Exodia Deck (no, I'm serious)

• Please log in to reply

02 November 2018 - 03:29 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Alright, I'm surprised there is no talk of this so I'm asking the thoughts of the forum on these Unown cards (listing the name of the abilities because the name of the cards themselves are all "Unown"):

DAMAGE:
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, once during your turn (before your attack), you may win this game if you have 66 or more damage counters on your Benched Pokémon.

HAND
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, once during your turn (before your attack), you may win this game if you have 35 or more cards in your hand.

MISSING
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, once during your turn (before your attack), you may win this game if your opponent has 12 or more Supporter cards in the Lost Zone.

Personally, I think that these new win conditions are hilarious and I'd love to see some decks trying to use them. But sadly, none of them seem too viable even for casual play. The HAND one seems like the most doable one if you can set up some Zoroark-GXs and spam draw supporters, but if you get Judge'd or Marshadow'd it's gg, and it's pretty common to see people running 1 or 2 of those per deck. The 66 damage counter one seems really rough too since there are still Escape Ropes and Guzmas a plenty, and you can't heal to avoid KOs because you need the damage to get to your win condition. I don't know about the last one; I do know that there are effects that allow me to send the opponent's cards to the Lost Zone but I don't know how quickly I could send 12 Supporters there, or if it's even realistic to hope to send that many in a game.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

(PS: if the chat were still a thing, and if I ever made an Unown deck, I'd type EXODIA OBLITERATE! in the chat before activating the ability xdddd I can't resist some good Exodia memes).

Edited by Sakura150612, 02 November 2018 - 03:31 AM.

02 November 2018 - 05:47 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello there Sakura, I agree with you these win conditions do seem very difficult to pull off. I would be interested to see the decks that would be built around pulling these off. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

02 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Hello there Sakura, I agree with you these win conditions do seem very difficult to pull off. I would be interested to see the decks that would be built around pulling these off. 

Hi! Yeah, I'm curious to see what can be done with these cards too.

Back when Legacy was just starting I once stumbled upon the Lost Zone and found out for the first time that Pokemon actually had an instant win condition (other than the standard decking out or having no pokemon left). Ever since then I'd been wanting to try something like that, but I never got the chance to try it out since the cards I needed for LostGar were too expensive (and Legacy is RIP anyways xd). But now it seems like I'm getting a 2nd (and cheaper) chance. Once these cards become more readily available I might try to come up with something myself.

02 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

playhavock

Junior Trainer

• playhavock

I've made a deck for HAND.

Damage can be done in Extended.

No idea for Missing at all.

02 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

The” Hand” win condition can be achieved quite easily on turn 1 if you play Unlimited.

A shame that we can't play this mode any more, it would certainly be a lot of fun :D.

On top of my head I can't think of a good way to get this to work consistently in Expanded, but I'll put on my thinking cap and see where the journey takes me.

As for the other ones I don't think that they are viable, as the conditions are extremely difficult to achieve.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

02 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I've likely had that much damage on my bench before with Metagross/Solgaleo GXs, but planning for it? Maybe not.

If the deck weren't becoming increasingly vulnerable to fast setup decks like Buzzwole....

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

02 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I personally don't think the Damage on has any viability.  The supporter one would work really well in specific matchups, but most decks don't have much more than 12 supporters total and whence they saw your strategy would be able to play around it.  However, a 1-off tech could make things steamy. :)

As for hand, while it would be difficult to pull off, there are enough draw cards in the game that it's at least possible.  But I agree that, despite being at their lowest levels in about a decade, duo-shuffo cards are still too common to get away with this.  You basically need a format where they're all banned. :P

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

04 November 2018 - 12:55 AM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison
I really feel like those 3 cards will get some cards later that will make those conditions easier to hit. The amount that is required is really high and doesn't seem to have any reason as to why those numbers were picked.

35 cards in your hand is an insane number. Most I've ever had was 21 when I used to play a Simisage hand fling deck. I imagine we will be getting some new draw cards later that will help with that.

66 damage counters seems reasonable with GXs hitting 200+ HP. I can see some cards like Commotion Gyarados that add damage counters to your own Pokemon being a thing.

12 supporters is the one that looks to be the one you could achieve now with so many new Pokemon tossing everything into the Lost Zone. 12 is a lot but I could see that happening.

I wanna make those cards work because alternate win conditions kinda dont exist now since mill decks are not viable right now. Hopefully the next set will have the cards to make Unown scary.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"

09 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

KaiLaSo

Senior Trainer

• KaiLaSo

Hi! Yeah, I'm curious to see what can be done with these cards too.

Back when Legacy was just starting I once stumbled upon the Lost Zone and found out for the first time that Pokemon actually had an instant win condition (other than the standard decking out or having no pokemon left). Ever since then I'd been wanting to try something like that, but I never got the chance to try it out since the cards I needed for LostGar were too expensive (and Legacy is RIP anyways xd). But now it seems like I'm getting a 2nd (and cheaper) chance. Once these cards become more readily available I might try to come up with something myself.

Interesting deck I just saw darkintegralgaming but fail at the first round :( 31 cards at his hand  :angry:

09 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

I personally don't think the Damage on has any viability. 

There’s actually a way to consistently pull off the 66 damage counters condition. I’m only going to hint at it here because the tactic is very cheap, has your opponent sitting for half an hour while you game the system, and can only be stopped by an ability blocking Garbodor deck (or something similar). It involves the use of Team Magma’s secret base, benching or having active a couple 250hp Wailord EX out, a certain Pokémon I won’t name that turns itself into a PokeTool, and a certain Pokemon I also won’t name that allows you to remove PokeTools from your Pokémon and put them into your hand. I’m suspecting that the powers that be will ban a link in this chain soon, or else expanded format is going to be flooded with it.

09 November 2018 - 10:14 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

There’s actually a way to consistently pull off the 66 damage counters condition. I’m only going to hint at it here because the tactic is very cheap, has your opponent sitting for half an hour while you game the system, and can only be stopped by an ability blocking Garbodor deck (or something similar). It involves the use of Team Magma’s secret base, benching or having active a couple 250hp Wailord EX out, a certain Pokémon I won’t name that turns itself into a PokeTool, and a certain Pokemon I also won’t name that allows you to remove PokeTools from your Pokémon and put them into your hand. I’m suspecting that the powers that be will ban a link in this chain soon, or else expanded format is going to be flooded with it.

Yeah, I saw the video on ユツフ゛(just trying to get around the filter btw, it's not a japanese site xd). Thus far this seems the most feasible Unown setup.

I hope you forgive me, but I don't believe there is a thing such a cheap tactic. Whatever gets you the win (without cheating ofc), is a valid way of winning. People have said that out of a multitude of decks and I can't really say I agree. Honestly though, this isn't even cheap. You don't have to sit there waiting for all 66 damage counters to be generated 2 at a time and then moved 1 at a time. The moment your opponent completes the setup just concede, you know you lost already. Your opponent will appreciate it too since he's saving time as well. So, with that said, I'm sharing the tactic.

For this to work you need 7 pieces. It's almost a literal Exodia; the moment your opponent puts in place the final piece it's gg. You need 2 Wailord-EX, 1 Weavile (the one that recovers tools), 1 Reuniclus (the one that moves your damage counters around), Klefki (the one that becomes a tool), Team Magma's Secret Base, and finally, Exodia's Head Unown.

What you do is bench the Klefki, which takes 20 damage from the Secret Base. Then, use Reuniclus to move those 2 damage counters to a Wailord-EX, and then attach the Klefki as a tool to your active pokemon. After that, you use Weavile's ability to bring the Klefki back to your hand, bench it again, and repeat the process until you collected 66 damage counters. After that, you just have to move the Unown to the active slot (which does require a trainer to do, since you don't run any energies), and then you Exodia Obliterate!!! win the game. Although like I said, once all the pieces are on the board, just concede. It's not bm or anything, just give your opponent the good old "well played" and end the game. It's pretty brilliant, if you ask me.

To be honest though, I don't see people spamming this in expanded. Even if it's the most viable of the three Unown right now, there are much consistent decks out there. This is something you'd just do for fun.

09 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Yeah, I saw the video on ユツフ゛(just trying to get around the filter btw, it's not a japanese site xd).

That... while it's clear what you're trying to say, G.Translate says that's a different word that SHOULD be censored, given the standards of this board. :lol:

09 November 2018 - 11:29 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

That... while it's clear what you're trying to say, G.Translate says that's a different word that SHOULD be censored, given the standards of this board. :lol:

I actually had no idea what a yutz was supposed to be xd I don't live in an english speaking region, so I wouldn't know, but is that something people call each other as an insult? I had to resort to the Urban Dictionary to learn what that's supposed to mean xddd

Also, G Translate fails as hard as ever I see. I never, ever thought it was capable of mistranslating katakana xd It was supposed to be read as "yutsubu".

09 November 2018 - 11:46 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

I didn't even mention the effect that the Reuniclus had because I didn't want to be the player that was blamed for opening Pandora's Box. I mentioned just enough for players in the know to nod silently, but you went the extra mile and spilled beans everywhere. GG Sakura150612. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by Pokegen85, 09 November 2018 - 11:49 PM.

09 November 2018 - 11:57 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I didn't even mention the effect that the Reuniclus had because I didn't want to be the player that was blamed for opening Pandora's Box. I mentioned just enough for players in the know to nod silently, but you went the extra mile and spilled beans everywhere. GG Sakura150612. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You weren't going to be blamed for anything anyways dude xd It's just one more strategy among many others. Completely valid to use.

10 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I actually had no idea what a yutz was supposed to be xd I don't live in an english speaking region, so I wouldn't know, but is that something people call each other as an insult? I had to resort to the Urban Dictionary to learn what that's supposed to mean xddd

Also, G Translate fails as hard as ever I see. I never, ever thought it was capable of mistranslating katakana xd It was supposed to be read as "yutsubu".

Apparently, few enough people use it that the censor doesn't know about it.

It did indeed convert the katakana to "yutsubu," but then it translated THAT. Maybe it left off the "bu" to get what it got.

I live in an area where there was, at some point, a large enough Yiddish-speaking population that it influenced my parents'/grandparents' vocabulary.

10 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Apparently, few enough people use it that the censor doesn't know about it.

It did indeed convert the katakana to "yutsubu," but then it translated THAT. Maybe it left off the "bu" to get what it got.

I live in an area where there was, at some point, a large enough Yiddish-speaking population that it influenced my parents'/grandparents' vocabulary.

Ahh, I see. So it's a word that gets more use locally. Almost all of the foreign population in Chile comes from other latin american countries so we probably have very few Yiddish-speaking people in here.

10 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

The_Archives

Novice Trainer

• The_Archives
Damage one would be easy peasy with a Primal Groudon spearheading the attack, Wailords on the bench and a BW Reunicleus on the bench.

Basically a wall strategy, except that they won't dare to attack you for over 660 damage now. Of course, setting up would be slow, but as long as you have Choice Bands and healing items your defenses can't get taken down.

It does have a certain weakness towards mill decks, though. And super slow set up without proper searching engines.

11 November 2018 - 06:55 AM

Ninjaneering

Rookie Trainer

• Ninjaneering

Apparently, Unown DAMAGE donk is a thing now.

There are currenly two ways to do it-
1- Archie's Blastoise and Energy Reset
2- Klefki Tear Away

Archie's Blastoise uses, Archie's Blastoise, Wailord EX, Frozen City and Energy Reset to deal damage to itself. The idea is to go first, and on your first turn, set up Deluge Blastoise and Frozen City as quickly as humanly possible, and repeatedly damage your own Pokemon with Frozen City's effect. Theoretically, yes, it can win before the opponent can go, but it's pretty tough to pull off.

Klefki Tear Away has a more unusual set up, but once it's set up, you win. You need Unown DAMAGE, Reuniclus (BW), Tear Away Weavile (STS), two Wailord EXes, Klefki, and Team Magma's Secret Base all in play. The secret sauce is to put down Klefki, take 20 damage from Team Magma's Base, move the damage somewhere else, use Klefki's ability to attach itself to a Pokemon, and then use Weavile to return it to your hand, and repeat ad infinium.

Neither one is particularly easy to set up, but it does work. Just don't try Klefki online. It'll take five years to finish.

Edit: didn't see Sakura150612's post. Basically what they said.

Edited by Ninjaneering, 11 November 2018 - 07:00 AM.

11 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

TheMy5teryMan

Novice Trainer

• TheMy5teryMan

How about winning with Unown Hand in Expanded? You can draw 15 cards in one turn by using Dual Brains Magnezone, Whitney, and VS Seeker. Combine this with the Sableye that prevents your opponent from playing a supporter (N) and you can win if you pull it off!