Which card? Vote #1: Cynthia or Sycamore?

• Please log in to reply

09 November 2018 - 01:20 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I have decided to run a voting survey every now and then. It will run for about a month, and then I will tally up each vote and the one with the most votes wins.

Now standard players, I know you don't use Sycamore anymore (because you can't), but before you go saying anything, imagine yourself in the shoes of a expanded format player. Same goes for expanded players.

I would also like to know why you think the one you voted for is better.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

09 November 2018 - 01:34 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

While I do think Cynthia does a good enough job, given a choice (as is the case in Expanded) I prefer Sycamore. Without Puzzle of Time, it's a little more punishing to discard now, but I still think in most situations you're better off burning through your deck quickly even if it costs you a few key cards.

Discarding does mean anything good I discard is gone, but it also means that any bricks I discard I can't draw again either. With any shuffling card you run the risk of drawing the same bricks again, at which point you might have to scoop. Not like Sycamore can't give you a hand of new bricks, but your chances of drawing something useful are better

I'd say using both is the better option, but I always take more Sycamores than Cynthias or Ns. I use those mostly if I absolutely cannot discard (as in, if I'd deck out with Sycamore or if I had all my remaining DCE's in my hand), but otherwise, I almost always prefer Sycamore.

(Incidentally, I don't really feel the lack of Sycamore in Standard to be that bad. Before, using Shauna for 5 cards always felt kinda bad, but Cynthia's 6 card seems to be the magic number. I'm not left feeling that I'm not drawing enough cards).

09 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

A very good question.  When Prof. Oak's theo was a thing, is wasn't uncommon for people to call it the best supporter card ever printed.  But it's so ironic- I found this song in my old Jazz collection just the other day:

They call it "un mauvais amour"

They say, "he's too brash, so say au revoir"

They think that he's wasteful, fast-living, and crude

But I couldn't care less, even if it is true

That he's my Sick love

Mon mauvais Amour

I'd rather live broke in a carraige

Than in Paris with any other

And though suitors shuffle through

Six at a time

There's nothing they can do

To make themselves mine

I just say, monsieur,

Let me show you the door

Because I have my sick A-mooooour!

Edited by SuperStone, 09 November 2018 - 02:27 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

09 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
I’m an expanded format player. I’ve used Juniper/Sycamore and Cynthia throughout my Pokémon TCGO tenure. I find that between the two supporters, I prefer Cynthia. Yes, even in expanded.

I’’ve realized after many hours of gameplay and watching video of others play that to maximize my consistency, I need to be open to trying new strategies. I find that when I stick to the expanded format orthodoxy of Sycamore/VS Seeker/Professor’s Letter, my games won versus games played falls off of a cliff.

I actually prefer playing against opponents who use Juniper/Sycamore, because while they discard rare candies, VS Seekers, max potions, and whatever else that could be useful to find what they’re looking for, I’m pulling just as fast, I’m able to use almost all of my cards to the best of their potential, and in many games that’s a difference maker for me.

So to borrow a phrase from the immortal Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier), when it comes to using Sycamore I’ve just “Cut it out.”

10 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

LeoLöweLeo

Rookie Trainer

• LeoLöweLeo

Cynthia since you can still use the cards on your hand while Sycamore discards your whole hand. Sycamore is like your last resort.

12 November 2018 - 01:11 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
I prefer Sycamore. Digs through the deck faster

12 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
Although I like Cynthia for the fact that it made a couple of strategies more viable (that would otherwise struggle using the typical Juniper / N combo in Expanded), Juniper / Sycamore is the superior card.

Juniper rewards streamlined deck building and a good concept of tempo, while Cynthia is more convenient to use, which makes it a better option for beginners. Never the less, if you want to get good at this game (preferably while playing Expanded *** you need to learn how to play and build a deck around cards like Juniper.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

14 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison
Sycamore/Juniper is superior but not by much.

A big mistake new players make is never wanting to discard any cards hence why you see Shauna!? or Great Ball!? in decks when those two cards should NEVER see play. Cynthia does get you 6 cards over Shauna giving you 5 but Sycamore gets you 7 cards.

Another plus for Sycamore is that grabbing cards from the discard pile is WAY too easy to the point that battle compressor exists to throw cards in the discard pile. There is so many cards like Rescue Stretcher, Energy Retrieval, Revive, Vs seeker, and so on. The only cards that stay in the discard are items since Puzzle of Time got semi banned in Expanded but Malamar and Sableye can grab items too.

All in all, the penalty for discarding your hand usually is not a penalty at all.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"