Help needed for budget deck!

• Please log in to reply

07 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

bassoe1212

Rookie Trainer

• bassoe1212

I'm fairly new in the pokemon tcg and after some inspiration I was making a budget deck to play with. I came up with the folowing:

Pokemon (17):

4 Murkrow (GRI)

4 Honchkrow (GRI)

4 Latios (SLG)

2 Seviper (BUS)

1 Giratina (XY Black Star Promo)

1 Remoraid (BKT)

1 Octillery (BKT)

Trainers (33):

4 Acro Bike

4 Energy loto (GRI)

1 Field blower (GRI)

2 Altar of the Moone or Virbank city gym

4 Nest Ball (SUM)

4 Poison barb (SUM)

4 Pokenav (CES)

4 Professor Kukui (SUM)

2 Underground expedition (CES)

4 Shauna (FCO)

Energy (8):

4 Double colorless energy

4 Darkness energy

Total: 58

I was wondering if this deck could be any good and what could be changed to make the deck better. Also, which stadium should I use?

07 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
Want to know a secret? Promise not to tell? Okay, here it goes. *Deep Breath* You need energy attached to your Pokémon in order to attack. Having less than ten energy in a deck is bad because there are six prize cards... if too many your energies get bottled up in your prizes, you’ll find yourself unable to answer your opponent’s KO’s.

While we are on the topic of energies, I see that you have no Pokémon that pull energies out of discard, and/or no energy retrievals. Suppose I’m playing against you with a disruption deck and discard your energies, or (Le Gasp!) the energy prize bottleneck described above happened and I managed to axe your attacker with a well timed move and your only playable energy is in the discard. You’ll either have to concede or sit there and watch as I tear through your O-Line (I love American football, please forgive me) without a way to counter.

Either way, please consider adding a touch more energy to your deck.

Moving on, let’s talk about field blowers. I never leave home without at least three safely tucked away in my deck. Why you ask? If one gets discarded through deck thinning or a card like Mars, I’ll still have a couple left to knock away any choice bands, spirit links, or troublesome stadiums like Virbank or Shrine of Punishment*.

*This particular card won’t affect your deck as you currently built it, but if you add any GX Pokémon to beef it up, you’ll want to get rid of it ASAP.

Next on the discussion agenda is switches, float stones, or Pokémon that give free retreats like Solgaleo GX. You’ll want to sneak at least a couple in to ensure you have the correct Pokémon out and ready to battle. If I pull out an escape rope or Guzma, how are you going to answer my tactic without expending your precious energies?

Since I mentioned Guzma, I notice your deck has a severe lack of snipe supporters such as the aforementioned Guzma or Lysandre (not the prism star, mind you). You’ll want to be able to pull Pokémon off of your opponent’s bench and deal with them before they become a threat (or if they are worth two prize cards and are sitting targets like Tapu LeLe GX. Another type of Pokémon you’ll want to snipe are draw supporters like Oranguru or your Octillary, and energy retrieving supporters like Malamar. Shut these down and your opponent might get bricked! Bring at least two or three to make sure you have opportunity to use them.

You could also do with a Pal Pad to recycle supporters back into your deck to be used again, and a rescue stretcher or two to return Pokémon in discard to your hand or deck as needed. If you want to play with the big boys, you’ll want to get a copy of my girl, Karen. She forces both you and your opponent to shuffle all Pokémon in your respective discard piles back into your deck. Nothing shuts down Night March/Vespiqueen like a well timed Karen!

Your deck is draw supporter heavy. Consider removing a few or some deck thinners to make room for the cards I’ve listed above.

That’s all I have for now, as I have to get started on a research paper that I’ve put off. I hope this help you get well on your way to success. Have a blessed and fun day full of Pokémon battles!

07 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

bassoe1212

Rookie Trainer

• bassoe1212
Thanks for your awnser. I still find it difficult to make a deck. Can you send a deck list that looks better?

07 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

Thanks for your awnser. I still find it difficult to make a deck. Can you send a deck list that looks better?

I recommend using a search engine to seek out the website of DarkIntegralGaming. It has a great deck building guide. It walks you through the ratio of Pokémon to Trainers to Energies that decks generally have, what types of trainers that every deck needs, and the quantity of each type of trainer one would need. These numbers vary wildly depending on what type of deck that you want to run.

One player’s deck list might not work for another player’s deck (for instance, my deck doesn’t use nest balls because I have two Brigettes). Your deck list should be tailored to suit your strategy. For instance, I prefer consistency above all other factors when choosing which cards to include, so I’ll rarely if ever use high risk/high reward trainers like VS Seeker. If you’re the devil may care type, you’ll want four of those in your deck.

DarkIntegralGaming’s deck building guide should give you some ideas of what cards you’ll need, and as you play you’ll make adjustments until you get the balance right. Practice makes perfect. No one comes out of the gate with a perfect deck, but if you are tenacious and keep at it, you’ll be winning tournaments and making it rain booster packs all over the place!

Edited by Pokegen85, 07 November 2018 - 08:30 PM.

07 November 2018 - 10:45 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

A couple of things. I'm assuming that you're playing Expanded, since a few of the cards on that list (such as Virbank and Octillery) have already rotated from Standard. If that's the case, you should consider the following:

>There's pretty much no reason to not take 4 VS Seekers. They allow you to recycle ay supporter in your discard pile so they are very powerful. This means that you usually run only 1 or 2 copies of each supporter, saving you some space. If anything is absolutely critical for your deck you run at least 2 to significantly decrease the chance of it being prized. Usually, the only one I run 3+ of is my main draw supporter (Sycamore in Expanded. Cynthia gets the job done in Standard too). With supporters like Lysandre/Guzma and N I usually only run 1 or 2 of each (definetely 2 Guzmas in Standard because of the lack of VS Seekers, but you can get away with just 1 in Expanded).

>Discarding is really not that terrible in this game, so using Sycamore as your main draw supporter (discard hand, draw 7 cards) is pretty good. Using 3 or 4 is good imo. 2 is fine depending on the deck. I think You should replace the Shaunas with Sycamores. If you still want to use Shauna, just replace them with Cynthia (it does the same thing, but you draw 6 cards instead of 5). You can combine this with 1-2 N cards to add disruption (N'ing your opponent to 1 card can be devastating and clutch you a win in a losing game).

>If you're only attacking with Honchkrow and Latios, the most important energies are the DCEs. Your basic energies are just a backup, so I don't think you need very many of them. In fact, you could get away with using only 4 DCE and nothing else. That said, you absolutely must take Special Charge to recover them. I used to run 1 Special Charge in my Night March deck, but now I have to take 2 because Puzzle of Time is banned (rip). If you can burn through your deck quickly you shouldn't have a hard time drawing the DCEs. Having 1 of them prized is fine, 2 is kind of bad but it has a very small chance of happening. The chance that you prize 3 or 4 is practically null, so I wouldn't worry about that.

>If you want to take Virbank, I think you should cut down on the poison barbs and use Hypnotoxic Lasers instead (they are still kinda expensive though, so maybe not).

>If you want to focus on Honchkrow's attack as your main strategy, I think I'd be better if you cut the extra fluff (Latios and Seviper. Giratina is fine if you have a way of discarding it more than once. Octillery is OK, but Shaymin EX would be better if you can afford it) and added instead a line of bats (zubat, golbat and crobat). Golbat and Crobat place damage counters upon evolving, and you can de-evolve them to recycle the effect with either Devolucion Spray, or recovering the 3 cards using AZ and Super Scoop-Ups. You'll spread damage faster that way than using poison.

>You won't need heavy discard like Night March, but running 2 or so Battle Compressors seems like a good idea regardless. You can discard your Giratina, you can discard supporters so that you can access them via VS Seekers, and you can discard any cards that won't be useful anymore in any particular game.

>If you follow my suggestion and take somewhere between 4 and 8 energies (4 being just the 4 DCEs and 8 being what you're currently using), energy lotto is not that great. You'd be better off running Trainer's Mail since decks (save for some exceptions) tend to have a higher proportion of Trainer cards over anything else.

>I think Field Blower is fine at 2, specially if you're taking Stadium cards since you aready have a different way of discarding your opponent's stadium.

>Since you are taking a non-EX/GX deck, you would really benefit from Shrine of Punishment. That's a lof of damage counters you would be placing. Mostly to decks that rely on EX/GX, but stuff like Shaymins and Tapu Leles still take damage in between turns. The other good option (which might not be ideal since you also take damage) would be Team Magma's Secret Base. If your opponent has a full bench, they're taking at least 130 from your Honchkrow (2 damage counters each pokemon + 10 base damage).

>Underground Expedition isn't bad, but you're better off discarding your hand and drawing 7 cards straight up (Sycamore).

08 November 2018 - 01:53 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Ah, honchcrow. :) That's one deck I never bothered to build, but I've always kind of liked the mechanic.  I think it's a deck that benefits greatly from the Tapu Koko promo, who can get some good spread damage out early.  That will necessitate running special charge, but as Sakura said, that's a very good idea anyway.  You also might consider counter energy.  As for tools, I don't think poison barb is very strong in this deck.  You'd probably be better off with choice band.  Now, I presume you're running Latios as a psychic counter/bench sniper?  Well, it's not bad at that, but I think for the weakness hit you're better off with something like mewtwo Evo.  I also suggest a second remoraid.

And welcome to the Putsgof! :)

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

08 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
Doctor, doctor, give me news. I got a bad case of outdrawing you.

I’d put two Pokemon on the bench that give draw support. Want a guaranteed energy? Sneak a Slugma and Magcargo into your deck to smooth over the card, and have Oranguru or Octillary fish it out for you!

Another great hat trick towards getting energy is using a deck thinner like Ultra Ball to discard them and then have a Malamar pull it out of discard for you.

Either of these strategies are far better than cluttering your deck with Professor’s Letter.

Edited by Pokegen85, 08 November 2018 - 02:27 AM.

08 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Ah, honchcrow. :) That's one deck I never bothered to build, but I've always kind of liked the mechanic.  I think it's a deck that benefits greatly from the Tapu Koko promo, who can get some good spread damage out early.  That will necessitate running special charge, but as Sakura said, that's a very good idea anyway.  You also might consider counter energy.  As for tools, I don't think poison barb is very strong in this deck.  You'd probably be better off with choice band.  Now, I presume you're running Latios as a psychic counter/bench sniper?  Well, it's not bad at that, but I think for the weakness hit you're better off with something like mewtwo Evo.  I also suggest a second remoraid.

And welcome to the Putsgof! :)

This, 100%. I had completely forgotten that I almost got rekt by Tapu Koko promo using DCE and Counter Energy (and Honchkrow) in a random VS match. Those gards work very well together. You can throw in a few Counter Catchers as well, since you intend on playing from behind early on as these can really help you stall until you've spread enough damage to clean house with Honchkrows.

This isn't really necessary, but you can aslo include 1 Tapu Lele (non-GX) to move around damage counters. You can only use its attack with a Counter Energy wile you have more prizes left than your opponent, but if you and your opponent have, say, 2 and 1 prizes left (respectively), you can probably move around counters to KO 2 pokemon at once (or concentrate them all on 1 GX Pokemon for 2 prizes).