Idea for dealing with the recent spam posts (disclaimer: not sure if it's possible or if it will work)

• Please log in to reply

06 November 2018 - 03:15 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I intended to send this to a Mod as a PM, but it doesn't seem to be possible so I'm just posting it in public. Also, I know this isn't feedback about the game itself, but there is no other suitable forum section, and I think we're all tired of seeing the same guy creating infinite accounts and spam posting endlessly (plus it must be a lot of extra work for the mods to ban each account one by one and manually remove all of the spam posts).

After doing some searching in the internet, it seems that a lot of these spam posts in chinese come from WeChat and QQ (and maybe some other related domains. Why do they do this? I don't know, but if all these accounts are being created with emails from the same domains each time (q {dot;com}, qq{dot;com} etc {had to get around the filter, sorry for that xd}), the best solution would be to ban the entire domain (or domains) that are the source of the spam.

Again, don't know if it's possible, if it would work, of if it's something that the Mods or TPCi staff have already tried and simply didn't work. I'm simply laying out this possibility in case it hasn't been attempted yet. If there aren't any legitimate users signing up using emails from these domains, there should be no harm in banning the whole domain.

If that doesn't work, from what I've read online, other online forums solved their issue by just banning all chinese domains as a whole, althought that might be too extreme and not be something TCPi is willing to do since it could affect real users using chinese domains among the countless chinese spambots (not to mention it could be seeing by some as discrimination, which is definetely something TPCi doesn't want). Again though, just banning the qq domain (and the other specific problematic domains) shouldn't be an issue)

I don't have too many hopes for this suggestion working, but here it is anyways.

EDIT: I really hope it's as simple as prohibiting the creation of accounts using emails from the problematic domains (q, qq and any others that the spambot is using). This stupid spambot is getting worse by the minute. I don't really think this hasn't been tried already, but who knows. This might just be the solution if it hasn't been attempted yet.

Edited by Sakura150612, 07 November 2018 - 01:56 AM.

06 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

I intended to send this to a Mod as a PM, but it doesn't seem to be possible so I'm just posting it in public. Also, I know this isn't feedback about the game itself, but there is no other suitable forum section, and I think we're all tired of seeing the same guy creating infinite accounts and spam posting endlessly (plus it must be a lot of extra work for the mods to ban each account one by one and manually remove all of the spam posts).
After doing some searching in the internet, it seems that a lot of these spam posts in chinese come from WeChat and QQ (and maybe some other related domains. Why do they do this? I don't know, but if all these accounts are being created with emails from the same domains each time (q {dot;com}, qq{dot;com} etc {had to get around the filter, sorry for that xd}), the best solution would be to ban the entire domain (or domains) that are the source of the spam.
Again, don't know if it's possible, if it would work, of if it's something that the Mods or TPCi staff have already tried and simply didn't work. I'm simply laying out this possibility in case it hasn't been attempted yet. If there aren't any legitimate users signing up using emails from these domains, there should be no harm in banning the whole domain.
If that doesn't work, from what I've read online, other online forums solved their issue by just banning all chinese domains as a whole, althought that might be too extreme and not be something TCPi is willing to do since it could affect real users using chinese domains among the countless chinese spambots (not to mention it could be seeing by some as discrimination, which is definetely something TPCi doesn't want).
I don't have too many hopes for this suggestion working, but here it is anyways.

As you know I am your close partner in hating spam posts. I would think that they have already tried. But yes, the mods should keep trying to remove these spam posts.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 06 November 2018 - 03:07 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

07 November 2018 - 12:12 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

As you know I am your close partner in hating spam posts. I would think that they have already tried. But yes, the mods should keep trying to remove these spam posts.

Yeah, I didn't really think I could come up with something that they haven't already tried. Just holding on to the slim hope that I found something helpful to stop the spambot. It's annoying for us the users, but it must be just as bad for the Mods who have to delete each spam post manually. Fingers crossed for them to eventually be able to get rid of the spam source.

Edited by Sakura150612, 07 November 2018 - 01:47 AM.

07 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

If they could just make signing up for an account to post a bit harder....

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

07 November 2018 - 09:28 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Exactly!
Try try again. Never ever quit.

07 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I thought that adding a captcha to the login could help, but the account creation process already includes a captcha and the spambot is getting around it without an issue by the looks of it.

Other than banning the domains that the spambot it using, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be a pain for the Mods. The other thing I thought was for your first post on the forums to require aproval of a Mod or an Admin. From what I've read some small communities do this, but even with our decreased forum activity it could still be to much work for the Mods to read an aprove or reject every single first post made (and they'd still have to manually reject every single spam post; we users would never see the spam, but the Mods would still get flooded with spam).

The only other thing I can think of would be for a TCPi representative to send a complaint to Tencent, but they've never done jack about the QQ spam being permanently sent to emails and posted in various forums, so it would most likely achieve nothing.

If we can't ban the domain, and we can't increase the security of account creation and log in to the point where bots can't get through it, requiring moderation on your first post and praying that the spammer eventually gets bored would be the only thing we'd be left with.