well i got 1 v.s seeker so 3 is the perfect amount. Not sure about other cards since I like to keep like to keep 2-3 decks to play with and change them up whenever I get a good card from packs. Thank you for your help so far, my first couple posts on this forum were not nearly as productive or as nice as this has been. Not that the community was all bad but mostly because thsi one guy kept commenting on my post saying that I sucked and knew nothing while he went on saying how good he was and claiming that I was trying to "steal his" decks.

17 November 2018 - 12:58 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Dang, it's a pity that that's what your first experience in the forums was. Don't worry though, there will always be a few trolls but they never last very long before they quit.

I already sent you the Friend Request. After you accept it, remember to tag a random common for trade and I'll send you the trade offer.

17 November 2018 - 01:07 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

Dang, it's a pity that that's what your first experience in the forums was. Don't worry though, there will always be a few trolls but they never last very long before they quit.

I already sent you the Friend Request. After you accept it, remember to tag a random common for trade and I'll send you the trade offer.

I accepted it

17 November 2018 - 04:32 AM

B03

Trainer

• B03

A bit of an off topic question, how do you get the last star in the practices?