Gem and Event Ticket Purchases Ending for the Pokémon TCG Online

• Please log in to reply

30 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

On October 29, Pokemon.com announced the following news.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/gem-and-event-ticket-purchases-ending-for-the-pokemon-tcg-online/

Accordingly, the GEM program will be discontinued and no more event tickets can be purchased. In the VS mode, however, event tickets will continue to be available so that it is unlikely that the tournaments will also be discontinued. Not yet immediately. Who knows what the future holds. What do you think of the whole thing?

30 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

As for the tickets, good riddance. It was basically a noobtrap for people who didn't realize that tickets were plenty available in-game without having to spend a cent. Imo at least, the current amount of tickets obtained from daily wins and ladder-climbing is good enough and doesn't need purchased tickets as a complement.

As for gems, hard to say. On the upside, now the market is fair (I'm assuming that gems never expanded from Canada, which was how things were 2 years ago. If this was no longer the case, then ignore this entire 2nd paragraph) since we won't have cards selling for millions of packs while a few select people could buy them for only a couple of bucks. On the downside, it might have been better for them to expand worldwide rather than shutting down. I don't feel too strongly either way though.

30 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

One thing.

Canada, having access to gems, had access to an avatar box that no one else could get. Is it gone, or can everyone else get it now?

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

31 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

Without GEMs and ticket sales, the PTCGO itself no longer generates any money, but only through real life purchases. Of course, the real life business is the most important and biggest.
But in addition, more and more features are deleted. (Legacy and ticket events, weekly shop bundles, event rewards rotation etc.)
Does this indicate that PTCGO will soon be completely stashed?

01 November 2018 - 01:50 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Does this indicate that PTCGO will soon be completely stashed?

No.

Fundamentally, this game is a promotional device and practice ground for the main TCG.  It doesn't have to make any money itself, as long as TPCi thinks it benefits them in other areas.  And if you look at the sheer number of people who play this game, it's hard to doubt it's succeeding as a promotion.  True, there are probably not many who discover pokemon through this platform.  But many, I think, get much more involved because of it; and likely many decide to buy physical cards so they can play IRL.

So basically, TPCi is unlikely to shut this down until either they have something better to replace it or nobody uses it.

Edited by SuperStone, 01 November 2018 - 01:50 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

02 November 2018 - 12:22 AM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

I already know that, but why are more and more features deleted in the game?

02 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I already know that, but why are more and more features deleted in the game?

Good question. :)

My cynical side says because they're money-loving rude people who know none of us are going to leave because of it.

I try not to listen to my cynical side. I can't give any sort of definitive answer, though.

Edited by SuperStone, 03 November 2018 - 12:19 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

03 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I've always believed that Gems were a very bad deal for the Community as a whole.  By allowing only a select group (one country) to purchase things with real money, it set up an economy with harmful side effects (price manipulation, greed, coveting, etc.).

By getting rid of this system, I'm ever hopeful that they'll start making products available in the Shop again.  I'd love to see more promos, gameplay items, and avatars go up for sale.  For that matter, with everyone on an equal footing, they could even make them tradable.

Edited by RobRatt, 03 November 2018 - 12:10 AM.

06 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Good question. :)

My cynical side says because they're money-loving rude people who know none of us are going to leave because of it.

I try not to listen to my cynical side. I can't give any sort of definitive answer, though.

How does that make sense given that the PTCGO was likely never intended to make money... or at least, it was only flirted with hence Gems being only offered in select markets.  Tickets were offered more widely, but I still think that was more an option for busy, gainfully employed folks who wanted to play in Events when they could instead of having to grind Tickets (which is easy, so long as you have the time).  About a year ago, an online acquaintance of mine was lamenting there wasn't some sort of "subscription service" where you didn't have to unlock cards so he could focus on playing; I think he said it was worth $10-$20 USD per month if he could just play the official TCG online.

Anyway, my point is that cutting back on features is only a financial thing is the Dev Team is shrinking or being given more work.  It is most likely about efficiency.  Legacy saw a dramatic decrease in players, so it just wasn't worth it to dedicate resources to it.  Same for anything else we've lost... yeah, that includes Chat. >.>

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)